PDA

View Full Version : Age Limit?

DisneyTwirler13!
04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
This is kind of a wacky question...
My mom is like all other moms... protective, to say the least. We went to the Grand Canyon, and would stand, like, five feet away from a two foot wall, and she would be practically hyper-ventilating. Suffice to say, she doesn't like any of us to walk around by ourselves in WDW.
However, we posed her with a question today; if we all stuck together, could we (we being me and my two sibs) spend the day somewhere else in the resort? She said that she was open to it, but was concerned about an age limit for my brother, about children entering and walking around w/out an adult.
Can someone shed some light on this? Is this something she should be worried about, or is there nothing like it?
TIA!
P.S. If it helps, my little brother is in the 10-11 age, but doesn't look it.

slpngbty56
04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
We have let our kids(16,14,12) on several occasions go to the parks without us, but they must stay together at all times.

Gooftroop5
04-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I was 12 & my brother was 14 when we went & my parents let us wander around the park & ride the rides by ourselves. They we were in the same park & we had a time limit that we were allowed & had to meet back with them.

That might be what you can do enter the park with your mom & then split off with details of where & when to meet back together. Just make sure you do then she will be more willing to let you do it again. She might find she really enjoys her freedom too.

Disney Lynn
04-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Rather than what age he looks , what age does he act? Is he willing to go along with you and your sister, acknowledging that you are in charge in the absence of your parents? Or does he rebel at being bossed by his two older sisters? (Can you tell that I have a younger brother?)

Also, since you live so close (lucky you!), I assume all of you visit WDW often, know your way around the parks, & know which rides you like or dislike. Will your brother be willing to do the same things that you two do (rides, shows, etc)? If not, one of you should stay with him while the other rides. I think he's too young to be left alone. Also, I assume you know which Men's Rooms might have two different exits so that you don't lose him!

Finally, legally- you're all minors and as such would not be able to authorize medical care for yourselves or each other. (True emergency care can be authorized by a doctor, but for anything else, there will be a delay while your parents are contacted.) I don't know if WDW has any "rule" about unattended minors, but I think most of us have seen youngsters on their own at WDW. Maybe their parents or chaperones were somewhere in the park, but certainly not any where near their kids. And ocassionally, you can tell that the kids are on their own because they're acting up (cutting in line, heckling the characters, etc). If your Mom decides to let you three go by yourselves, she's trusting that you all will be mature enough to act responsibly, even in an emergency situation. If you are the oldest (like me), any "fallout" from bad behavior will land on your shoulders. So are you willing to be responsible for your younger siblings?

#1donaldfan
04-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I've not seen any age limits, but I'm sure there are, just for liabiltiy reasons...in case someone would want to just drop off the kids for a day......not smart...

....I would feel comfortable cutting ours loose for a while, they are 16/13/10 and as long as they stick together they would be fine....:mickey:

mouselover93
04-05-2008, 09:06 AM
back in december i problay spent 75% of the day by myself and my parents knew that i was alone. the only time i saw them was if we had dinner reservations or when i got back to the hotel. 99% of the trip i was problay in a diffrent park with them. im 14 and they had no problem. also my 17 year old sister and 17 year old drum major from our marching band and his 15 year old sister all hung out together and sometimes i would just walk off and my sis would just call my cellphone and i'd say im goin on so-and-so attraction, or i'm going to get something to eat, or im going to a diffrent park and she would just say ok if you want to meet back up with us just call me, tony, or nicole

DisneyTwirler13!
04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Rather than what age he looks , what age does he act? Is he willing to go along with you and your sister, acknowledging that you are in charge in the absence of your parents? Or does he rebel at being bossed by his two older sisters? (Can you tell that I have a younger brother?)

Also, since you live so close (lucky you!), I assume all of you visit WDW often, know your way around the parks, & know which rides you like or dislike. Will your brother be willing to do the same things that you two do (rides, shows, etc)? If not, one of you should stay with him while the other rides. I think he's too young to be left alone. Also, I assume you know which Men's Rooms might have two different exits so that you don't lose him!

Finally, legally- you're all minors and as such would not be able to authorize medical care for yourselves or each other. (True emergency care can be authorized by a doctor, but for anything else, there will be a delay while your parents are contacted.) I don't know if WDW has any "rule" about unattended minors, but I think most of us have seen youngsters on their own at WDW. Maybe their parents or chaperones were somewhere in the park, but certainly not any where near their kids. And ocassionally, you can tell that the kids are on their own because they're acting up (cutting in line, heckling the characters, etc). If your Mom decides to let you three go by yourselves, she's trusting that you all will be mature enough to act responsibly, even in an emergency situation. If you are the oldest (like me), any "fallout" from bad behavior will land on your shoulders. So are you willing to be responsible for your younger siblings?

Yeah, sometimes he doesn't act like a ten year old. Sometimes he listens, sometimes he explodes with the whole "You're not mom/dad" thing.
We know which rides we like, but there's always one or two (or five!) that he will not ride on. Usually, when one of us doesn't like the ride the rest are going on, we wait in the gift shop near where they exit off the ride, but I don't know if that is what my mom would like, being as we're without an adult.
We've also been around the park by ourselves when we're going on a ride that my parents don't want to, like Star Tours.

Thanks to all for all your responses! They've all been really helpful!! :)

tinkerstinker
04-05-2008, 08:16 PM
We first let my 2 DD's go off by themselves when they were 16 and 12. They took one of our cell phones and were not allowed to leave the park that we were in. They(esp. the oldest) was/is extremely mature and with them having the phone, I was fine with it. They've gone off by themselves every trip since(not always) and last year went all over WDW property without us(they were 18 and 13).
I really think it highly depends on the maturity of the child. Also, the younger they are, the more physical boundaries that should be set. For example, our girls had to stay in the same park as us and we checked in with each other on a regular basis.
I'm certainly not comfortable with two 10 or 11 yo's going off alone, even in the same park, though I have seen it. It really is up to your parents. There has to be some letting go at some point, but you and your siblings also have to prove the maturity to go along with it. :mickey: