PDA

View Full Version : House Warming Party

ShelbyAD
04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a few questions regarding House Warming Parties.

#1 - If you are the host - do you supply ALL of the food and drinks?

#2 - if you are invited to one - do you feel that you are obligated to bring a gift?

#3 - Is it ok to ask for an RSVP?

Tick-Tock
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Disclaimer : only my :twocents: --

1 - Yes. Unless a party clearly is a potluck, the host supplies all food and drink. I would be surprised if I were invited to a housewarming that turned out to be a potluck.

2 - For a housewarming, I would probably feel like I should bring a small gift. It's kind of like a shower for a house, isn't it?

3 - Yes. It is a guest's duty to accept or decline an invitation within a reasonable time. But many people don't get that concept (or may not be able to find your phone number or e-mail, etc.), so I don't see a problem with a host asking for a RSVP.

Mickey'sGirl
04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
My :twocents: are just like Tick-Tock's......

#1 - If you are the host - do you supply ALL of the food and drinks? Absolutely. BUT....If somebody offers to bring something, you can certainly accept it!

#2 - if you are invited to one - do you feel that you are obligated to bring a gift? Absolutely. In years past it was salt, bread and wine. The idea is to bless the house.

#3 - Is it ok to ask for an RSVP? Absolutely. It is hard to plan for an event if you are not sure of the numbers!

On another note....wouldn't it be nice to have a house re-warming a few years later...you know to get some nice new towels, or some candles or something nice? :D

ShelbyAD
04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
On another note....wouldn't it be nice to have a house re-warming a few years later...you know to get some nice new towels, or some candles or something nice? Not a bad idea - especially if you have done some remodeling, painting, new furniture, etc. :thumbsup:

Jasper
04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
On another note....wouldn't it be nice to have a house re-warming a few years later...you know to get some nice new towels, or some candles or something nice? :D

We actually did do this several years ago as a thank you to the people who helped us with a significant remodel of our house. Despite trying to insist on no gifts, most did actually bring gifts. I guess they never quite understood that the party was our way of thanking THEM for THEIR work on the house! (This was friends and family.)

ncscgirl2005
04-04-2008, 02:38 PM
#1 - If you are the host - do you supply ALL of the food and drinks? Yes but don't turn anyone away that wants to help. By the way, thanks MOM for all your help.

#2 - if you are invited to one - do you feel that you are obligated to bring a gift? Yes I would. Some people do registries now.

#3 - Is it ok to ask for an RSVP? Absolutely! That way you'll know approx. how many people to prepare for.

ncscgirl2005
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM

:cloud9:...Ahhhh....that would be nice

Disney Doll
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
#1 - If you are the host - do you supply ALL of the food and drinks?
Yes. Although don't be surprised if a guest shows up with a bottle of wine.

#2 - if you are invited to one - do you feel that you are obligated to bring a gift?
Yes. I usually default to a gift card for a home improvement store.

#3 - Is it ok to ask for an RSVP?
Absolutely. It's too hard to plan when you don't know how many to expect.

magicofdisney
04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
A registry for a Housewarming Party? That seems so tacky to me. I'm not sure why because I have no problems with registries for wedding and bridal showers.

Tink&Goofy
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Not a bad idea - especially if you have done some remodeling, painting, new furniture, etc. :thumbsup:
Kind of like a store that has a "Grand Re-Opening"?

1. Yes, the host supplies the food, but there are usually some guest that come with food contributions too.

2. Yes, I would always bring at least something for the host/house.

3. RSVP? That depends. If it is an Open House type event, then maybe not - as guests come and go the entire time frame. But for a more set time event, then yes.

crazypoohbear
04-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I would say as well that Yes you do supply all the food and drink unless guests ask if they can bring something then don't be shy thell them what you would like - make sure it's something they enjoy bringing - maybe their signature potato salad, or cookies or dip.

I was always under the impression that a house warming was a gift giving occassion.
I thought the reason for the house warming was to get help filling the house with the items you need now that you are a home owner. (anyone, is this correct, or have I been shammed??!!):)

It is polite to RSVP to any party you are invited to. I think that is common curtesy, but again as we have read on these boards, common curtesy has sometimes gone the way of the dinosaur :(