PDA

View Full Version : HUGE increase in rental stroller fees [merged threads]

CleveRocks
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Effective April 6, 2008, prices for stroller rentals skyrocket.

A single will rent for $15/day ($13/day with multi-day rental discount), up from $10 ($8 with discount).

A double will rent for ... and no, this isn't a typo ... $31/day ($27 with multi-day rental discount), up from $18 ($16 with discount).

Young@Heart
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
OMG! That's just crazy!!! I guess we won't be renting after all. :( That's just not a price I'm willing to pay.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind this?

goofy-4-disney
04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
on my last trip to WDW around new years i noticed a huge increase in the use of strollers in the parks making it hard to simply walk. there was quite a large number of kids who appeared to be ages 7 and up that really have no need to be in a stroller. imo this is an attempt to get rid of those people who take advantage of this. it just now leaves those who have small children that arent able to handle the walking to bite the bullet.

dolphinmickey9170
04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, there is always the other option of purchasing the strollers (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2014965910042804337ghMbgR) they have there. They were $40.00 (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2665292250042804337BqqOsD)in August of 2007. I'm not sure if they went up or not.

magicofdisney
04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
That is just unbelievable. I'm curious to see how less crowded the parks will feel now that stroller usage is sure to lessen. We'll be there next week for a couple of days.

Just a couple of years ago, the single was $7 and the double was $15.

ljv1975
04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
:eek: Yikes!! With the money you'd spend to rent for a week, you could buy a pretty nice stroller - brand new!

KylesMom
04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
My guesses:
*They need a new "fleet" of strollers - and this is a quick way to get it;
*They can charge what the market bears & get away with it; and
*Goofy-4-Disney is right - stroller rental for the "older" kids has gotten out of control.

IMOP, we've seen kids upwards of 8-10 years old lounging in the strollers, and it may be Disney's way of getting things back under control. Especially at peak times, including the summertime, this may be their way of "stroller control".

However, I will say this: If you need the stroller, either bring it from home or rent one.

merlinmagic4
04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Yikes! We bought that red stroller mentioned above at Sea World in November but I think it was only 30.00. Where do they sell them at Disney?

I'll definitely buy one or bring one for my two year old.

Also, try not to judge the older kids in the strollers. That older child might have a medical condition that you can't see (perhaps kidney failure or post transplant.......) I got so tired of the looks of people (not too many but a few) who had no idea why my son would be "lounging" in the stroller. Sometimes I feel like I should hang a sign around his neck but it's really none of anybody's business. Judging others is destructive at best. Thank goodness I think he can make it through the parks this year so I won't have to deal with it although we'd probably have to rent a wheelchair at this age (11 and just over 100 pounds!) anyway and he would NEVER do that!

moe513
04-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I think people will pay the price. We put our older child in a stroller because I find it safer. We dont have to worry about losing her in the big crowds because she is small and cant keep up. Ive never noticed any strange looks.

Von-Drake
04-04-2008, 07:43 AM
I find it more convenient to take our umbrella stroller anyway. But it really woks with us, since our son has Autism. even though he is considered high functioning, unless we are in line for an attraction, he will go sit right in his stroller. It really helps us keep up with him and for those times when he starts getting a little overwhelmed, if we find a semi-quiet spot for him to recoup a little and relax from being over-stimulated.

scootch713
04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
My kids are 6 and 8 and I am one of those who will pay for it. It is one of those things I have always termed "priceless".. haha.. guess it it is now "pricey"!

My daughter who is 8, doesn't actually ride it in... but the use of it to watch a show(like High School Musical) where she can sit in it, with a back to lean up against and be out of the sun, makes it worth it to me. I take my girls alone to WDW so any way I can keep them a bit fresher means the world to me.

goofiecrazy
04-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Just another way to over pay for something that could be priced at a reasonable price.For the price of the stroller they sell you could get 2 of them at like Target or Wal-Mart.Its just crazy what the price is for everything and look at the economy how its going down hill.Thank god we decided to bring both our strollers in Sept. then renting one.

Emme&TeddysMommy
04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow that’s expensive. We are going this year and were going to rent a double stroller on the night we got to Fantasmic and MNSSHP to try and cut down on the stuff we have to carry out of the park when everyone is trying to get on the busses after the show and Halloween party. I have Irish twins under the age of two. Last year when we went we didn’t use Disney strollers because the baby was only 2 months old. I glad we spent the extra money last year buying light weight travel strollers with straps and a bag for travel, because I would be able to afford a Disney double stroller for 7 days.

#1donaldfan
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I hope the reason is in an effort to reduce the number of strollers parked at attraction entrances.

This past July the entrance to Soarin was littered with strollers and while the building is HUGE, I didn't see that many children inside that were "stoller" ages.:mickey:

mook3y
04-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Wow. well... then i would have to say the best investment I made last year was buying too many double stroller "rental" coupons and bringing them home. With that kind of jump, it far out performs my 401k! :thedolls:

Ian
04-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I suspect it's an attempt to reduce the number of strollers in the parks.

Hopefully they'll do the same thing with the motorized scooters, so I'll no longer have to be terrorized by The Scooter Mafia when strolling around Main Street.

merlinmagic4
04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow that’s expensive. We are going this year and were going to rent a double stroller on the night we got to Fantasmic and MNSSHP to try and cut down on the stuff we have to carry out of the park when everyone is trying to get on the busses after the show and Halloween party. I have Irish twins under the age of two. Last year when we went we didn’t use Disney strollers because the baby was only 2 months old. I glad we spent the extra money last year buying light weight travel strollers with straps and a bag for travel, because I would be able to afford a Disney double stroller for 7 days.

When we went to MVMCP the strollers were free so maybe they will be at MNSSHPP? I hope so :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I agree--that is quite a price hike. And while I understand the sentiment about cutting down on some of the stroller use, I think we have to remember that this puts an extra financial burden on the people who really do need the strollers (it would be the same if they increased the rental fee for ECV's too).

Ian
04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
And while I understand the sentiment about cutting down on some of the stroller use, I think we have to remember that this puts an extra financial burden on the people who really do need the strollers (it would be the same if they increased the rental fee for ECV's too).If it becomes too much of a burden, you can always bring your own stroller. That's what we do.

I mean in reality, renting strollers at WDW is nothing more than paying for convenience. It's not like it's some kind of necessary social service. Disney should charge whatever the market will bear for it and convenience services always cost more.

biodtl
04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Wow - that may be the deciding factor in my rent/buy dilemma. DD is 4 and I don't want lug our large stroller to WDW anymore, but I definitely want to have one in the park. I was thinking about buying one of the lightweight strollers that folds up easily (and small), but is still sturdy enough for a child her age and has storage. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money, though. But now, seeig that the rental would cost me an additional $45 ($104 total), I realize I can get a really nice one for a lot less and have it in the airports, too.

Hopefully they'll do the same thing with the motorized scooters, so I'll no longer have to be terrorized by The Scooter Mafia when strolling around Main Street.

I understand where you're coming from, but I hope they don't - they are already expensive enough and DH legitimately needs one (he fell 28 feet and landed on his feet so he can't walk distances), but we really don't need the extra expense.

mickey&missy
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Yikes!! That's a crazy increase!

We rented a double for our two older kids when we went last month. DS is 5 and DD turned 7 on the trip. We rent the double for a few reasons. We wouldn't have rented one at all if we felt safe letting DS walk but he doesn't pay close enough attention to his surrounding and would end up knocking into someone or getting lost. Renting for DS to sit we had to rent for DD to sit too otherwise there would have been an arguement.

We also had the babies stroller.

Next trip, in January, we'll probably rent a single for DS and DD will walk!

MNNHFLTX
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
If it becomes too much of a burden, you can always bring your own stroller. That's what we do.

I mean in reality, renting strollers at WDW is nothing more than paying for convenience. It's not like it's some kind of necessary social service. Disney should charge whatever the market will bear for it and convenience services always cost more.I agree with you, to a certain extent, that this is true with the strollers. But the ECV's would be another matter altogether (if they ever did increase the rates).

Anyway, since it goes into effect the day after tomorrow, we should be able to gauge fairly quickly what the effect on stroller use will be.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
That is totally ridiculous especially since they are not gas powered! You can buy a nice stroller outside the gates at any large retaler for that cost and just throw it away when you are done and still spend less money!!!!!!

Von-Drake
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Hopefully they'll do the same thing with the motorized scooters...
Kind of a harsh statement, when some people may truly need that convenience for mobility.

Jeff G
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, there is always the other option of purchasing the strollers (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2014965910042804337ghMbgR) they have there. They were $40.00 (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2665292250042804337BqqOsD)in August of 2007. I'm not sure if they went up or not.

We purchased this stroller for my 2 year old last year and for $40 it was a really nice stroller. We figured since we were there 8 days spending $40 once vs. $15/day this was a no brainer. It's actually a quality stroller that seemed resonably prices and the best part is that it's the same colors as Mickey Mouse. My son loved riding his Mickey stroller in WDW and he still does today.

As for the raised stroller rental fees, that is crazy at first glance. But after looking at the numbers this actually could make WDW more in profits. If they rent 2/3 of the single and 1/2 of the doubles the profits stay the same and my guess is that the demand will drop some but it wont be it won't be by 1/3. With the raised prices anything less than a 1/3 drop in rentals means more profit. Plus by renting less stollers there is less overhead, maintenacne & replacement costs.

Spaceship Tigger
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Jacking up the price of stroller rentals to reduce the number of strollers in the parks makes no sense. That unfairly punishes those that actually need them. If they wanted to do that, it would make more sense to have pricing levels where they charge more for stroller rentals that are used for older children.

We bring a stroller for DD who is almost two, but our son is only four and still needs a stroller in places like Epcot and AK. He's too heavy for an umbrella stroller, but the WDW stroller types work great. So if we don't want to pay the insane rental fee, I guess we're expected to go buy a big jogging stroller for him to bring just to WDW?

I expect yearly price increases at WDW, but honestly the place is getting out of hand.

TBY2225
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I bought 2 umbrella strollers at Babies-R-Us for about $15 each for my kids then 2 and 5. They are easily folded and even have a storage bag on the back. It was no trouble to get the strollers on and off the bus and took up little room in the car on the way down. We made them stand out by buying the small bicycle licence plates and putting our last name on them. We actually found some at Wal-Mart that looked like our state flag!

TheRustyScupper
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
1) WDW knows you will share no expense for the little prince or princess.
2) Or princes and princesses.
3) After all, look at the ridiculous prices for BBB and character meals.
4) Let alone the new surcharges for meals during popular times.

crazypoohbear
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM

I'm not sure how renting a stroller will cut down on the stuff you have to carry out of the parks, you are not allowed to bring the strollers out of the park so you would still have to carry everything out. You would be better off bringing your own stroller from home to lug everything out in.

I agree that the price of the rental strollers are going to be HIGH! Maybe Disney is trying to phase out their own strollers, in today's sue happy existence
people could be trying to sue Disney because their cherubs have hurt themselves jumping in or out of the stroller,
the stroller didn't have adequate shade and they got sun burned and it is Disney's fault. The safety strap didn't work and Suzy fell out when we ran over that ladies foot so Disney must pay for pain and suffering. Etc, etc, etc.

KylesMom
04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
A double will rent for ... and no, this isn't a typo ... $31/day

I was just thinking of this - that is what we pay for a mid-size car from National while in Orlando through our Emerald Aisle program!!! In fact, last June I think we only paid $25 a day!

Von-Drake
04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Let alone the new surcharges for meals during popular times.

Errrr not to get off topic but ...
What new meal surcharges?

Mickey'sGirl
04-04-2008, 11:56 AM
When we went to MVMCP the strollers were free so maybe they will be at MNSSHPP? I hope so :thumbsup:
They are. :thumbsup:

Except for one late EMH, DS4 successfully went stroller-less this past trip. Seems like we dodged this bullet! :D

thumperbug
04-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I hope the new prices do cut down on the stroller rentals as they are large, bulky and take up a ton of room in the parks. What they should do is invest in new strollers that are slimmer. I too am tired of getting run over by those large plastic beasts. I know people say they are convenient but at what cost. 2 yrs ago I invested $50 in a smaller, travel stroller from One-Step Ahead. It has the basket underneath and canopy on the top and because if its design it is sturdier then an umbrella stroller and does not tip over if you put anything heavier then a soda in the back. It also reclines for napping. The real plus is that when it folds up, it is very compact and then and you can just put it over your shoulder with the strap or sit with it between your legs on the bus and it does not take up any additional room.

DizneyRox
04-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I really can't see why Disney would want to lower the usage of these. I mean, what difference does it make, do excessive rentals cut down on park capacity? I can only assume profit is the motive behind this...

magicofdisney
04-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe this is a way to keep ticket prices down! ;)

DizneyRox
04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe this is a way to keep ticket prices down! ;)
Actually, it's about that time of year for them to announce the yearly price increase on those too

Magic Smiles
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I suspect it's an attempt to reduce the number of strollers in the parks.

I agree, the stoller use is out of control. Also I would imagine with so many of the bigger kids using strollers, they are probably being damaged to a greater extent. A co-worker rents a stroller for her son (older than 7 and not small) just because he is lazy. Her words!

johnfunkwriter
04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't really want to bring a stroller when we fly... but we'll need a stroller. Our children are are 4 and 6 and just can't handle long days in the sun (we're pasty Canadians).

Last year we rented a double... this year it looks like it's cheaper to rent 2 singles- why'd they price the singles cheaper? (just curious)

Because we're staying on-site, (no rental car) where should we look for a stroller to purchase?

I know we should plan for mid-day breaks... but if there's a hitch in our plan and we end up at the park longer than expected, they do much better in a stroller.

I'd like to think we practice good stroller etiquette...

Taja
04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but I hope they don't - they are already expensive enough and DH legitimately needs one (he fell 28 feet and landed on his feet so he can't walk distances), but we really don't need the extra expense.

If WDW ECV rental prices increase and strain your budget too much, check into renting one through an off-site company. If you ask for referrals on the Disabilities board, you'll have a good starting point for research.

The only downside to renting offsite is keeping the ECV in your room. It can be a bit tight, particularly at the value resorts. But someone who needs an ECV at all times would have it at all times, which just might outweigh the small disadvantage.

MNNHFLTX
04-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Errrr not to get off topic but ...
What new meal surcharges?There is now a surcharge ($4 per person, I think) for character meals and buffets during various times of the year deemed as "premium".

crazypoohbear
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I agree, the stoller use is out of control. Also I would imagine with so many of the bigger kids using strollers, they are probably being damaged to a greater extent. A co-worker rents a stroller for her son (older than 7 and not small) just because he is lazy. Her words!

Again, a bit off topic, but maybe not really.
I was reading these topics and wondering to myself, Hmmmm,

is this part of the reason we have so many overweight children?

Do we pamper them too much?

I don' t recall my mother ever having a stroller/pram for any of us children, we either walked everywhere or one of the older siblings carried the smallest.
But, then we also played outside all day, running, jumping, climbing, swinging, you get the picture, it was exercise to keep us busy and tire us out for a good nights sleep.
Does anyone remember their mom pushing them is a stroller at 4,5,6,7 because we were "too tired"?
I completely understand ligit medical reasons but... are we keeping them babies too long?

Disney Doll
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Another good reason to bring your own stroller which IMHO has always been the best option. We use a Combi umbrella. It's light, folds easily, has a storage basket, and has a shade. It maneuvers like a dream and is perfect for navigating tight spaces (like the crowds at Disney). I think it was about $80.00. I too would like to see less strollers in the parks especially those huge plastic monsters Disney rents. We took our nieces ages 3 and 5 without a stroller and they were fine. When they needed a break we rested. I think part of the stroller issue has to do with how much stuff people bring with them to the parks. People need strollers just to push around all the stuff they bring. Really it is so much nicer to pack light. I can't imagine that they actually use all the stuff the cart in.

ShanPooh
04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Too bad our stroller can't earn frequent flyer miles, cuz it looks like we're taking it with us again this year!
One of our goals this summer is to be "Disney-fit" for our trip in September.
That's going to mean taking our kids on several mile hikes and walks to get everyone used to the long distances. It will also help me lose some of the weight I will inevitably gain eating at WDW :blush:
Our almost 4 year old daughter will certainly need our stroller for longer days. We bring a Graco one handed stroller, which is lightweight for such a sturdy stroller and at least DH is able to use one hand to collapse it/fold it up.
Our almost 7 year old son will want the stroller sooner than his sister, but that's why we are going to be "in-training" this summer :walk:

GrumpyFan
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
While I think that price bump is outrageous, I have to wonder if there's something more behind the reasoning. Are they trying to reduce the amount of how many of those large beasts (strollers) are in the parks? Because they do take up a lot of space, and they tend to get mis-used. I've seen 2 tired teenagers jammed into one, which is clearly not what these are intended or even built for.

The downside to this is that more people will bring their own strollers and then be trying to get on/off the busses with. I pity the parents that have to do this. Personally, we refused to do so. We waited until our kids were old enough to walk on their own. Yeah we carried them a little, and had shorter days than we liked, but we didn't have to hassle with a stroller.

Jeff G
04-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Because we're staying on-site, (no rental car) where should we look for a stroller to purchase?

The above posted stroller was sold at many of the resorts, we purchased ours at the WIlderness Lodge. If you picked up one of these for $40 your kids could take turns using it and come out way ahead in the long run.

irish1967
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Or is it more of a "we are going to make sure we get every single minute out of this vacation that we possibly can" situation? An older child in a stroller will certainly last longer than one that is walking! Perhaps making it possible to skip the #1 tip - take a break!

ShanPooh We also get "Disneyfit" for our trips. I walk everyday (gotta be able to do 13.1 miles in 3 1/2 hours for the WDW 1/2 marathon :mickey:) but once school lets out, my boys start walking with me everyday so that they can enjoy our time at Disney w/out getting tired because of the walking.

Back to the original topic, we continued to rent strollers from Disney for a couple of years beyond everyday stroller use. We stopped when DS2 was 5 (I think) With the increased prices, we would probably bring our own now.

Emme&TeddysMommy
04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure how renting a stroller will cut down on the stuff you have to carry out of the parks, you are not allowed to bring the strollers out of the park so you would still have to carry everything out. You would be better off bringing your own stroller from home to lug everything out in.

I was just trying to avoid carrying out 2 strollers along with 2 kids and a backpack filled with the kid’s essentials. I know from previous experience that the buses tend to be packed after Fantasmic and MNSSHP. I know how frustrating it can be for other passengers when a stroller keeps poking them in the leg. I was also just trying to be considerate for my fellow passengers. Thank our lucky stars we are staying on property so what ever we purchase we can just send back to the resort.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Last year we rented a double... this year it looks like it's cheaper to rent 2 singles- why'd they price the singles cheaper? (just curious)

Convenience... What is easier? Pushing 2 smaller strollers or 1 bigger one? Especially for single parents or parents that are coming on a solo trip with their kids, etc. Can't easily manage 2 strollers...

Plus, I have seen a lot of people that have 1 child with a double... maybe for the extra room? I dunno... I don't know them, so I don't judge, but it does make you wonder...

slpngbty56
04-04-2008, 10:13 PM
WOW!! I sure am glad my kids are too old for strollers...Like many others have said I don't think I could afford to pay such a high price. DH had suggested renting one this Sept to hold all of our "stuff", but I think we'll be 86'n that idea.:mickey:

Buttercup
04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Ugh.
We're bringing our Graco (big) stroller from home for our infant daughter. My 3yo son still will need a stroller as well. We were planning on renting but that seems like quite the price hike. Maybe I'll consider trying to bring his umbrella stroller on the plane as well....

Young@Heart
04-05-2008, 01:47 AM
is this part of the reason we have so many overweight children?

Does anyone remember their mom pushing them is a stroller at 4,5,6,7 because we were "too tired"?
I completely understand ligit medical reasons but... are we keeping them babies too long?

I don't mind keeping my DD 5 a baby for as long as she'll let me. ;) God willing, she won't be our last. But if she is, we're in no desire to rush it.

I can't imagine not having a stroller for her for our Aug. trip. Yeah, she'll be a month over 5 yrs, but it's also going to be extremely hot and extremely crowded. We can only afford a week at WDW, so we try to fit as much as we can into that week. I have all summer off with my DC (it's great to be a teacher!), so our "vacation" at WDW is really an "adventure" to us. If having a stroller allows us to get around easier and more safely for DD, while getting more time in at the parks, there's no question about it.

Last trip, we brought our own, and even though we drive around the World, it's still a pain to bring a stroller into the parks. We had planned on renting this year, but I guess we're back to bringing from home. It's less convenient, and I always worry about it getting stolen, but I guess I'll take my chances over shelling out $100 for a rental. :(

BluewaterBrad
04-05-2008, 03:30 AM
I agree--that is quite a price hike. And while I understand the sentiment about cutting down on some of the stroller use, I think we have to remember that this puts an extra financial burden on the people who really do need the strollers (it would be the same if they increased the rental fee for ECV's too).

Yes, but usually 2% always ruin it for the other 98!:mickey:

loopner67
04-05-2008, 10:12 AM
That's a *lot* of extra money for a stroller. This makes me very glad that my two are finally old enough to not want a stroller anymore, but I really feel for those who have to have one.

crltkcagle
04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
:spend::rolleyes::rub::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw:!!!!

This price increase is absolutely ridiculous! I loved the big double that could fit all three of my boys in it. Now i am going to have to lug around my stroller! Well I guess with the cost of inflation on gas and groceries disney has the right to increase their prices too. LOL when does it end?

scootch713
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Using a stroller for my two kids(just turned 8 and 5 1/2 our last trip) had nothing to do with keeping them babies... it had to do with comfort. They were out of the sun and much more refreshed. I push them myself all week, without difficulty. It also keeps them in one spot since I take them alone, easier to know where both are. WDW is an expensive trip, we all do what we feel is best for us to make it a wonderful trip.

LottaLubes
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
At least we know where some of you can use your tax stimulus check! (Just kidding...)

Boy, this is a huge increase and I feel for the parents/grandparents of little ones these days. We only rented a stroller a couple times when our kids were younger and I don't think we paid more than $5 a day. However, we often brought our own stroller and used DHs shoulders.

I have a feeling there will be people who come out of an attraction only to find that their rented stroller has been "borrowed."

Maybe we need an Intercot stroller to be used where families can pass it along to other Intercotees when they have finished their vacation.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-05-2008, 07:31 PM
The downside to this is that more people will bring their own strollers and then be trying to get on/off the busses with. I pity the parents that have to do this.

Good point. I don't have to deal with strollers at the moment, but my sister does, and it's going to be hard for her to handle on the trips without DH.
If I recall... Mr. Disney said something about the reason he created Disneyland (World) is so parents would have someplace fun to go spend time with their kids.....This is making it much harder to do that. Remember, we're training the next generation to love the Magic, too! It's hard on families who are scraping up money to take trips as it is. I think it would be much better to hike the prices in another area, if need be.
:magic::baby:

just2mickey
04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Good point. I don't have to deal with strollers at the moment, but my sister does, and it's going to be hard for her to handle on the trips without DH.
If I recall... Mr. Disney said something about the reason he created Disneyland (World) is so parents would have someplace fun to go spend time with their kids.....This is making it much harder to do that. Remember, we're training the next generation to love the Magic, too! It's hard on families who are scraping up money to take trips as it is. I think it would be much better to hike the prices in another area, if need be.

:thumbsup: I could not agree more. While I understand rate increases, I cannot seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I fly my little prince:prince: (age 2) round trip on a 747 (with fuel prices up and I live 3 states away mind you )for less than the price of a 5 day stroller rental at WDW. Will it stop me from going? Absolutely not. I just hate it because it forces me to bring my own and have people behind me in the airport roll their eyes :rolleyes:when I am trying my best to get both kids through the screening machine, put on and take off my shoes as well as theirs, grab my stuff from the conveyor belt, push the stroller through, keep my eyes on my wallet, and yell at my husband because he isn't helping enough, while all the time looking for suspicious people. Good grief! I can see the headlines now..."Psychotic Disney Mom Takes Out Local Airport Security Screening Machine With One Hand." (because I am pushing the stroller with the other one.) Seriously though, I like a Lapu Lapu every now and then...perhaps they should slip a charge in on the alcoholic beverages:wine:. Besides, to all my LAPU friends:grouphug:, after one of those things, who cares how much the second and third one costs, right? That's it for me:hide:. Let the attack begin.

kbean
04-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Are they gas powered?

Ian
04-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Here's a thought ... this is a market economy in the U.S. Free enterprise.

If folks think the prices are too high for stroller rentals, I smell a business opportunity. Why doesn't someone open a stroller rental company in the Orlando Airport and rent them for half the price?

I bet you'd make a fortune! Drive Disney's stroller rental near extinction and they'll lower their prices. That's a free market economy in action.

CleveRocks
04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Here's a thought ... this is a market economy in the U.S. Free enterprise.

If folks think the prices are too high for stroller rentals, I smell a business opportunity. Why doesn't someone open a stroller rental company in the Orlando Airport and rent them for half the price?

I bet you'd make a fortune! Drive Disney's stroller rental near extinction and they'll lower their prices. That's a free market economy in action.Someone already beat you to it ... 10 years ago!:mickey: It's called A Baby's Best Friend. And I'm sure there are others, as well.

kathiep
04-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I was beginning to debate this topic for our September trip. We've always brought our own before but now that DS and DD are older, I was thinking of "renting as needed" instead of purchasing something new as DS has probably outgrown what I have.

Thanks for helping me decide that I need to get shopping.

Those prices are outrageous. I could get something brand new and OWN it for what the double would end up costing me for our trip!

just2mickey
04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I was beginning to debate this topic for our September trip. We've always brought our own before but now that DS and DD are older, I was thinking of "renting as needed" instead of purchasing something new as DS has probably outgrown what I have.

Thanks for helping me decide that I need to get shopping.

Those prices are outrageous. I could get something brand new and OWN it for what the double would end up costing me for our trip!

I completely agree. I cannot tell you how many strollers I have. I know this will sound crazy but we have honestly bought three strollers over the course of two years to find one that accommodates our needs. I have the McLaren and a Britax and I have even borrowed a Chicco in order to find one that is not an obstruction to to the aisles on the bus but still user friendly. With absolutely no pre-planning whatsoever, I was in Target and found one for $29 that was easy to manage and yet small enough to fold down quickly. I could not pass it up. My thinking is that I will use it while there and on the last day, if it becomes a hassle at the airport or did not seem to be the best investment, I thought I might just give it to another family. For $29, I do not mind sharing my good fortune in finding it. Maybe they will pay it forward also. My thing is, you have to keep the little ones comfy too. With the change in their schedules and the heat, I find that the happier they are~the happier we all are.

Emme&TeddysMommy
04-06-2008, 03:24 PM
:thumbsup: I could not agree more. While I understand rate increases, I cannot seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I fly my little prince:prince: (age 2) round trip on a 747 (with fuel prices up and I live 3 states away mind you )for less than the price of a 5 day stroller rental at WDW. Will it stop me from going? Absolutely not. I just hate it because it forces me to bring my own and have people behind me in the airport roll their eyes :rolleyes:when I am trying my best to get both kids through the screening machine, put on and take off my shoes as well as theirs, grab my stuff from the conveyor belt, push the stroller through, keep my eyes on my wallet, and yell at my husband because he isn't helping enough, while all the time looking for suspicious people. Good grief! I can see the headlines now..."Psychotic Disney Mom Takes Out Local Airport Security Screening Machine With One Hand." (because I am pushing the stroller with the other one.)

I am so glad to hear that someone besides me feels exactly the same way! :high5:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-06-2008, 03:53 PM
:thumbsup: Good grief! I can see the headlines now..."Psychotic Disney Mom Takes Out Local Airport Security Screening Machine With One Hand." (because I am pushing the stroller with the other one.) .
That's my girl! (That reminds me..."Add bail money to list....")

Just don't raise the prices on the Dole Whips!:papple:
(I'm still going to buy them. Just don't do it.)

Ed
04-06-2008, 04:15 PM
A few years ago, before we lived down here, we needed a stroller for one of the g'kids for a 10 day visit. Instead of bringing his SUV-sized stroller from home, and instead of paying rental fees for 10 days, we stopped by WalMart and picked up a folding "umbrella" type stroller for less than $10. It served our purpose very well, and at the end of our stay we simply stashed it in the storage compartment of our RV for possible future use. (It's still there, in fact!) If we had been staying in one of the hotels, I would have simply trashed it or left it in the room when we checked out. For the price, it was a perfect solution for us.

disneydeb
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, we could save that money and start staying OFFSITE! That may get Disney's attention!

DunkinNut
04-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh my goooooooooodness! That is nuts. Ummmm, what would have been wrong with say a $5 hike? That's nuts! That settles it - the little Mr. will be riding in the $40 umbrella stroller we bought at Disney last year. Wavy gravy.

And that analogy about flying for less - that really hit home! Soooooo true.

Why couldn't they just say kids only x age and younger and the child must be with parent when picking it up - otherwise a "administration fee" of $5 extra dollars is added. That would deter many people from renting for children that are seemingly too old.

merlinmagic4
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Why couldn't they just say kids only x age and younger and the child must be with parent when picking it up - otherwise a "administration fee" of $5 extra dollars is added. That would deter many people from renting for children that are seemingly too old.

I don't know that it is necessarily the AGE of the children in the strollers that is reason behind the price hike. Those were just some comments from people that they didn't like to see older children in the strollers; Disney hasn't said that.

Stacey
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree with a poster above; we were at AK and MGM yesterday, and there were a plethora of kids over the age of 6 and 7 being wheeled around by parents that don't want to hear them gripe about having to walk. :confused: When our son turned 4, we stopped renting strollers. If he became exhausted, then we carried him or took a break and sat down for a bit. With the rise in childhood obesity threating to have kids as young as 7 develop Type 2 diabetes, why aren't we making them exercise more?

I certainly noticed less stroller traffic yesterday, and it was a pleasure.

Sunshine1010
04-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Wow - what a price increase. We can speculate on the reason(s) forever --- that is, until Disney gives us a reason.

But....why do I feel as though I need to defend myself for letting my six year old son get a double stroller?

I feel judged...

merlinmagic4
04-07-2008, 06:06 AM
I agree with a poster above; we were at AK and MGM yesterday, and there were a plethora of kids over the age of 6 and 7 being wheeled around by parents that don't want to hear them gripe about having to walk. :confused: When our son turned 4, we stopped renting strollers. If he became exhausted, then we carried him or took a break and sat down for a bit. With the rise in childhood obesity threating to have kids as young as 7 develop Type 2 diabetes, why aren't we making them exercise more?

I certainly noticed less stroller traffic yesterday, and it was a pleasure.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge older kids in strollers. You have no idea why they are there. You are blessed to have a child healthy enough to walk throughout the parks all day and night. Not all of us have been so blessed and not all of the kids are in them because they don't WANT to walk.

Perhaps a new thread should be started on what age is okay for children to be in strollers. Disney has not stated (to my knowledge) that the price increase is because older (and who defines older?) children are in the strollers.

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Perhaps a new thread should be started on what age is okay for children to be in strollers.As a moderator in this forum I don't think that would be a good idea. We've had similar discussions in the past and they go downhill very quickly. In any case, it's not necessary--every parent has to decide for themself what age is the "cut-off" for their child based on their situation. The current price increase may just help some parents make that decision earlier.

merlinmagic4
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
As a moderator in this forum I don't think that would be a good idea. We've had similar discussions in the past and they go downhill very quickly. In any case, it's not necessary--every parent has to decide for themself what age is the "cut-off" for their child based on their situation. The current price increase may just help some parents make that decision earlier.

Actually, that was my point. This was going off topic regarding the ages of children in strollers. The OP was writing about the price increase not who should be in strollers.

wedway76
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
That IS crazy!! I’ve always thought strollers should be free to folks who stay on site so there’ll be less of them on busses. Forget it now, everyone is going to bring their own strollers on the busses. My poor bruised ankles.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I saw the prices for myself yesterday at the Party and I showed my friends that joined me (who refused to believe it cost that much) and we all about died... Just nuts.

I love my $60 Kolcraft... Works great, has plenty of basket room, folds SUPER easy, reclines, and is super sturdy. I am too tall for an umbrella stroller, or I'd probably use that.

FamilyofDisneyFreaks
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
My DS turns 5 during our 5 day trip this year in May and I was up in the air trying to decide whether or not to rent or not. We just started doing what ShanPooh does with her family - power walking around the neighborhood to get prepared. I was going to gauge by the first day what to do. I don't think so many should judge the older kids in the strollers. In some of the parks, the show times are so close together that unless you are a super planner, sometimes you are really booking it to get from one to the other. A 4,5,6 or 7 year old does not have the same stride as an adult and I will be worn out by the end of the day if I carry my DS to be able to get to the next show at AK that has a lot of winding around. Like Scootch713 said, it can be a great way to keep your kids refreshed, out of the sun and in a 'magical mood'.

However, I will not go buy a stroller for the parks. Especially after seeing all the people saying on this thread that that's what they'll go out and do. I'd much rather have a whole bunch of strollers parked outside an attraction than have to wait until the next bus back to my hotel because all the strollers are taking up all the room!

CleveRocks
04-07-2008, 04:25 PM
With the rise in childhood obesity threating to have kids as young as 7 develop Type 2 diabetes, why aren't we making them exercise more?

Please realize that parents of "older kids" who rent strollers probably don't use strollers for those kids in real life.

In other words, you can't blame childhood obesity and Type II diabetes on riding in a stroller for a few days while at Disney World.

Now, some might respond, "No, silly, I know a trip to Disney World won't cause diabetes. But it's indicative of an overall mindset of the parents."

And I would respond to that ... you are assuming WAAAAAY to much. Take my family for example. The last time we were there, my wife and I were in the midst of training for a half-marathon, our first. We value exercise, and our kids know how much we value exercise. Our kids aren't particularly sedentary. In addition to the normal childhood playing, we often took them out onto the Boardwalk to train with us on days when we were doing shorter and slower workouts. In fact, before our second half-marathon, my daughter, then 5, was able to run faster than me for the first 1.25 miles. But after that, she was done for the afternoon. She's not able to run the 13.1 miles I am.

But to cover the MILES we'd want to cover while at WDW, they would peter out quicker than we'd all like. We're not commandos, but at the same time we can't go to WDW very often and like to fit in what we reasonably can. If we have a choice of doing 6 attractions without a stroller or 11 attractions with a stroller, which would you choose? Each of those attractions represents a potential life-long cherished memory for our kids and for us.

We can fit more enjoyment into our trip if we can cover more ground (by using FASTPASS wisely, etc.). And since we wouldn't be able to cover as much ground at any speed if our then 6.5 year old and 4 year old had to hike it all, we've rented strollers.

How dare anyone accuse me of being a bad parent for supposedly fostering life-threatening medical conditions in my kids on the flimsy "evidence" that twice in three years I rented a stroller for a week. You may not intend it this way, but it's a very mean-spirited thing to say.

Jeff G
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
This thread is way off topic. I somehow doubt the reason to raise the price had anything to do with older kids in strollers or WDW trying to force kids to walk in an attempt to prevent obesity. Everything WDW is profit driven. The prices of the stroller rental is crazy but so isn't $11/day for parking or $3 for a bottled soda.

I'm sure Disney examined the current usage & charge vs. the drop in usages & new charge. My guess is the projections favor that this will be more profitable. Raising the prices isn't going to discourage the family with a seven year old while encouraging a family with a toddler.

And to be fair to all posting, lets keep our parenting opinions to ourselves. There isn't a perfect parent out there nor is there a rule that says the perfect age for kids to quit riding in strollers.

Taja
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM

While I certainly sympathize with the adults who really need strollers for the children, I don't recall ever seeing a stroller when I was growing up at Disneyland in the 50s and 60s. Perhaps the odd pram (baby carriage), but those were few and far between. And, yes, Disneyland is much smaller than WDW parks. Just saying that using strollers weren't a "right" or a "given" at Disneyland in the early years.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
While I certainly sympathize with the adults who really need strollers for the children, I don't recall ever seeing a stroller when I was growing up at Disneyland in the 50s and 60s. Perhaps the odd pram (baby carriage), but those were few and far between. And, yes, Disneyland is much smaller than WDW parks. Just saying that using strollers weren't a "right" or a "given" at Disneyland in the early years.
OK, I just reread my post three times trying to see what prompted this. Never said it was!:confused: Just stating my opinion like everybody else on these boards....I stand by what I said.:curtsy:

Boost
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
As a Florida native and someone who visits WDW often with my family, I wanted to make a few statements about this topic:

(1) People who comment about strollers taking up too much space in the park need to be reminded that although we adults enjoy the parks as much as we did when we were kids, the parks have traditionally been aimed at entertaining children (and rightfully so).

(2) I think that a price hike for a double stroller from 18 dollars to 31 dollars is insane and we will no longer rent strollers, but WE WILL BRING OUR OWN DOUBLE STROLLER.

(3) Because we will bring our own double stroller, we will be the family on Disney Transport buses getting looks of disapproval from folks who don't have kids and who think that three year-olds can walk ten miles a day with no problem. So, families like ours will now just take up more room on buses with our cumbersome strollers when instead, we could have simply rented them at a fair price from the parks.

(4) I have been run into by people in wheelchairs and ECVs; however, I would NEVER say anything disparaging about people who need such conveyances. It really isn't anyone's business what parents do with their children as long as it's not impeding on others' freedom in the parks.

Really, folks....there are other things in the world to be concerned with....

DisneyAndRedSox
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Anyone a "Jon & Kate plus 8" fan? I have it on right now and it just showed them in Disney with the twins and sextuplets... and they had 3 double strollers. Yikes... $93 a day!

I am so sick of being ripped off and not just at Disney. Delta just announced as of May 1st a $25 charge for checking a 2nd bag. Now the overhead bins will be chaos on my Nov and Jan flights. So, I wonder how much Disney is raising ticket prices this year? And parking? How about a fuel surcharge for Magical Express?

just2mickey
04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Anyone a "Jon & Kate plus 8" fan? I have it on right now and it just showed them in Disney with the twins and sextuplets... and they had 3 double strollers. Yikes... $93 a day!

I am so sick of being ripped off and not just at Disney. Delta just announced as of May 1st a $25 charge for checking a 2nd bag. Now the overhead bins will be chaos on my Nov and Jan flights. So, I wonder how much Disney is raising ticket prices this year? And parking? How about a fuel surcharge for Magical Express?

I love them also! I saw the episode when they were there. If anyone deserved a stroller discount.....they do! OMG! The funny thing is now that I read this post and remember that episode, I feel horrible complaining about renting one (sort of). Not enought to rent one though. The funny thing is.....if you read my first post about all of the airport stuff and the looks and yelling at DH about not helping enough......you will see that I am a lot like Kate and my husband is a lot like Jon.....only minus the sextuplets and the twins.

Taja..... how long has it been since you have been to a park? I have seen strollers since the invention of the wheel.

Boost
04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Michelle -

I'm in total agreement about being tired of being ripped off. While I don't feel that in general about WDW, I don't think that some of these price hikes are completely thought out.

Your example about Delta is right on....the 2nd bag surcharge means large carry-ons that people will wedge into overhead bins and thus delay not only everyone on the plane but also has the potential to create a domino effect and make other planes late.

If more people bring strollers vs. renting them, this means fewer people on buses, which drives the cost of more buses + more diesel at $5/gallon + more CMs to drive buses. Then, someone at WDW will say, "Let's not allow strollers at all"....at which point our family will cease to make trips to WDW. So, we lose....Disney loses from less families coming to the parks, when all that had to be done was a modest price hike instead of a stratospheric one.

My backyard and the beach are looking better and better this summer.....

Buttercup
04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
As much as I hate paying for stroller rentals I guess it's a necessary evil. I'm still going to be renting a single on our trip in May, because I'd rather pay the price than deal with a cranky 3 year old who is being forced to walk around the park all day. Our infant daughter is going to be using our Graco stroller and the umbrella stroller we have for our son is a little small for him.
Normally when we go to the mall or whatever, our son just walks, but asking him to walk that distance each and every day at WDW is just begging for a irritable child.
Parents NEED strollers for their kids at Disney, despite what was done in the 50's and 60's. Back then, people also wore their "Sunday Best" to Disney World and sacrificed comfort.

Ian
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
(1) People who comment about strollers taking up too much space in the park need to be reminded that although we adults enjoy the parks as much as we did when we were kids, the parks have traditionally been aimed at entertaining children (and rightfully so).Well, actually ... Walt himself said on numerous occasions that he designed his parks to be a place where both adults and children can play together. They're not really "aimed at entertaining children" at all. They're aimed at all audiences, including those without children.

If more people bring strollers vs. renting them, this means fewer people on buses, which drives the cost of more buses + more diesel at $5/gallon + more CMs to drive buses. Then, someone at WDW will say, "Let's not allow strollers at all"....at which point our family will cease to make trips to WDW. So, we lose....Disney loses from less families coming to the parks, when all that had to be done was a modest price hike instead of a stratospheric one.I find this logic to be near incomprehensible? :confused:

Because Disney raises the price of stroller rentals, people are going to eventually stop going to the parks?

Unless I've drastically misunderstood the laws of supply and demand, Disney is only raising the prices because the market will bear the increase. That means that there is a surging demand for stroller rentals (basic economics ... demand goes up, limited supply, price goes up).

So to me this would indicate just the opposite of what you're saying ... attendance is up at the parks.

Maybe I missed your point or something, but I don't follow you at all.

just2mickey
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Ian~ I could way off here but I think the point they were trying to make was that if more people brought their own strollers, then the buses would hold fewer people because the strollers would take up the space of a person (or two depending on how large the stroller is) so not as many people would be on the bus at one time. Therefore more buses would need to be put into action in order to move everyone.

Ian
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Ian~ I could way off here but I think the point they were trying to make was that if more people brought their own strollers, then the buses would hold fewer people because the strollers would take up the space of a person (or two depending on how large the stroller is) so not as many people would be on the bus at one time. Therefore more buses would need to be put into action in order to move everyone.If that's, in fact, the point that was being made I'll just say that I think it's a stretch at best.

More than likely people will just end up waiting longer for a bus. I highly doubt Disney would add busses to their fleet simply to account for more people carrying on strollers.

just2mickey
04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
If that's, in fact, the point that was being made I'll just say that I think it's a stretch at best.

More than likely people will just end up waiting longer for a bus. I highly doubt Disney would add busses to their fleet simply to account for more people carrying on strollers.

Not sure if that is their point or not, I just took it that way. I had to re-read the post twice before I put it together. I could be way off. Maybe they will clear it up.

javamama
04-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Before we start on Delta(since I a little biased:blush: ) They're the last ones to join in on the 2nd bag 25 buck deal, everyone started last week the news said United, USair, etc..
The airlines are getting slammed w/oil prices like we are. Enough on the airlines, back to the strollers:D

I guess <edited>, and we the consumer get stuck paying for it, but honestly I think this is outta hand. Unless the stroller they're going to be using changes my kids diaper, feeds her, and rockers her to sleep. I'm not buying what Disney's selling this time around. I leave 4/13, and you can bet I'm bringing my own double stroller--that was my plan anyways.
As for Jon and Kate, I'm thinking they didn't pay for that whole entire trip. Just food for thought on that one. And I do like the show alot.

Jamnx
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
If I want to push my 7 year old around in a stroller while in the parks - I will do so!! I paid for that stroller. I don’t have to have a reason other than I want to keep him and his 4 year old sister grouped together where I can comfortably walk through the park and not have to worry about them getting tired or loosing them in the crowd. That’s the problem with the world today to many people worried about what other people are doing and judging them. Worry about your own family and don’t judge others. When we go back next year I will push my 9 year old in a stroller with his 6-year-old sister at 40 dollars a day and not think twice about it. You can sit and stew over it and get all judgmental about it and we will not have even noticed.........who is the winner in that scenario!!!!

johnfunkwriter
04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Unless the stroller they're going to be using changes my kids diaper, feeds her, and rockers her to sleep. I'm not buying what Disney's selling this time around.

:D

THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!

just2mickey
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
If I want to push my 7 year old around in a stroller while in the parks - I will do so!! I paid for that stroller. When we go back next year I will push my 9 year old in a stroller with his 6-year-old sister at 40 dollars a day and not think twice about it. You can sit and stew over it and get all judgmental about it and we will not have even noticed.........who is the winner in that scenario!!!!

:high5: And there you have it. I had to be reminded by my sister that I have a "TICKET" from Magic Kingdom from a SECURITY GUARD that was issued to my DH at 2:00a.m. (I keep it in my scrapbook). My DH had huge blisters but not wanting to upset the DD (age 4), we did the e-night thing. His heel was killing him and he jokingly told my little girl to push him......she did. The ticket issued simply stated:

You have been issued a citation from WDW for impersonating your daughter. The guard laughed and we have an awesome keepsake.:funny:

Lizzie
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow! That price hike is crazy. As a parent of twins you can' t do anything without the stroler. We were thinking of renting next time. Just because we got looks from the bus driver and passengers on the busses with our double jogger. But apparently now we need to always bring our own. I hope they realize what this price hike is going to do to the busses. The amount of strollers is going to increase.

Our jogger was to large to bring through the front door so we always had to have them open the back door. I am not going to bring some cheap stroller that my kids aren't comfortable in. So if I can't use theirs I will continue to bring our large one.

crazypoohbear
04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow!
Our jogger was to large to bring through the front door so we always had to have them open the back door. I am not going to bring some cheap stroller that my kids aren't comfortable in. So if I can't use theirs I will continue to bring our large one.

That had to have been a huge stroller to not fit through the front doors of the bus when it is closed up!

It would be nice if they had storage under the bus for all the strollers that way they would not be taking up seats and banging into people.

Boost
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Just2Mickey-Thank you for being a sounding board. You got my point entirely.

Ian, with all due respect, you missed what I was saying completely. My thoughts had nothing to do with supply and demand, etc.

Have a great night everyone!!!

magicofdisney
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
There is a particular bus that makes coming in through the front doors very difficult, so I know what you're talking about. We frequently ask the driver if we can enter through the rear doors. It makes it so much easier.

We've chosen to bring our own stroller since my twin girls were smaller. I understand the challenges wielding those behemoths on the bus requires.

Pixie Power
04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Now if they'd offer up the free stroller to Disney Visa Card Holders, that would be great. They do that @ Disneyland and it's a nice perk. ;)

But alas, I'm sure they won't, so I'll be bringing mine from home instead of renting from WDW. & That means my older child will not have the benefit of riding with her sister when she's tired, esp. if it's from the heat. Oh well.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Instead of bringing his SUV-sized stroller from home, and instead of paying rental fees for 10 days, we stopped by WalMart and picked up a folding "umbrella" type stroller for less than $10.
Just wanted to say I'm still laughing every time I think of your phrasing here. You cracked me up--so true...

"SUV-sized stroller"....:rotfl:

JCDarzi
04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I think that WDW is definitely trying to cut down on the rental of double strollers.

We visited WDW during Springbreak the week before Easter this year and was fairly crowded. I usually use two single strollers for my two toddlers but on the day we had to ride the bus instead of monorail to the parks, I chose to rent a double stroller at the park. I was amazed at how hard it was to navigate the wide stroller in the crowds. They were definitely holding up the traffic flow, myself included. They are too wide and cumbersome and it is too easy to run into someone. I wouldn't rent one again, at least not during a crowded time.

4myprincesses
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Another twin mom here chimming in who also (gasp) puts her 6 and 7 year old in a MK stroller.

First off, I am laughing so hard at this thread. Some people need to loosen up a bit, we are talking about strollers....strollers at Disney. Low priority in a world of hot topics :)

As a mom of twins (now 20 mos) and 2 older girls I have to say it's nice having the option to rent. I TOTALLY get the airport scenario. Last time I flew with my mom and she has artificial knees. So here I am having the 6 and 7 year old princesses helping with the twin princesses (one of which mom carried through the detector and consequently had to go with her to the full screening as she always sets the detectors off and mom couldn't set her down until they were done scanning her (did I also mention she has a bad arm and 18 month olds LOVE to squirm) all while I'm trying to do everyone's shoes (inclcuding the twins), jackets, backpacks, the stroller that never folds when you need it too....yeah we get LOTS of looks. THEN, you have to do it all in reverse on the other side where there are no chairs and people are trying like crazy to get away from the crazy lady with all the little girls that they hope are not on their flight :D

With all that said, my kids are SO good on flights, they are SO good at Disney, I rarely have to get stern with them in either place. I make sure they eat good, I get a stroller when they need it (take one for the twins as I know they need it and after a couple long days I would rent one for the older two, yes at age 6 and 7!) It's worth ugly stares to me, I know what my kids need and care little for judegemental people looking down on us. We are on vacation and not looking to have meltdowns. However, if you read the above airport scenario, you KNOW I won't be adding another stroller to the mix!

That said, I just can not justify spending that much to rent a stroller for my older two. Perhaps I'll buy an inexpensive Umbrella stroller somewhere to take on long days and let one of the twins sit in it and let the older two take turns in our McClaren. $31 is a meal for the six of us at a counter service restaurant. $31 is two pearls at Epcot.

I hope the end goal is newer strollers that are a bit more comfortable for kids, but Disney is a business, they are there for profit and that is OK. When I want food I go to a restaurant and pay triple what I would were I to make it myself, when I want clothes I go to a store and pay double what I would pay to make it myself. When I want to go to the Happiest Place on Earth I expect to pay for the service and entertainment.

Katzateer
04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
when we go for a week I get a new $15-$20 one at Walmart-use it for the week and then give it to someone before we come home.

Our girls are older but I use the stroller to put rain gear, water bottles, jackets as the day gets warmer, anything that isn't too valuable but we need for the park. Then I just park it in a good spot and we go back to it if we need it. I don't want to carry all that stuff around all day.

When we go to the parks we are gone from early morning until late at night so we get our money worth.

I can remember when the girls were younger and my mother-in-law was tired from a day in Epcot. We had a double stroller and she took a nap in it while we were waiting for Illuminations. She loves that picture!

LarryBoy
04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas, but has anybody confirmed this extreme rate increase. Has anybody been since the increase, or have any of our WDW cast members confirmed this. I just know you can't trust everything you read on the internet. :thedolls:

LarryBoy
04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Never mind...:mad: :( I confirmed this information on the Orlando Sentinel. This does seem a bit drastic. We have always rented a stroller for DS 7 because he's autistic, and it was just a safe and relaxing way to get him around the park. Will have to really decide if it's worth it next trip. He has just turned seven and can walk just fine, but he'll tire out quicker, and he's just a slow walker. What are you gonna do next time?

Bohms4
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Larryboy - we're going next week and originally my sister was going to rent a double for her twin boys (7) and I was going to rent a double for my two kids (6 & 4) but now since this price increase we're just going to rent one double for the 4 kids and let them take turns. My sister and I will split the cost. I can understand increasing the price a couple bucks, but this price increase leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Between this and the dining plan change (I would rather have an appetizer than dessert - they should let you choose)...I'm a little put off! :mad:

Brainiak5
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Someone earlier in the thread made a good suggestion. Disney ought to consider putting on an external carrying device where folks could put their strollers. Buses in New haven have these for bikers to put their bikes in so Im sure something could be designed to carry fold up strollers.

Imagineers can do anything right?:mickey:

Sunshine1010
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Did the newspaper article you read state WHY they did the substantial price increase?

LarryBoy
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Did the newspaper article you read state WHY they did the substantial price increase?

No, upon further investigation I discovers that this was just a post on the Sentinel's blog. I would still like official confirmation. Can any WDW cast members confirm this price increase, or has anyone been since Sunday? I'm still hopeful that an increase that drastic is incorrect. :fingers:

merlinmagic4
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
No, upon further investigation I discovers that this was just a post on the Sentinel's blog. I would still like official confirmation. Can any WDW cast members confirm this price increase, or has anyone been since Sunday? I'm still hopeful that an increase that drastic is incorrect. :fingers:

I'm pretty sure it's on the official website.

LarryBoy
04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
:( yup...after some searching I found the new prices on the web site. :(

MNNHFLTX
04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Yes, there must have been a press release to announce the price increase. What I hadn't heard, up until looking into it, was that there is going to be an increase in the cost of renting ECV's too. :(

Here is the blurb from the article from the Orlando Sentinel website:

"Stroller rental more costly

Walt Disney World has raised the price of stroller and scooter rentals.

Effective Sunday, the price of single-child strollers rose to $15 a day, from $10, and the price for two-child strollers went to $31 a day, from $18.

The price for motorized scooters, also known as electronic convenience vehicles, was raised to $45 a day, up from $35.

Disney World spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said it was the resort's first price increase in three years for those rentals. Visitors may still bring their own strollers or motorized scooters, though Segway scooters are not allowed."

Brainiak5
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I think some of this can be tied to the lagging value of the US dollar. Disney sees a lot of folks from other nations visiting them so while a substantial increase to us, its a lower percentage increase to the foreign visitors. I just think that its odd that a double stroller rental costs more than renting a car? I wouldn't be surprised to see a stroller discount plan getting rolled out similar to the one offered at Disneyland and the Disney credit card. It absolutely would be a value added service and increase the use of the card... whoever would have thought that the marketing 101 class I took in college would have been applied to a Disney vacation :mickey:

Sunshine1010
04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
This may be a stupid question....but why would they give strollers free to Visa holders in Disneyland, but not Disney World?

TheRustyScupper
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
This may be a stupid question....but why would they give strollers free to Visa holders in Disneyland, but not Disney World?

I think . . .
. . . Disneyland was built on orange groves
. . . oranges have a high amount of sugar
. . . kids like orange juice
. . . kids get a lot of sugar by drinking OJ
. . . with a lot of sugar, kids run around
. . . when running, kids don't stop to look at merchandise
. . . if in a stroller, kids can be contained
. . . parents with a stroller walk slower than unrestrained kids run
. . . if contained, kids see more merchandise at eye level when pushed slowly
. . . Disney scientifically puts kids merchandise at kid's eye level

so . . .
. . . kids aren't running around so much
. . . kids see more merchandise
. . . adults have to use their Visa to buy that much merchandise
. . . thus, Disney Visa benefits from increased charge sales

Of course, this is only a thought.

Brainiak5
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Thats a good question - you would think they would offer the same benefits to all Disney Visa card holders at all of the parks. It must have something to do with either testing the discount to see if they get the lift they want before rolling it out everywhere or perhaps their info shows that they want to target Disney Visa card holders in CA only for some reason.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I think . . .
. . . Disneyland was built on orange groves
. . . oranges have a high amount of sugar
. . . kids like orange juice
. . . kids get a lot of sugar by drinking OJ
. . . with a lot of sugar, kids run around
. . . when running, kids don't stop to look at merchandise
. . . if in a stroller, kids can be contained
. . . parents with a stroller walk slower than unrestrained kids run
. . . if contained, kids see more merchandise at eye level when pushed slowly
. . . Disney scientifically puts kids merchandise at kid's eye level

so . . .
. . . kids aren't running around so much
. . . kids see more merchandise
. . . adults have to use their Visa to buy that much merchandise
. . . thus, Disney Visa benefits from increased charge sales

Of course, this is only a thought.
You never cease to amaze me...:rotfl: :high5:

lindique
04-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm going to make an educated guess here. I think it has to do with who visits each park. At Disneyland (CA), most of the guests are locals, not tourists. They come in their cars for the day, and then pack up and leave. Therefore, those guests with kids have strollers with them already and there is not a huge demand for rentals.

At Disney World, many more guests are tourists who arrive by plane (and then Disney's Magical Express). Taking a stroller on a plane, along with all the other necessary gear, is a lot harder than just putting it in the trunk of the car. So many people don't bring one with them. This creates a much larger demand for strollers at Disney World than at Disneyland. They probably figure it would cost them too much in the Orlando park to give them out for free.

magicofdisney
04-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I was in the parks on Wednesday and Thursday. I wanted to comment on the rented stroller usage. The stroller parking areas were less congested. There also seemed to be less double strollers around. I know many of us have speculated on Disney's reasoning for the price increase, but this week the smoother traffic flow was a bonus.

turkeyleg
04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Hmmmmm... makes one wonder if the price is too much now?

Pixie Power
04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Thats a good question - you would think they would offer the same benefits to all Disney Visa card holders at all of the parks. It must have something to do with either testing the discount to see if they get the lift they want before rolling it out everywhere or perhaps their info shows that they want to target Disney Visa card holders in CA only for some reason.

I highly doubt it's a test-run @ DL b/c they've offered the free strollers for Disney Visa Holders for several years. That'd be an awful long 'test period'.

Mickey91
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Someone earlier in the thread made a good suggestion. Disney ought to consider putting on an external carrying device where folks could put their strollers. Buses in New haven have these for bikers to put their bikes in so Im sure something could be designed to carry fold up strollers.

Imagineers can do anything right?:mickey:
The biggest flaw I see with that is it would make it too easy for you not to pay them mucho dinero just to rent one. It is all about the $$$$$. Not about making guests happy.

DizneyRox
04-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Hmmmmm... makes one wonder if the price is too much now?
If you look at the bottom line, I doubt it...

Assume there is a 25% reduction in the amount of strollers. Using easy numbers, 100 strollers at $10 each is $1000. 75 strollers at $15 each is $1125.

So, in this case, less is more!

LoriR
04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
People who are bothered by all the strollers in the parks are apt to be MORE bothered by lots of running, out-of-control kids who would be better off in a stroller!

Brainiak5
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I highly doubt it's a test-run @ DL b/c they've offered the free strollers for Disney Visa Holders for several years. That'd be an awful long 'test period'.

Wow- if its been that long then its probably my second point being true. Someone earlier mentioned that the DL visitor tends to be in state and more likely to bring one from home while the WDW visitor tends to fly in. To increase the stroller use, they probably offer the discount - I don't think they're free. Supply and demand seems to be dictating the situation in both cases.:mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas, but has anybody confirmed this extreme rate increase. Has anybody been since the increase, or have any of our WDW cast members confirmed this. I just know you can't trust everything you read on the internet. :thedolls:

We went to the P&PP on the 6th... and I looked to see for myself and sure enough... $31 for a double... It is on the sign overhead when you walk under the train station thing as you go into the rent.

Pixie Power
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow- if its been that long then its probably my second point being true. Someone earlier mentioned that the DL visitor tends to be in state and more likely to bring one from home while the WDW visitor tends to fly in. To increase the stroller use, they probably offer the discount - I don't think they're free. Supply and demand seems to be dictating the situation in both cases.:mickey:

It's been at least 2 years b/c when we went to DL in Jan. 2006, we got a FREE stroller every day by showing our Disney Visa Card, so I am sure it is the 2nd point indeed. ;) It would be nice if WDW offered some sort of Disney Visa Card Member discount for stroller rentals, esp. now that the cost has been jacked up to ridiculous heights.

I look forward to getting a free stroller @ DL this summer as well. :thumbsup:

Ian
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, there must have been a press release to announce the price increase. What I hadn't heard, up until looking into it, was that there is going to be an increase in the cost of renting ECV's too. :(I'm not at all surprised by this. Raise one, you're going to raise the other. Especially if the goal is to reduce the number in the parks and weed out those renting them that shouldn't be renting them.

This may be a stupid question....but why would they give strollers free to Visa holders in Disneyland, but not Disney World?My guess is because of the profile of the visitors. The guest population in DL is very different from that of WDW.

But this does highlight one of my major issues with the way Disney runs its domestic theme parks ... the fact that they're run completely independently of one another, with no attempt at any kind of consistency, is a little irrititating.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Along the lines with the DL strollers being free for Disney Visa holders...

Passholders get them free as well, or at least they did when we went there with my aunt and her great niece. AP holders at WDW don't even get a discount on strollers, let alone free strollers.

KAT1811
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
If it becomes too much of a burden, you can always bring your own stroller. That's what we do.

I mean in reality, renting strollers at WDW is nothing more than paying for convenience. It's not like it's some kind of necessary social service. Disney should charge whatever the market will bear for it and convenience services always cost more.

Ian, I agree completely. We just bring our own, not because of the pricing but because personally public rental strollers, in general, (no matter how much they clean them) skeeve me.

I agree with the theory that Disney will raise the prices to whatever the market will allow. Putting my business degree to work, why not? After all if it increases profits they are doing their jobs and raising shareholder's profits.

IMHO people who go to WDW are going to do two things. One, bring their own stroller if they feel their budget does not support the prices of a stroller rental (or for a general want to boycot stroller rental at WDW). Or two, keep on renting because it is easier for them. Whatever the reasoning it is what it is.

mook3y
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
People who are bothered by all the strollers in the parks are apt to be MORE bothered by lots of running, out-of-control kids who would be better off in a stroller!

Or.. on leashes instead?

Sunshine1010
05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I went to YouTube to look up Disney vacations in April 2008. Hardly anyone (in the background) had Disney strollers.

MickeysEars
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
My guesses:
*They need a new "fleet" of strollers - and this is a quick way to get it;
*They can charge what the market bears & get away with it; and
*Goofy-4-Disney is right - stroller rental for the "older" kids has gotten out of control.

IMOP, we've seen kids upwards of 8-10 years old lounging in the strollers, and it may be Disney's way of getting things back under control. Especially at peak times, including the summertime, this may be their way of "stroller control".

However, I will say this: If you need the stroller, either bring it from home or rent one.

I don't understand why it is unreasonable for an older child (7-8) to be sitting in a stroller with all the walking around. We planned on renting one for our 7 year old just to give her feet a break. This is insane. $31 a day. I can rent a car for $31 a day