PDA

View Full Version : phi kappa phi?

Tink2002
04-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you are Phi Kappa Phi honor society members... I just received an e-mail today from UMaine saying that I've been invited to join our chapter as a junior.... and apart from reading the general information on the website, I don't really know anything much about it. Can anybody tell me anything? :)

disneydeb
04-04-2008, 06:46 AM
It's a good thing and looks good on a resume.

Congratulations!:thumbsup:

LauraF
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I was inducted in college myself and it does look great on the resume. It's primarily an honor society for academic achievement and you have to be nominated by someone to be inducted.

It's a good thing - be proud of yourself! I got a nice little medal and pin, plus it was noted next to my name at my graduation ceremony.

tracibell
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm a UMaine Phi Kappa Phi too. You will have the privilege of wearing either a cord or sash at graduation. I know wearing mine made me feel so proud of my academic achievements! As posted above, it also looks great on a resume! When I was there I remember they tried to have a couple of fundraisers. Overall, there wasn't a lot of activity with the group. Most of the people showed up to be inducted and were proud of their achievements; however, did not want to participate in the "club" aspect of it. With so many other things going on in a student's life, I can certainly understand. Anyway, congratulations! Feel proud of your achievements! :D

Strmchsr
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
:congrats: That's a great achievement. As others have said it looks good on your resume, so definitely something you want to participate in. 12 years after my college graduation I can't say that it does me much good now other than making for a nice certificate on my wall, but it's still something to be proud of and celebrated!

Oh, and :welcome: tracibell!!

Disney Doll
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Well let me throw in my two cents. As tracibell mentioned the vast majority of members are not active members. I understand that students lead busy lives, but in my opinion it is not worth the $40.00 yearly dues unless you really plan to participate. I see too many students who pay $40.00 just for a line on a resume. If you graduate with distinction or special distinction that will be noted on your diploma and on your transcript. The distinction honors are completely free and like any real award doesn't require you to pay anything. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't join Phi Kappa Phi. There are lots of member benefits like scholarship opportunities and career assistance programs to help you market yourself after graduation. You can fins out a lot more online. Just google Phi Kappa Phi and you should be able to find the national site.

Jasper
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
As someone who has been in Human Resources for roughly the last 15 years, I can say that something like this has a limited shelf life. Any HR person worth their pay looks at what you have done in your chosen field more than academic honors. So basically, an honor like this is really only good for that first "real job" out of school. Once you have a few good years in at a job in your area of expertise things like this don't get looked at again.

PirateLover
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
So basically, an honor like this is really only good for that first "real job" out of school. Once you have a few good years in at a job in your area of expertise things like this don't get looked at again.

This is true, but being in HR you probably also realize that getting that first "real job" can be incredibly difficult. Everybody wants experience, which you obviously won't have coming right out of school. I graduated last may and have not found a full time job in my field, and I need more than my two hands to count my friends who are in the same boat. Any edge you can give yourself helps. I would say do it.

Tink2002
04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
thanks, guys :) Being at a larger school you don't always get recognized for the work that you do, so it's definitely something I'll be doing... thanks for the advice:thumbsup: