PDA

View Full Version : question for a local

quest4dl
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
When is rush hour around Anaheim? I am flying into SNA at 5 p.m. on a Friday and flying out on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. How will the traffic affect my travel times?

NotaGeek
04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
You are flying in RIGHT at peak rush hour ... it starts from around 3:30pm-7pm-ish and on the way out traffic starts letting up about 10am, so it's no good there, morning rush hour is from 6am-10am-ish.

Just an FYI, there's another option to ask a question of a specific INTERCOT member.. You can use the Private Message feature ... just go the the user's profile and you can "Send Private Message" box ...

:mickey:

quest4dl
04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I guess I will hit rush hour both ways since my flight leaves at 10:30 and I will need to be there much earlier. Since SNA is a smaller airport, how early do we need to be there for our flight? How much time will it take to get to Disney in rush hour?

BrerGnat
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey there!

When you fly in, you will be in for a long trip to Anaheim. Friday afternoon on the 55 North/5 North is a parking lot. Count on 45min-1hr, and if you make it in an hour, count yourself lucky! Just to give you some perspective, when there is no traffic, I can make the trip (my front door to entering the parking garage) in under 15 min. On a Friday after 3pm, it's at LEAST 40 min, if I'm lucky.

When you leave, ALSO count on some heavy traffic. 5 South to the 55 South (where you need to go to get to the airport) is pretty backed up on weekdays until about 9:30am, daily. I drive up 55 North to 5 North from here twice a week at that time and I see it backed up in the opposite direction. Allow a good 45 min to get TO the airport, not counting being there early for security screening, etc. If you want to arrive at the airport at 9am, leave Anaheim no later than 8:15am. It stinks, but that's the way of it down here.

Of course, there ARE ways to navigate around the traffic. If you will have a rental car, and you want an alternate route for each trip in case traffic is really bad, PM me and I'll send you directions of a different way to go that can help shave time off the trip.

quest4dl
04-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I won't be renting a car but I am debating about taking a taxi instead of a shuttle service. However, unless the taxis offer flat rates, it could be risky during rush hour. I would hope a good taxi driver would know alternatives when they exist.

BrerGnat
04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Many taxi drivers around here will ask YOU which way you want them to go. They at least offer the courtesy of letting you choose the fastest route. If you're not from the area, they will take the obvious route. However, most taxi companies here charge by distance, not time spent in the cab.

I would look into Prime Time Shuttle. Their service is excellent and prices are good.

By the way, the taxis DO have a flat rate to Disneyland. Yellow Cab Co. does, at least. So, if you go that route, make sure you take a Yellow Cab and ask the driver before you get in the cab what the fare is, and whether or not it's flat rate. Last I checked, it was around $36 (one way).

The shuttle will always be cheaper. Plus, they are smart enough to use the carpool lanes. I rarely see taxis in the carpool lane, even though they could use them if they wanted...