PDA

View Full Version : Travel with Little Ones

disney100%
04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Finally, we have rescheduled our trip to WDW. We orginally cancelled our trip because in our excitement to go to Disney, we overlooked how diffifult it would be to travel with a 2 month old (I found out I was pregnant at the time of planning), 18 month old and a 3 year old. I was quite disappointed to cancel, but obviously, having a daughter was much more exciting (now I have two princesses to bring to the parks). We have rescheduled for October and I just can't wait! My daughters will be ten months and 2years 3months. My son will be a few months shy of 4. My nephew will be 18 months. I am usually a teacher, so I NEVER get to go in October, we are just limited to school vacations. Now that I am taking an extended maternity leave, I am so excited to be able to visit the parks during regular season and even be able to enjoy the food and wine festival!

Any special tips for fun things we can do with the kids to celebrate their first trips? I know that we can get a pin or something at town hall, but has anyone done anything else to help prepare their kids for the trip or anything you have done while at the parks that has made the day extra special? I already have my son hooked on the vacation planning video - I think I almost cried when he asked to "watch the castle, mommy?" :mickey:

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I can relate to your excitement. :cloud9: We are going in September with my dh, dd her husband and three girls ages just turned in August 2,3 and 4. So the are close in age like yours.
When it gets closer to the date i am going to make mickey heads (paint swatches from home depot) and put them on a string and take them off each day until we go.
I have already gotten the princess dresses and am putting away small things related to disney. ie kinder surprise that is mickey, princess and pooh. I bought small back packs at the dollar store and will decorate each of them with the kids and put their "special disney toys inside, ready for the airplane".
There are alot of good tips on intercot:number1: just keep checking in. I keep cutting and pasting ideas that I will sort out at a later date;)
Have fun...i know you will:party:

coloradowendyl
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Seeing you are a teacher, you can put all of your creative ideas to work to make the planning extra special for your son. What about making a Mickey Head countdown chart for him....they have Mickey head paper punches...he can glue one on a calendar each day...or make him a special autograph book with clipart of the characters? If you plan on doing Epcot, what about checking some books about the countries out of the library and start reading about them with him. DK press has some great books!

You could also do the customized park maps off the Disney website and let him "practice" finding rides, etc on them. Or get the book, Disney for Kids by Kids so he can see pictures of the rides and attractions.

The Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party will be going on while you are there...that is always great fun for kids, especially if they dress up in their costumes.

I am a former teacher myself...actually taught up the road from you at the Elementary School In Moultonborough years ago! When my kids were little, my hubby would just roll his eyes when the "teacher" part of me would come out for trip planning.

Have fun planning!
Wendy

ALEXMOMMY
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
We went at Christmas w/ my daughter, right before she turned 3. She was awesome! We're going back in Sept. and I can't wait! Hopefully it won't be too hot in Oct. for you, I really liked the baby/mommy center near crystal palace in MK. Air conditioned and rooms for feeding/changing-good for the baby. :blush: Iplan on taking breaks in the heat of the day and just try not to do too much too fast. Good luck!

teambricker04
04-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I *heart* the baby centers too. They are so nice when it is hot outside!!!

Just remember that there are lots of things to do at the resorts. My DS#1 is 3 and LOVES the sing a long/bon fire/movie at FW. Its a great break from the parks!

My favorite tip that I have read on the boards recently is taking a plastic over the door shoe caddy (a cheap one so you can leave it!) for everyone to put their sundries and such in. I am going to get one and bring it with!!!

Buttercup
04-05-2008, 08:32 AM
I made little "Waiting In Line" activity books. :mickey:

I took simple, cheap 4x6 photo albums and I put pictures in that I'd printed off the internet of characters, etc. at WDW. I also made up a few matching games in there that don't require any crayons or anything.... like "find the 2 mickeys" and "find the 2 goofys". Stuff like that.

*Note, if you are going to do this, it's a good idea to tape the photo slots shut in the album -- little kids like to pull the pictures out!

Kept the kids nice n' busy in long lineups!

BostonChic
04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
We went when my first son was 18mo and it was okay.It was easier because my husband doesn't like fast rides so he would stay with him so nephew and I could ride.I would try the babyswap,too.It's a little challenging when you have a stroller(bring one,wouldn't rent)cause most attractions are indoors so you have to leave stroller,gather bags,hold him etc....but inspite of those things;I melted when my 18mo. old was trying to grab the character's faces and giggling at them :cloud9: We will be traveling with DS#2 12mo.and I plan on afternoon breaks/swimming.I can't wait!!!Hope you have a Magical trip :mickey:

disney100%
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I made little "Waiting In Line" activity books. :mickey:

I took simple, cheap 4x6 photo albums and I put pictures in that I'd printed off the internet of characters, etc. at WDW. I also made up a few matching games in there that don't require any crayons or anything.... like "find the 2 mickeys" and "find the 2 goofys". Stuff like that.

*Note, if you are going to do this, it's a good idea to tape the photo slots shut in the album -- little kids like to pull the pictures out!

Kept the kids nice n' busy in long lineups!

What a great idea! My son loves the look and find books - we have a lot of Disney ones - but they are too bulky to carry around. This will be the perfect solution! I can't wait to get started!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!