PDA

View Full Version : Need some pixie dust... got downsized yesterday

Kairi_7378
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi all, I had a very difficult day yesterday. The company that I have been working at for the past 8.5 years told me yesterday that my job had been eliminated in preparation for the projected economic downturn. My position was one of eight that was eliminated. I have been there since I was a college intern, and I am devastated. They also let the guy who had the best billing ratings in the office, and a guy who just got his PE (Professional Engineers' license) go.

We have a lot of cash squirreled away and we are on my husband's health insurance so I am not worried about these things for the time being. What has also complicated this matter for me is that I am 4.5 months pregnant, and as a civil engineer, I am sometimes required to do work on construction sites. I have been on restricted duty since January (when I found out that I was pregnant). I don't know how to go about interviewing for jobs when I am going to start showing any day now.

This morning was incredibly difficult- I thought that it was a dream and I cried when DH left for work because we commuted to the city together. I'm giving myself today to be a mopey cranky person, but after that I have to figure out what to do in this situation. So, if you have any spare pixie dust or prayers for a fellow Disney fan, could you please send them my way?

offwego
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this..and so glad you still have your health insurance!

Does the company offer any transition support? As an alumni of your school can you use them for networking etc again?

Pixie dust on it's way & I hope this leads you to a brighter future.

AuntDJ
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
SOOO much Pixie Dust coming your way!:pixie::pixie::pixie: and a :grouphug:!

I am sooo sorry this happened especially since you are expecting! I was "downsized" in January, but the company gave us a 4 month notice, so I am still employed until the end of this month. I am single so no husbands insurance for me. However, like you I have been an excellent saver so I think I will be okay and my company is giving me a great severence package, I have been here for 10- years.

Good Luck and I know you will land on your feet!

DJ

Tinkerfreak
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
So sorry to hear this. I hope you find something soon. I know it is hard not to be stressed out but try to stay calm for the baby.
It must be so frustrating to put 10 that many years into a job and just all of a sudden be let go with no warning.

Gooftroop5
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie:!

I hope you can find something soon. Allowing yourself a couple days is good. Just don't let it turn into too many. I hope you find soemthing soon. Best wishes

bleukarma
04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear this! Getting laid off is stressful, I’m getting laid off at the end of the month. I can’t imagine going through it while pregnant! At least you have your husbands insurance, so that’s good! Try to keep your spirits up for the baby. Something will come along eventually and everything will work out in the end. It always does. :pixie:

crazeedizneefinatic
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Sending lots and lots of pixie dust your way! Your situation hits home with so many.

Losing a job is the most awful thing in the world, especially if you don't know it's coming. I had just had my baby when my husband lost his job (this was 7 years ago), he was the only income and health insurance, so it really really hurt us. My son was about a week old when it happened and I had no plans to return to work, I was going to stay at home and raise him. My husband insisted that was still going to be the case but the stress was too much, a newborn, no job, no health insurance. We had to pay for some our our sons doctors visits! It took almost 4 months for him to find something stable, he did work here and there for a temp agency for some income, but it did not come close. We went through our savings and still have not recovered fully.

Although you lost your job it seems like the stability is there, health insurance and money, that is something to be thankful for anyway. While looking I wish you tons of success in finding something you really want and like. But in the meantime read a good book and take an afternoon bath, plan for the baby. Try not to stress, it will only make you nuts.

Jasper
04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation. I was in Human Resources for 15 years and was on both sides of the table at different times. One of the important things to remember is that you do still have a full time job. Your full time job for now is to find employment! If you approach your job search as a full time job you are likely to land something more quickly.

As for being pregnant, be up front and honest with any potential employer. While your pregnancy should not be the first thing you talk about, when the discussion about what is expected of you in your new job then be honest and tell them what your current restrictions are. Of course, also be sure to let them know that once the baby is born those restrictions will end.

Don't forget to continue to communicate with your former co-workers both at the job you just left and with any that left ahead of you. Often times you will learn about the best opportunities through former co-workers.

Keep a positive attitude and remember the old saying "this too shall pass!!"

crazypoohbear
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, what a day for you :(
I'm sending pixie dust that you find a new job soon.
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::
hug::hug: take things easy for a couple of days, you need it

tinkerbell04
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Laura,
I am so sorry to hear about your job loss. I am sinding lots and lots of :pixie: your way. Hopefull all things will work out for the best. Please keep us posted on what happens.

mrsgaribaldi
04-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm so sorry. I like to think that everything happens for a reason so I'm sure that something better is coming along for you. I hope it comes soon. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

ElenitaB
04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope you got a good severance package. Good luck with your job search.

:pixie: for that new door to open (the one that appears after a window is closed) for you soon!

Dsnygirl
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you - and good for you for giving yourself a day to be a "mopey cranky person".... you deserve it, and it's good to give yourself that time to be honest about how you're feeling! Since you guys will be fine for now on the $$ front, give yourself a little time to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.... I'm sure you'll find the right answer for you and your growing family!! Good luck!

MsMin
04-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to send well wishes and :pixie: I too believe that things happen for a reason and there is something better out there waiting for you. Do take care. :pixie:

pdrlkr
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
:pixie: :pixie:

KEYONNAH
04-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your job loss. Sending :pixie::pixie: and prayers for a great job your way.

Tick-Tock
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I understand how unsettling this is - my DH got laid off unexpectedly just a couple of months ago. Luckily we're fine on the financial front as well. Don't stress and look at this as an opportunity to go on to better things. One of my friends has been laid off twice, and both times he ended up in much better situations. In fact, just about everyone I know who was laid off did much better afterward!

disneydeb
04-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this.:pixie: & :hug: for you as you go through this.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
lots of prayers and pixie dust your way hun...

I've never been in a situation like this, but I can only imagine how discouraging it must be. I wish you the very best and I am sure better things are in your future!

murphy1
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm so sorry, hang in there. I'm married to an eng., (EE). I stopped working FT after having our first child (we have three now). I was laid off my first job from college, it's a terrible feeling at the time, but it worked out well in the long run. I feel like this recession is just like the one back in '91. You are smart that you socked the cash away, we did that when dh lost his job back in '01 and we had just had our second child. It really makes you a strong person and just look out for yourself, I hate to say, but company loyalty is a past thing. And above all, know that you are of value and have a lot to offer.

Kairi_7378
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you all for the prayers, pixie dust, and words of encouragement. Thursday was a very rough day but time has been a wonderful healer. I am still sad and angry as all heck (especially about loosing my maternity leave!!!) but I am not going to sit around any more, because I have two jobs... finding a new job and getting ready for the baby! I made good use of the time that I wasn't able to concentrate on job stuff... I managed to pack of the junk that was in the baby's room. DH was impressed about that at least. I was able to provide my contact information to my former co workers, so I will be able to keep in touch and network for other opportunities. My boss told me that if the economy picked up again that he would call me back immediately. I am not going to hold my breath about this but if they call before the baby is born, I will jump on it in a shot!

I'm also a part time grad student and my adviser was able to point me in the direction of a few leads. Some of my other students are part time and have offered to take my resume to their respective HR departments. There is also a job fair on campus on Wednesday... now I have to go to the mall and get a maternity suit. DH, who also lost his job in 2001, has been pushing very hard to make sure that I am proactive with everything.

Thank you again for the kind words. Never doubt the magic of Intercot Pixie Dust. I can now personally vouch for it's effectiveness.

murphy1
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
You have a great attitude, keep that up, someone will be lucky to have you work for them. I meant to add in my post have you looked at contract work? My dh did this in his eng. field and it paid really well. Just a thought.

DisneyWhirled
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Good luck to you. Please know that you are not alone. My DH is in the same exact field as you, and just this week his hours have been cut back and two of his co-workers have been laid off. I am praying that he won't be. I have enough to get us by for a few months, but with two children and the prices of everything right now--I am very worried.

Kairi_7378
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Good luck to you. Please know that you are not alone. My DH is in the same exact field as you, and just this week his hours have been cut back and two of his co-workers have been laid off. I am praying that he won't be. I have enough to get us by for a few months, but with two children and the prices of everything right now--I am very worried.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and for DH. Things have been tight in the industry for the past few months but they are still building things... so SOMEONE has to be working. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

I am so sorry to hear this! Getting laid off is stressful, I’m getting laid off at the end of the month. I can’t imagine going through it while pregnant! At least you have your husbands insurance, so that’s good! Try to keep your spirits up for the baby. Something will come along eventually and everything will work out in the end. It always does. :pixie:

I am sorry to hear about your layoff... I don't know what is worse, having no notice or dreading that it is coming. Have you had a chance to look around some?