PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO!-Pirates of the Carribean [Merged Threads]

AuntDJ
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I just read on the Disney site that Pirates is going to be in refurb June 5-18...My whole trip! It is one of my favs!!!

Well, there is it...a reason to go back!

DJ

SgtTigger
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Thats not good...... we will be there too.....

Oh well.........

:cop: :tigger:

KylesMom
04-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I saw that earlier today & thought 'crazy'. You would've thought they'd take it down in early to mid May . . . I'm sorry you guys are going to miss it.

wdwfansince75
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
We are arriving June 20.....DS's and their families would have been very disappointed to miss it for a second straight trip....we missed it on our trip in June 06, although DW and I got to see the re-do on our trip in May, 07. It is a traditional first ride for the family, almost from our first trip.

BriarRose0708
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Phew! We'll be arriving on the 4th! Our plan was the go to MGM that day, but I think we'll be making a detour to the MK just to catch a ride. It makes sense though, because the last P&P Party is the 4th, so there's no way they could close it down earlier!:pirate:

tinklover
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
The thought of this just makes me :ill:. we will be down there during this refurb with 8 first timers who were really looking forward to riding this ride and they have all said this will be their one and only disney trip. now my thing is do I tell them now or just let them find out when we get there and pretend to be in shock?

senderella
04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
What a bummer! That is always a favorite especially with the addition of Capn' Jack!
Sorry you are going to miss it.
We are arriving on the 20th, hopefully it will be back open.

joanna71985
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I saw that earlier today & thought 'crazy'. You would've thought they'd take it down in early to mid May . . . I'm sorry you guys are going to miss it.

It's going down then, because of the P&P Parties. The last one is June 4th.

Aurora
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me. I have a 3-year-old who lives pirates, who has all the figures and a pirate ship, and who we have been talking to about this ride for months. We will be there from June 9-15. I could never have guessed they would take this down during the summer. In fact, this is the first time we're going in the summer because we didn't think we would have to worry much about refurbs.

Why do they need two weeks? How does it make any sense that it's because of the P&P parties because the ride's open during the day?

Say it isn't so. This will be our last trip in quite a long time, and my kids have not been since 2003. We were so looking forward to this. I just want to cry or throw things.

Will Captain Jack at least be there outside to soften the blow?

Nascfan
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I saw that yesterday too. Fortunately it's only for the first half of our trip, so we'll get to ride it later in the week.

But, I'm curious as to why they would need to refurbish it already? After all, they just did one and added Capt. Jack at that time. Does anyone know if something went wrong with the previous refurb that they'd need to do another so quickly?

It does seem strange that they'd have such a popular ride closed down during the first stretch of the busy summer season, but I guess they gotta do what they gotta do.

Aurora
04-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Well I know people will be thinking, "It's just one ride," but I just sent a letter to Bob Iger. My kids are going to be so disappointed. They are such huge pirates fans and were so looking forward to this. I stopped being sad and started being mad. If this is truly because of the P&P parties, which they get a pretty penny for, then I am even madder. If we had known about these dates we would have scheduled our vacation for different dates. It's too late now, since we've already purchased airfare and booked the hotel. GRRRRRRRRR........

letsdoitagain
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
That's horrible. Last year it was Haunted Mansion when I was there, now this year its going to be Pirates. This is only my second trip to WDW and two major attractions have been closed. Very un-cool!!!

julyjewel
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Like my husband just said, very un cool! My son loves this ride. He is even having his Pirates birthday party right before we go down. I'm not too happy about that.

buzznwoodysmom
04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I do understand everyone's frustration, honestly I do. We went in late May of 06 (part of the trip was during Memorial Day weekend) and that is when Pirates was down for its big refurb. We had a family of first timers and all 4 of our boys (ages 3, 4, 5 and 6) were huge pirate fans! It was dissappointing to have such a great, popular ride down, one that our boys were so looking forward to, but it wasn't the end of the world. We still had a great time. There is so much to do in WDW that it more than makes up for a ride being down, even if it is your favorite. I have been to WDW 8 times and there is always at least one ride down on every trip. The only way to keep WDW updated and fresh is to refrub rides from time to time. At least you all know about it ahead of time. Maybe some of you with upset children can try and book a pirate cruise to soften the blow or let them get an extra special something from the pirate adventure room at the World of Disney store at DTD.

Oh, one more thing. Them not closing the ride down until the P&P parties are over makes perfect sense to me. I mean, come on, how can you have a PIRATE and Princess party with out having the pirate ride open!!!

ghost999
04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
ah man, bummer for all the people going during refurb, i'm just glad i'm not going. anyways Pirates is one of the biggest attractions and is a major planning point on peoples schedules, so no pirates may mean not a big crowd. well that is unless they go for other reasons. HaHa:mickey:

Aurora
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Pirates is one of the biggest attractions and is a major planning point on peoples schedules, so no pirates may mean not a big crowd.

That's part of my problem. Obviously most people's plans have already been made well in advance, so now we can't plan around it. So glad we found out just eight weeks before we leave! :mad:

BluewaterBrad
04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I have not told my niece yet. She loves pirates and John Depp. We are going the 15th.:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Whew!!! Thank goodness we booked when we did! We would have been devastated! There are several we could deal with missing, but not this one!I do feel for those who are going to miss it--it does seem like late notice!

chicade88
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Bummer for you guys!! I was bummed enough that Cinderella's Carousel was going to be down but that is absolutely nothin compared to Pirates! :(

Aurora
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
WOW -- I just got a phone call from the executive office about my e-mail from earlier today to tell me that they are sorry that the ride will be closed, but that even though the dates are scheduled that there may be a chance the ride will be open while we are there, depending on how long the contractors take. AND he said there may be a Jack Sparrow "tutorial" or something else offered for entertainment. YAY!!

I was very impressed that I received a phone call! Especially because I gave my name, address and e-mail but not my phone number! :eek:

Nascfan
04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
The only way to keep WDW updated and fresh is to refrub rides from time to time. At least you all know about it ahead of time.

Denise, while I understand and completely agree with this statement, I still don't understand why they have to refurb it when it was just done 2 years ago. Why don't they spend a little time and money on C of P, or give Peter Pan a fresh look, or any number of other attractions that have gone far longer than 2 years. Did they screw up the first refurb? Did something happen or go wrong that they have to close it down again, after just 2 years? It's not like people touch things as they are in the boats, is it? (general questions for anybody, not just you) That's the point I was trying to make.

I'm glad we'll at least get to experience it the second half of our trip, I would have been disappointed to have waited 2 years to see the new look, only to have to wait another 2 years after that.

Aurora, congrats on getting the phone call from the executive office! :thumbsup: That has to help ease the sting at least a little. Did they give you any indication as to why they are refurbing again after such a short time?

buzznwoodysmom
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Scott,

I understand what you were saying. My point was that the only way for WDW to continue to be a place we all love is to refurb rides and such. I wasn't exactly talking about POTC or any particular ride, just that that is part of life! That means that at some point lots of people will have to be disappointed that their favorite ride is down. I understand lots of posters are sad about this ride, but if it weren't during their trip it would be during someone elses and if it weren't POTC it would be another ride. And while I know that POTC went down for a major refurb 2 years ago (we had a trip during that time and our boys were very disappointed) I am sure WDW has a good reason for it going down again. I can't imagine they'd take such a popular ride down during the summer with no good reason. And also remember that some of these ride refurbs are to ensure the safety of us guests. With all the people who ride this attraction I can see how it may need something done, even if it has only been two years. I know its a great ride and all, but I wouldn't change my vacation plans for just one ride and I wouldn't be so angry with Disney, but that's just me, and I understand that everyone is different. One more think, Scott, I do agree with you that there are lots of rides that are in need of some TLC. Let's just hope Disney gets to them too!

princessjojo
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Can I just say I am so frustrated by this:humph: :thedolls: :down: :fit: :pout: :angry: :drama:. All last year I looked forward to riding this "new & improved" PoTC and now this! After all, it's still new, within reason anyway. And now I find out that the day I arrive, it will be closed and won't re-open until around the day I leave. What has this world come to. First, disease, then war, now this?

Oh well, I guess I'll be the one standing in line waiting for a FP before my flight leaves.

loopner67
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh Amy, I'm so sad for you! I would have been so upset if I couldn't have seen the "new POC" last year, so I feel your pain. We all know that they have to do refurbs, but it stinks so bad when it's during your vacation. So much goes into planning a trip (including lots of $$$).

(((((hugs for you))))))

Catzle
04-03-2008, 09:18 PM
That's amazing that you a call so quick. I sent a letter and an email a week ago and have not heard a word. You must have had a great strong letter that caught their attention.
I remember the first year we went 5 years ago all I was looking forward to was taking my kids on It's a Small World I loved it as a kid and just couldn't wait to experience it with my kids and we found out shortly before we went it was closing for rehab like a few days before we were to get there, I was very upset but they did a great job and have experienced a lot since than. Something to look forward to I guess.

linedropper
04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry to hear that! But they need to do some refurb in there! 3/4 of the ride is old! time to put some more of the pirate characters in!

Steve:mickey:

Aurora
04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Aurora, congrats on getting the phone call from the executive office! :thumbsup: That has to help ease the sting at least a little. Did they give you any indication as to why they are refurbing again after such a short time?

It sounded like it was a routine refurb, but I didn't ask. He said they did try to schedule them to affect the least number of people, and that the dates ARE fairly fluid.

Young@Heart
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
We missed it in 2006, and were very disappointed, but still had a great time.

Unfortunately, the refurbs are part of the Disney experience. Luckily, most of us here know to look at the refurb list ahead of time, so we're not in shock when we arrive at the world.

Of course, the disappointment is still there, but knowing ahead of time just gives us a chance to get used to missing out on something. Then, we can look more forward to something else. ;)

CaptSmee
04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
WOW -- I just got a phone call from the executive office about my e-mail from earlier today to tell me that they are sorry that the ride will be closed, but that even though the dates are scheduled that there may be a chance the ride will be open while we are there, depending on how long the contractors take. AND he said there may be a Jack Sparrow "tutorial" or something else offered for entertainment. YAY!!

I was very impressed that I received a phone call! Especially because I gave my name, address and e-mail but not my phone number! :eek:

Uhm... the Jack Sparrow tutorial is offered almost everyday. It's not something special being offered, but it is highly entertaining and lots of fun! That's a bummer it's going down for refurb, must be in need of some maintenance though! I'm just glad it's not during my trip (sorry!)

KylesMom
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Aurora, I applaud you on writing to Disney. However, while I can appreciate their quick response to your letter, I still think the 60-some-day notice they gave on the two week closure is unacceptable. This is during the beginning of longer hours and summer visitors - ones who've already booked and can't change their plans. Not to mention this closure comes during Star Wars Weekends when many come to Disney for "adventures". I really don't think that it's going to be a slow time for visitors, and I think many a family will be very disappointed.

It's one thing when you can prepare your family for a closure of this magnitude, but another when Disney's gotten the bookings and decided to bring a major attraction down. For instance, last year I was able to inform my family that one of our favorite attractions, HM, would be down 5-6 months before our vacation time began. In fact, due to rumour & speculation, I also prepared them last June that SM may be closed for our trip this year. Now it appears that SM will be open for our July visit, but it's awful difficult to explain to a young child who's dreaming of Pirates to understand that they can't see it! I'm hoping for the best that you get some "Pirate Magic" during your trip! :mickey:

Sorry to hear that! But they need to do some refurb in there! 3/4 of the ride is old! time to put some more of the pirate characters in!
Since they just did a major refurb on PotC to coincide with the 2nd movie, I'm sure this is general maintenance, and not adding a whole lot of anything.

Aurora
04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Uhm... the Jack Sparrow tutorial is offered almost everyday. It's not something special being offered, but it is highly entertaining and lots of fun! That's a bummer it's going down for refurb, must be in need of some maintenance though! I'm just glad it's not during my trip (sorry!)

I knew that the "tutorial" was offered but wasn't sure how routinely or whether it would be going on if the ride was down. We discussed it because I asked in my letter whether there would be any opportunity to meet Jack Sparrow, so he was likely responding to my specific question, and I wanted everyone else to know what was said.

I know it doesn't take the place of the ride, but it does soften the blow somewhat.

That's amazing that you a call so quick. I sent a letter and an email a week ago and have not heard a word. You must have had a great strong letter that caught their attention.

In my letter I described in detail what huge fans my kids are, and I did specifically request a response. But I didn't really expect one, let alone so soon, and especially a phone call, again since I didn't include my phone number in the letter! I'm sure Disney knows more about me than I realize!

tinklover
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I posted earlier about this refurb making me ill but my DBF has given me the medicine I needed lol. he GETS disney . woo hoo I am so excited. He got home from work yesterday and I tell him that POTC is going to be down for a refurb while we are there. He imediately says oh man thatis one of teh rides I really liked.( this will be his second trip to the world) He then says oh well just another reason for us to go back as soon as possible. when i heard that come out of his mouth i had tears of joy well up in my eyes. he gets it , he really gets it. he was even teh one who stated that once his transfer goes thru and we move to florida we are going to get annual passes so we can go when ever . :cloud9:

joanna71985
04-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately there is no "good" period to do rehabs anymore.