PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Boardwalk

buzznwoodysmom
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
We are taking a family trip to Disney's Vero Beach this summer and couldn't stand to be so close to WDW without going for at least one night. We'd like to one day stay at all the WDW resorts so figured why not spend one night at a new resort and get a little piece of Disney on our way home. We are renting DVC points from someone and the only thing he could get us for the date we wanted was Boardwalk (our requests were Beach Club, Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom Lodge). So I am looking for suggestions and tips to get the most from this resort with such a short stay. We aren't doing any parks. We just want to swim, shop, eat out and enjoy being surrounded by Disney Magic. Where is the best place to eat dinner? Where should I request our room be? We will have a studio room. What kind of activities do they have at the Boardwalk at night and what time does everything usually get started? I am considering talking DH into adding one more night so that we can either go to one of the parks one day, or at least do a water park, but for now we are just spending the one night.

Maleficent's Dad
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
The Boardwalk is a great resort; one of its best "perks," however, is its location to the parks. Since you won't be visiting a park, I'll try to give you the rundown.

Where is the best place to eat dinner?
Best is Flying Fish. Other options include Spoodles, ESPN, and Big River. These are just on the Boardwalk. You're within easy walking distance of YC (Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Captain's Grille), BC (Beaches & Cream, Cape May Cafe), or Swan & Dolphin.
In other words, there are lots of choices! :thumbsup:

Where should I request our room be? We will have a studio room.
Other than the Grand Villas, size of the accomodations doesn't usually dictate location.
The villas can be long, so if you want to be near an elevator - request it! There's only one and it can be a long hallway to your room.
You could always request a BW view, but that's tied into the points used!

What kind of activities do they have at the Boardwalk at night and what time does everything usually get started?
The Boardwalk's entertainment doesn't start until after 6 PM.
They have jugglers, magicians, street performers - that sort of thing. They're usually pretty high quality, and they almost always ask for audience participation. I once got "volunteered" to stand between two jugglers who knocked an unlit cigarette out of my mouth (no, I DO NOT SMOKE) while passing knives in front/back of me. It's a blast!

Entertainment goes on for several hours and is pretty random.

buzznwoodysmom
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Best is Flying Fish. Other options include Spoodles, ESPN, and Big River. These are just on the Boardwalk. You're within easy walking distance of YC (Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Captain's Grille), BC (Beaches & Cream, Cape May Cafe), or Swan & Dolphin.
In other words, there are lots of choices! :thumbsup:

Thanks Maleficnet's Dad,

I should have been more specific. I do know all the options in and around the boardwalk. We would like to eat somewhere at the Boardwalk (we always eat at the TS at which ever resort we are staying ). What I was wondering is which, of those at the Boardwalk, is the best place to eat. We have never eaten at any of the Boardwalk's restaurants. DH seems to like the menu at Flying Fish better, but I've heard such great things about Spoodles. Do you think Flying Fish is worth the extra cost, it appears to be a bit more expensive.

Maleficent's Dad
04-02-2008, 08:58 AM
DH seems to like the menu at Flying Fish better, but I've heard such great things about Spoodles. Do you think Flying Fish is worth the extra cost, it appears to be a bit more expensive.
FF is definitely more expensive than Spoodles. It is, however, IMO, worth it. If anyone is a fish lover and/or "foodie," FF is a solid choice.

I've eaten at Spoodles several times; food is good - very decent (not the quality of FF), but we've several times had problems with the service at the restaurant.

I do realize that FF is not for everyone. It's a "creatively prepared fish menu." In other words, it's fancy seafood! But we love it quite a bit.

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks,

FF should be a great choice for us as we are all seafood lovers, even the kids!

I can't wait to stay here. It seems like a really fun resort to stay at for what we are going for!

Here we go again...
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Denise!!!
Where have you been?
I knew you could not stay away from Disney for long..... ;)

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Angel,

We really need to do lunch and catch up! I've been super busy. We are in the process of buying a house in Lafayette and trying to sell our piece of land we were going to build on. You can't imagine how much time it takes do do that!

I know, we can't stay away from Disney for too long. Our goal was to not vacation until we either finished building or bought a house. Lucky for me we ended up buying. We should be all moved it by the end of the month. Now I can go back to disney!!! Yay!!!!

How have you been?