PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with INTERCOT - April

Carol
04-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Share your recipes & tips, ask advice, get ideas...

It's all about Cooking with INTERCOT for April! :umbrella: :rain:

:eat: :pizza: :popcorn: :mcoffee: :stir:

TOThater
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
OH did you know that grilled ch. tasted WAY better with olive ole:thumbsup::cloud9: and peperjack ch.

ShelbyAD
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I am making chicken tonight, but don't know how to fix it or with what. Don't want to make the usual (chicken, rice, and a veggie).

Stuff I have available:

* 2 boneless/skinless chicken (white meat)
* Pasta (elbow, egg, spaghetti, angel hair, shells, bowties)
* Rice - white & brown
* Veggies - Green beans & corn
* 1 can cream mush soup (maybe)
* Spaghetti sauce
* Bread crumbs
* Italian, Ranch & Honey Mustard salad dressings
* BBQ sauce
* Parmasean cheese
* Instant Mashed Potatoes

I have made different dishes with the above. Kind of need a different mixture - I can even go to the store for something different.

IloveDisney71
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I have a weight watcher's recipe that my family even loves to eat.
Ingredients:
4 ck. breasts
2 cans 98% fat free cream of ck. soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
Sprinkle with garlic salt

Serve over rice or pasta.

You are supposed to throw the first 4 ingredients in a crockpot to slow cook. Then you make your rice or pasta later.

??? I don't know if you could change this to cook in the oven faster. ???

Tick-Tock
04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Go to the website for the Taste of Home magazine and use the recipe search (plug in a couple of the ingredients you have available). They have lots of yummy recipes that are easy to fix.

scootch713
04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you have any soft tortilla shells??? Spray shells with Pam on one side. cook/sprinkle chicken with some taco seasoning in skillet.. put on tortilla shells with cheese(your choice, my family like the mexican blend)... put on foil and grill. Great chicken enchaladas... top with some lettuce, salsa, sour cream, delic!

DisneyDog
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
There's a lot of things you could do with those ingredients. You could coat the chicken with the mashed potato flakes, even add some parm cheese into that, and bake it.

You could pour Italian dressing over the chicken and bake it.

You could dice the chicken, sautee in a pan with some oil, boil the noodles, then add the noodles and the veggies into the pan with the chicken, add some pasta sauce (or maybe even the mushroom soup with some milk), and mix it all up together. (I've done this with a variety of things and a variety of sauces...seafood with alfredo and pasta and brocolli for example...lots of options)

Hope this helps!

RedSoxFan
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Cheesy Chicken:

Salt/Pepper chicken and place in baking dish

Mix: 1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup cheddar cheese

Pour over chicken
Bake at 350 for 1.5 hours

JanetMegan
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm having a little dinner party on Friday evening with a chicken and sausage skewer on the grill, a ceasar salad, some bread and I need a side dish, maybe something with broccoli, and maybe slightly healthy?

d_m_n_n
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I have a weight watcher's recipe that my family even loves to eat.
Ingredients:
4 ck. breasts
2 cans 98% fat free cream of ck. soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
Sprinkle with garlic salt

Serve over rice or pasta.

You are supposed to throw the first 4 ingredients in a crockpot to slow cook. Then you make your rice or pasta later.

??? I don't know if you could change this to cook in the oven faster. ???

Just curious...What's the pts. value for this? It sounds really yummy!

wdwgrl377
04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
You could dice the chicken, sautee in a pan with some oil, boil the noodles, then add the noodles and the veggies into the pan with the chicken, add some pasta sauce (or maybe even the mushroom soup with some milk), and mix it all up together. (I've done this with a variety of things and a variety of sauces...seafood with alfredo and pasta and brocolli for example...lots of options)

Hope this helps!

WOW! This sounds good to me! I just might make this for dinner tonight!! :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
My most favorite way of making that pasta recipe is with baby shrimp, baby scallops (you can get them in the freezer section for $2.00/bag), and a can of crabmeat. Add brocolli and mushrooms and alfredo sauce...be sure to add the crabmeat last of all. Everything can be prepared in one large pan (except for boiling the noodles). It is awesome!

goofysbabe
04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I know this is a little late, but maybe for next time:

Chicken (breast, skinless, boneless)
Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 can of milk (I use soup can /cuts down on dishes)
Swiss Cheese
Stove Top Stuffing - Chicken Flavor
1/2 stick butter
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place chicken that you have salt & pepered in a baking dish, place swiss cheese slices over top of chicken, mix soup & milk together and pour over chicken, pour stuffing over chicken (make sure it cover entire baking dish) dot top of stuffing with butter. Bake 350 for 1 hour.

This is my familys favorite chicken recipe. You can also put this in a crockpot on low/medium for the day and have a delicious dinner when you arrive home.

dlpmikki
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
My mother in law gave me a very simple but tasty recipie - fry the chicken in small pieces, then add two or three sliced bananas (depends on size of banana) then add enough cream to coat them. Serve with rice. Very good!

TheMartellFamily
04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Boil noodles. make a baked chicken parmasean with pasta sauce, chicken breast and parmasean cheese on top. When baked though place chicken, cheese, and sauce on top of the noodles. there is easy chicken parmasean.

TheMartellFamily
04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Here is another one. Maranade the chicken breasts in the Italian dressing and then make the instant mashed potatoes as according to directions but add the parmasean cheese maybe some garlic or other shreded cheese to it.

MsMin
04-11-2008, 12:29 AM
When I have stuff on a skewer I love to make some different rice to lay it on. Some great yellow rice makes the plate more colorful but sometimes I use a wild rice if I'm going for flavor! Hope you have a wonderful time.

ShelbyAD
04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Those all sound yummy! I went to the store to get Cream of Chicken soup and 1 or 2 other things. Walked out with $40 worth of food. :blush: The store had a bunch of 10 for $10. Of course I did not get 10 of the same thing, but did get different items. Their Knorrs flavored Rice was part of that deal. I picked up 5 or 6 of them. Can never have too much rice ;)

One chicken dish I have made before was, marinate in Italian dressing, sprinkle Italian bread crumbs & Parmesan cheese & bake. Make some angel hair pasta - put Italian dressing, cut up grape tomatos, & bacon bits, mix together. It came out pretty good. Although I did go overboard on the dressing in the pasta. Oopps. But when you heated it as leftovers in the microwave, most of the "extras" evaporated - which was a good thing.

Mickey'sGirl
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm having a little dinner party on Friday evening with a chicken and sausage skewer on the grill, a ceasar salad, some bread and I need a side dish, maybe something with broccoli, and maybe slightly healthy?
My MinL makes a great broccoli salad using broccoli, yogurt, sunflower seeds, feta, golden raisins and salt and pepper. It is best made in advance, and can be stored and used for several days. VERY VERY popular!:thumbsup:

offwego
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Also if you want simple, steamed broccli with a splash of orange juice and sprinkle of toasted almond flakes is nice.

Alligirl
04-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Ok so my DD DH and DB(dear brother) have decided to enter a grilling competition.:chef: They need to make a chicken dish, beef dish, pork dish and oyster dish. They have never done anything like this so we are having "practice" weekends. :shake:Anyone who could help and share recipes or tips I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!!
~Allison

offwego
04-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Are they looking for dry rub ideas? The oysters I'm not sure about but...

What about going for something different with the chicken like indian spices? yougurt and curry powder and tumric mixed together as a marinade for thighs and drumsticks will give you a really tender result.

Alligirl
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow the yogurt idea is neat! My husband is from Lebanon so he was thinking a Mediteranian type chicken. They used applesauce to marinade the pork and used a apple and cider vinegar based BBQ sauce on it. For the beef they did a sweet and spicy type with dried peppers and orange peel in the rub. Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:Cant wait to see what next weekend brings!:D

Allison

Dulcee
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Jerk Chicken with grilled bannanas is a fantastic grilled chicken dish and can be pretty easy if you can find some already mixed jerk seasoning. Throw that on the chicken pieces, peel bannanas and cut in half and put it all on the grill. Faaaantastic

TheMartellFamily
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Easiest salad in the world. Broccoli flowerets, red onions in rings, can of mandrin oranges(drained), and last but not least fat free catalina salad dressing to taste. put together and let maranade. very popular salad when I make it and very easy.

Alligirl
04-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Jerk Chicken with grilled bannanas is a fantastic grilled chicken dish and can be pretty easy if you can find some already mixed jerk seasoning. Throw that on the chicken pieces, peel bannanas and cut in half and put it all on the grill. Faaaantastic

oooh! Grilled bananas? do you put anything on it? ...brown sugar, or honey? It sounds good! And since my DD thats doing this is named Ashton I guess she will now have to try it!;)

Thanks!

Dulcee
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
We usually brush them with some honey mixed with lime juice and a little bit of olive oil (to help them to not stick to the grill). You can really do whatever you want them, brown sugar and some dark rum works nice as does cinnamon or just salt and some olive oil. Also I put earlier peeled banannas, its easier to not peel them, which is what I meant to say. Just slice them in half length wise. They will hold their shape and stay together better on the grill that way.

Enjoy! (from one Ashton to another ;))

Alligirl
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow Dulcee that sounds so good! Thanks! We will be trying this very soon. When I would take my Girl Scouts camping they would make banana boats where they cut it open and put in chocolate chips and marshmallows. They really enjoyed it but they looked so sweet I never tried them. The brown sugar/Rum sounds much more to my liking!

Dulcee
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
So what is everyone making for dinner tonight? I'm a college student who loves to cook and I'm always looking for good budget friendly ideas of things that can be scaled back for someone cooking for one.

Here's what I'm making tonight.. it makes a great budget friendly yummy family meal too!

Ramen Noodles w/ Pork and Broccoli :D

Slice thin strips of pork chops or a pork loin (easier to do if the piece of meat is still frozen). Toss with flour, salt and pepper to coat. Quick fry in vegetable oil. Takes about two minutes if you keep batches small and strips of pork thin. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, saute some ginger, garlic and a little onion in some olive oil. Once soft add broccoli florets. Saute for a few minutes until bright green. Remove from heat until next step is done.

Set up water to boil package of ramen noodles. I like to buy the oriental ones for this and cook the noodles in the seasoned water. Once noodles are cooked, before draining I'll add a ladel of the seasoned water to the broccoli saute and cook until almost all the liquid is reduced. ( It softens up the broccoli)

Combine noodles, pork and broccoli mixture. Toss with some soy or sweet and sour sauce if desired and serve :)

Other great things to add in are mushrooms, scallions, tofu or bokchoy but I like the recipe as above. If you want to be a little more health conscious skip frying the pork and add it to the hot pan with the broccoli or quick boil in the seasoned broth. I've also used this recipe as a great way to use up left over pork loin from previous meals.