PDA

View Full Version : April Healthy Living Thread

Carol
04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Share your April diet - excercise - lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone! :cheer:

:hurdle: :walk: :rope: :strong: :lift: :trampo: :bowl:

Katzateer
04-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I have been trying to eliminate sugar from my diet. It is so hard. And I don't allow myself diet soft drinks either.

One thing I have found that helps me get through the morning is a handful of almonds and a banana first thing. I don't have time to make anything and I would be really hungry before I had a chance to eat again. Then I would crave a doughnut or something bad from a fast food place. Now I don't even think about it.

I can't believe all these years I have been drinking Diet Cokes and now it seems diet drinks are as bad for you as regular colas.

Good thing I like unsweetned tea and coffee!

I have been trying to walk for 30 minutes a day and yesterday I was complaining about how I just can't seem to lose weight.

My 13 year old that works out 15 hours a week (she is a gymnast) and is in great shape said she could tell I was losing weight even if I couldn't. That made me feel good.

Gooftroop5
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Anybody else tired of the constant mixed messages you read & hear about with trying to lose weight. Especially the latest with the water? :confused: Like it isn't hard enough to lose it to begin with but when you think you have a handle on it they change the rules. :(

Done venting. Dh and I have been doing ok. Not really getting anywhere so we now started walking. We are doing one of the walking dvds until the weather cooperates where we can get outside more to walk. It seems to be working. Of course we also increased our aerobic exercise to 6 days a week instead of just 3 & still do weight/toning exercise 3 days a week. On our just aerobic days we walk 3 miles. On the other days we walk a mile. We will see tomorrow if it has done anything. We lost several inches all over last week so even though it didn't really show on the scales last week we know we are making progress.

I'm hoping to lose about 3-5lbs in the next 2 weeks so when I see my dr for my physical I can be about 30lbs less then where i was last year. If I don't I don't its still over 20lbs less then I weighed last year at this time. It will actually be closer to 40lbs in reality because I gained almost 10lbs before I decided I needed to do something. The weight was adding too fast & I weighed what I weighed when I was pregnant but this time I wasn't. :blush:

Beast_fanatic
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been keeping up with this thread, I just haven't posted much in the last few months. Since last October when we went to Disney World, my weight has been creeping up as I have not been true to my nutrition plans. I've been fine on carbs (OK, I've cheated some), but I had let my portion sizes on my protein get larger and I wasn't caring about my fats either. I started trying to follow all the rules (not just the easy ones) again last week after a freakish jump in my weight, and I'm doing much better. :thumbsup:

To stay true to my plan, I've started writing down everything I eat or drink everyday, and this time I'm also estimating calories so I can see how far off my 1400 calories that I am and try to make adjustments to get to that 1400. I'm also recording how much exercise I'm getting each day and next week we start a new step challenge at work, so that will further motivate me.

Good luck to everyone!

IloveDisney71
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck to everyone with their diet and exercise programs!
I'm still trying to lose that last 5 pounds...but I'm just kind of stuck. I'm not going to lie, I cheat on my diet occasionally so I'm obviously not trying really hard to get that last five pounds off.:blush:
The good news is I've been able to maintain my current weight since January!:)
I've met my weight watchers goal and am a lifetime member now. I'm still going to meetings at least 3 times a month so I can stay motivated. I think that has helped me to maintain my weight.

I have a tip that has really helped me. On Sundays I go ahead and measure out my salads in individual containers so I can just grab them for my lunches during the week when I head to work. I also pre-measure anything else that I can ahead of time. I'm even known to peel a bunch of oranges (for snacks) at one time and then put them in ziploc bags. That way I can grab a healthy, ready-to-eat snack.

Gooftroop5
04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I broke my next minor goal with my weight.

DH & I walk at least 3 miles a day on minimum of 3 days. We walk at least 1 mile the other 3 plus do toning with the exercise ball. We started using those walking dvd's. Started by borrowing my friends then bought our own.

I also started today figuring out approximate distance to the stuff we walk to. For me church, library, kids' schools, etc. Dh to work. It was nice. the weather has been nice so besides inside I've gotten at least 1 or 2 miles in walking outside. I got to a point (mindset wise) that there is no going back & don't want to go back to the weight I was & patiently taking my time losing weight. I was a little fustrated like not getting anywhere fast. Now I know I will get where I need & want to be eventually and have a hopefully easier time keeping it off. No stopping me now. :number1:

This is my new attitude. I am trying to keep a positive attitude about everything. :cool:

I go to the dr on Monday to get my physical so we will see how much I actually did weigh a year ago & how much I weight I've lost. Also see what the dr has to say about it. I'm sure he will be happy.

I think we have been inspiring people cause a lot of family members have been interested in how we are doing it.

Narcoossee'sFan
04-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I was told by a friend that the Fiber One snack bars are really good. I tried them and really like them. If you do Weight Watchers, the caramel ones are 2 points, peanut butter ones are 3. They also have a chocolate one that I haven't tried, but my friend likes. They are chewy and sweet. I like these with my coffee in the morning. They stay with me until lunch. Good luck to everyone this week!
:D

daparish
04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Went to Weight Watcher's yesterday and finally hit 20 pounds. I am currently at 21 pounds. It is coming off so slowly!!!!!!!! (I joined in January) As my WW leader says - It takes as long as it takes!!!!

KineGirl
04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Ok so my back story is that Im 35 and I have a rare liver/lung disorder (AAT). Its not immediately life threatening but it is progressive. Im not overweight at all but could def be more fit. When I first got diagnosed late last year they did one of those lung capacity tests on me and I was at 67% - no wonder I felt like I couldnt breathe! Well I started doing that yoga series, Namaste Yoga, and Stretch Max on Fit TV. I love them and am totally hooked now. I just went in for another capacity test and it actually increased to 74%!! I really believe it is the breathing techniques that helped me. Not to mention my core muscles are getting stronger which in turn helps my lungs breathe easier. The hardest part of my new life with AAT has been that I am really not supposed to have cocktails. DH and I are fine dining addicts and really enjoy a nice cabernet or pinot noir with our dinners. I miss the what had become customary Friday bottle with my hubby. When I do partake .. I pay Big Time. Beers dont bother me as much and I do like microbrews... but still

Anyhooo I just wanted to share how much yoga and light pilates have helped me and encourage others to try it. Ive lost 5 pounds and 6 inches in 2 months and all with hardly breaking a sweat! The thing I like about both the most though is that unlike other, more strenuous exercises, I immediately feel better, more loose and relaxed. Less stress makes me less prone to want a glass of wine or that nasty (YUMMY) feel good food that is terrible for the body.

Congrats to all of you for making difficult lifestyle changes whether for weight loss or just to feel better! Keep it up and remember to love yourself no matter what!

PirateLover
04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey all.... I guess I am now joining this club. As a kid I was extremely skinny, as a teen I still managed to stay relatively thin, but now I'm 22 and the weight is starting to creep up on me. I am literally right on the end of what is considered "healthy" weight for my size, and I've gained about 15 pounds in the last year. I have been working out and am getting very toned but I'm honestly not losing ANYTHING! I felt it was time to get serious and get on a diet.

Yesterday I officially started the "Fat Smash" diet (If you watch celebrity fit club, it's the one they use). I saw the book online for $2 and I'm glad I didn't pay more because it is really small. It is a 90 day 4 phase diet that is less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change. You start off by detoxing the first 9 days... basically you can't have any kind of meat, empty carbs etc but you can have as much fruit and veggies. It's about getting your metabolism back in shape and trained to have 5 meals a day in decent portions. For each phase you can add in more and more foods, and by the end, you are allowed things like 2 slices of pizza 2x a week etc. Also he wants you to really exercise (which is fine because I have an elliptical machine, exercise bike, hand weights, balance ball etc)

I know I won't be able to follow this diet to a T, but I'm really trying to do the first 9 days right. But it's hard to fight off the cravings. Tonight we are going to Dollar Dog night at the baseball game. Everyone is telling me that I have to have just one but I really don't want to cheat. Then this weekend a local radio host is having a big cheesesteak challenge down the street from me. All the local cheesesteak purveyors will be bringing their sandwiches for patrons to try FOR FREE! My mouth waters just thinking off it... but I KNOW I have to start this diet now.

My goal is to lose at least the 15lbs I gained and to keep losing after that. My overall goal is about 22 lbs. After I finish this, I'm planning to join Weight Watchers with my mom to maintain my weight and help her lose weight (she has no motivation, and could never do the diet I'm trying).

So good luck to everyone else out there trying to get healthy, and good luck to me!

TheDuckRocks
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Maryann, I'm not to sure Weight Watchers will let you join after you have lost the weight. I think the rules are something along the lines of you have to be at least 10 pounds over your goal weight. I'll check for you and see if I can get the real "skinny" on this.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Maryann, I'm not to sure Weight Watchers will let you join after you have lost the weight. I think the rules are something along the lines of you have to be at least 10 pounds over your goal weight. I'll check for you and see if I can get the real "skinny" on this.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I had gotten that idea because I know someone who lost weight with them but still goes to meetings to maintain. I guess she could do that since she was already in the program. However, I could lose up to 38lbs or so and be at the other end of my healthy weight range. Maybe after I shed the initial 15lbs I'm going for, I can join WW and try to lose the rest. I really want to be able to do that with my mother, and she's had success with WW in the past but she's not ready to join quite yet which is why I'm trying this other thing on my own right now. I would love to lose more though!

BTW-I'll be starting day 4, and I haven't cheated at all! It's been hard b/c it's that time if you ladies know what I mean and I always get cravings but I've been strong! I even brought air popped popcorn and fruit with me to the baseball game.

TheDuckRocks
04-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Maryanne, the following is a chart of the miniumum weight you must be to join Weight Watchers. This weight is based on being 5 pounds over the minimum healthy weight goal weight allowed.
Hope this helps you!

Height Minimum
Joining Weight

4 9 - 97
4 10 - 101
4 11 - 104
5 0 - 107
5 1 - 111
5 2 - 114
5 3 - 118
5 4 - 122
5 5 - 125
5 6 - 129
5 7 - 133
5 8 - 137
5 9 - 140
5 10 - 144
5 11 - 148
6 0 - 152
6 1 - 157
6 2 - 161
6 3 - 165
6 4 - 169
6 5 - 174

PirateLover
04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks! I'm just under 5'3'' and my goal right now is 125... haven't seen 118 since 2001 so I think I'll be able to join, if I can still get my mom to. She's being very resistant, even though she lost tons of weight with WW in the past...it kinda bums me out because she is so unhealthy and refuses to make changes :(
BTW, I cheated and got on the scale today (the book said not to weigh yourself until the first 9 days were up). I've lost 5lbs! :party:

Bethis26fan
04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I've lost 8lbs so far in a little over a month. I will admit I haven't been 100% sticking with it. I bought the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video just to add something to my walking. This is my second day doing level 1, I think it will work because it gets my heart rate up and I'm feeling it today. My goal is to loose 36 more pounds before our sept trip. I'll be happy with 20but I'm trying for 36. :) Good luck everyone.

Gooftroop5
04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Stopping in to wish everyone good luck with their weight goals!!! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

I've been fustrated lately.:bang: Dh & I are steadily losing inches but its a stalemate on the scales.Its not going up but its not going down either. I know I should be happy with losing inches but want it to show up on the scale. I know I'm gaining muscle & dh says eventually we will get to a point where we level out on muscle building & the weight will start coming off.

I lost 19lbs from when I was at the dr's office last year (it was April 2007-to a couple weeks ago) which was great to hear but also depressing because I've lost 36lbs since October which means I gained 17lbs before I decided it was going on too fast & I needed to stop before I was one of those people on tv getting a hole cut in my house for someone to get me out (Ok I wasn't anywhere near that but still everyone of them that talked on tv about it said how easy it went on & before they knew it they weighed over 600lbs.)

I also realize its not going to come off fast & losing it at a slower rate it will stay off. I decided to back off obsessing about everything. I'm going to listen to my body. We were calorie counting but led to us eating when we weren't really hungry just to get our calories in. I was actually doing better when I was eating only when I was hungry & just eating differently (cutting out junk food, donuts eating more chicken, turkey & fish). I lost 27lbs in a month when dh & i use to use the hand portion method so I am just going back to that instead of counting calories & precisely measuring everything. Still going to eat lo-calorie & lo-fat foods in portions just not going to stress about it and maybe that will help since stress can cause weight gain. We have increased our amount of exercise & we devote an hour a day for 6 days just to exercise (4 mile walk, weight & a 2 mile walk-25 minute toning-30 minute 2 mile walk we use the walking dvd's & change which one we are doing but still do the mileage/time so we change our intensity & routines not to get stagnant)

Thanks everyone for letting me ramble.