PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mom's of boys - slim cut suits?

conorsmom2000
03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Okay, it is 6 days before Conor's First Holy Communion and we have yet to find him a suit! Conor is 52 inches tall but only 52 lbs - he wears a size 8 slim, mainly for length (going by the waist he could probably still wear a 7). We can not find any where that sells slim cut suits or separates for boys. We have tried JC Penney, Sears, Nordstorms, Macy's and Syms - at Macy's we found a blazer and pants we loved and at Syms we found a suit we loved - but, both places told us they could not alter the pants - they were just way too big on him. At Macy's we then tried size 7 pants with the size 8 blazer but the pants are too short. :fit: It's Conor's birthday today :party: and the poor kid spent the night being dragged around to different stores trying on more suits that didn't fit - with all of us ending up totally frustrated!

So, does anyone have any idea of where I might find slim cut dressy clothes for a boy? I've never been down this road before and I just have no idea of where to look - and not much time to find something! We thought this might be a little difficult, knowing how thin he is, but we never expected it to be this hard. :( Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

DizneyRox
03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Growing up slim, I remember many times I would have to have adult clother altered in order to get a length that would work. Sometimes the pants pockets in the back would almost be touching, or the shirt pockets would take up my entire chest!

Sorry, I can't offer any help now, except to check with a good tailor. There are still a few that do more than just shorten pants, you just need to look... I'm sure it won't be cheap either, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

thrillme
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I've got a "beanpole" for a child. LONG and TALL. Always has been. I was slender as a child too unfortunately I stopped growing up and started growing more round. Jeans aren't so bad because a lot of pants today come with adjustible waistbands (WARNING as soon as he fits a size 10/12...those slim sizes start disappearing even more).

I just recently had some "amazing" luck at Burlington Coat Factory but I don't know if you have one there. Another thought is to give the "internet" a try. "Land's End" is a little pricey but they have slim stuff (especially if you're trying to find something a little dressy)

Sometimes even stores like JC Penny's will have SLIM selections over their internet. I guess the general population of boys is regular or husky so they don't get a big supply of "slims" but the internet stores are loaded.

Carol
04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Both of my guys wear slims.

I always had the best luck with JC Penney catalog for their suits. I think trying on-line should work.

conorsmom2000
04-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Sometimes the pants pockets in the back would almost be touching
In Conor's case, it seemed like they were going to overlap - or have just one big pocket!! :D

I just recently had some "amazing" luck at Burlington Coat Factory but I don't know if you have one there.
You're the 3rd person to suggest Burlington - we do have one near us, though I've never been there - but, we are going to run there after school today to check it out! :fingers:

I always had the best luck with JC Penney catalog for their suits. I think trying on-line should work.

That's going to be our back up plan tonight - I checked and they do have slim cut, so we'll do a rush order tonight if we can't find anything. Mike was dead set against him wearing a dark suit and all they have is navy or black, but at this point, we don't have time to picky! :D

Thanks for the help!!

offwego
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
For the length..does your local drycleaner do tailoring? Just to put up the pants may not be as long or as much as you think. (and lets face it Connor won't be wearing this 4 times a week so the hem needs to be good not lifetime proof!)

Just an option as you found one you liked but the length was wrong.

Carol
04-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Mike was dead set against him wearing a dark suit and all they have is navy or black, but at this point, we don't have time to picky! :DWe didn't have a choice. Our boys had to wear a black suit with white tie & shirt for their First Communion.

Good luck, Jen.

DisneyDog
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't know about their sizes, because we've never had an event dressy enough to buy our DS anything there, but have you tried Strasburg Children? They specialize in children's dress clothes.

crazypoohbear
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Mike was dead set against him wearing a dark suit and all they have is navy or black, but at this point, we don't have time to picky! :D

Thanks for the help!!
I was going to suggest JC Penney on line as well. If Mike doesn't want a dark suit you could do what I did with my second son. Blue blazer, khaki pants, with a tie. It looks great in the pictures.
I did the dark suit with DS#1 (husky) and it cost more to have it tailored than the suit.
The will not wear the suit again, however you could use the Khaki pants again for nice dress up occasions.

Good Luck and tell Connor God Bless for us all.

conorsmom2000
04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone - just to update you, we did get him a suit at Burlington Coat Factory. They only had 5 slim cut suits and they were all awful, so we ended up with a Navy Blue suit that the tailor was willing to alter. He said the pockets will probably be right next to each other, but at this point, we don't care. And yes, the alterations are costing more than the suit, :blush: but, again, what could we do? At least it will be done on Saturday and it's all taken care of....

Well, except for a shirt....and a tie....and a belt.... :D

RedSoxFan
04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Jen: Glad you found a suit for Conor. Don't forget the shoes and socks. Nothing worse than white socks with a suit. Have a great day on Saturday and I hope you have nice weather. It is a special day. Are you allowed to take pictures during the ceremony? I wasn't allowed for any of my kids.

crazypoohbear
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Jen: Glad you found a suit for Conor. Don't forget the shoes and socks. Nothing worse than white socks with a suit. Have a great day on Saturday and I hope you have nice weather. It is a special day. Are you allowed to take pictures during the ceremony? I wasn't allowed for any of my kids.

We weren't allowed to take pictures either! the priest said it was because you don't take pictures during a religious ceremony, it takes away from the meaning. We did however, pay to have a professional photographer up at the alter taking a picture of each child as the received communion. It is a great picture and there was no fighting with other parents/godparents/family over a "good place" for picture taking.
I have to say that I have been at some church things were people were standing on the pews and balancing themselves on the back of the pew in front of them to get "a good picture"
Really did take away from the ceremony.

conorsmom2000
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Are you allowed to take pictures during the ceremony? I wasn't allowed for any of my kids.

Nope, no pictures. :( I do understand why, as crazypoohbear said, it is a religious ceremony and it's during a regular mass, but I am disappointed - the way they have them walking in is so cute, plus they'll be up on the altar twice (once when the priest receives the offering and again to do a song) so there some definite "kodak" moments I regret that we'll miss....I wish we had the option of the professional photographer there - I would have done that in a hearbeat!

One thing they did do, which I loved, is that one day in March we had to be at the church for a special event. A man was there who makes pottery and apparently he goes around to many churches and makes cups (chalices) for the communion children. He preaches a little, telling story as he's molding the clay, then each child is given a cup. We all had to draw and write on it with this little funny white pencil (Conor drew a cross, the sun, a rainbow, Molly, etc.) and Mike and each wrote something. Then we had to put his name and the date of his communion on the bottom. At the rehearsal tonight, we were given the cups back - they are all glazed and a pretty blue/gray color, with our drawings/writing showing up in dark blue. It is such a special momento. While the potter was speaking he told us a story about a girl who came back to him and told him of how she used her communion cup at her recent wedding - that immediately choked me up! :blush: So now our family cup is tucked away in the china cabinet, to someday be Conor's when he's out on his own! :cloud9:

conorsmom2000
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Don't forget the shoes and socks.
Oh and thank you! We have shoes, but no socks yet.....must....remember....socks!!! :D

RedSoxFan
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Jen: DD made the 1st Communion Cups too. Very nice idea and keepsake. After Kourtney's ceremoney, they had all the kids gather on the altar with the priest for a group picture.