PDA

View Full Version : Kicked out of class

pink
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey everybody! I have a big problem and I don't know how to go about fixing it so I figured that maybe you could help.

Right now I'm attending college and I'm in my first year. I completed my first semester and did well but I have this ungoing medical condition that acts up unpredictably. So this semester I've missed so many classes that two of my professors kicked me out of the both classes. I emailed one of my professors asking her if I could make up the work and I told her about my condition but all she told me "It's too late" and my other professor won't even return or answer my calls. It's school policy that if you miss four classes that the teacher has the option to drop you. I've accepted the fact that I can no longer be in those classes this semester the problem I have is how do I bring it up to my parents? I already dropped one class at the beginning of the semester because of schedule problems and now I only have one class left. They have never been caring of my medical problems and I'm afraid that they may do something drastic if I tell them what happened. (IE: Getting kicked out of the house) Any advice? Thank you. :mickey:

Ms.Disney
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, first of all I am sorry to hear you were having health problems. I find that telling the truth always works the best. Explain to them how bad your medical problems were affecting you. Tell them that they should take your health problem seriously. Be calm when you tell them and make you explain that you have tried to get back in the classes with no luck. Try your best not to turn it into a fight to avoid making the situation worse.

Good luck :mickey:

DizneyRox
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
You do realize that by not being a full time student you run the risk of being dropped by your medical insurance as well, correct? I'm assuming of course that you are under your parents insurance with this. So, you may have bigger problems than just having to tell your parents, especially with ongoing medical issues.

PirateLover
03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
First things first, for the future, you need to inform your professors and the school ahead of time about your condition so that they will be more understanding and maybe make some concessions. Your parents are going to be very upset, no doubt about it. There really is no good way to approach them about it, and in situations like this sometimes it's just best to rip it off like a band aid and let it all out. I would try to contact the school about your medical issues to see if something can be worked out though. Good luck.

crazypoohbear
04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
My first thought was about your health insurance as well.
If the reason you are missing so much school is because of health issues, I am assuming that your parents are aware of your health issues, so even if they aren't very supportive they will know that you do have a pre existing condition.
Lastly, see if you can go to one of your councilors at school and ask them for help in getting you back in class. This might not work but you should work with a counciler so you do have help in the future.
Best of luck to you

JPL
04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
A letter from a doctor given to the college should help you in the future letting the school you need special concessions. They can not discriminate against you if you have a medical condition and a doctor's letter explaining the condition.

Ian
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
A letter from a doctor given to the college should help you in the future letting the school you need special concessions. They can not discriminate against you if you have a medical condition and a doctor's letter explaining the condition.While that's true to an extent, it's not necessarily that simple.

Law requires schools to make "reasonable" accomodations for students with medical conditions or disabilities.

The question is, what's the medical condition and what is a reasonable accomodation? Not that I'm asking the OP to post that information, don't get me wrong. I'm merely making the point that just because you have a medical condition is not necessarily carte blanche to miss classes with no repercussions.

As far as telling your parents goes, I would say that any parent would understand if their child has a legitimate medical issue that prevented them from attending classes. If that's truly the situation, then just be honest with them. I'm sure they'll understand.

MsMin
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Not all medical conditions qualify for missing class. Some may make you want to stay home, in your dorm and in bed but it doesn't mean the doctors will excuse it.
For example: Depression is very common among college students leaving home etc. Getting up and going to class can actually help break the cycle of depression (of course therapy helps) but few doctors will just write you a note to stay home-- in fact that could just make things worse.
Allergies, most docs would write a script and say go to class. Gastro -- meds... anemia... vitamins etc etc....
Most campuses have clinics that help students adjust and help care for their medical needs.
The great thing about seeking help there is they are best at helping you get back on track.
See too if you can't schedule your next semester where you can work around your difficulties (e.g.) If it bothers you more in the a.m. then schedule evening classes.
Part of college is not what you learn but the fact that you were able to set and meet the goals and jump through the hoops. That is why they have their rules and stick to it. They are tough b/c they are shaping you for the real world.
:pixie: Feel free to PM me if you think there is anything I can help with. Take care of yourself. :hug:

Disney Doll
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Mis Min is right on. There's nothing you can do now except to be honest with your parents. Maybe you can lessen their disappointment by also telling them how you plan to do things differently next semester. I would recommend that you visit your campus wellness center to help you manage your medical condition. Also, be open and honest with your professors from day one, but don't use the medical condition as an excuse to miss class unless you absolutely have to. Contrary to what many students believe, not all coursework can be made up. You are missing valuable lectures, class activities, etc. Also, be prepared to provide the professors with documentation for any medical absences.

Tink2002
04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
At Maine we have a disability services department that works with students that have certain conditions and may need help getting to class, needing someone to take notes for them, and much more. If your school has some type of department like this you should definitely contact them and come up with a plan for some way that you can maybe find attending class a little easier next semester. Working with you campus clinic was also another great idea.

As far as telling your parents, you've just got to do it. Whether they will understand or not, they ARE going to find out eventually, especially if you run into trouble with your insurance and when a bill from the school comes. If you take steps to be more proactive in the future and let them know this, though, that may lessen the blow a little.

pink
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate it. I didn't even think about the health insurance thing. Next fall I'm planning on going to UMass Amherst online or going to a local college part-time that is literally around the block from my house. I think my mom has noticed that I missed many classes but hasn't spoken up yet. I'm going to break the news to them soon. Thanks again!:mickey:

disneydeb
04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I just wanted to give you a :hug:

pink
04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I just wanted to give you a

Thank you- that means a lot to me. :mickey:

mac badger
04-04-2008, 11:39 PM
hey, will you write back and let us know how everything went? i'll be thinking of you. hope all works out for you:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Hopefully your parents will be behind you and not punish you once they realize you weren't just goofing off and want to continue on.