PDA

View Full Version : Water marks on your ceiling? Try this!

Tinkermom
03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
We have a few water marks on our ceiling where our roof leaked. The worst part was that it was in our newly re-modeled bathroom! A friend told me to try the following:

Place a mixture of 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water in a spray bottle. Spray the stain. Wait 2 days and spray again.

Guess what? It worked! In fact after the first treatment a couple of the spots were completely gone! Now we do not have to paint!:woohoo: Just thought I would pass this along as I had never heard of this.:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Lisa, thanks for the tip!

We have one strange water spot on our bedroom ceiling. I'm not aware of our roof leaking, but that's sure what it looks like.

I'll try what you said!! :thumbsup:

princessjojo
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Thank you so much! Just this evening I was looking up at where our ceiling had leaked after a storm but the spot was in such a spot that it was difficult to get to and you really didn't see it unless you knew it was there, but I knew it was there. I am so glad to hear your solution.

Thanks again! You saved my DH a big headache.

jeddalynn
03-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh man! I wish I had known this at my last apartment. I'm writing it down. Thanks a million. :thumbsup:

princessgirls
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
At the local paint store Ziegler's makes a water stain celing paint. You can buy it in a small can, not a whole gallon.

It works really, really good as well.

Julie:mickey:

Ed
04-01-2008, 06:58 AM
"Kilz" also makes spot killer in a spray can that's designed to spray ceilings (you keep the can vertical while spraying) that also works very well.

Those of you who are going to try the bleach method, a few cautions:

A 50% bleach/water solution is still very strong stuff! Since you'll be directing the spray over your heads, be sure to wear eye protection and at least a dust mask to keep overspray out of your eyes, nose and mouth.

Wear old clothes, and be sure to cover any furniture/rugs/appliances/animals/small children ;) that might get hit with the overspray.

If any overspray gets on hard-surface floors, clean it up immediately; bleach makes water very slippery.

And be sure to properly dispose of or store any leftover mixture safely out of the reach of kids and mark the spray bottle clearly with its contents.

kakn7294
04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey thanks! I'll have to try this - we have a spot in our kitchen where our shower overhead has had condensation on the pipes that cause occasional water marks.