PDA

View Full Version : 1st Disneyland trip

bbraen71
03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Hello,
I am going to Disneyland for the first time in August. I was just wondering what everyone's best tip, secret or "stop & smell the roses" moment or spot for Disneyland was.

Thank You,
Ben

*tinker_belle*
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I think i remember reading your post on the MC boards! Even though I'm an AP holder, and have been to DLR too many times to count, there are still things I've missed that I love to do or just go slowly and sit down, take some time to breathe in that Disney air. I love spending time on Main Street especially. The ragtime music really makes me feel happy and warm. I feel like this is where it all starts, the beginning of an amazing adventure. Take some time to check out the Main Street windows that credit the folks who worked on the park, or grab an ice cream and people watch. Its an incredible atmosphere like no other. Don't forget to check out Walts light above the fire house!

WiLdOrCa
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Stop and smell the roses... hmmm.... Since we are in our mid 40's now, and our kids are teens, we have found we enjoy taking time to enjoy the "entertainment" now all over the park. Our boys have sort of outgrown the Fantasmic show, but they will watch if they don't have to wait for the show, so what we do is literally wait 2 hours or more in a good spot for great seats!!! We will grab a meal to go, some munchies, drinks, and just people watch, chat, take pics... etc. It's a great way to slow down and relax and enjoy the ambiance that Disneyland has to offer. The people watching in the area of the Rivers of America is amazing! We usually have a book with us to read, and we find we NEVER read them! The time passes so quickly by just slowing down, watching people and enjoying my each other's company. And, it's by far quiet, so you can almost have a conversation without someone really hearing it. You just need to be careful where you plop down before they put ropes up, as often we've had to move, until we figured out where the ropes go!

Another good way to enjoy Disneyland is in rain. We are Washingtonians, and rain doesn't keep us from being out in it for anything, so when it rains, it appears everyone ducks for cover at the park!

Also, take the time to walk through all the shops in all the lands. I've found so many unique items and collectables as well as "sales items" that way as well. We plan 3-5 day park hopping, and plan out when we will just laze around and do shows, when we will shop and when we go peddle to the metal and do the rides. It takes alot of planning sometimes. Now,that it's mostly just my husband and I, he doesn't do "coasters" so I actually can do the "single rider" lines and it goes fairly fast and my husband doesn't have to wait long for me. We also like to seek out good spots for firework showings on the nights we won't be watching, so we can gain this spot when we do because we are photography nuts.... :photo:

So, just enjoy the park, and scope it and relax. Many people ask us WHY we go for vacation, and how can being around a crowded place be "relaxing"... I just say, well, "it's the "Happiest Place on Earth" silly!!!

~WiLdOrCa!~
:mickey::balloon::stitch::goofy::tigger:

Belle619
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
I definitely like to take time to notice the little things in all of the parks. In Disneyland, I recommend taking a moment to notice the light that is left on in honor of Walt above the Fire House on Main Street, USA. It gave me goosebumps the first time I went there, knowing that is where it all started! :mickey:

I also like to look for the "W" and "R" in the railing of what is now the DL Dream Suite in New Orleans Square. And, don't forget to look for Club 33 while in that area! :look:

In Fantasyland, I like to really take in all of the exterior of IASW with the beautiful topiaries. It is so much more elaborate than the exterior of the WDW version. :mow:

Lastly, I'd say to take a ride on the DL Railroad and the Mark Twain Riverboat, they are a nice relaxing way to soak up the Disney magic while seeing the sights of DL. :vacation:

BrerGnat
04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
In Fantasyland, I like to really take in all of the exterior of IASW with the beautiful topiaries. It is so much more elaborate than the exterior of the WDW version. :mow:

I agree, but unfortunately, you can't see any of this right now (or come August). There are big walls up as they do work on IASW.

I agree also that the Riverboat (the big white paddlewheeler) is a surprisingly enjoyable thing to ride at DL. I rode it for the second time recently with my young son and I realized that it really is a nice relaxing thing to do, and you get to see a lot.

Ride the train. The steam trains at DL are way cool...I think they are better than the ones at WDW. They are all different and have unique "personalities". One has passenger cars that look like cattle cars! Really cool, and the DL railroad has an indoor section with dioramas of the Grand Canyon and Primeval (complete with Dinosaurs) World. Definitely ride once around the whole way. When you're stopped at the New Orleans Square station, be sure to listen for the tap-tap-tap of the morse code machine. It is "broadcasting" Walt's speech from opening day in 1955 via morse code! Very cool. Also, look for the doghouse with the name "Indiana" on it (a nod to Indiana Jones, whose DOG was named Indiana). :D

Visit the firehouse on Main Street. Know that Walt Disney himself used to slide down that firepole from his apartment upstairs. :mickey: And while you're there, be sure to say a silent "thank you" to Walt, as you look at the light in the window.

Walk the path between Frontierland and Fantasyland. It's a nice, scenic and quiet trip, and you may come upon the petting farm that takes up residence from time to time at Big Thunder Ranch (but don't be surprised if it's closed...sometimes the animals are not there).

If you need a quiet and shady place to cool off/relax, head towards the first aid station, right off Main Street (around the corner from the Plaza Inn). Right outside, you will find a nice courtyard with several benches in the shade, and some beautiful flower gardens. It's very peaceful, AND you might see some characters as they head out into the park or come back (this is one of the main areas where they come from).

There is a nice little winding path that leads from Fantasyland into Tomorrowland. When you're inside Fantasyland, facing the castle, to the left is a little doorway with a path. Follow it. You will find Snow White's wishing well, as well as statues of her and the dwarfs. You will also come upon a King Triton fountain in the water and a large seashell, which Ariel is sometimes sitting in, signing autographs. It's a cool path.

Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. It looks like it's for kids, and it is, but it's a neat ride and you will most definitely enjoy the scenery (it's a better and MUCH faster way to take in these neat little houses than riding the Storybookland Canal boats).

Make sure you visit Toontown. It's much different than WDW's version, and much better.

Spend some time in New Orleans Square. The winding streets lined with shops are elaborately and beautifully themed. You will most likely come upon some lively jazz bands playing in the streets, and you may get some beads if you're lucky. :thumbsup:

And finally, but not least, be sure to check out Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, playing at the Golden Horseshoe saloon in Frontierland. It's a great show...very entertaining, and the food inside (CS) is great!