PDA

View Full Version : Park capacity

katzctkpt
03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
During the Christmas holiday season I've read that the parks close when they've reached capacity. My question is if you have dinner ressies for that evening will you be able to get in for the reservation?

Marilyn Michetti
03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I think "closed" is closed. You can get in early for breakfast reservations, but nobody gets past if the park in closed because of capacity.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but we had this thread once, and I believe that was the answer.:mickey:

KAT1811
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
It is my understanding that as long as you are staying at a Disney resort you are guaranteed admittance. They only close the parks to the general public (again my understanding). From the looks of it you are staying at the POR and should be in the clear.

Tygger7
03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, you will be permitted into the park as long as you have your dining confirmation number, and they usually won't let you in until 30 minutes prior to your reservation time. This happened to my DD15 during Easter last year. The MK was closed due to capacity and they had a 5:30pm ADR at Crystal Palace. They provided their confirmation number and were allowed into MK at 5:00pm.

moe513
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
good question,I would think they would let you in because the resturants would lose business.

TheRustyScupper
03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
For the record: there are four phases of closing for each park.

Phase 1:
. . . The toll booths are closed to everything except Disney buses and CMs on duty.

Phase 2:
. . . All ticket sales stops.
. . . Unless you already have a ticket in hand you are not allowed in.

Phase 3:
. . . Only Resort Guests and Annual Passholders are allowed in.
. . . If staying at a Disney Resort without tickets on the room key you may be asked for ID
. . . If the tickets are encoded on your key or you have an AP, biometrics must match.

Phase 4:
. . . The parks are closed to everyone.
. . . This includes people with ADR's.
. . . This includes people who were there earlier in the day.
. . . This includes people staying on-site.

NOTE1:
If you show up at a park and you would normally not be allowed in due to a phased closing, and you have dining reservations in that park, it does NOT make any difference, they still will not let you in.

NOTE2: If staying on-site, guarantees you "a" park. Not necessarily the one that you want.

NOTE3: MK can fill to Phase-4 about 3-4 times per year an on major holidays like Christmas, New Years Eve or Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving. Other parks seldom reach Phase-4.

katzctkpt
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info rusty I'd hate to have ressies for crt & then not get in and be charged. I'll keep that in mind when we start making our adr's for Dec/Jan.

Jasper
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
As others have touched lightly upon in their answers, it is not just Christmas when Disney Parks hit "capacity." Because "capacity" happens at what may seem like odd times it is always good to check in here at Intercot before going to see what the historical trends for attendance are during the time you are going. We got caught not knowing just once and after dealing with the disappointment from our kids we will never let that happen to us again!

irish1967
03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Rusty - 2 :confused: for you...

1) Should the MK reach stage 4, are resort guests apprised of the situation before they get to the turnstiles? For example, is there an announcement on the monorails, boats, and busses? or are do people go through the effort of making their way to the MK and then get turned away?

2) If I have a reservation to stay at a MK resort (or any other resort for that matter) and stage 1 has been reached before I arrive, will I be turned away at the appropriate gate? I have family in Orlando and on a crowded day, we might decide to go visiting...could we be subjecting ourselves to not being able to get back to our resort?

Thanks!

AdventurelandTikiGirl
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Interesting info. I've never been there during any of the phases of closing. How crowded is a phase 4? What are typical wait times? I don't think I'd want to be there if it was so crowded they have to close the park!

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2008, 10:41 AM
1) Should the MK reach stage 4, are resort guests apprised of the situation before they get to the turnstiles?
. . . no, not at the resort
. . . you should be told before you board a bus
. . . this is because the bus will be diverted to another park
. . . however, on busy days check with the Front Desk or Concierge
. . . phases are flashed on all resort computer screens

2) If I have a reservation to stay at a MK resort (or any other resort for that matter) and stage 1 has been reached before I arrive, will I be turned away at the appropriate gate?
. . . if driving, yes, as the parking lot is closed to you
. . . if taking a WDW bus from your resort, no problem.

Tygger7
04-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Okay, now I'm confused about the "staging" system. Is this "new"? Reason I ask, is due to the scenario that happened last Easter with my DD & the group she was with.

1. They were not staying at a Disney resort.
2. They arrived at 1pm and were allowed to drive into the TTC/MK and park.
3. They were allowed to buy tickets to MK
4. Then, they were stopped at the ticket/biometric reader.

At that point, they said they had ADR's at Crystal Palace for 5pm. The CM told them the would be allowed in 30 minutes prior to their ADR, and to come back at 4:30pm with their confirmation number. The went to Downtown Disney to kill time, came back at 4:30pm, showed the CM their confirmation number, and were allowed in.

Based on the "levels" you described, they shouldn't have been allowed to park or buy tickets....any explanation? I don't go at peak times, however I have family that do and I'd like to let them know the scoop. Just seems odd to me that Disney would be willing to incur the "wrath" of guests that have ADR's (especially if they are at CRT and will be charged for a "no-show") and not allow them into the park.

irish1967
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
1) [B]2) If I have a reservation to stay at a MK resort (or any other resort for that matter) and stage 1 has been reached before I arrive, will I be turned away at the appropriate gate?
. . . if driving, yes, as the parking lot is closed to you
. . . if taking a WDW bus from your resort, no problem.

Sorry - I don't think I was clear...

If I am staying at a MK resort (Contemporary, Poly or Grand Fl.) don't I have to go through the MK toll booth to get to the resort loop- once you get through the booth, instead of going straight to the TTC lot and you exit (to the right, I think?) and go on the road that leads to the resort loop.

So, the scenario would possibly be that we are staying at the Grand Floridian over Christmas. We leave WDW property to go visit our relatives for Christmas Dinner in the morning. Upon returning in the afternoon, if stage one or over has been reached, we would be turned away at the MK gate and not be able to get back to the Grand Floridian and the room that we have paid for?

Surely this isn't the case, is it? Particularly with ID and a room key? Or a confirmed reservation in hand if the person is actually checking in that day?

Just trying to figure out how a particular scenario would work since our preferred resorts are the MK monorail resorts!

Thanks for your time, Rusty!

Narawen
04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry - I don't think I was clear...

If I am staying at a MK resort (Contemporary, Poly or Grand Fl.) don't I have to go through the MK toll booth to get to the resort loop- once you get through the booth, instead of going straight to the TTC lot and you exit (to the right, I think?) and go on the road that leads to the resort loop.

So, the scenario would possibly be that we are staying at the Grand Floridian over Christmas. We leave WDW property to go visit our relatives for Christmas Dinner in the morning. Upon returning in the afternoon, if stage one or over has been reached, we would be turned away at the MK gate and not be able to get back to the Grand Floridian and the room that we have paid for?

Surely this isn't the case, is it? Particularly with ID and a room key? Or a confirmed reservation in hand if the person is actually checking in that day?

Just trying to figure out how a particular scenario would work since our preferred resorts are the MK monorail resorts!

Thanks for your time, Rusty!

If you're not going to the parks I don't think it'll matter, capacity is only for the parks themselves, not all of WDW. I thought there was some way to get to the hotels without going through the MK gate, but maybe I'm wrong.

KylesMom
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought there was some way to get to the hotels without going through the MK gate, but maybe I'm wrong.
Nope, WL, CR, Poly & GF typically go through the MK "TTC" parking gates to reach the resort. There may be some obscure back door way, but we've never located it!

MickeysGirl reported when they went a few years ago at Xmas they were able to get to WL guard gate - but that's where they ran into problems. Guests NOT staying at the hotel resorts were trying to park in resort parking lots to get on a boat/monorail to MK anyway. They were all turned away, making it a mess for their family to get into WL.

Edit: Thanks Ron for the Vista Boulevard tip - I remember now exactly where you're talking about!

WDWdriver
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
If you are going to one of the MK resorts via World Drive you must pass through the MK toll plaza. If you have a resort ID or reservation they will wave you through to the access road on the right. The parking lot entrance straight ahead will be blocked off.

You can also get to the MK resorts without going through the toll plaza if you enter from the east via Vista Blvd past Fort Wilderness.

TheRustyScupper
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
. . . Sorry - I don't think I was clear . . .

1) Oops.
2) I misinterpreted your question.
3) Must be one of those bald-men things.
4) I think WDWdriver recognized your question and answered.

NOTE: Somtimes sunlight comes into the window and the glare from the head reflects off the ceiling, onto the wall and back onto the computer screen. This can easily make it difficult to read and understand.

irish1967
04-03-2008, 09:31 AM
WDWDriver and Rusty thanks for the responses!

Have a great day!