PDA

View Full Version : Grinding your Teeth?

JanetMegan
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Does anyone else here have a problem with grinding their teeth? This is something that has popped up for me in the last few months (possibly since I started my own business ha ha.) Previously in my life a couple times I had a short-lived problem with this (only for a couple weeks or so) but this time (since the first of the year) it's been pretty bad. Waking up with sore jaws etc. I know my options are pretty much something over the counter-like $20 that you form yourself in your mouth or buying some expensive appliance from the dentist. Any thoughts?

Ed
03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Sounds like stress to me. Dr. Tigg recommends two weeks at WDW. :cool:

Have you considered this (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129965) to alleviate some of the stress?

:D

MNNHFLTX
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't grind my teeth, but I do clench my jaw and grit my teeth at night, especially when I'm stressed. I had an appliance made at the dentist's office years ago to wear at night, but gave up on it because I would wake up every morning to find that I had taken it out at some point during the night and placed it in its case on the nighstand. I never had any memory of doing this however.

I've worked really hard at trying to keep my jaw and neck muscles relaxed, especially right before I go to bed. Stretching exercises, like head rolls and moving my lower jaw around has helped. And I never chew gum anymore, as it tended to make me clench my jaw tighter afterwards. Also I found using a flatter pillow helped keep my airway more open and my jaw more relaxed.

MsMin
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Yes, do take care of yourself. Bruxis (tooth grinding) does commonly occur at night and is associated with stress, anxiety and or depression.
I agree w/ TiggTigg5 do something to take care of yourself and try and OTC type of mouth piece to help prevent damage to your teeth.
A trip is a common misnomer to cure all ills if it brings on more bills, worry or stress away from your new business etc. Many couples who are having marital problems also believe that a trip will help and in fact it can add stress to relationship.
In your case it could be a problem of worrying about things that need to be done e.g. order this ... tell someone that... etc. A helpful cure for that is to write these things down before you go to sleep so that you can help keep these things from going over and over in your mind.
Then when you go to sleep think about pleasant things.... like WDW! Take care :pixie:

JanetMegan
03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like stress to me. Dr. Tigg recommends two weeks at WDW. :cool:

:D

Do you know I haven't even seen WDW in almost 4 years??

Sad.

Ed
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Do you know I haven't even seen WDW in almost 4 years??

Sad.

See?? What'd I tell you? There's the problem!

Score another for Dr. Tigg. :doctor:

;)

Dragongirlx
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
My sister had this problem and ground her teeth so much she dislocated her jaw!

She had to get fitted for a bite to stop this from happening. This was free because she was a student at the time and we have the national health service here.

The doctor also sent her for stress counselling as well and it seemed to help

JanetMegan
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Although I have a good bit of stress with the work thing, I really don't consider myself "stressed" not like some people I'm sure.

The only other times this happened to me both times it was around the time I had something done in my mouth area (first time being wisdom teeth for about 3 weeks after I had them out and second time for about a month after I had my tonsils out.) So I did make sure at my last dental appt last week that I had everything checked out 100% and he did notice the unusual wear and tear on the teeth, but with no dental ins and a $381 bill last week I wasn't about to jump on buying a special appliance for it ;)

PlutoToo
03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
My dentist thought I might be grinding my teeth at night and told me instead of buying an expensive appliance, go to the sporting goods dept and get an athletic mouth guard they use for sports. It was cheap(like a dollar) and forms to your teeth like the more expensive ones. Best of all, when they get yucky, I toss it and make a new one.

princessjojo
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
My dentist thought I might be grinding my teeth at night and told me instead of buying an expensive appliance, go to the sporting goods dept and get an athletic mouth guard they use for sports. It was cheap(like a dollar) and forms to your teeth like the more expensive ones. Best of all, when they get yucky, I toss it and make a new one.
Same thing here. I grind my teeth so much at night that I have worn off all of the ridges on my front teeth and cracked 2 molars. If I am really stressed, especially if I have an exam coming up, I get really bad, to the point that I've woken my DH up at night grinding. Between my grinding and his snoring, it's a wonder we even sleep.

I do wear a mouth guard at night, but if I find myself having crazy dreams at night, I tend to take it out without knowing and find it under my pillow. But at least I start out with it in and it has helped some I'm sure. If nothing else, it will save you thousands in dental cost later.

TikiGoddess
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
This is funny -- I just bought a mouth guard last week because I grind my teeth at night. I've been doing it for years, but lately it has made one of my molars really hurt. I had my dentist check out my teeth and he said he could find no other reason for my tooth hurting. He recommended I try one of the tooth guards you buy at the pharmacy.

So I went to Walgreens and found one on clearance for $15. It's a plastic tray with softer plastic on the top part. You boil the tray in water (after cutting the back to fit your mouth) and then put it in your mouth so it forms to your teeth.

The first night I tried it I couldn't use it... it went too far back in my mouth and was uncomfortable. So I cut a half inch off of each side and now it works fine. It's a little bulky, but for $15 I'll take it. My tooth hasn't bothered me at all, and my hubby is happy that he doesn't have to listen to me grind my teeth all night.

I would give it a try and see if it helps. It will take some getting used to, but your teeth will thank you!

TikIG

Mousefever
03-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Another cause of teeth grinding/clenching is occlusion or a bad bite, which I have.
Amy

:dory:

Dakota Rose
03-31-2008, 10:46 PM
As an expert teeth-grinder and jaw-clencher, and as a "retired" massage therapist, here's my :twocents:

Since this a new habit of yours, I would try the drugstore kit first. I would also suggest getting a head/neck/shoulder massage and ask the therapist to focus on your jaw and neck muscles. You can also combat the pain by "flushing" the area with alternating a hot compress and then ice. 20 minutes each.

If it continues and you start having tooth pain, swelling, etc then I'd say it's time to see the dentist. Many medical insurance companies will cover the cost of the splint. You just need to ask your dentist to specify the splint is for TMJ dysfunction.

Good luck! I hope you feel better!

prprincess
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I grind my teeth AND clench my jaws in my sleep when I'm going through extreme periods of stress. It would be so bad that I'd wake up and my face would hurt. My dentist suggested a mouthguard to sleep in at night, but at the time I first needed help, I had no dental insurance and it was expensive. But I found a boilable/moldable mouthguard on eBay for almost next to nothing, and it did the trick. So definitely take care of that!!