PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody go without kids?

disneylovinmom
03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I would like to have a Disney trip for just my husband and myself. Is that wrong of me? Do many couples go without their kids? I would like to try some of the restaurants that my daughter would not enjoy. She is 13 and does not act like she has a very good time at Disney anymore and we usually plan around what she wants to do. Am I being selfish?

BronxTigger
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I go without kids. However, I don't have any of my own (and NO, I'm NOT taking the 18 from work! Don't even suggest it!)

When I was younger my parents did take their own trips on occasion (not often...I think about once every 5 years). We got to go to Grandma's house and we understood that they got to have some time alone. They never went to Disney on one of those trips, but we understood that they were going somewhere cool (Hawaii, Alaska) without us.

Go...take a couples only trip...and enjoy it without feeling guilty.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I never thought I would agree with going without kids but, you are not being selfish!!

I went in December for three days with two friends. DH's and kids all stayed home. We had such a great time!! It was a birthday gift for me from my DH. It was really a different experience. We even went to MVMCP.

Now, we are planning a trip in early summer for my husband and I to go for a few days. Without kids.

Believe it or not, my kids were okay with it. They are 10,8 and 4. I just had to promise I would bring them home some goodies and promise they would be going again soon..lol.

I say go for it and have an amazing time!!:mickey:

KineGirl
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Go GO GO!

My hubby and I were going to take a quick 4 day getaway last winter and it just so happened that my DD17 most faaaaaaaavorite band :rocker: in the whole wide world - who also is from Japan and never comes here ( I looked it up to be sure .. it was true :( ) - was playing at HOB during our stay

"Fine" :spend:

Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the fact that DD is almost grown and still loves WDW but after 20 some odd trips with her Id like to go just hubby & me for our own version of EMH :thedolls: She graduates next year and Ive already told her that the second we drop her off at college we are going to WDW!!! :woohoo: oops I mean :sadwave:

hehe ( :woohoo: )

MMouse6937
03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
We don't have any kids so DH and I go every year alone ;)

BUT, I don't think you're being selfish at all. You need some alone time and your DD is at an age where she would probably like to be away from you guys for awhile too.

We are going this year with my best friend and her three girls. It will be interesting to see the difference with kids. I am looking forward to doing some things with them that DH and I don't do when we're by ourselves (BBB for one), but I will cherish our alone time.

Go, have fun, relax, enjoy the World alone!! :cloud9:

crazypoohbear
03-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I want to go without kids but they keep following me :mickey:
I think it is good for you to go without kids if you can. Sometimes you just need a break!
I keep telling my kids that I'm going without them but then I surprise them by bringing them. When I REALLY go without them I Think they will be shocked :secret:

pianobabe
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
It is not selfish to take a Grown-up trip to WDW. The past couple of years, my husband and I have gone for our anniversary and have loved it:cloud9:. My DS was a little upset at first, but then I had to promise if he went on any trips to WDW (with school, church, etc.) I wouldn't go. He was fine after that.

Dragongirlx
03-31-2008, 03:50 AM
I go with my sister every year and we are both 31.

My niece who is 4 is starting to ask when she can come but even when she is old enough and her parents let her come I will still want to take trips without Kids.

I am even contemplating going without my sister one year

SBETigg
03-31-2008, 06:27 AM
I would like to have a Disney trip for just my husband and myself. Is that wrong of me? Do many couples go without their kids? I would like to try some of the restaurants that my daughter would not enjoy. She is 13 and does not act like she has a very good time at Disney anymore and we usually plan around what she wants to do. Am I being selfish?

Considering it's a top honeymoon destination in the US, I would say that a lot of people probably go without kids. We honeymooned there and it was amazing. We're eager to go back one day without kids, but ours love it too much and it may be tough to accomplish. They're growing fast. We'll probably be taking them along as adults.

If you've already brought your DD and she doesn't love it, I would definitely say to try it out without her. You'll find so much to love. It's not selfish. Adults needs time away together, too. It's like taking a romantic vacation away anywhere else, why not?

IloveDisney71
03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
I have gone with my DH once without our children. They were 15 & 16 so we felt comfortable leaving them at home. My mom actually stayed with them so I didn't have to worry about them at all. (Teenagers need watching over too. :))
Anyway, my DH and I spent 4 wonderful days visiting all of the parks. While I have been many times this was only his 2nd time! He had been once when he was 10. He had a great time. We were able to do what we wanted to do without any complaining and enjoyed some wonderful dinner dates together.
My kids have been to Disney many times so I didn't feel guilty leaving them at home.

Jeniflower
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Alas I have no children of my own but I would still recommend that you go without your kids. there is so much stuff for adults to do and you can have even more fun as you can put yourself first. go on you deserve it:mickey:

LauraF
03-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Don't feel guilty about it.

I don't have kids, so I've gone without a couple of times, and my parents are AP holders and go at least twice a year by themselves. The understanding is that if us adult kids want to go we have jobs and can save the money to do so on our own now. (Though I did get airline tickets to WDW for Christmas last year - that was nice.)

If your DD doesn't seem to want to go, then don't take her. If she really did want to go and was being a pouty kid, then she won't make that mistake next time!

senderella
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Do it! I make at least one trip a year without the 2 DS. It is great! You can do what you want, when you want. You don't have to stand in autograph lines (if you don't want to), you can get a great seat for the parades an hour early and not listen to whining about waiting, you can do "grown up" stuff like Pleasure Island, you can stay at MK from 8-1 a.m without having to go back and take naps, you can eat in the resturant you want (With or without kids, I still pick Crystal Palace)....not to mention it is just fun!
I love going with my kids, but going without is a whole different experience. If you have the opportunity I would take it.
I just went in Feb with girlfriends...we even went to the P&P dressed up. Since we didn't have our kids....we got to act like kids.

Do it, Do it, Do it and make magical memories!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
My DH and I don't have any children yet and we go every year. There are a lot of great things to do without children.

I don't think it's selfish at all. Growing up my parents took a yearly vacation without my sister and I. I think it's a great idea.

pogo
04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
We go with out any kids in tow, but we are older and our kids are all grown. :thumbsup:

We keep threatening to take the Grandkids, :secret: but so far, we've dodged that bullet.

We enjoy being at WDW and enjoying each other ! :cloud9:

Go for it ! :D

GrumpyFan
04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
:ditto: what Senderella said!

Our very first trip was without kids, and now every other trip is. We have 4, ages 11, 12, 17 and 19. At first they complained, but we informed them that our marriage came first, and they're accepting of it now.

It is such a different experience when we go without them. We take our time and relax instead of running everywhere and trying to do everything. We eat at places we might not have and do the attractions we might not if we were with them. I would advise every couple to do this, it can be a real boost to your relationship.

If you look closely you'll see lots of older couples there as well with no kids.

It's funny though, when we tell people we're going without the kids, we get some evil/weird looks. More than once we've had people ask "Why would you do that, Disney World is for kids", or "That's just mean". We just laugh it off and think, "too bad for them, they don't get it".

JustCallMeSquishy
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
This will be the first time taking DD to WDW. I did take her last summer, to Disneyland for a day and she was a riot!

We had so much fun our last trip to WDW though! I know DH wants to go again, just us, sometime in the future and we will! SO GO!!!!

Jasper
04-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Add me to the list of those who think there is absolutely nothing wrong about going to WDW without the kids. We did this several years ago and had a great time.

GrmGrninGost
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
No way are you being selfish! DW and I went a couple years back for our anniversary. We left DKs with grandparents and had a great time! Every now and then, we adults need a little time away. I see no reason we can't have some fun when we do! :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
DH and I are Sr. citizens, and we go every Dec. "all by ourselves". We are looking forward to our next trip in 250 days.

Disney wasn't around when we were young. We took our first trip when the kids were 10 & 12, and again three years after that. It was a great age to take them, but now they're grown. Soooooooo, we go off alone with signs pinned to our shirts that read, "These are my parents - if they get lost, scared, or are behaving badly, call me at ***-***-****" It's signed DD.

Go for it. Where better to relive your childhood?:party:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't have kids so maybe I'm not the best to say..... But I say go for it. You need time for yourselves and if Disney is where you want to spend that grownup time, so be it.
My friend who lives in Orlando told me once that I'd have to come back without my nephews so that I could spend more time relaxing and I said that they actually slowed me down, I could have seen & done more without them! But they are bigger now and can keep up. Even the 4 (almost 5) year old.

Mickey91
04-06-2008, 12:50 AM
We did!!:mickey: It was nice to go with just DH and do all the things we wanted without being pulled in 10 other directions! The DKs weren't thrilled that we went without them, and I felt a little guilty but it was worth it to see WDW without a lot of responsibility. It was a very enjoyable, relaxing trip, even with trying to navigate all the parks in a very limited time. You gotta give it a try!:mickey:

conorsmom2000
04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
I would love to do that, at least once! :thumbsup: Mike and I went together in 1995 (pre-Wedding and pre-Conor) - it was my 2nd trip and his first. We had a great time, though we were total newbies and made a few mistakes along the way. Now that we've been with Conor a few times, I would love to do an adults only trip. Our trips with Conor are magical and I love them, but going at least once without him would also be such a great experience, albeit a different one. When we got as a family, things kind of revolve around his likes and wants and it would be nice to go and do things based on what we want to do! I say go and have a great time!! :mickey:

pdrlkr
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
We would love to go someday without the kids! :thumbsup: :mickey:

pink
04-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Don't feel selfish- you deserve a vacation without the kids every once and awhile.

I'm going on my first trip without my parents this year and it is the opposite... they're the ones whining that they can't come with my and my DBF! I think you should go- it will be a completely different experience. Also, like others have said you can try new things that you might not be able to accomplish with children in tow. :mickey: