PDA

View Full Version : Carousel Of Progress?

SandmanGStefani24
03-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok, we all know the official story of COP being on "seasonal" operation, but what's up with it these days? I will be going on a trip unexpectedly in a few weeks, and want to know if I'll be able to catch it. I know its time is limited and want to see it while I still can. :(

Anyone check it out lately? I've been away for a while! (but I'm back now!)

Mickey91
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
We had heard years back that it was leaving. Since then, it has actually gone from seasonal operation to a daily operation but on a 9 AM to 5 PM schedule. I hope it will be there for many more generations to enjoy!:mickey:

jeddalynn
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Huh! DH and I loved the COP because we felt it was a slice right out of Walt's mind. We wouldn't miss it for the world and would be heart-broken to think of it being taken away! Is there a plan to dispense with COP?!?!

GrmGrninGost
03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
We've been hearing the rumors for years, but it's still there! I hope it stays for a long, long time! Unless things have changed recently, it no longer operates seasonally. It's open every day from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM I believe. :mickey:

McGoofy
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I can't imagine this attraction going away!

It was still up and running when I was there in February.:thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
man that's good news guys! i love this attraction and hope it's always there for us! the last time i rode it, they had said it was going to be scaled back, and eventually closed. great to hear it's still going!

Carol
03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
Ok, we all know the official story of COP being on "seasonal" operation, but what's up with it these days?Carousel of Progress has not been seasonal for a very long time. It's been running daily for several years now.

JerseyDad
03-31-2008, 08:59 AM
.....perhaps....maybe....just maybe....the fact that the Carousel of Progress has a little bit more "history" to it than some of the other attractions that have gone to the great beyond.....that it will survive the urge of some Disney imagineer to scrape it off the WDW landscape.

I first saw the Carousel in the 1964/1965 World's Fair in NYC. I was 5-yrs old at the time...but can still vividly remember the whole World's Fair experience...and in particular...the Carousel. I think, given all the vision that Walt Disney had about the future....and the progress that "man" had made, and was destined to make....that this attraction may be one of the most important icons in the in the Disney legacy. I do hope that the "powers that be" at Disney's corporate level...will also see that.

McGoofy
03-31-2008, 10:23 AM
.....perhaps....maybe....just maybe....the fact that the Carousel of Progress has a little bit more "history" to it than some of the other attractions that have gone to the great beyond.....that it will survive the urge of some Disney imagineer to scrape it off the WDW landscape.

I first saw the Carousel in the 1964/1965 World's Fair in NYC. I was 5-yrs old at the time...but can still vividly remember the whole World's Fair experience...and in particular...the Carousel. I think, given all the vision that Walt Disney had about the future....and the progress that "man" had made, and was destined to make....that this attraction may be one of the most important icons in the in the Disney legacy. I do hope that the "powers that be" at Disney's corporate level...will also see that.

That's what I was thinking last night when I posted...it's too much of a historical landmark for Disney World. Who would want to go tearing down a historical landmark??!!

moe513
03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
We love CP,especially on a hot afternoon. Its a nice place to get off your feet.

joeyGibson
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Huh! DH and I loved the COP because we felt it was a slice right out of Walt's mind. We wouldn't miss it for the world and would be heart-broken to think of it being taken away! Is there a plan to dispense with COP?!?!

I was very happy to hear, a while back, that ever since 2006 CoP had been on a daily schedule. CoP is one of our favorite rides, and for me, it's just like what you said: it feels like a real connection to Walt.

What I've wished for a long time is that instead of swapping out the final scene, they had done it a bit different. Think about this: there are six stages in the building. The first and last are nothing but curtains with the CoP logo. What I would rather they had done was to use a single stage for both entrance and exit, left the four stages as they were, and then used the final stage for the future scene. That would give you five stages. That way all four original stages would have stayed as Walt created them, but the final scene could be updated as needed. That would have been nice.

McGoofy
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I was very happy to hear, a while back, that ever since 2006 CoP had been on a daily schedule. CoP is one of our favorite rides, and for me, it's just like what you said: it feels like a real connection to Walt.

What I've wished for a long time is that instead of swapping out the final scene, they had done it a bit different. Think about this: there are six stages in the building. The first and last are nothing but curtains with the CoP logo. What I would rather they had done was to use a single stage for both entrance and exit, left the four stages as they were, and then used the final stage for the future scene. That would give you five stages. That way all four original stages would have stayed as Walt created them, but the final scene could be updated as needed. That would have been nice.

That's a cool idea.:thumbsup: I've often thought that last scene was outdated, but agree that it would be sad to get rid of Walt's original. However, it would be nice to have a last stage that is new, fresh, and updated as the times change.

Jasper
03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Those of you who are regular posters here on Intercot are probably tired of hearing me say it, but there is only ONE way to even have a chance of keeping CoP open long into the future. That ONE sure fire method is to put butts in the seats!! There may still be other reasons they would kill it but there is no doubt that empty seats will make their decision easy.

Every time you are in the Magic Kingdom make sure you schedule a minimum of one visit to CoP. Then when you go see it yourself make sure you drag everyone else in your party along to see it whether they want to or not. Any time Disney sees empty seats in any attraction that attraction immediately moves up the list of ones to be closed or replaced. This is especially so when the technology becomes outdated and maintenance costs rise on that attraction.

The bottom line is this - any time you visit the Magic Kingdom and don't make at least one visit to CoP you are helping make it easy for Disney to send the bulldozers in. Pass the word to everyone who loves CoP!

McGoofy
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
You are exactly right. However, this makes me wonder--how does the Drew Carey sound stage thing stay around at DHS? Why did Millionaire leave? It was always hard to get into that show. I know attendance at an attraction counts for a lot, but I wonder what other factors are considered?

Keeper of All Hopes and Sorrows
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I was there on Sunday and I wanted to go to CoP so badly....but did not know about the limited hours of operation :( We saved MK until the very last day and so I missed it. It hurts to think that the next time I go back, it might not be there. I always have loved it, and believe it retains the original spirit of WDW....

Rides like CoP and, to a lesser extent, Horizons and the original SE and JII....these remnants of Disney's true visionary nature and the reason I loved WDW SO much as a child.....they are all dying and being replaced by kiddie fare or much simpler, "dumber" versions of themselves -- if they're lucky enough to yet be standing, and if not, they've been bulldozed and reformatted into thrill rides.

PLEASE, Disney World, don't kill the Carousel....keep some of that past-futuristic magic alive.

magicofdisney
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Those of you who are regular posters here on Intercot are probably tired of hearing me say it, but there is only ONE way to even have a chance of keeping CoP open long into the future. That ONE sure fire method is to put butts in the seats!! There may still be other reasons they would kill it but there is no doubt that empty seats will make their decision easy.

Every time you are in the Magic Kingdom make sure you schedule a minimum of one visit to CoP. Then when you go see it yourself make sure you drag everyone else in your party along to see it whether they want to or not. Any time Disney sees empty seats in any attraction that attraction immediately moves up the list of ones to be closed or replaced. This is especially so when the technology becomes outdated and maintenance costs rise on that attraction.

The bottom line is this - any time you visit the Magic Kingdom and don't make at least one visit to CoP you are helping make it easy for Disney to send the bulldozers in. Pass the word to everyone who loves CoP!
And this is why my 2yo can sing along with John and Sarah. :mickey:

CaptSmee
04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Carousel of Progress has not been seasonal for a very long time. It's been running daily for several years now.

Yupper! Us COP fans have revived it for a new generation! Make sure you visit to keep it running! It's rare now that you have empty theaters like when it was running on it's "seasonal" status a few years back.:mickey:

Young@Heart
04-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I am ashamed to say I have never seen it. :blush: But had decided to visit it on our upcoming trip. It's too bad it closes so early in the day, but we'll definitely be sure to see it. I've watched some clips of it online and it looks great. I can't believe I never took the time to stop by this treasure.

Laughin' place
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I dont want to add to the speculation (there is already plenty), but I just came across something that makes me wonder . . . .
While planning for our trip (57 days !), I got a big brouchure from the local Disney Store. It covers all the parks, and includes a map of each park and a description of each ride. In the MK section, there is NO mention of CoP. Im hoping its an oversight -- and not something worse.:confused:

beksy
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
We love CoP and make sure to visit it several times each trip. It's a great place to relax and cool down in the afternoon. Plus the song is great! I hope it's one that never leaves.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-04-2008, 07:33 PM
We love it (well, except for my 16 yr old niece) and make a point of trying to hit it every day we are at the MK.:thumbsup:

Last time we visited WDW in June 2007 it was over 1/2 empty every time we were there.:(

BrowncatP
04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
The maps of all the parks that comes with the planning dvd does not list CoP. The building is shown, but no number or description.

joeyGibson
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
The maps of all the parks that comes with the planning dvd does not list CoP. The building is shown, but no number or description.

I noticed that, too. It bugs me since it shows a lack of commitment to the ride. It also bugs me because people who have never been won't think there's anything there, and so won't be looking for it when they get there.