PDA

View Full Version : DeVine at AK

Bringonthemouse!
03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Has anybody else had the pleasure of running into Devine at the AK? What a sight!!! I spent a lot of time standing off to the side as she moved about just to catch the looks on others' faces as she was spotted. Some facial expressions made me laugh out loud!

For those who don't know who DeVine is, she is a character that wanders through Asia at the AK. She is often found up against the side of a buiding and it is entirely possible to walk past her and not even notice she is there. She is very tall and resembles a tree or vine, and the fact that her movement is so slight is often quite startling for those who are not aware of her presence.

Does anyone have any funny DeVine encounters to share?
:mickey:

ibrowse17
03-30-2008, 10:48 AM
This is a really cool thing, and really well done. One of the people you might have laughed at was my DW. We were standing for a photo pass pic with the Tree of Life in the backgroung when she started to freak and point at something behind the photo pass lady. It was DeVine that she had seen, but DW's reaction startled me before I started laughing at her:thumbsup:

WDWdriver
03-30-2008, 10:52 AM
It's always fun to watch guest reactions when they encounter DeVine for the first time. She often blends in with the trees and shrubs along the pathway, so she often startles people.

If you have never seen her, you can find DeVine along the pathway between Africa and Asia near the spot where guests can pound on the African drums. Her show times are 10:00, 11:00, 12:00 and 1:00.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
We saw DeVine for the first time this past September. Amazing.
My boys could not believe she was a person. We have some great pics of her.

crazypoohbear
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
We had the pleasure of running into her a few years back. She scared the bejebbees out of my DH. I never laughed so hard in my life :D
She kinda draped herself on him at one point.. It was priceless. He wasn't sure if it was a robot or a person

DNS
03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
We got to see her a couple of trips ago and she is awesome! Then our last trip I made a point to watch around for her, but never saw her. I knew nothing about her the when we saw her, so it was even more of a treat.

chicklittlemom
03-30-2008, 01:46 PM
We were walking along the path behind the Tree of Life and saw a couple of people standing and pointing (I thought at the TOL). I stopped to look and saw DeVine. I took so many pics! Loved watching her....
As we are standing there, someone walked in between the large group of people and DeVine. I guess they didn't see her, because she moved and this person let out this scream! Well, my kids wouldn't stay any longer because they then thought DeVine was something to be afraid of :mad:

bmj721
03-30-2008, 02:44 PM
My DH and I saw Devine 3 years ago quite by accident. We could see that there was something going on up ahead due to the rather large crowd that was following this extremely tall, leafy pole who ambled along and periodically leaned up against something. Being the photo fanatic that I am I scurried close and was able to obtain not just whole body shots, but a couple amazing close ups of this particular Devine's face and her greenery. Very photogenic. So, the next trip we searched and searched. No sign anywhere. Disappointing. Thanks for the timing tips. We'll look in December.
:thumbsup:

KineGirl
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
The first year AK was open we attended the park. A little on the not so much to do side at that point but we immediately fell in love with the concept. We were standing off to the side by the sloth area when all of the sudden a vine started wrapping itself around me!! I nearly jumped out of my skin!! Of course it was the beautiful & amazing DeVine. She is truly of work of art and a pleasure to see! We always keep our eye for her when we go to AK. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
The way she moves is truly amazing. She just seems to glide/slither for want of a better way to put it.

loopner67
03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I caught a quick glimpse of her last year for the very first time. I was amazed at the little I saw, so I would love to see her again, but see more of what she can do. Honestly, I was a *little* freaked out by her at first. LOL

LandFan
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
DeVine is sooo cool! She is amazing. It is the little things like her and "push" that set WDW parks apart from the competition!

Disney Doll
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Add me to the list of people who was slightly freaked out the first time I saw DeVine. I think I did a triple take and it took me a good while to realize that DeVine was a real person. That just goes to show how darn good she is.

BluewaterBrad
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
DeVine is sooo cool! She is amazing. It is the little things like her and "push" that set WDW parks apart from the competition!

Oh how true!!!:mickey:

MMouse6937
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Can someone link to a picture, I would LOVE to see what she looks like!

Also, WDWDriver, does she perform everyday?

Thanks for the info, I really want to make a point to see you on our trip in Sept.

pdrlkr
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
We have been lucky enough to have seen her three times now! :thumbsup: :mickey:

MinnieMommie
04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I only caught Devine once. She is amazing! I hope to catch her again as she is facinating to watch. :mickey:

Tbelle1976
04-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I have see her numerous times in the past. However, last week while in AK I did not see her at all! :confused:

IloveDisney71
04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
I had not heard of DeVine until right before my December trip and we were lucky enough to sort of stumble across her right before she disappeared. We only saw her for a minute but she was fantastic. Everybody was just standing around and pointing at her - if they hadn't been we probably would have walked right past her.

WDWdriver
04-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Also, WDWDriver, does she perform everyday?

Yes, she performs everyday. However she cannot perform if it is raining. Too dangerous on those stilts.

poeticeclipse
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
It's always fun to watch guest reactions when they encounter DeVine for the first time. She often blends in with the trees and shrubs along the pathway, so she often startles people.

If you have never seen her, you can find DeVine along the pathway between Africa and Asia near the spot where guests can pound on the African drums. Her show times are 10:00, 11:00, 12:00 and 1:00.

Thank you! I've always wondered where I could find her and at what time. Now I know!