PDA

View Full Version : Technically not a special need but need some help

javamama
03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi gang
Were headed down in 2 weeks:mickey:
My sister is pregnant:cloud9: after a few years of treatments, and several miscarriages. She's not high risk, but we're all a bit worried. Her doc said it was ok to go(she'll be almost 10weeks). She's curious about what rides she could possibly go on, we can figure out what she can't do---roller coasters, tower of terror, mission space, simulator rides, stuff like that. But is Pirates ok? She's asking me since I have kids, but I never went to DW pregnant, can anyone help me out here?
Thanks alot!

Marilyn Michetti
03-30-2008, 01:42 AM
If I had her history, I don't think I'd go on anything faster than the people transporter. She may carry this fetus perfectly, but if she miscarries after riding TOT, that will be "the reason" for the rest of her life.

God bless her. I hope she chooses to enjoy a really laid back trip, and has a healthy baby in a few months.:)

disneydeb
03-30-2008, 07:29 AM
I suggest that she go back to the room in the middle of the day to rest and no hot tubs.

joanna71985
03-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I hope you all have a great trip!!:thumbsup:

aurora, ariel, and bell
03-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Many many years ago, I went when pregnant. After a few days of walking, my feet were swelling and not feeling the best, my dh rented a wheelchair. I did not use it to go on rides but just to get from point a to point b. it really helped. I wouldn't take any chances if I were her and don't be a martor, if you feel you need the ride take it! And have a great time!:thumbsup:

Good luck, and hope she will enjoy taking her little one to Disney if a few years.

merlinmagic4
03-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Pirates does have a pregnancy warning. Just tell her to take it easy, easy, easy. Make sure she drinks enough, too!

javamama
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone, she thought she could do Pirates I'll pass on it's a no no. I honestly thought they were going to stay home, but she wants to come which is great, I'm exicted. She plans on napping, and eating alot:) she said. I told her she could watch my stroller for me when she's sitting on the bench somewhere:mickey:

scootch713
03-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Having spent three years and over $30,000 out of pocket to finally get my miracle.... if I were 10 weeks pregnant, I don't think I would ride anything. It would not be worth any risk at all to me. Tell her to watch too the eating as those who have issues getting pregnant/staying pregnant also have a higher chance of gestational diabetes. There is so much in the world to see and not ride. Neither of my 2 miracle girls ride much, but we never have any issues keeping busy. Praying for her!

illini
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
She really needs to discuss this with her doctor. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here on Intercot, but I wouldn't take a random stranger's advice in this situation at all. I tend to be one for using common sense (and would normally green light POTC), but I don't know her history. Her doctor does, and he can tell her what type of rides are OK and what type aren't. She'll feel a lot better with his advice.

thrillme
03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Given her history I just wouldn't take a chance. Personally I'd just plan on staying home. There's an awful lot of walking involved too unless she's already quite fit. Right now she's at one of her most crucial times.

Disney will be there next year and many years to come. I just can't imagine going to Disney sit on a bench while everybody has fun.

Stitchahula
04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
A few years ago when I was pregnant we had already planned a trip when I found out I was expecting so I asked my doctors advice he's crazy about disney too and goes every year. He told me that I should avoid anything with jerking motions and anything that has a sudden start or stop. So I could go on the train, the boat or small world as much as I liked other than that I wasn't going to chance it after all disney will be there next trip. I hope she enjoys herself even though it will be a different kind of trip this time.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
She really needs to discuss this with her doctor. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here on Intercot, but I wouldn't take a random stranger's advice in this situation at all. I tend to be one for using common sense (and would normally green light POTC), but I don't know her history. Her doctor does, and he can tell her what type of rides are OK and what type aren't. She'll feel a lot better with his advice.

I completely agree with you. She should discuss this with her doctor. The doctor will give her the appropriate advice. Just tell her to give the Drs. office a call. They might be able to just answer her questions over the phone.

BrerGnat
04-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Just wanted to chime in that I went to WDW a couple years ago at 11 weeks pregnant. I did NOT have your sister's history, though.

I only rode the "slow" dark ride type stuff. I saw a LOT of shows that I had never seen. I took it easy a lot, and that felt great. It was sweltering hot when I went (September) so hopefully, the weather this time of year will be nice for you all.

I would not ride ANYTHING that has a drop (as small as it might be, Pirates has a drop), is bumpy, spins (no teacups, no Dumbo, etc), or has sudden accelerations. All these things can be very dangerous for a developing fetus, particularly at this stage of the pregnancy.

She can most certainly still enjoy her time there. I did, and I skipped over all my "favorites". The rides will all still be there (hopefully) when she returns in a couple years with her baby, and she can use baby swap then to ride all the stuff she missed out on this trip.

Have a great time! As for the eating, let her splurge if she feels like it. It's the one thing at WDW that she CAN absolutely do is enjoy the food there! However, try to remind her to eat more frequent SMALL meals or snacks. She'll likely feel pretty :sick: if she overdoes it.

LibertyTreeGal
04-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Having miscarried eight times myself (but being blessed with adopting the two most beautiful guys on the planet) I wouldn't even consider riding ANYTHING, in fact I'd carry an electric cattle prod on the bus just in case someone tried to sit next to me :D

Just kidding about that last part, although I might try it on the boats to BC/YC they are way too crowded. ;)

KODABEAR
04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I see you're staying at the Poly. She can spend relaxing time there, great food choices, great atmosphere. And the monorail!!

mudpuppysmom
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I just can't imagine going to Disney sit on a bench while everybody has fun.

I thought this very same thing!! Our story was that I had planned on taking DS over MLK holiday for a week since he would only miss a couple of days of school and the crowds would be low. I had the trip planned already in September. Lo and behold in October I find out we're finally going to be expecting!! Then I come to find out I'm high risk......I tell DH we're cancelling the trip. He says, "NO WAY"....I told him he had to go the entire trip then.....of course he said "OK, I'll take one for the team" as he usually lets us go alone or comes for the weekend only.

We all go and I get to bench sit.....gee this is so much fun I thought the first few days. DH gets to do all the fun stuff while I get to sit here on this lovely hard bench. Was I having a good time -- heck no. THEN, it hit me. This was a totally different vacation than I had ever had before. I FINALLY got to do the relaxing and actually VACATION!!! I had LOTS of ice cream treats from the carts, I took lots of pictures of families who wanted photos taken together and got to chat with people from all over the world. I started to realize this on about day three, when I really had to sit down and not shop while the boys were riding -- my legs and feet were swelling something terrible, so sitting down was the only option. I almost told DH we had to get a wheelchair, but I decided against it -- we just went slower and if they needed to run ahead, they did and I met up with them at the end of whatever ride they were on.

Now, I also think that consulting the dr. is a very wise choice not knowing the full history, but I didn't take any chances either -- this was the last chance for us as I'm getting too old for this! If the dr. gives her the ok to do some of the tame rides than that will be a plus, but really bench sitting is not all bad......yeah it can be boring, but it is what you make of it.....look around at all the small details that you normally overlook; take in the atmosphere, listen to the background music and eat lots of treats!!

Tiggerlovr9000
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I would not go on any of the virtual reality rides either. They jerk you around so much. I really think if I was her I would for go the trip. WDW will be there next year.