PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Pier Concierge or Grand Californian standard?

quest4dl
03-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two (unfortunately DLH is not available during my dates). I think I will regret not staying on property and we're not likely to repeat this trip.

The standard room Grand Californian is $276 more altogether over the 5 nights. I can't find any info on what the view might be for a standard room. The Paradise Pier room is a city view but with concierge. I do like the convenience of easily grabbing a bit in the mornings and if we're up at different times, the early risers can get something to eat more quickly. It seems though that the GC is more heavily themed and just next to Downtown Disney.

So, I am leaning towards the GC at this point...any comments or personal experience to help me finalize?

BklynChick
03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I've done Paradise Pier standard (city view) and Grand Californian standard (don't know what it was called but it was the least expensive view). Here are some comments:

1) My "city view" at PP was quite nice - I overlooked the pool, with the DLH off to the right and the mountains in the distance.

2) PP did not have many quick breakfast options - this was one reason I didn't stay there on my 2nd trip. However, the concierge lounge would probably remedy this.

3) PP is further away from the parks, esp since they closed the special DCA entrance :mad:. Still it isn't an unreasonable walk.

4) My view at GCH was over one of the courtyards, directly above the monorail (and no, I didn't hear a thing when it passed unless the balcony door was open)

5) If you stay at GCH, Whitewater Snacks is fantastic for breakfast and it opens at 7:30am.

6) GCH is very convenient to the parks, with DCA steps away and DL very close via DD.

Overall, if this may be your only trip, I would say to [pay the extra money and} go for GCH. I did that last trip and didn't regret it.

quest4dl
03-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I've decided on GC standard view. GC seems like a nicer place to hang and take a break from the parks plus the snackbar option is a nice convenience in the morning.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I think you made the right choice - we stayed at GCH a few years and it was probably our best vacation ever.

Aisling
03-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Yay! My favorite hotel!

We've stayed at all the hotels and this one is my very favorite (GCH), so I'd recommend it. Also, we stayed at PPH and had the concierge and it's really nice to have that option. However, it's a hike to the park (okay, not really a hike, but a good 10 minutes at a decent clip) and GCH is an easy stroll in a few minutes to the parks.

I always forget Whitewater has breakfast because just outside GCH in DtD, there's Ralph Brennan's Jazz Express and their fabulous beignets. Yummmmmmm.

But I can vouch for the lunch at Whitewater, very tasty. Oh, and we like the pools better at GCH. And the lodge/fireplace room (get some hot cocoa at night and just rock in the chairs by the fireplace, ahhhh).

If it's a birthday or special occasion, tell them when you make the reservation, they do some fun stuff for you when you arrive. I won't tell you since it's a surprise.:secret:

Have a great trip!