PDA

View Full Version : Question about roller coasters

jeffs
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
We will be visiting WDW this fall. I've been there many time and, not being a fan of roller coasters, I've always been apprehensive about trying some of them. Generally, I don't like the sensation of falling.

Having said that, I like big thunder Mountain Railroad and space Mountain. Likewise, I have been on "the mummy" at Universal and enjoyed it.

My question is, how do those rights compared to Expedition Everest and The Rock and Roller Coaster?

While on the same subject, how bad (for someone who hates roller coasters) is the drop in Splash Mountain?

MushuGrl
03-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Jeffs!!!

I'm not a huge fan of them either - in fact, my last trip in September was the first time since I was a kid that I rode one!

That being said, if you can handle BTM, you can easily handle Everest. I thought Space Mountain was ALOT worse. I even rode EE twice!

I still haven't got the nerve for RNRC or Splash yet. :D

thrillme
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Expedition Everest and Rockin Rollercoaster are quite comparable to those that you say you like.

The only thing with the Rockin Rollercoaster compared to the others is it has a quick "suprise" take off and a loop. I think you'll be fine on both.

Everest sorta compares to the Mummy but I kinda like the Mummy a bit better (sorry mouse fans).

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
RNRC is faster than TMR but is alot smoother and less jerky. Believe it or not I find this one easier on me than Thunder. But it is fast and goes upside down which for some is too much. Everest makes me a little nautious only on the backwards part but I think it is onlr because it throws off the equilibrium. Other tahn that is it a relatively smooth ride. Splash has a the big drop in it but has a couple of small ones to ease you into it. You will not get wet on the smaller drops. Most people I know that do not like the drops say Splah is Ok for them because when it is happening all they can think about is getting wet which occupies their attention enough to forget the drop. That being said have a great time and do what makes you happy. We skip a lot of things because of the uncertainty with the kids and we still have a blast. Don't focus on those other things do what you like.

biodtl
03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
EE compares pretty well to BTMR - it's a pretty mild coaster (by my standards, anyway, but I'm a thrill-seeker). The biggest difference is the one larger hill and the backwards section. Neither are particularly scary - just fun.

RnR is a little more intense - faster, louder, loops, etc, but still (to me) not everly scary. I do find it to be a bit more "jerky" than a previous poster, but I have only ridden it once and I was in the back, so that may explain it. I don't love it when my head bangs against the headreast and it did quite a bit on RnR.

I think if you like SM and BTMR, you will be perfectly fine on EE, but I am not sure how they would compare to RnR for you.

RoyalRoseBlue
03-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I've been on all of them, except EE since it wasn't built yet when I was there last and of all the roller coasters, RnR is my favorite. Yes, it's a linear induction roller coaster, but I love that kind of stuff. The ride is smoth and the loops don't feel as if you are upside down and what better way to ride a roller coaster than Aerosmith blasting in your ear!!!!

jeffs
03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone. You've convinced me! I'll ride them both.

Oh, I should mention that I did try Mission Space the last time I was there. I was nervous but, being a huge fan of space exploration, I had to try. Overall, I thought it was good but I did feel queasy for the rest of the afternoon. I give it an A+ for a ride but I probably won't ride it again.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the trip a secret from my three and six-year-olds. Ideally, they won't know anything until they get on the bus from the airport to the resort!

IloveDisney71
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I am NOT a big fan of the roller coasters that take forever (click, click, click) to climb a steep hill and then send you plunging and I absolutely HATE ToT (I rode it once -peer pressure - you couldn't pay me to ride it again)!!! That being said I love all of the Disney roller coasters. RnRC is my absolute favorite. I rode it 7 times in under 2 hours in February. Yeah!
Even though Splash Mt. has that big drop, it doesn't bother me. I don't know why because I normally hate big drops. I ride it during every visit! EE has one big drop but it goes into a quick curve toward the bottom so that eliminates the straight drops that I don't like.

joonyer
03-28-2008, 01:18 PM
If you don't like the sensation of "falling", well you will certainly get that on the big drop on Splash Mountain. But I strongly urge you to "get up the gumption", "grit your teeth" and/or "grin and bear it" and get in a log and try Splash Mountain in spite of your fear. Just watch people getting off for a while and it'll make you want to try it. Even if you hate the drop, the rest of the ride is so well themed with scenes and music that it is well worth just closing your eyes and enduring the drop. Most polls year in and year out, show Splash Mountain to be the most popular ride in WDW, and there's lot's of reasons why. And I'll bet once you've done it once, is spite of your fear, you'll want to do it again. It is our family's favorite attraction. Try it at night, during the fireworks if possible. It's pure Magic!

IloveDisney71
03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
[quote=biodtl;1588198]

RnR is a little more intense - faster, louder, loops, etc, but still (to me) not everly scary. I do find it to be a bit more "jerky" than a previous poster, but I have only ridden it once and I was in the back, so that may explain it. I don't love it when my head bangs against the headreast and it did quite a bit on RnR.quote]

I got to ride RnRC 7 times in February and the very back seat of this coaster knocked us around pretty bad. We sat in various seats: in the middle, the very back and the very front. To me the front seat offers the best thrill because you don't have anyone obstructing your view. I know that people generally say the back seat offers the best ride, but I don't agree with that on RnRC because it beat us around so much that it gave me a headache. All of the other seats I sat in offered a much smoother ride.

Tygger7
03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I hate coasters too, but love all the ones at WDW. I'm a HUGE fan of Space Mtn & BTMRR, and absolutely LOVE EE. I hate drops, but as the pp said, it curves at the bottom so it's not bad at all. I "tolerate" RnRR....the launch isn't my favorite part (feels like a 500lb weight being set on my chest & I can't breathe), but I still love the rest of the ride enough to do it. I've always been scared to do Splash, but am going to give it a try this year. But you still won't get me on ToT. :sick:

momof3+twins
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I hate Rock n Roll roller coaster just for the start of the ride. It starts so fast. It is awful.
I like space mtn, big thunder, and splash mtn.
And I think Rock n Roll has the upside down thing going on also. Not sure though, it has been a long time.

katzctkpt
03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I would have to say if you can ride btm & sm then there shouldn't be any question on riding splash mt or rrc. EE makes me a little queasy when we go backwards but, all in all it's a cool ride and I will continue to ride it. Give it chance one time and you'll know whether to ride again or not.

pink
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I think that EE is much more intense thant BTMRR or SM. It goes backwards and has sudden drops that you don't expect because half the time you're in the dark. RNRC is even more intense that EE because you go upside and it has corkscrews. However, on Splash mountain I never get that "butterfly" type feeling. Hope that helps! :mickey:

KineGirl
03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
aww this has NOTHING to do with roller coasters (not a fan! LOL) but I saw that youre keeping it a secret from the little ones!! Thats so awesome! Try to hold out! I would love to be a fly on the wall and see their faces when they find out! Try to video it :pixie:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of drops either, but I absolutely LOVE Splash. I hate the big drop but the rest of the ride and all the theming make it worth enduring that drop.
I haven't ridden EE yet because I was having eye problems last time we went and the doc said no rides that might bounce my head around. Hopefully I'll get to try it next time. And I can't comment on RnR either because haven't built up the courage to ride that yet.

dfamasb
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I despise roller coasters for the very same reason, I can't stand the big drops. Space Mtn, and BTM are great but I don't really consider them "real" roller coasters. EE had a big drop that I completely despised and has me contemplating whether or not to ride again and you have that agonizingly slow and long accent to the top to start, though it is a great view. I haven't tried Splash Mtn because it's always been cool out and don't want to get wet! I also like Primeval Whirl, I love the spinning and no big drops.

bruin1344
03-29-2008, 08:08 AM
dont miss out on EE, its a great ride, you can even see MK and Epcot from it

javamama
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm no help I love 'em all, as for jerky ones I'd have to say TMR is the worst though. EE is great, RRC is one of the best speed wise effect wise is was great. If you hate falling just stay away from TT.

#1donaldfan
03-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I am not a big roller coaster fan either, but I can ride and thourghly enjoy all rides at Disney.....I don't know why, but I love 'em!!

RRC is so fast you don't even know your upsidedown....

EE is just plain awesome...

the rest are even slower paced than these...

SM drop....it's great.....a little "thrilling" but very "doable".....

you'll have fun......try 'em all!!:thumbsup:

garthbarth1
03-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I am not a big roller coaster fan either...I am a big chicken!! But I love all the coaster type rides at WDW-I think because they all have a theme, I don't really view them as roller coasters. I do not, however, like Primeval Whirl...I was so banged up after getting off of it-the spinning threw DH and me from one side of the car to the other and we both felt :sick: after getting off. That is one ride we will never ride again! Have fun at whichever rides you choose!

KylesMom
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I'll say this much. While my family and I LOVE Expedition Everest, there has been feedback from other Intercotees who, on our recommendation, rode and REALLY regretted it. Between the dark, backwards motion and the drop towards the end, it may be too much for folks who don't really like drops on coasters.

Nurse Kim
04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I am 35 years old and I am petrified of drops and heiights. That being said when I took my kids to WDW in March I rode Splash Mt, EE, and BTMR. It The drop on Splash Mt was freaky to start with but after doing it, it wasn't bad at all. EE I seriously thought about taking a chicken exit. LOL! It was scary when we went backwards but after that it wasn't bad. The drop is very quick so you hardly realize it. BTMR a little rough but small and it makes you think it's more than it's.

I WON'T do RnRC because I refuse to go upside down. That's where I draw the line. :ill:

Have a great time. Give it a try. You will be gald you did.