PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour -- March 29 8pm to 9pm Eastern

Mickey'sGirl
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
So -- how many of us will be honouring Mother Earth tomorrow night?

This event was initiated by the World Wildlife Fund to highlight energy conservation and to raise awareness about Global Warming and pollution. PM me if you would like to read a great news article about the event -- or simply Google "Earth Hour".

KylesMom
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
We had never heard of Earth Hour until we were watching the Chicagoland news last night - we'll definitely be participating! :thumbsup:

MicMouse
03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I also saw this on the news last night. Apparently, Chicago's skyline will be dark (except for the required emergency lighting) on Sat. night for one hour. Pretty cool.

Terra
03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you for opening my eyes to this. I had not heard of it before. I do what I can in my own little corner for the environment and our earth!
It's such a beautiful creation from God and I'd love it to stay way! :)

PirateLover
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I voted no, not because I am against it, but because I'm pretty sure I'll either be in a car at the time or at a friend's house... Maybe I'm crazy but if I was planning this thing I wouldn't make it on a Saturday night....

Jeff G
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I hadn't heard of this until reading this post. I would love to say that I'm doing it but having kids at 1 & 3 turning off the lights in our house isn't 100% feesible. I think we'll turn off all but the necessary lights to join in.

Mickey'sGirl
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Any little bit helps! I think it's awareness that is being emphasized. We're planning on playing go-fish and Candyland by candle light.

I think this was scheduled for a Saturday evening to minimize the impact on business ... I guess they figure bars are dark anyway! :D

conorsmom2000
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I had never heard of this until I went to Google something this morning and was a little surprised when Google came up (go to Google to see what I mean!) That's how I first learned of it. I think we'll try to participate, as much as we can.

BronxTigger
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I thought I forgot it because I kept seeing it on the news yesterday and for some reason thought it was yesterday. My mind locked in on the 8-9 part but missed the "Saturday" part completely!

I'm not sure if I'll participate or not. We usually don't have extra lights on, but the tv and computers are on a LOT. Hopefully I remember to turn them off for an hour!

MsMin
03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Not sure here. It will still be light and we rarely have the TV on. I will try to remember. I think it makes quite a statement. Thanks for posting this..:sun: :search:

garymacd
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I heard a pub owner in Calgary thought it would be a better idea to hold Earth Hour at 4 am.

Of course, he didn't want to lose any business during the Edmonton/Calgary game.

We sat in the dark at work last night. Only two small lights on that we couldn't turn off, and since it was a public building, we couldn't turn the outside lights off either.