PDA

View Full Version : SWA's Online Check-in

BigRedDad
03-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I work on process efficiencies for a living. I just used SWA's online check-in I know of several ways it can be made easier or more efficient. However, I think the current method is almost idiot proof.

I logged on, typed in my code and name. It spit out that I was not within the 24-hour window. I am sure everyone's clock is different, but I am set to the atomic clock. Pressed the Back button, clicked Submit again, and voila!!! I checked all names and selected to print the boarding passes: A18, A19, A20. Could not be too much easier than that.

Way to go SWA. :thumbsup:

Emme&TeddysMommy
03-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear your check-in went so smoothly!!! Hope you all have an awesome trip!!! :plane::woohoo::party2::coaster:

BMan62
03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I think people have been finding that the "24 hour window" is actually 23 hours and 59 minutes. There have been a number of comments that mimic yours about exactly 24 hours out.

DizneyRox
03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
However, I think the current method is almost idiot proof.
As soon as you make something idiot proof, along comes a smarter idiot. You should know that!

TheRustyScupper
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
. . . boarding passes: A18, A19, A20. Could not be too much easier than that . . .

1) Actually, better than you know.
2) A1-A15 are for business tickets ONLY.
3) Whether the seats are used or not.
4) So, you are right up near the front of the line.

ThanxForNoticin
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
You're right, the online check-in is very effective. I do love flying SWA. I just really could do without the inefficient boarding - with people picking their own seats, you basically fill the plane from front to back, which can be very slow at times. But eventually everyone gets a seat and a place for their luggage, so I can't complain too much.

thrillme
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
My only "stress" is the worry about getting to sit next to my family. I know it's not a big deal but it's important to "me"

So far it's never been an issue. Most of the people on Southwest seem to be pretty good about offering to rearrange so families could be together. Those with more than 3 are sorta going to be separated anyway.

Alas I've been on flights where they DO have assigned seating and it seems like those take even longer. ESPECIALLY when they decide to change the type of plane to be flown and the computer jostles everybody around.

BigRedDad
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
For boarding, I am kind of going to sit in the middle of the plane. I have to gate check a stroller, so getting out first to wait in the jetway is no different than waiting to get off the plane.

MARY POPS' MOM
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
remember also you can ask guest relations at any hotel to print boarding passes for your return trip home, again 24 hours ahead! this worked great for us!:thumbsup:

Jasper
03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
You're right, the online check-in is very effective. I do love flying SWA. I just really could do without the inefficient boarding - with people picking their own seats, you basically fill the plane from front to back, which can be very slow at times. But eventually everyone gets a seat and a place for their luggage, so I can't complain too much.

You know, I understand what you are saying about unassigned seating taking longer to board than assigned seating but that has just not been my experience. I used to travel 6 out of 7 days a week for business and averaged four flights a week. In almost every case the loading always seemed to go faster on Southwest than on other airlines with assigned seats.

Granted, I never put a stopwatch to the boarding so I have no solid proof but it certainly always seemed to work that way. Who knows, maybe I just got on a plane with poor Southwest employees!

ThanxForNoticin
03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
You know, I understand what you are saying about unassigned seating taking longer to board than assigned seating but that has just not been my experience. I used to travel 6 out of 7 days a week for business and averaged four flights a week. In almost every case the loading always seemed to go faster on Southwest than on other airlines with assigned seats.

Someone told me they thought it was better with open seating because you don't have people wasting time reading all the row and seat signs trying to find their particular spot. There might be some truth to it. I think the engineer in me just perceives the process as backward and inefficient - maybe it's really not!!! It certainly is not enough to have me stop flying on SWA - the service and the prices are worth it.