PDA

View Full Version : Very Undecided about Hotel Choice

quest4dl
03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Initially I was quite certain that we would stay at a Disney resort but the lack of the proximity to the parks is making me think twice. Aside from theming, a major reason for staying 'on-site' would be ease of access to our hotel. I guess the flip-side would be that it is more appealing to take a break at a 'nicer' resort. My boys are 7 and 11 and the younger one is apt to complain about long walks.

NotaGeek
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
i am not sure where you are getting your information about the hotels not being easily accessible to the resorts. All of the Disney resorts are closer to the Parks than ANY hotel at WDW.

The Disneyland hotel is a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute walk to the Monorail Station (and as you have heard in your other thread sometimes walking is faster than riding, the Monorail was originally an attraction at DLR, so it's not always the most convenient mode of transport) ... DCA is about 10-15 minute walk to the front gates, or they have direct access inside California Adventure (all DLR hotel guests can use their private entrance). Paradise Pier is also a 10-15 minute walk from either park.

There are several Good Neighbor hotels across the street from the front entrance, and some of them are in fact closer to both entrances and are a lot more cost effective if you are on a budget. You can see several other threads that talk about the different non-DLR hotel options.

quest4dl
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reponse. I guess I didn't mean that the Disney resorts were not close but that some of the good neighbour hotels are actually closer. I would not have expected non-Disney resorts to be closer as it takes some of the value out of the higher-priced Disney resorts. At WDW it's a no-brainer that the Disney resorts have an advantage on location (especially deluxe resorts) plus they have the Disney transportation option right from their door. The advantages of Disney resort don't seem as clear at DL.

NotaGeek
03-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the reponse. I guess I didn't mean that the Disney resorts were not close but that some of the good neighbour hotels are actually closer. I would not have expected non-Disney resorts to be closer as it takes some of the value out of the higher-priced Disney resorts. At WDW it's a no-brainer that the Disney resorts have an advantage on location (especially deluxe resorts) plus they have the Disney transportation option right from their door. The advantages of Disney resort don't seem as clear at DL.

Well, if you are looking for a financial advantage, there isn't one. Staying right in the magic is often enough for any Disney fan that can afford the sometimes hefty price tag of vacationing on resort property.

I think that the California lifestyle definitely comes into play at DLR ... a 10 minute walk in 70 degree weather (although hotter in the summer) isn't viewed as an inconvenience in SoCal ... and IMHO I would MUCH rather walk 10 minutes then have to deal with the WDW bus system.

Either way, it's DLR, so any choice will be fun.

Aisling
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
AND, when you are staying on property, that 10 minute walk is gorgeous! You have Downtown Disney to walk through, or the Grand Californian if you stay at the Paradise Pier. So, it might be 10 minutes, but it doesn't seem that long since you have so much to look at. I've never stayed off property because I love the Disney Hotels so much. To me, it's worth it for convenience and atmosphere. :cloud9:

nmbullrdr
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Forget walking, take the monorail!

Drops you right off in Tomorrowland and in Downtown Disney. Makes the resort very accessable during the day to go back to the hotel for a nice swim and lunch.

ghoofie
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Stay at the Candy Cane Inn. It's on Harbor Blvd, next to Disneyland. It's a pleasant 250 yard walk OR the Candy Cane has it's own private shuttle for guests that drops you have at the gate.

Baloo Da Man!
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
DW and I stayed at GC, but after touring all the Disney Resorts, if we had our kids with us, we would stay at (1) DH, (2) GC and (3) PP. The theming and pool at DL is the best.

As for convenience, I don't know how you can get much more convenient then the Disney Resorts. We would go early and walk through DTD and have coffee and pastries right outside the park before opening. It is a very pleasant stroll and certainly not far at all for someone who can log miles in the parks. Plus, as stated, there is the monorail. Love the Disney resorts. Do yourself a favor.

quest4dl
04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I have booked at the GCH standard view!

Aisling
04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Yay!!!!!!:yay::party2:

BrerGnat
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I have booked at the GCH standard view!

Awesome choice! Be sure to specifically request a balcony if you want one! There are some standard rooms (more than a handful) that do NOT have balconies, that face out over the front entrance of the hotel. Be sure to note the request on your reservation and remind them at check in.

tinkwest
04-12-2008, 04:36 PM
.... Be sure to specifically request a balcony if you want one! ....

I agree. The balcony is one of the GCH selling points for me.

quest4dl
04-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the tip on the balcony! I just assumed all the rooms had them!