PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bugs at Poly???

nyobabe2
03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
:confused: I'm just curious, I stayed at the Poly, Rarotonga bldg., got bites upon waking and was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same problem??

laprana
03-28-2008, 02:00 PM
We've stayed in Rarotonga twice so far, and have never experienced a problem. Always had super clean, beautiful rooms!

Tigerinvestigator
03-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Never had any problems at WDW period and especially not at the Poly. Not that it couldn't happen, but given their record I would say it was most likely sand fleas from the beach or those pesky mini mosquito "no see um" things! We only had one run in with them and that was on the balcony at the AKL a few years ago.:thumbsup:

nyobabe2
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Well that certainly wouldn't have been the first time I was bit by sand fleas... thanks for the option though, the thought of bed bugs really freaks me out!!! It's so dark in those rooms you never know what's lurking under things.:(

nyobabe2
04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Since posting this, my husband and I have treated our bedroom for bedbugs for the last 5 weeks, and they are still not gone! I returned home from Disney in Nov. with them in tow! Apparently we're not the only ones coming home from a Disney World with them. Our exterminator told us we are the 5th case that they've heard of.
So, just a little tip before traveling, ANYWHERE...buy the spray for your luggage that repels bed bugs from a reputable exterminator...this is the worst thing I have gone thru, the few dollars you'll spend for this will save you much more in the end including your sanity!

dizknee531
04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I feel terrible for you.We were there the same time you were and didn't have a problem, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We stayed at the TOKELAU building. Don't people bring them in. ??? :ack::down::noway:

nyobabe2
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
They're saying because of so many international travelers they are bringing them in! And how many international travelers are at Disney...TONS! Also, we were told that not only could we get them from the room but just from our luggage being next to someone elses luggage on the plane. The bugs will just crawl into someone elses bag. Thats why the spray is so important, it should just repel them.

It's horrible...and I love going to Disney but at this point...I'm done with traveling!

disneydeb
04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
This repellant, do you just spray it on the outside of your luggae and what is the name of it?

Thank you.

TheMartellFamily
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Can this be bought at Wal mart or any other place easily? I do not want this problem to happen so to stop it before it starts sound good to me.

JerseyDad
04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
....recently listened to a news story on the sale of used mattresses & bed-bugs (NYC radio..I think Newsradio 880?)....and the "after-story" had some talk about bed-bug control. There were a few products mentioned, and this website was one that was cited in the report to get products:

<snip>

....hope this helps?

Jeri
04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
You can buy some spray at Ace Harware for them.
My husbands family owns an Ace Harware and they have some new spray he showed me that you take and spary on the beds and around and it will kill them. It says to take it with when you travel and it will take care of them.
I don't remember them name of it but I would think you could get it at any Ace Hardware store.

nyobabe2
04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I wish I could say it's as easy as going to your local hardware store and picking it up but I would definetly recommend buying it from a local extermination company. I believe it's less than $10. I am not sure of the name of the product for the luggage but the product I bought to spray in the room itself was called SteriFab and it sold for $8.50.

For the luggage, I would spray in and out so it repels them and if any get inside...they will die.

Also, do not come home from your trip and put your luggage on your bed to unpack, bring your bags directly to your laundry room and stick clothes in sealed trashbags until you can wash them.

We will be doing our 4th application to our bedroom this weekend and we have just ordered the encasements for our mattresses so that if the bugs are in the mattress and box spring they can't get out or in!!

If I had only known this was on the rise I would have taken the minor steps to ensure this wouldn't happen. I did see the report on bed bugs on mattresses last night on nbc...scary!

nyobabe2
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
P.S. Last night I was on tripadvisor.com and someone had commented on their stay in Jan. 08' at the Carribean Beach Resort and guess what...they got bed bugs!:(

Catzle
04-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Yikes! Did you contact Disney at all about the problem? I am going to buy the spray! I will look into if for sure! Scary!

hlkeck
04-21-2008, 04:26 PM
In January I left with so many bites (I was at Vero) that everyone told me it was bed bugs...out of 4 of us, however, I was the only one bit -- I still have scars from the injuries. I have also been told it was red ants or sand fleas but again, we were all together - and I was the only victim...

I'll take the bed bug things with us from now on wherever we go! My husband spends 4 nights a week in hotels and I guess we've just been lucky so far.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
OMG! This totally freaks me out. Doesn't Disney spray for this themselves?? Did you contact Disney to let them know of your experience and trouble? I am not sure how to prove it came from them but it's worth a shot. I am definately going to look into that spary for our luggage. My only concern is spraying it inside where our clothes are. Any type of bug spray cannot be good for skin contact. I am scratching just sitting here. I feel so bad for your problems that has to be totally frustrating. What a nightmare.

Catzle
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
That's my question is it okay to spray in our suitcase and on the bed than put your clothes in their and sleep on the bed?

goofygirl67
04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
The one time I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge there were ants in the room and in the bed. I did get bit and I left a note for mousekeeping when I left. I haven't been able to get a ressie there since so I don't know if it was an isolated incident.

nyobabe2
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much for all of the concerns...honestly, I never contacted Poly about it because I just didn't feel like being brushed off. They may spray for this, but if you knew how bad you have to rip apart your whole room, you'll quickly realize that they would need to shut down their hotel to do this. They lay 5 eggs a day so they mutiply very quickly.

We've had to wash all of our clothes and keep them in plastic bins in another part of the house, we have had to take the bed frame apart to spray it, spray the mattresses, picture frames, baseboards, around the windows, inside, around and under all of our furniture, inside clock radio, remote control and outlets.

As for spraying the stuff in your luggage and it getting on your clothes and irritating your skin...I've been sleeping on the stuff for the past 5 weeks, I think it's mild enough and that's probably why it takes so long to kill them off. I usually pack my kids clothes in ziplock bags so I think that's why they were safe. Next time (if there is one) I will bring trash bags for our stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that this is just isolated to Disney I believe it is in many hotels in all 50 states, that's why I want to get this message out. IT IS BRUTAL TO GO THRU. And an embaressment. We don't want any of our friends to know!

Oh by the way, no one else in my family is getting bit. I am the host apparently and that's all they need, they can actuallly live for months on end without a blood meal, so I need to sleep in my bed so that they do not travel to another room to get blood. My husband has been in boxer shorts and not one bite. I am dressed heal to head and I wake up with linear bites! Also do not use bombs that will only send them to another room in the house.

I would avoid putting the luggage on the bed if at all possible, it's hard but if you can that would be the best option. We usually empty them out and put all our stuff in drawers and the closets but I don't know when they got in. One piece of clothing on the bed and that could've done it.

letsdoitagain
04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm interested to know what Disney has to say about this and if they are doing anything about it.

tnpoohbear
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Wow that is really alarming! We are staying at the POly in Oct. I too would have contacted Disney asap. We have been to WDW on property atleast 20 times and have never experienced anything like this and we have stayed at the Deluxe down to value resorts.:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
04-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I also think you should contact Disney. If they do not know you had a problem they can't fix it. That means that other people that stayed in that room probably have all gotten them too. I'm sure they would rather close off a room than have tons of unhappy customers returning home with bed bugs and not ever wanting to go back.
How long does the spray stuff last? Could you spray your luggage a week ahead of time? I am very nervous about any chemicals but after dealing with lice I am more than willing to take a chance. I think I will be calling Bug Beaters today to ask about the spray.

nyobabe2
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Well that's another reason I posted this was to see if anyone else got bites like me, then I figured I'd have more back up when calling the hotel. I think I will give them a call since these bugs move from room to room. There was a hotel in Atlantic City that had to shut down all together for this.

Not sure how long the spray lasts on your luggage, I would bring it with and do it before you go and before you leave.

nyobabe2
04-22-2008, 08:27 AM
So I just called the Poly who then directed me to Disney's Claim Service. I spoke with a woman who took down my information and told me that "they will do a little bit of investigating and get back to me either by letter or phone"

So we will see what turns up...

krorx
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Don't tell me this! Disney was the only place I felt like the hotel rooms were clean. I really wish Disney had been told about this. You know those little bugs are probably still there biting away on unsuspecting travelers. Ugh!

illini
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm so sorry-- what a nightmare. And thank you so much for the info about the spray. I'm very anti-chemical, but in this case I'll be all over it the next time we travel.

As to cleanliness, I think bed bugs are like lice. Doesn't matter how clean a room is, bed bugs can infest. Many times people don't even realize it until they've left and taken the infestation home with them, so Disney isn't alerted to the problem (or any other hotel, for that matter).

BostonChic
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
You can buy some spray at Ace Harware for them.
My husbands family owns an Ace Harware and they have some new spray he showed me that you take and spary on the beds and around and it will kill them. It says to take it with when you travel and it will take care of them.
I don't remember them name of it but I would think you could get it at any Ace Hardware store.

Thanks!I just might get some.do not want to chance anything especially when my youngest is only a baby :confused: thankfully we have never experienced this(jinx) j/k

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I have seen this on the news and I cant imagine what you have went through...I hope that your problem is gone and that it doesnt happen again...

nyobabe2
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
When I went to pick up my mattress encasements (protect a bed...buglock) I saw the luggage spray, it ran for $7.99 not a bad price I'd say since were hundreds of dollars in so far and still treating this nightmare!

Keeping my fingers crossed that the encasements work:fingers: and were doing another treatment of the entire room and funiture this weekend!!!

Hoping to hear back from Disney soon.

nyobabe2
04-22-2008, 04:22 PM
PS...the man who inspected our home said our house was immaculate...it's definetly not from being dirty!

pandkx3
04-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Sorry about all that you've gone thru!:( I have a friend that had the same thing happen and it WAS a nightmare. I saw something on tv that stated that bedbugs are making a huge comeback! The spray that almost wiped bedbugs out was made with ddt. Since ddt is no longer included in the insecticides the bugs are on the rise.:bang:

nyobabe2
04-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Just an update...Disney did contact me yesterday which I was happy about:thumbsup:(it has been about a week since I called them about the problem) The woman just asked if she could tape our conversation and she asked me various questions about when we visited, when I noticed bites, how much we've put out for all of the treatments and bedding etc....
She said they are going to have their pest control go out and look at the room. I don't even care if they find something and don't tell me about it, I just want them to get rid of them so this doesn't happen to anyone else.:(

offwego
04-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Sounds as if they are taking it seriously which is good news. Hopefully this ordeal will be over for you soon.

mouseketeer mom
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
We stay at the Poly frequently. During one of our stays in the Hawaii bldg, my son woke up with huge bites all over his face and neck. He was sleeping on the day bed. That was the one and only time, and nothing came home with us. Were you in the Hawaii bldg?

nyobabe2
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
we were in Rarotonga Bldg. I did read about someone else waking with bites though but don't know what bldg they were in.
I guess we just got a little hitchhiker!

nicjohn3
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I have heard about this at WDW on the news. We went in March of 07 and 08. Our 07 we stayed in POR and 3 out of 4 of us came home with bits--Small ones. Thought maybe it was slight case of chicken pox since the kids had the chicken pox shot, but it could not explain why I had them--hubbie did not ???We were all in same places at the same time. ?? Never reported it since we were not too sure. Nothing luckily got back home and into our beds-Thank goodness.--Sorry to hear about your experience

We did stay again at POR in 08, but did not have any issues with the bites this time.

Patty
05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I have been checking back on this link to check on your updates if. I hope that everything you are going through at home has been successful for you and that your visitors are gone.

nyobabe2
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Awww, thanks for the concern. It has been a week since we did our 4th treatment and so far :fingers: I've had no bites! I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney...I highly doubt if they do find anything they are going to be willing to share that info with me...but ya never know.

tinklvr
05-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Keep us updated on your situation...hope it is getting better for you and your family.;)

Patty
05-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Awww, thanks for the concern. It has been a week since we did our 4th treatment and so far :fingers: I've had no bites! I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney...I highly doubt if they do find anything they are going to be willing to share that info with me...but ya never know.

:fingers::fingers: whether you hear back from Disney or not, I am glad to hear that things are hopefully coming to an end at you house. Fingers and toes are crossed :thumbsup:

eeyore27
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Can someone please tell me how to tell if you bed bugs? I have seen pictures on the web, but it says they are very small that most people will never see them. I almost feel like I want to treat my house just in case. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Patty
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Can someone please tell me how to tell if you bed bugs? I have seen pictures on the web, but it says they are very small that most people will never see them. I almost feel like I want to treat my house just in case. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am by no means an expert, and maybe someone will come along with much better advice, but I will try to help. Bed Bugs are definatly visible to the naked eye, but you have to be looking for them. I think they say most people will never see them because when they come out to "eat" is in the very late hours of the night, and people are usually asleep. To check for them I have been told to check the along the sides and sewn areas of you mattress and look for black spots (this would be there waste) or little blood spots on the sheets, and from what I understand the bugs themselves are little flat bugs about the size fo a grain of rice. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. There are alot of products out there that say they will help prevent bed bugs, but I would check with an exterminating company before I spent any money on them because I am sure alot of them just give false confidence. Now the bad part about checking for them is that the bed is not the only place they are, these little critters like to hang out in furniture, pictures, headboards, cracks in wall or wallpaper and so on. I hope that I have given you correct information, it is correct as I know it to be, if someone else comes along with better info please let us know. I would hate to go on vacation and look for all the wrong things.

nyobabe2
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Patty,
You definetly sound like you know your stuff. On all of the websites I've gone on you are pretty much on with your info. We did see the bug in our bed and it was 3 in the afternoon,(we never got the black spots on the mattress though) It was at the foot of the bed and in between the mattress and boxspring, after we discovered it, we pulled up the dust ruffle and saw more, smaller ones on there, then finally saw teeny ones on our comforter :sick: They do live everywhere and anywhere and to treat your house would be so extensive you would not even believe! We have only been treating our small bedroom and it has been since March
15th we've been doing it since. We still can not move any of our clothes back in the bedroom yet. I have had no bites in the past 9 days, but were waiting 3 more wks. to see what happens.

On another note, Disney did call me back and they said that they "checked to see if there are any other situations like mine associated with the room we stayed in" and "we had a pest control person go out and check" and there have been no other "situations" reported and they found nothing in the room.
Not that I thought that they would find anything and come running back to tell me. I'll still go back, I love disney that much, but I'll be well prepared next time.( and that goes for any place I visit in this wonderful world)

Patty
05-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I am so glad to hear things are still improving. Hopefully you have seen the end of this. :fingers: This is becoming quite an issue and I strongly believe the hotel industry needs to step up to the plate on this one and do more to protect its guests. I will continue to keep my fingers crossed for you, and hopefully now you can relax a little.

Tinkerfreak
05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone has posted. When I first read the post I was totally freaking out but now that I know what to look for I will definately be checking for bed bugs in any hotel I stay at. At least if we notice them as soon as we check in we can move out of the room asap. I will also be getting some of the luggage spray mentioned.

Mousemates
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
After reading an article a few years back about the increase of bed bug infestations (especially in accomodations frequented by international travelers), we do a cursory check each time we move into a new room...looking both at the matress/boxspring and wall/headboard.

crltkcagle
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh this post has me itching from head to toe. I am going to have to check our beds when we go in september. thanks for the tips!

smartinez1
05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I also heard some percautions to take to try and avoid home infestation after traveling. What you should do is take your unpacked suitcases put them in a garbage bag and tie it up tight, then leave it outside on a porch or a garage. Bedbugs don't like the cold and will die in extreme temperatures. Now obviously this is not going to work if you go in the summer, so what I would suggest people do when they are traveling in the summer is to take your suitcase to your back yard or porch (don't even take them through the house) unpack the clothes and immediately dump them in the washer and wash on hot water with color safe bleach. Or take the clothes out of the suitcases, put them in trash bags and leave them outside along with the suitcases. I would probably even spray the luggage with that bed bug spray and also spray the clothes in the bag and let them sit for a few weeks outside before washing them. I figure if they are stuck in the bag, and not able to feed, they would also eventually die. I would probably call an exterminator and find out what their life span is when they are confined with no food, wait for the period of time, then wash. A lot of the ways people get them in their home beds is because we take our suitcases inside, put them on our beds and unpack and voila, if there are some hitchiking, then you have just infested your bed.

Also, they say not to unpack your suitcases and put them in the drawers at hotels, and don't put your suitcases on the hotel beds. Stack your suitcases on the luggage rack they provide and live out of your suitcase. The clothes you have worn to bed, fold and put on top of the night stand, do not put on your suitcase. At the end of your trip when you are leaving, put dirty clothes in zip lock or garbage bags and seal up. If any bugs were in your bed and got on those clothes, they won't infest the other. Then follow the unpacking procedures I outlined above. I hope this helps a little. Sorry it was so long.

Mousemates
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
just a note about bed bug repellents (since lots of folks seem interested in buying them) from what I was able to glean from the various articles I read (msnbc has a few rather lengthy ones), there are currently no trully effective repellents at this time...just insecticides that will kill them by contact. So, while some random spot spraying might offer some psychological comfort, chances are any spraying a person might do in a motel room would not be thorough enough to really make a difference.

So, (this is just my opinion) I think the best and most reasonable approach is just to take a look at things in your room upon check in, keep the clothes off the beds, and then chill out...vacation is to get away from worry, not increase it.

nyobabe2
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Correct on the post above, the insecticides you use in your home will have a lasting affect for up to 2 months to kill any bugs that hatch after spraying. If you buy a spray for vacation you actually have to spray it on the bug to kill it. That's why buying the luggage spray is the best bet, if they are in your room at least you won't be taking them home with you!!:)

Patty
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Correct on the post above, the insecticides you use in your home will have a lasting affect for up to 2 months to kill any bugs that hatch after spraying. If you buy a spray for vacation you actually have to spray it on the bug to kill it. That's why buying the luggage spray is the best bet, if they are in your room at least you won't be taking them home with you!!:)

Do you remember the name of the luggage spray, I know you had posted earlier that you exterminator had recommended it, but I don't think you put the name. (If you did, I missed it). I am getting ready to go on vacation, and just wanted the little extra piece of mind, and I know that there are probably alot out there claiming to do the job, but I would rather one that is truly recommended by an expert. I meant your exterminator, but I guess you are becoming one too. Are you still having continued luck? I'm rooting for you :thumbsup:

nyobabe2
05-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I am having continued luck with it thank you so much for asking!!! I don't know the actual name of the spray, I just know when I was in the exterminators I saw the bottle and it had LUGGAGE written on the from real big, I believe it was red and white. It cost about $8. Just don't go to any store for it, it will not do what you need it to. Have fun!!!

Patty
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks for letting us know about the spray and I am happy to hear you are continuing with the good luck spree!

bird
05-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry about your experience with those nasty bugs, I've known people who came in contact with them and it's not nice. We just came back from the Poly and we had no problems with any type of bug, and hopefully we won't. Our room was very clean everyday although I think they can do something about the spiderwebs on the stairs outside. How soon when you returned did you notice the bed bugs? I'm going to be watching out for them. I hope you are doing much better.

nyobabe2
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I actually never really took notice of it for a while, I always saw bites on me and was itchy but I guess not until I was home for about 2 months did I start noticing that the bites would be in clusters. I work for a pediatrician so she took a look and asked me if I had a dog (I guess thinking it was flea bites) when I told her no, she said bed bugs, as soon as I came home from work, I searched in between the mattress and boxspring and discovered one roaming at the foot of the bed.

3 weeks and no bites now!! YAY!

Patty
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
3 weeks and no bites now!! YAY!

:thumbsup:

MatterhornMiss
08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Just wanted to add something here. Since reading this post, I have been concerned whenever I travel. I am going to the world in less than a month, and have been looking for something to spray on my luggage. But no pest control business in this city will sell chemicals to an individual. I checked at TrueValue as another poster suggested, but the product they had was for killing bed bugs, not repelling them, and didn't indicate how long it would last if I applied it to soft luggage. So I did a search and found from wikipedia that neem oil has been used for a long time to repell and kill bed bugs and other pests. It is sold in hardware and home improvement stores, and I think even at WalMart and Target. I know the OP wrote that you should only buy chemicals from a pest control agency, but it's not an option for me. I'm going to give the neem oil a try. At least it's doing something rather than taking a chance.

Mousemates
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
what does it smell like...(i.e.is it scented somehow?)....because from what I had read said that natural neem oil had a strong garlic like smell...(not too bad if your going to eat Italian at Tony's, but maybe not quite the scent you want for the California Grill:D)... not being a smart alec, just wondering if it smells bad.

nyobabe2
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
You won't care if it smells like doo doo as long as it keeps those bugs away:D I'm the one that had them and you should see how I am when I go away now!

There is also a product called SteriFab which is basically pure alcohol that you can buy but that won't last long term. It's really for when you see the bug. I can not believe the exterminator won't see you the luggage spray! It doesn't have ddt in it so what the heck??!!

So believe it or not, we're going back to the Poly after all I've been thru. But I am bringing all my back ups and bags and the info I've learned with me! NEVER AGAIN!!! It's been 3 months clean:thumbsup:

TINKERBELL_82
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Good for you Nicole!! :thumbsup:Thank you for posting so much information about this here. Bed bugs won't keep us for staying at WDW resorts, but at least now we are all armed with the info we need to protect ourselves and prevent an infestation in out homes.

I'm glad you decided to give the Poly another try. Did Disney ever offer you any comensation for your troubles?

nyobabe2
08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
No they didn't and that was fine, I just wanted them to be aware of the situation.

WDW1208
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM
YIKES!
I just read through this thread and ow I am freaked out! We have been to WDW 7 times and never had anything like this happen to us! I am going to take giant ziploc bags to bring all of our clothes home, and keeping all of it outside for a few weeks before bringing it back in the house! So am I understanding that even if you wash in hot water with color safe bleach it will not kill them? I am asking because we will be taking a few pair of our jeans each, and though we can live a few weeks without some of our t-shirts, we need our jeans! I will also buy some spray to spray the suitcase with when we return. It does not sound like it will work until we see them in our stuff and it will not repel them, so I think I will have the spray here when we get back to treat everything outside before bringing any of our stuff in the house. Ugh you poor thing, I am so sorry this happened to you.

nyobabe2
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much!! I never washed anything in bleach, what I could do in hot water I did and dryer. Some stuff I had to do in cold water because of shrinking and it seemed to have worked. My comforter, sheets etc...I just threw away and replaced everything! I would just take the ziplock/trash bags, make sure nothing goes on the bed and keep the luggage up on the rack if possible. I will probably spray my luggage once I am ready to pack up my clothes to come home and then once again after unpacking.
I do this at every hotel now, I don't want anyone to think I'm just bashing the Poly, cause I'm going back there next year! It's a problem everywhere with foreigners coming in and having little stow aways in their bags!!

FriendsofMickey
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Okay, this is the first I saw this thread. However, a few months back, my dh was watching this show (terminators or something) and it had bed bugs on it.
Freaked me out. Last Thursday, we drove up to Niagara falls and stayed the night. During the night, I woke up and felt like I had a bite on my arm. I thought about that show and it kept me up all night! In the morning, my dh said he had a hard time sleeping because of the same reason. We both kind of laughed it off... I was happy I wasn't the only one that got it in her head, since he was the one that was watching that horrible show.

Now, I am really freaked, because I really just thought it was 'in my head', but now I am worried, what are the chances that if it was bed bugs, they stowed away in our luggage?!?!.... I just hope it was all in our imagination.

nyobabe2
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh No :( I don't know what the chances are of getting them, but you could have definetly been feeling them! Especially if it's around the 3 a.m. hour or after! I don't know how I got them and I even sprayed everything down with Lysol which apparently does not work against bed bugs!!! It took me a really long time to find them too, months! I kept looking too thinking there had to be something in my bed and nothing! One day I guess I just "lucked out" and found one :sick: at least then I knew I wasn't crazy!

I would just tell you not to worry so much until you start seeing bites on you in clusters, or even 2 right by each other.

FriendsofMickey
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Do you know what the bites look like? I am going to do an internet search.

nyobabe2
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Heck yeah I do, they were all over me for months:(
They are smaller than a mosquito bite but kind of resemble that of a mosquito bite just smaller (think flea bites) if you go on the internet and google it under images you'll see some really bad cases of them. Mine weren't as severe as those, however I did get the clustered effect. And of course the scratching didn't help with the look of it either.

FriendsofMickey
08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks I worry about my little ones the most.
I wish I would have seen this post when you first wrote it up.
Like I said, hopefully, it was just in our mind and I did not have a bunch of bites on me when I woke up. It was just that I laid back down (probably around the 2:00 or 3:00 AM mark after a bathroom visit and felt something bite me or felt like something bit me). So, ofcourse, my mind went there. And once it went there, I couldn't sleep imagining bugs crawling on me.... you know what I am talking aobut.

I havent' noticed anything since I got home, but just want to keep an eye on it. Just to make sure. Luckily, since we were only there one day, I did not unpack and left my suit case up on the luggage stand.

We go to Disney for 10 days, I usually unpack, but maybe I will keep it packed this year.

nyobabe2
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
And you know what was the weirdest part of the whole thing...my kids and husband...not one single bite! I was the "host" and I was all they needed. I'm the one that gets most of the mosquito bites in the house as well!
If you read all of the posts here, you may have read that you can buy a spray for your trip. It is at your local exterminator company and it is specifically for luggage and theres also SteriFab that you can take along too. I would definetly watch putting clothes in the drawers unless they are in ziplock bags. The bugs live inside the furniture as well.

EmmMOM2
08-22-2008, 08:17 PM
NYObabe- Is their for any sure way to see them? We leave VERY soon for our vaca, i'm hoping I wont see any and i dont have long to look as when we get their it will already be past the kids bedtime so we'll be going right to bed!!
Wish my room luck (no bugs):thumbsup:

nyobabe2
08-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Well they say the best way is to flick a light on in the middle of the night if you want to see them since they go into the mattress, headboard etc...towards morning. However as I said before, I did find that one bug in between the mattress and boxspring right down at the foot of the bed and it was around 3 in the afternoon.
I have never put the light on in the middle of the night because it would just freak me out too much. Having the bites was enough for me!
You can also check the mattress for dark spots that would be an indicator that they are there.

Boost
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Don't let the bedbugs bite!!!!

Hull-onian
08-13-2009, 06:40 PM
When we went in May of '09, we sprayed our room with Tea Tree Oil. We never saw any bugs of any kind anywhere. That being said, this thread has been great. We are going to try and get the Sterifab from a friend of my husbands before I go to Bermuda, cause I know people from all over the world go there. I will be very deligent after reading this great thread. Thanks for keeping it going.:sick:

johnO
08-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I didn't realize how old this thread was until I got to the end. Something the OP wrote concerns me. She claimed to have "Linear bites" on her body. This is consistant with 'Scabies" not "Bed Bugs".

Scabies can be found in bedding, furnature, rugs etc...

It'sWDW4me
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I didn't realize how old this thread was until I got to the end. Something the OP wrote concerns me. She claimed to have "Linear bites" on her body. This is consistant with 'Scabies" not "Bed Bugs".

Scabies can be found in bedding, furnature, rugs etc...

Everything I've read is just the reverse - bedbugs follow the vein-line so the bites are usually in a line. Scabies are mites and go everywhere. :sick:

I so hope to experience neither one, personally.

princessat37
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
i just recently caught a show on bed bugs and the infestation a lady brought home after staying at a 4 star hotel. the interesting part was that it was a bed bug sniffing dog that located the source, her luggage. and they we're killed instantly with a "fog" that froze them solid.:bug:

DeniseMB
08-14-2009, 03:22 PM
i just recently caught a show on bed bugs and the infestation a lady brought home after staying at a 4 star hotel. the interesting part was that it was a bed bug sniffing dog that located the source, her luggage. and they we're killed instantly with a "fog" that froze them solid.:bug:

lol, I just tried to flick that little bug off my screen. :mickey:
Now I am itchy.

kemps@wdw
08-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I work for an industry that deals w/bedbugs on a regular basis. Our company even requires us to attend seminar on this subject. (EEWWWW)
Sprays and repellants are fine, but will not kill ALL of the bugs or their offspring. A few tips...don't set your luggage on the floor after you empty it. Closet shelf is best. Don't be shy about checking your beds for tell-tale signs of bedbugs. They;re virtually clear before the feed, but once they have, they will leave a dark "blood" streak as they move across the bed. They also kinda congregate around the edgings of the mattress, so look around the bottom edge too. They prefer bedding (hence the name), but also like dark out-of-the-way places as well. We've seen them in the headboards on the walls, picture frames, and dressers. But, it doesn't matter where they are,,,they can "smell" you and will find you in the night (sounds creepy don't it?) They're not toxic and their bites are worrisome at best. They are brought to hotels by international travelers, and once you ger them and take them home, they are almost impossible to get rid of! The one thing that will kill them is extreme heat, So, if you've brought home more than the usual vaca souvenirs, put everything in the dryer and max heat for about 30 min. Then wash as usual and dry again! AS for infestation in your home, exterminators are best for that! If your're really freaked out and want to avoid contact, you can get a "Protect-A-Bed" cover for your mattress and foundation w/a "lock" to ensure you're not their next meal and a spray for the in and outside of your luggage, in case it comes in contact w/someone elses that has been infested!

Gregandmel
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM

OMG!! Seriously - I just thought there was a bug on my screen too!!!!!! :funny::silly:

Don't DO THAT!!!! ha ha ha :nono:

miprender
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
lol, I just tried to flick that little bug off my screen. :mickey:
Now I am itchy.

Me too.... I thought what are the chances of a bug on the screen when I am reading this.:confused:

Mousemates
08-16-2009, 10:28 PM
I was so glad when this thread "died" (It just creeps me out)...and yet here it is again :beat:...along with the super creepy bug smilies :bug:...all this with our first stay at the poly on the horizon. guess we will check the headboard and mattress and then forget it and enjoy:cloud9:. (but I do wish this thread would die ...and stay that way :mickey:)

poohbearkris
08-18-2009, 10:46 AM
This thread has made my sister, mother and I crazy. I am so grossed out. I don't mind bugs, just not on me or in bed with me. I feel like the 3 of us have become obsessed with the thought and how to protect yourself from them. :ill:

nyobabe2
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
If your're really freaked out and want to avoid contact, you can get a "Protect-A-Bed" cover for your mattress and foundation w/a "lock" to ensure you're not their next meal and a spray for the in and outside of your luggage, in case it comes in contact w/someone elses that has been infested!

I am the one who started the thread over a year ago and I invested in that cover for our mattresses. It was well worth the money to ensure my sound sleeping at night. I have traveled 3 times this year and I'm going back to the Poly in November. I always travel with the bed bug luggage spray and never put my bags on the beds or floors. And I immediatly bring all of the clothes to the laundry room. I've not had a problem since our "issue" It did take us close to 3 months to rid ourselves of our little friends.
All I can say is, invest in some Steri-Fab and bed bug luggage spray when traveling. It will save you alot in the end.

mouseketeer mom
08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
We are back from the Poly with lice. My kids started scratching their heads mid way into the trip. I figured they were just hot and sweaty and didn't give it much thought. Here we are 3 weeks later with an infestation. We are drowning with this problem. I am sick over it. We are now involved with a professional lice removal service who confirmed the timeline of us contracting the lice. The time we were in Disney. Could it be the Poly? WDW in general? The plane? It could be any of those things of course, but my kids woke up each morning saying they couldn't sleep because the pillows were "itchy"..this is the first time in our lives we are dealing with this awful problem. All three of my kids have them, and the professional lice remover checked me last night and I have them too now. I am sick over this.

nyobabe2
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
:( That's horrible! One more thing to worry about when you go away. Good luck with everything. And be sure to call the hotel to tell them about it so they can go and check out the bldg and room you were staying in.

sisterdisco
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
OMG!!!
We were just at WDW and my son would periodically try on a novelty hat, and I would wonder if someone tried it on before him w/ lice.......luckily he didn't catch anything.

dog-ears
08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Kind of hate to add on to "the thread that never dies" but I had to say, Wow, a bed bug sniffing dog! :dog:

disneykid@hrt
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Lice and Bed Bugs???!! I am laying on a hotel bed as I write this!! Itching...

This is too much. It WAS the last thing I ever thought about when on vacation- especially to Disney.

If it's not one thing its another...:(

nyobabe2
08-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Lice and Bed Bugs???!! I am laying on a hotel bed as I write this!! Itching...

This is too much. It WAS the last thing I ever thought about when on vacation- especially to Disney.

If it's not one thing its another...:(

Unfortunatly because it's Disney, it's does have to be on your mind since so many people come from ALL over the world to visit. This is how it starts...:(

kimblebee
08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I read this thread from start to finish and I just have one question. How do you know these bedbugs and lice are coming from 'international travellers'? Were the bedbugs wearing berets? Did the lice have hockey sticks with them? Give me a break. They could have come from your friends or relatives just as easily.

Just saying

nyobabe2
08-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Very true. Hey, you could buy used furniture off a friend and lo and behold...bed bugs, they can hide out without a food source for months on end...it's everywhere and anywhere

Mousemates
08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I read this thread from start to finish and I just have one question. How do you know these bedbugs and lice are coming from 'international travellers'? Were the bedbugs wearing berets? Did the lice have hockey sticks with them? Give me a break. They could have come from your friends or relatives just as easily.

Just saying

I think the reason that people are making the statement about international travel is quite simple and has very little to do with berets, hockey sticks, ...or sombreros, curling stones, wooden shoes or anything else associated with ethnicity or "foreignness"...it has to do with the fact that most of the websites that you go to when you look up bedbugs has a line that reads like this one from wikipedia...

"Bedbug populations in the United States have increased by 500 percent in the past few years. The cause of this resurgence is still uncertain, but most believe it is related to increased international travel and the use of new pest-control methods that do not affect bedbugs"

Yes...one never knows where the bedbugs came from...at this point chances of them originating in a major US metropolitan area are just about as good as them coming from a lot of places around the world. But the truth of the matter is that 50 years ago bed bugs were thought to be pretty much eradicated in the United States and thus were imported here from elsewhere....apparently just like they originally were when foreigners (like us) bought them here from europe in colonial days.

Saying that is not "anti-foreign", politically incorrect, xenophobic or whatever...it just appears to be what has (in general terms) taken place in bedbug resurgence.

Hull-onian
08-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Just got back from Bermuda. We got the Sterifab from an exterminator. Two giant bottles of it. My suitcase is a small carry-on, and we are going to use it. From what I could tell, our hotel room was clean. However, I wrapped my suitcase in a plastic bag. I think it worked. Thanks for the great tip.:thumbsup: