PDA

View Full Version : some security tips for a college student?

Tink2002
03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, so I'm going to be moving into a new apartment in my college town with my boyfriend in June and we will both be gone from it for ten days (TO GO SEE MICKEY!!! :mickey:) A couple weeks after that. It's an apartment located near the downtown area of town, and I'm probably being extra paranoid, but we don't really know anyone staying in the area for the summer who can check on it for us so I want to do some things to keep anyone from messing with the place.

Does anyone have any idea for affordable security solutions that a couple of college kids could take to ensure our place is safe when we're gone? I had seen small alarms that you could attach to doors and windows but don't know how much they are or where they're sold... and we're young college aged kids so we don't have the money to go all out on an ADT type of thing!

Thanks!!!

mrsgaribaldi
03-27-2008, 10:36 PM
If no one can pick them up for you, then stop delivery of the mail and the paper. Also, get a timer and have some lights go off and on at the right times so it looks like someone is home. Also, don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know that you are going away. Good luck with your new apartment and have a great trip:thumbsup:

mook3y
03-28-2008, 12:01 AM
If no one can pick them up for you, then stop delivery of the mail and the paper. Also, get a timer and have some lights go off and on at the right times so it looks like someone is home. Also, don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know that you are going away. Good luck with your new apartment and have a great trip:thumbsup:

great tips here. Also, if no one is going to be at your place, you can contact the local police department and they should stop by to make sure all is secure. They do this with houses anyways.....

The timer is great idea, cheap and makes it look like no one is home.

Ed
03-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Leave a radio turned on, tuned to a "talk radio" station with the volume just high enough to be heard near the door. The radio could be on a timer, too.

crazypoohbear
03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
The timer for the lights and radio is a great idea.
Stopping all mail, newspapers etc.
Don't tell anyone in town about your trip.
I know it's hard not to tell the grocery store check out person how excited you are about seeing mickey but you don't know this person and they could easily get your address. Same goes for the pharmacy, etc. It is an additional safety measure but sadly one that needs to be taken these days.:(
Also, notify the police to keep an eye on things for you... it's part of their job so they will not give you a hard time.

Tink2002
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
lots of good ideas, i didn't know that you could have the police check on things for you! Where can you purchase the timers for lights/radio... do they just sell them at most department stores such as Wal Mart?

Disney Doll
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
You can find timers at Wal-Mart, Target, or any home improvement store. We use them when we are on vacation. We even use one on our TV when we are gone. It doesn't work in the living room where we have a digital cable box, but it works on our bedroom TV- it's just basic cable that plugs into the wall. It's a light source and some noise all in one. Plus, I think it keeps our kitties company. Don't forget to lock all your windows and doors. It sounds pretty basic, but I don't always keep our windows locked so I try to remember to do that when we are going to be away. Have fun on your trip!

PirateLover
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
We always leave the radio on. Stopping mail and getting a timer for your lights is great. Also depending on what time you leave, you may want to pack your things the night before in the dark. We have a garage and we usually pack in there so people don't see we're leaving.