PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Towers question

locodemickey
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
How much do you think the point cost will be at the Contemporary and do you think there will be any discounts at all (or bonus points)? It seems like they wouldn't do any incentives because it is forseen to be the most demanded DVC yet!

lockedoutlogic
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I would think there would be the standard $5.00 off a point type incentives...

but i think the intial purchase price will be significantly higher for two reasons:

1. It will sell

2. A raise in cost might also push people towards AKV...or at least not grind those sales completely to a halt

LoriR
03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
I was recently told (at a sales pitch) that they are doing away with the discounts and offering extra points in the first year instead. I was also told that they won't even think about selling the Contemporary until most of SS and AKV is sold. The CM also said he expected the price to increase dramatically for this resort. I said I thought it was just a rumor, but he said it was happening but they couldn't really talk about it yet (??!!).

tomatoe pie
04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
has anyone heard about when they may start sales to members? :secret:

everything else seems to be selling really fast.:thumbsup:

Wells
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I am not a DVC member, altho I have been recently considering joining, and there is one thing that I don't quite understand;
Why should points cost more or less based on where your "home resort" is?
I had understood that any accommodations avaiable to DVC members were offered for a number of points based on the resort that was being requested. What difference does it matter from which DVC property the points were originally contracted? Aren't points points?:confused:

MarkC
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
As for the price of Kingdom Towers, who knows what they may ask-- $120? $130? It doesn't matter. I'm guessing these will sell out lightning fast. It all boils down to the 3 famous words in real estate: location, location, location! Any Disney nut with money and young kids or grandkids will snap these up so fast it will make your head spin. I would probably buy in too if I had the money, although we are very happy at Beach Club. I'm guessing there will be very little chance for people to book at the 7 month or less time frame either. Just my thoughts. Mark

dlpmikki
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
I am not a DVC member, altho I have been recently considering joining, and there is one thing that I don't quite understand;
Why should points cost more or less based on where your "home resort" is?
I had understood that any accommodations avaiable to DVC members were offered for a number of points based on the resort that was being requested. What difference does it matter from which DVC property the points were originally contracted? Aren't points points?:confused:

Some resorts are more popular than others. Also the points price keeps increasing if you buy direct from Disney. When I bought back in 92 it was only $51 a point. Now you see the speculation about costs when the CR is sold - one thing is sure it will be more than double what I paid 16 years ago. There are also different end times to the resorts - the newer ones are going on longer. For a long time all resorts were finishing in 2042 now some go up to 2057.

Wells
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but I still don't understand.....
I know that you will have preferential booking opportunities at your home resort, but, as dlpmikki stated;

When I bought back in 92 it was only $51 a point.
If we were each to book the same accommodations at a location that was not either of our home resorts, wouldn't the required number of points be the same regardless if you are using $51 points or $130 points?:confused::confused:

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
wouldn't the required number of points be the same regardless if you are using $51 points or $130 points?:confused::confused:
It will not matter how much you paid for your points - all points, once you own them, are considered equal (other than the "home resort" preference at 11 months).

So if you buy a resale for $84 per point, or Kingdom Towers at (potentially) $120 per point, your points will be "worth" the same when booking. It's sort of like real-estate... the value or cost of a home will (hopefully) go UP the longer that you own it... Such has happened with DVC. They started out cheap, and now are over $100 per point.

florida girl
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes, the required # of points to book anywhere would be the same for a new member or one that bought 10 years ago. One big reason they are expecting a $ increase at Kingdom Tower is because of the location. It is already getting hard to book some resorts at the 7 month out window and if you are dead set on spending a holiday week or really any "specific" week at the Kingdom Tower you are best off to be able to book at the 11 month time frame rather than waiting for the 7 month window. For that reason Disney sees this as a high demand area, being close to MK and the first monorail DVC, and will most likely raise the price.

If you don't care where you stay necessarily it would probably not be the best choice to buy there.

Horizon93
04-05-2008, 02:56 PM
The 11 month window is an asset with value to owners. KTV will undoubtedly be in high demand. That means that those who own there will have the best ability to secure accommodations. That is why the points will cost more. The point requirements for each reservation will also likely be higher.

tomatoe pie
04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
the 11 month window is becoming more and more important as the number of dvc members increase. i have even had trouble at the 11 month.

i have been moving my home pts to own at the resorts that i truly want most to spend my vacation at. that is i have sold what i do not want and repurchased at the resort that i do want. my big problem is that i have 3 favorites and i need at least x number of pts at each in order to take advantage of the 11 mo. window. i am now working on getting the right number of pts. at those, then again, i am sure that i will want kingdom towers also. i know my dvc file must look like a crazy woman.

we own pts at vwl and i think it would be really neat to own at kingdom towers also. you could then spend half your vacation at one and then have the resort transfer your luggage to the other while you visit the mk and catch the monorail or boat back to the other. thats the kind of beautiful service dvc gives their members.

ldc12377
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
After reading this post, I have a question. If Disney raises the price per point for the points at Kingdom Towers, won't they also have to charge the same price per point for whatever points are left at AKL or SSR? We aren't members yet but we will be one day :fingers: (as soon as I convince my husband. He doesn't understand the importance in family vacations. Hopefully, I will be able to convert him before our kids are completely grown-up.) If Kingdom Towers does sell out as fast as some say it will and the only thing left to buy straight from Disney is AKL or SSR, then will I be spending a lot more per point because I waited? What do you guys think? I'm having a hard enough time getting my husband to buy a DVC at $104 per point, there would be NO WAY he would spend $120, $130, or more per point. If this is what might happen, then I really need it be pushing a lot harder to buy now.

Maleficent's Dad
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
If Kingdom Towers does sell out as fast as some say it will and the only thing left to buy straight from Disney is AKL or SSR, then will I be spending a lot more per point because I waited? What do you guys think? I'm having a hard enough time getting my husband to buy a DVC at $104 per point, there would be NO WAY he would spend $120, $130, or more per point.
First off, SSR has got to be close to being sold out. My sale's rep told me that they didn't have too much inventory left there - sales at SSR were very good for a very long time...

If you wanted to purchase points directly from Disney, you could, realistically purchase "home resort" points at any of the DVC resorts. You just might have to wait a bit and be firm with your sale's rep.

Disney could sell two, or even three, DVC resorts at the same time - all with different prices per point. The thing about Kingdom Towers is that everyone believes they will sell out fast - and be extremely popular. Thus Disney could sell them at a greater price per point than any of the other DVC resorts.

doodleboy
04-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Will Kingdom Towers be recession proof? As the year progresses, figures are pointing toward recession. Will a consumer spending downturn mean slow sales for KTV or are there enough diehards out there to snap up all of these points no matter what?

Aurora
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
If Kingdom Towers does sell out as fast as some say it will and the only thing left to buy straight from Disney is AKL or SSR, then will I be spending a lot more per point because I waited?

It depends. DVC continues to increase the price per point and that sometimes means if you wait and they're still selling SSR and AKV, you may pay more per point than if you bought now. My parents bought at SSR in 2003 and paid $79 per point that included a $10 off per point promotion. (So the selling price was $89 pp). That was five years ago and they're still selling SSR, but currently at over $100 per point.

However you could buy at SSR, or at any DVC resort, for much less if you do resale, and you can pretty much have your pick of resorts. Disney does have right of first refusal for those sales, but it's likely you would still save money going this route.

I do not think (and this is just a guess) that they will wait to sell out AKV before selling KTV, because of the economy. AKV will have a total of 458 vacation homes, which I think will take several years (again just a guess). And I also don't think that the price will jump straight from $104 or $105 to $120 or $130 for the same reason. But if you see DVC's next price hike go to $110 with SSR and AKV still on the market, or even just AKV, then I can see KTV's initial point price being that high.

But all this is just speculation. If you think you would be happy with SSR or AKV and you can afford to buy now, I would. You really don't know for sure what DVC is likely to do. But if you would only be happy with KTV, then wait, and save your money.