PDA

View Full Version : Chain Text Messages-A rant!

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
So this morning, I was driving to work, minding my own business, when I decided to make a phone call. I noticed I had a text message on my phone from my best friend of over 13 years. So I opened it, and it was a picture of Samara's eye (from the movie The Ring) with creepy music, and it said if I didn't forward it to 10 people, I'd die in seven days. I was furious for several reasons. First of all, I don't have a text messaging plan on my phone, so that thing probably cost me money, with the pictures and music. Second of all, she never, and I mean NEVER sends me text messages, and this is what she decides to send me out of the blue?? What is wrong with people???!

I deleted it, because I wasn't about to forward it to 10 people and ruin their day, plus pay actual MONEY to do so. How ridiculous is that? People who make those chain mail curse thingies have mental problems. Telling people they're going to die is real hilarious.:mad:

Sorry for the rant...has this happened to anyone else? I thought emails were bad, but now your cell phone is at risk too!:mad::mad:

1DisneyNut
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I must be really dead and don't realize it. lol I've deleted a number of those stupid things. It ticks me off when they are sent to me too.

princessjojo
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I've gotten these before, but like you, I just delete them. I was watching something briefly on tv the other day and they were talking about how this is the "new thing" but it was going to be costly because you were charged each time they were sent & received. I have had to take my DS phone away for forwarding them around as well as telling him to let his friends know not to send them to him. But DH gets them all the time from friends at work, but doesn't forward them either. He does look at them, because they are "male directed" chain texts, but he just laughs and deletes.

They drive me insane to see them...

thrillme
03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I've gotten a few text messages (not a chain yet) but I admit I would have BLOWN up a bit at my friend. Telling her that texting costs me MONEY and I don't do it. I have had a friend or two text me and my answer to the issue is to immediately call them and tell them I don't TEXT.

The best thing you can do is to call your company and tell them to block your text capability.

Crystal Palace
03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
She actually just called me and was like "Sorry, but I thought you'd think it was funny." She only sent it to me! Gee thanks! I feel special.:ack:

I told her, nicely, not to send me any more texts.

GEEZ!

Gooftroop5
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I have to agree with how annoying they are. We've gotten texts from people that we didn't know. We've gotten them trying to sell us stuff & dating. We delete them without lookig at them cause we don't know the #. We don't give out or cell #s except to dr's office, dd's school & very close friends & family. So I figure its just random calling of cell #s. I have a text plan but I would be annoyed to get something like that wether it cost me extra or not. Both dh & I get pictures all the time from a "friend" of their kid thinking we actually enjoy them. Most of the time its after she has made a mess. My dh deletes them without looking & I look at them but delete when my message folders get too full.

I get them in emails all the time. It gets to the point where I just delete them without opening them.

DizNee143
03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
im a texter..so i dont really see a problem..ya most of those fowards are stupid...but then again some of them are really good...lol..but whatever..i look at them and move on with my life......

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I have unlimited in and out texts... But my friends will be the first ones to tell you that I do NOT like chain texts. And they are considerate enough to not send me them. I mean really, what is the point of them? None. Especially like the one you described. There isn't a story, a joke, anything of value. I text, a lot... a lot of times it is more convenient than using a phone, and a lot of my friends can't talk on a phone during the day, but texts/email are fine.

I understand your rant... completely.

MushuMulan
03-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't believe it costs anything for recieving texts, just for sending them.

Love of Disney
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Can't stand those chain letters either!! Don't people have better things to do with their lives?!?! Why on earth would you send a curse????

Here we go again...
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Nope, if you do not have text messaging on your phone it cost both ways. Gotta love AT&T.
I had to break down and add text messaging to my phone because so many people were sending me texts. Even my boss... I have internet on my phone so we could communicate by email and then she started texting me!

crazypoohbear
03-27-2008, 05:32 PM

SPRINT charges for text if you dont' have texting on your plan. They were even kind enough to Text me that my payment was due... then charge ME for the text!!:mad:
Sprint is no longer my carrier!

DVC2004
03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Ugh, my SIL sends chain emails all the time. We have flat out told her that we don't like them and please not send them. Her response: If you don't like them then just delete them.
:mad:
No, how about you just don't send them to us?
I don't know why people send those things anyway. Who really enjoys them or has time in life to send these things beyond the age of 10? If you want to send me a personal note about your life or pictures- fine. If it's a warning about not smelling perfume in parking lot of a gas station which really turns out to be ether or waking up in a bathtub full of ice with one kidney missing- please, spare me! I'll take my chances out in the world!

conorsmom2000
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a very liberal texting plan yet those kinds make me crazy - I delete them instantly and never forward them. My brother sent me one once that when you opened the text, it started playing this loud, totally inappropriate song - not only did he scare me half to death, but Conor was there when I opened it!! I was beyond annoyed about that - and needless to say, he knows better than to send them to me now!

They were even kind enough to Text me that my payment was due... then charge ME for the text!!:mad:

Okay, things like that infuriate me - I hope you fought them about paying that charge. I know it was probably only 10 cents, but still.....they would have known you don't have a texting plan! :mad:

RedSoxFan
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Thankfully, I've never received a "chain text". I have unlimited texting through Verizon; but I only text with my kids.

mrsgaribaldi
03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
If it's a warning about not smelling perfume in parking lot of a gas station which really turns out to be ether or waking up in a bathtub full of ice with one kidney missing- please, spare me! I'll take my chances out in the world!

Thank you!!! I was laughing out loud:D

ljv1975
03-27-2008, 10:57 PM
I have been getting a lot of spam text messages on my phone. They are from e-mail addresses and they try to sell me everything from cheap prescription drugs and diet pills to personal ads. I don't have a text plan on my phone, and I never text anyone. The charges for these people sending me texts on last months bill was more than $12. I called Verizon and got the charges removed and they told me how to block the spam texts, but lo and behold, today I received 2 more of them. :mad::mad: I don't know how they got my number, it must be random. I guess since the "Do not call" list, they had to find a new way to harrass people.
Sorry for going off the original topic a bit, but this has really been making me angry!!

DVC2004
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you!!! I was laughing out loud:D

LOL, thank you! I am glad someone else finds these as ridiculous as I do!

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I have one friend that sends those stupid things out and I always just delete them. I've never had this one though. I hope she doesn't get it.

Crystal Palace
03-28-2008, 09:09 AM
im a texter..so i dont really see a problem..ya most of those fowards are stupid...but then again some of them are really good...lol..but whatever..i look at them and move on with my life......

Well, it IS a problem when you don't have a text messaging plan on your phone, so each one costs you, incoming or outgoing.

And getting a text message saying you're going to die if you don't do what it says, isn't a "lol" moment, at least for me.

Crystal Palace
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
SPRINT charges for text if you dont' have texting on your plan. They were even kind enough to Text me that my payment was due... then charge ME for the text!!:mad:
Sprint is no longer my carrier!

Oh, that would get me so furious! What nerve!:mad:

DizNee143
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
with verizon (and i would imagine all the other carriers out there!)..you dont pay for texts sent by them...so no need to worry about that..
and with verizon and im sure with any other carrier...it cost to receive a text message and to send a text message...but its more to send one then receive one...verizons old prices were..2 cents to receive a text and 10 cents to send one if you didnt have a text message plan..but there prices just went up so i dont know what they are now..

PirateLover
03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Thankfully I have never received a chain text... and even though I have a plan, I would definitely be annoyed. Save that stupid stuff for e-mail (and even then they are still super annoying). I make it a point to never text someone unless I know that they don't like texts, or unless they text me first.

murphy1
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Stephanie and Diane, you two are cracking me up!!

I hate chain emails, too, by the way if you all don't send this thread to ten people in the next ten minutes, your hair will frizz out and a giant possum will attack you :D

MegaDisney
03-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I use text messaging a LOT. I have unlimited text but I do get VERY annoyed when I get joke, chain or "Warning" texts.

I usually just delete them but I have a couple of friends I had to talk to.

To me these are more annoying than SPAM email. I can choose when I want to view/read/delete SPAM on email, but a text of the type we are talking about is delivered to my phone, which rings and can get annoying.

I do use text to communicate throughout the day with friends tho...