PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else get the DVC email for adding on points at SSR?

Maleficent's Dad
03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
We just got the email from DVC about adding on points - 100 more points at a cost of $94 per point, and DVC will give you a $500 gift card if you purchase.

DW and I are seriously thinking of adding on yet more points! We'll bring our total up to 400 points in doing so, but of those, 225 of the points will now be at SSR.

Good deal? Not so good?
I know DVC wants to "close" SSR and move onto bigger and better things, but methinks that this might be the last time we'll see any points listed at under $100 per. (The exception being resales, however.)

lockedoutlogic
03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
We just got the email from DVC about adding on points - 100 more points at a cost of $94 per point, and DVC will give you a $500 gift card if you purchase.

DW and I are seriously thinking of adding on yet more points! We'll bring our total up to 400 points in doing so, but of those, 225 of the points will now be at SSR.

Good deal? Not so good?
I know DVC wants to "close" SSR and move onto bigger and better things, but methinks that this might be the last time we'll see any points listed at under $100 per. (The exception being resales, however.)

that just shows how unpopular saratoga is....if you check out a resale site...they're flooded with saratoga

DVC must have a ton of resale points available as well....

I would seriously not buy any saratoga unless you want to stay there...alot.....

It looks as though the home resort is going to become very important....and saratoga is not going to be prized by non-home resort members...maybe old key west....maybe animal kingdom.....but not the others

I think you would be better served to either get points at one of the others or buy at the contemp....even if it cost more

you don't want to pay $2K a year in maintenance fees and have to stay at saratoga all the time....

unless you really like it....then more power to you....i just don't think those points will translate to the other DVCs very well from here on out.

sillyolbear
03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
I got the email this morning. I think you are correct in saying outside of resale we probably won't see points for under $100 after this.

We will probably wait to buy additional points to the Contemporary.

Hammer
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Good deal? Not so good?

Frank, I have not received the email, but I did just buy into Saratoga via resale. I only paid $82 per point for a 150 point purchase. Absolutely no problem with ROFR. I am in agreement that it will become harder to get reservations at places other than your home resort going forward. Not impossible, but more difficult. I'm fine with SSR as I wanted the additional years. Actually, if I could have gotten the same years at OKW through resale, I would have done that. The only resales which seem to sell at a higher price are at BCV.

tinkerbell04
03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
We got the email today, but we are not planning on doing another add on at this time. We have done two add ons and are sitting tight for a while :)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
We got the email yesterday. We would love to add on but, can't right now.

Sharon1026
03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Didn't get that...
We love SSR. It's quiet and out of the way of the other resorts. I feel like I can actually relax there,

Under $100/ point? A good deal, but I would look at the resales first and see if you can get more points for less dollars.

let us know how it works out.

DVCWDWMEMBER
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
We purchased additional point when DVC offered 100 points to use within a year of purchase for free. We have DVC points in the WL, BC and SSR and have never had a problem getting reservations. One thing we always do is make a list of our preferences and if we can't get in the first DVC resort we then move down the list. We have always taken the atitude that no matter what DVC resort we stay at we are at WDW. We have even splurged and stayed at the PR and PO with our DVC points. For us the fact that we are there is all that matters. :mickey::thumbsup:

FutureCorpsFan
03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
I got the email back in February about SSR and AKL. We chose to add on 200 points at AKL mostly because we really liked it there when we stayed back in 2002. We also own at the BCV and love it there. Now we have options at two of our more favorite resorts.

I do agree that we probobly won't be seeing points under $100. This is one of the reasons we decided to jump in now - before the prices jumped up again.

Ian
04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I actually really like SSR (I often wonder if the people who claim not to like it have ever stayed there), but we're not very likely to add additional points there.

Not because we don't like it, but because if we're going to do an add-on it will be someplace new. I like the idea of being able to book 11 months out at multiple DVC resorts.

Ed
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
We like SSR also. We've stayed there several times. In fact, we're checking in there tomorrow morning for a short stay.

I got that e-mail also, but like Ian, if I do add on (again!) it will be at a third resort; we already have 250 pts @ SSR and 150 @ AKLV. Depending on the prices, I might spring for one of the ones Ian mentioned at either Poly or the GF.

:cool:

Ian
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Depending on the prices, I might spring for one of the ones Ian mentioned at either Poly or the GF.Huh? What did you say, Ed? April Fools? What? :secret:

dlpmikki
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I actually really like SSR (I often wonder if the people who claim not to like it have ever stayed there), but we're not very likely to add additional points there.

Not because we don't like it, but because if we're going to do an add-on it will be someplace new. I like the idea of being able to book 11 months out at multiple DVC resorts.

But I will say, check out the thread in News about Disney building DVC at the three monorail resorts. When that goes through, it will make the 7 month booking window a lot easier to deal with for places like VWL and BCV.

We like SSR also. We've stayed there several times. In fact, we're checking in there tomorrow morning for a short stay.

I got that e-mail also, but like Ian, if I do add on (again!) it will be at a third resort; we already have 250 pts @ SSR and 150 @ AKLV. Depending on the prices, I might spring for one of the ones Ian mentioned at either Poly or the GF.

:cool:

The story about the new monorail DVC sites and the monorail going down AK way seem a little suspicious as they have both come out on April 1st.

Ed
04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
The story about the new monorail DVC sites and the monorail going down AK way seem a little suspicious as they have both come out on April 1st.

Party pooper! ;)

:D

dlpmikki
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Party pooper! ;)

:D

Do you think Ian was also doing an April fool when he said he actually liked staying at SSR? ;)

Ed
04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Probably.

The Evil Dolls made him write that.

:thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

Mikki - -I just noticed; :congrats: - - you just passed the 10K posts mark! :party: :pixie:

Sunshine1010
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
I would LOVE to add on points.....but I'm already paying 900.00 a year for maintenance fees (for 250 points at SSR). I just can't imagine paying more than that per year.

MinnieMommie
04-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I actually very much enjoy staying at SSR and love being near DD. That being said...I think an additional DVC investment would have to be at CR, which was my favorite place to stay before becoming a DVC member. :mickey:

Sharon1026
04-07-2008, 01:54 AM
I like SSR quite a bit. I don't know why people make a big deal ove BC, BWV, AK, DWL. I've stayed at all of them. They are all nice. They all have the same room layout, more or less. If others want to fight over trying to get 1 bdr elsewhere, while I can get mine right away and not be waitlisted, then so be it. SSR is new, it's clean, it's away from the hustle and bustle and it's relaxing.

Maleficent's Dad
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I like SSR quite a bit. I don't know why people make a big deal ove BC, BWV, AK, DWL.
We prefer the Boardwalk area (including the BCV) simply because of its location. We love strolling the BW at night with the entertainment going on. The proximity to EPCOT can't be beat, IMO...

SSR is new, it's clean, it's away from the hustle and bustle and it's relaxing.
Agreed here - but for the "relaxing feel," we still go to OKW if it's available.

Admittedly, I've only stayed at SSR once - and that was when it was still under construction. It was fine, but still not my first choice. I will definitely be staying there again, probably soon, as we own 125 points there.

Still on the fence about adding on those points right now... :unsure: