PDA

View Full Version : My new car story

MarkC
03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I am turning over my Accord to my son in a month, who turns 16. I am wide open to models but reliability is a top choice of mine. I read Consumer Reports religiously when it comes to car buying. Here are my car models the last 30 years of driving-- Ford, Chevy, Buick, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda. As you can see I have no brand preference. My wife has also drove different brands. Since it will be mostly me driving this car I wanted a mid-size that was quiet, comfortable, and well-built. I talked to my brother last week, and told him my gut feeling was to buy another Accord but I would see.

Last week I test drove my top choices of Accord, Camry and Malibu. I nixed the Altima only because of rear seat room and a couple of other minor items that would not bother most drivers. I was shocked to find that the Malibu was by far the quietest and most comfortable car. I should point out I am 6'5" so no car in a moderate price range is a joy for me. However, this came as close to it as I could find. I have not had an American built/American corporation car for years, so I am happy to make that purchase. However, that was not the basis for my decision. I purchased the best car for the money. I even ordered it so I can get the color and options I want. Now I just have to wait a few weeks. This is obviously not a knock on the Accords since I have one and love the current models. I'm just happy to say that it looks like some good old American ingenuity and work ethic has taken over at GM. Mark

MushuMulan
03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't just give American Ingenuity credit(although it is definitely a factor). Over the years of its existence, and as GM has annexed other car companies, they've grown greatly diverse in nationalities.

I think you we should be grateful for the new international ingenuity that GM is giving us.

Regardless though, I hope you enjoy your new car, I know being tall can be a pain when you're trying to find a car that is comfortable for you.

Hope it works out well for you :thumbsup:!

disneydeb
03-26-2008, 10:57 PM
:thumbsup: Congratulations on the new car!

RedSoxFan
03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Congrats on the new car -- enjoy!!

Ed
03-27-2008, 07:34 AM
A coworker and I spotted a new car in the garage a few weeks ago and we were debating whether it was a BMW or an Audi or exactly what it was, based on the styling. When we finally got up close to it, we discovered that it was a new Malibu! What a difference over the older models! All the more impressive is that you, at 6'5", found it to be the most comfortable.

Congrats! Hope it meets or exceeds all your expectations.
:car:

MarkC
03-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the comments. My 2nd car was a 1976 Chevy Malibu. It was very stylish as well. The big difference is that I was in high school then and at least had a chance of getting a date with a cute girl (Ok, it was a slim chance). My wife won't let me date now so the stylish car doesn't help. Mark

MsMin
03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Congrats on the new car. Have fun and take your wife on a date:thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, I know you're having a great car day. I also know we have a birthday coming up. Mine is the 2nd.

Guess we both got a great present.:thumbsup:

Gooftroop5
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Congrats on the new car!:thumbsup: We liked the Malibu.

We almost bought the malibu in 2000 when we bought our impala but decided the impala gave us more trunk space for a stoller plus other stuff & more room in the back seat for carseat & other people. Little did we know that eventually we'd have 2 car seats & a booster seat in there 4 years later. Good thing we went with the slightly bigger car.:D

Ed
03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
My 2nd car was a 1976 Chevy Malibu. It was very stylish as well.

That's ironic. We had a 76 Malibu wagon that was still serving us well into the mid-90's, with well over 100K miles.

conorsmom2000
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Congratulations on the new car!! We've owned 3 Malibu's since 1998 and have loved them. Two years ago, when his lease was up, my husband went for the Impala over the Malibu - now that he's seen the new Malibu's, he's wishing he had that instead! :D Best of luck with the new car!

By the way, we are faithful Consumers Reports readers as well! :thumbsup: That's pretty much how I ended up with my Honda Pilot! :mickey:

mouseaddict
03-28-2008, 09:02 PM
My mom drove a Malibu for about 5 years. SHe leased it. She recently decided to try to Toyota Camry sine everyone was telling her that it was a much better car. Well, she does not like it at all. She misses the Malibu and is actually considering taking the loss and trading in!

Johnno52
03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
FYI We've always made the auto transmissions at my plant in Windsor On. :thumbsup:

Ms.Disney
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Congrats on the new car:party: