PDA

View Full Version : Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be?

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
We are thinking about moving and since we think of Disney as our second home, FL seems like the place we should go. I really want to work at one of the hotels or parks. On the outside Disney seems like a great place to work. I have heard that the pay isn't all that great but then again, where is the pay great. A server at Disney told me that only a very small percent of people who apply actually get hired. I'd hate to move there and find out that I have no chance of working there. Most people probably don't typically move to FL so they can work at Disney but my DH can find work anywhere and if I have to work, it might as well be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I'd love to hear from CM's who could give me some insight! Anything would be very helpful.
Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting hired? I'm sure it won't help my case for hire if I tell them upfront that I wouldn't be very good at cleaning bathrooms but I gotta tell you that I really wouldn't do it. Anything other than that, I'd be happy. I just want to work and talk with people, people who are coming to Disney to have a Disney experiance. There is nothing worse than being on vacation and everything is perfect until that one CM that is having a bad day says or does something that isn't very Disney like. It shatters the illusion.
Also, do you know the mininum age to work there? I'm quite I'm old enough (36:blush:) but my kids would like to work there too someday. Thanks!:mickey:

Ed
03-26-2008, 04:36 PM
My DW has worked there for almost 5 years. She works in a behind-the-scenes office where she has a lot of contact with both guests and other CMs. She definitely likes her job, but like any other job there are times when it's very frustrating. But she says the good times far outweigh the bad times.

Some of the "cons" include relatively low starting pay, odd working hours and days off, occasional mandatory overtime, and (to be expected in ANY business with 55,000+ employees) some friction among co-workers.

As far as the hiring process goes, WDW seeks people who are "people persons" with a quick smile, with a "can-do" attitude, having good work histories, and who fit the grooming standards required by the company. They look for people who are able to quickly and accurately assess problems and come to reasonable conclusions. Good oral communication skills are required. Fluency in another language is always a plus, but certainly not required.

It is true that WDW is pretty picky about who they hire, and they're usually pretty quick to weed out new hires who don't make the grade.

If you haven't already, check out the WDW Career Opportunity site (http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/); you'll get a lot of the company's side of the story there, then sit back and wait to hear from some CMs right here.

Good luck!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I can't wait to hear more. I had to laugh about the "gooming standards". :) I am sure that my Intercot name immediately brings a picture of a rough and tumble Harley guy to mind. You know, the type that would NOT meet the grooming standards. I have wished so many times that I could change my name on here! What was I thinking when I picked that name?:confused: We dont' even own a Harley any longer. We have a Goldwing and no tatoos, no piercings, and are very clean cut. :blush:
Anyway, thanks for the tips. I am going to keep all of this info in a file so I can be ready. :thumbsup:

joanna71985
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.:)

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.:)

Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?

TKDONALD
03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Me And My Sister Both Worked For Disney And Loved Every Moment Of It. But It Is True Like Any Other Job There Are Pros And Cons. You Have Your Good Days And Your Bad Ones.

joanna71985
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?

Nah. It's just because I've done 3 different College Programs (and had to keep going back to school).:)

mrsgaribaldi
03-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I met a woman working at Epcot and we spoke a boit about it. She's an RN like me and her and her DH moved to Orlando to work at Disney. They both still worked part time in theor original jobs. She said the pay was really low at Disney and they had to work other jobs. She said Disney does that in the beginning to weed out the people who don't really want to be there" It made sense to me. I think it's not just about the money. I have a good job but it's so depressing at times. I would love a job where I bought the "magic" to people. What a change that is instead of telling people how sorry you are for the death of their loved one.

dory is here
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I do have cm friends and one imagineer is my friend he loves it,the others most do love it in time they have worked up in the co. and the pay may not be so high but they say is a lot of perks..when I move to Kissimmee I will work part time ..

jkj1224
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
It's true the pay isn't great...but where else do you know it's time to go home because there are fireworks. There are definately pros and cons, you'll have days when you're so exhausted you can't see straight, then someone will smile and tell you you just made their trip...if you truly love Disney and you can work out the finacial portion of your life, it's wonderful. Any questions just ask :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-29-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry, you think we get to leave after the fireworks? :rotfl:

The parks don't always close with the fireworks. In fact, most of the time, fireworks mean mid-shift. Recently, Wishes is at 10, but the park clsoes around 12-1am, which means stores are open until 1 hour later. Then there is 2-3 hours for clean up and restock. For Epcot, Illuminations means 'almost there' since they are almost always at 9 pm unless it's winter. Then they still have the hour and clean-up/restock times. It's not easy keeping all those parks stocked with merchandise and looking good.

Now, just imagine what happens on the nights when it's EMH until 3-4am, which means we are there until 6am or later, when morning crew is still coming in to open at 8am. Yeah, that's been fun.

joanna71985
03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Now, just imagine what happens on the nights when it's EMH until 3-4am, which means we are there until 6am or later, when morning crew is still coming in to open at 8am. Yeah, that's been fun.

I think we have a different defintion of the word "fun". ;)

WDWdriver
03-30-2008, 09:19 AM
I have now worked for the mouse for almost nine years. I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything.

As for getting hired, it's really not all that difficult. As Ed said, there are more than 55 thousand CMs at WDW. Turnover is fairly high, and they are therefore almost always hiring. The process begins by simply walking in to the Casting building across from Downtown Disney. You will be asked to fill out an application and given an appointment time to return for an interview. You don't need a resume, and there is no background check.

The interview is critical. Your interviewer will be relaxed and friendly. But you will be looked at closely. It is important to look and act "Disney". Dress nicely, but it is not necessary to dress up. No need for a suit or sport coat. Smile a lot. You should have no visible tattoos or piercings. You should be ready to tell them where you want to work. They don't want to hear "I'll take any job". Your major choices (on stage) are transportation, attractions, indoor foods, outdoor foods, merchandising, horticulture, recreation, and resort front desk or resort staff. Custodial and housekeeping are perhaps not for you (the bathroom cleaning thing).

Once you are hired, you might be given a choice of which park and which area of the park you want to work in. As the others have said, wages are low. Starting pay is only a dollar or two above minimum wage. If Disney pay is your only source of income you will be struggling to make it here at first. Use the internet to check out local housing costs and cost of living. I'm retired and don't do this for the money.

The others have also commented on the long hours and difficult situations. Yes, there is some of that. All of us have had to deal with backstage disagreements and rude and abusive guests. But the one thing that overrides all that is the simple fact that you are a Disney Cast Member. You have the pixie dust - the power to bring out smiles and totally make someone's day. There is no other job like it in the world.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow. Thank you so much for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. We have officially decided to move to FL. In fact we are looking to move next month. Just curious how long after I go in there an fill out an application do you think the call will come for the interview? We are planning to go down there in 2 weeks to look around for housing. Is there a way to fill out an application online? I am very serious about working for Disney. They way I look at it is that we have always felt like we were part of the Disney family and now I want to work for the family. I love it when a CM tell me "welcome home" as I enter MK. That just blows me away and makes for a great start. I want to be that CM the says that! I would probably choose Front Desk ,indoor food, or merchandising. I was told when we were there last January by a CM that they weren't hiring servers. I think that would be the best job there because I know I fork out a lot of tips while I'm there. It seems like decent pay. I'm glad you said don't say you'll do anything because I probably would have said that. I would prefer to be in a job that I can be in contact with guest. I think that as a vacationer there I know what guest are looking for when they enter those first set of Disney gates. They, just like me want to enter those gates and feel like they have left the outside world and escaped to a world where anything can happen.
I was going to ask what to wear to an iterview so thanks for that information. I think once we get down there I will find perhaps a Disney polo shirt and I might even wear my pin lanyard with maybe 10 pins on it. I think the rule for CM is no more than 12 right? Would this seem too weird? I want to look like I belong as a CM with out going overboard. I think I'll leave the ears in the car though! :mickey:
Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm counting on you guys!

WDWdriver
03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Just curious how long after I go in there an fill out an application do you think the call will come for the interview?

You will be given an appointment date and time immediately upon turning in your application, and you should get your interview in the next three days or so. They don't take applications by mail, internet or phone.

I wouldn't wear the pin lanyard to the interview. There is such a thing as being TOO Disney! By the way, the pin lanyards you see CMs wearing are not their own. The lanyards and the pins are provided by the company so CMs can trade pins with the guests.

Your enthusiasm and love of everything Disney is just what they are looking for. You should have no trouble getting through the interview and hiring process, and you will soon be a first rate Walt Disney World Cast Member. Good luck!

TheRustyScupper
03-30-2008, 12:52 PM
1) I enjoy working at WDW and think it as fun.
2) Was semi-retired and did WDW full-time for a while.
3) Was lured back to work as a CEO, so stayed "seasonal".
4) If you can get along on the wage scale, it can be a great job.
5) There are good and bad things about WDW.

Bad:
. . . low wages - as low as $7.56/hr to start
. . . odd daily hours - union seniority governs job bids
. . . usually work afternoons and every weekend until seniority builds
. . . mandatory overtime - up to 14-hrs straight
. . . poor/terrible retirement benefits

Good:
. . . lots of friendly coworkers
. . . ability to make people happy
. . . clean working environment
. . . great medical insurance coverage
. . . able to work unfettered by managers *
. . . discounts on purchases
. . . free entry for employee & up to 12-times yearly for dependents

* Disney does not train it managers very well, so most leave you alone. As long as complaints don't go above their management level, managers are happy.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks. I think I can live with the bad. Our schedule has never made the weekends all that big of a deal. A week day is no different to us than a Sat. or Sun.
I read on another search that the interviews in Disneyland are done in a group. Is that the same as in FL?
I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants. Is there anyone out there that can give me some info? Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?

caryrae
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Hope ya don't mind me asking.

I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort? Do they have there own workers or hire outside? I would guess they would have a ton of tile around to be repaired and new places being built or remodeled needing tile.

WDWdriver
03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong about that. Servers earn tip money that greatly boosts their income. That is why server jobs at Disney are hard to come by (so I've been told), and it is not likely that they will be hiring for server positions. Most openings are filled by transfers from within the company. I'm not an expert in server positions, so I hope someone with experience in that area will come along to post in this thread.

When you submit your employment application you will be given a list of positions they are hiring for. If a server position is listed, then you should certainly ask for it.

TheRustyScupper
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
. . . I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants . . .
. . . server jobs are tough to get, since they are tipped positions
. . . if you get one, it would start as part-time
. . . usually for quite some time
. . . line cooks are easier, based upon experience
. . . better cook jobs go to culinary graduates

. . . I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort . . .
. . . yes, there are tile folks
. . . they are part of Maintenance
. . . but, maintenance folks are usually high seniority
. . . if you have specific skills, you can break in
. . . I personally know a roller-coaster repair guy that started immediately
. . . but, he had prior amusement park experience

WDWdriver
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Hope ya don't mind me asking.

I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort? Do they have there own workers or hire outside? I would guess they would have a ton of tile around to be repaired and new places being built or remodeled needing tile.

Okay, I'm not an expert on this one either. So some of you other CMs help me out here. From what I have seen, new construction is done by contractors, and the completed job is turned over to Disney. After that, maintenance is performed by Disney CMs who handle routine problems with plumbing, electrical, carpentry, ride maintenance, etc. Presumably this would also include repairs to drywall, tile, stone and ceramic work. These maintenance people are assigned to shops backstage at the individual parks, and in some cases, to shops that cover all of WDW. We often see them coming into our area with a work order in one hand and a toolbox in the other.

Hiring for maintenance positions is (I believe) also done through Central Casting across from Downtown Disney. I know nothing about their pay scale or working conditions.

MMouse6937
03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
This is really facinating to me, I'm so glad this thread is here. DH is having some major job issues and I asked him today if they (meaning the bank) come and put padlocks on the doors at work if we can finally move to FL. He said this might be the chance we need to get out of here!! WOO HOO :number1:

I am interested in hearing from Jessica about merchandising. I think I would LOVE this part but she said there are long hours after park closing for cleaning and restocking. I'd love her to give us more info.

WDWDriver, thanks for all of your insight, you have really made this thread a pleasure to read.

Take care, and I'll keep reading!! :D

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Me? You want to hear from me?

I feel so loved!!:D

Well, Merchantainment is, in my opinion, one of the better jobs to have because you are in a very heavy-Guest contact field. That's not to say that the other jobs are not equally as important, I just had a lot more fun working Merchandise than I did in F&B. I mean come on, I can play with toys and costumes and plush all day....and get paid for it!!

You are front-line, so you need to be a big people person and have a great personality, high levels of patience, and knowledge about the products we offer. I also find that it helps to visit the other locations or stores to see who has what and where, but that's just me.

The starting pay for Merchandise is $7.30. Painful, I know. But we get premiums (as do many of the positions, which a lot of people neglect to mention) that can bring you to around $8 or so, especially on night shifts.

Hours are long, usually upwards of 8 hours or more. You can preference for a stocking position, which is called Putaway and they come in around 3-4am and start unloading the pallets and boxes. You can preference Cashier, which is obvious enough. Shifts for Cashiers typically range from 5am until....5am...so basically, you can be there any time of the day but you can preference certain time ranges when you are full-time during the schedule bids.

Which is a union thing. Personally, I have a strong dislike for the union. Especially when it comes to schedules and promotions. But schedule bids are based on seniority and they basically involve you trying to pick what times and days you prefer working. It's done twice a year.

Before the park opens, Merchandise Cast will stock the reqisters, cashwraps, refill the stores maps, check over the closing Cast's work to make sure all shelves are stocked, sized and organized. Then from 8:50-9:10, they wave to incoming Guests on Main Street with Mickey gloves.

The store's usually open to Guests about 30 or so minutes before the park does (for families needing those costumes for breakfast!) and closes an hour after the latest park closing (EMH). We then usually stay about 2-3 horus after the doors close to clean the store, organize the shelves, restock merchandise, organize plush, empty all the cashwraps trash, sometimes we dust. The only exception to the one hour rule is hard-ticket nights, when we stop admitting Guests without wristbands at 7:30pm but we still remain open to hard-ticket Guests.

If you wanted Merchandise, I would recommend starting out in either a smaller location like a resort or an area such as Adventureland before transfering to a larger location, unless you really wanted a challenge. A store like mine, the Emporium (or MouseGears and WoD) is almost always non-stop business at night. We typically average around $40,000 an hour during mild seasons, upwards of $60-80K during peak seasons. Spring Break season and Christmas/New Year's are our highest sales weeks.

I hope this helps! If you want to know any more just ask here or PM me! I love answering.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-31-2008, 09:29 AM
:)Wow Jessica thanks for the info about merchandising. Everyone's information is very helpful. We are trying to figure out when the best time is to turn in my application. I don't know how receptive they will be to me saying I can't start for a couple of weeks. I would think that would be normal to say since most people probably need to give notice to thier other job. I just need time to move. It shouldn't take too long for us to get it together.
Also, is there anyone who works front desk? I'm curious about that job. I guess the worst job would be one outside in the summer. I'm guessing I should stay away from outside food if at all possible!

joanna71985
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Ah, merchandise. Good times.:) I loved my location (didn't like the costume, but that's another story). The best part was getting to move around, as there were 9 shops/carts in the area. I also loved getting to see Wishes every night. My only regret is not learning to be a sewer for hats.

MMouse6937
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Me? You want to hear from me?

I feel so loved!!:D

The starting pay for Merchandise is $7.30. Painful, I know. But we get premiums (as do many of the positions, which a lot of people neglect to mention) that can bring you to around $8 or so, especially on night shifts.

Thanks Jessica, you are loved!! :hug:

Merchandising is SO for me. I'm a people person, and I LOVE Disney merchandise. I always tell my DH I couldn't sell anything I don't love, well this I LOVE!! Not sure I would ever bring home a paycheck though, would really have to behave myself!

As far as you said the premium, what exactly does that mean? Can you elaborate? Do you know what other positions receive premiums? I don't really care about hours, we don't have kids, don't plan to so I can be available anytime.

Can you talk more about the perks too? Insurance, discounts, tickets, etc.

Thanks guys, and sorry Harley guy, hope I didn't hijack your thread, it's just so very interesting!

Take care!!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, and sorry Harley guy, hope I didn't hijack your thread, it's just so very interesting!

Take care!!

No problem! Any and all information will be very helpful to me. Since my main reason for wanting to move to FL is to work at Disney I'm hoping I really do have a chance at something.

jkj1224
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I know when I went in and filled out my application I did my interview that day and was signed up for traditions before I left. Interviews are done one on one (unless you go in with a spouse then they frequently interview you both at the same time). I did my interview picked my work location, filled out the paperwork in about 3 hours. Went to traditions two days later and started work in my location immediately. Usually Disney assumes if you're filling out an application you're ready to start immediately.

Here we go again...
04-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks. I think I can live with the bad. Our schedule has never made the weekends all that big of a deal. A week day is no different to us than a Sat. or Sun.
I read on another search that the interviews in Disneyland are done in a group. Is that the same as in FL?
I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants. Is there anyone out there that can give me some info? Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?
We spoke to the person that checked us in at LeCellier about this while we were there in February.
According to him, if you request food service you have to work your way up the line.
You start with checking in guests, then move to a food runner or bus tables (I do not remember which came first) then when a spot opens you move to a server.
Those are positions that do not open up much, mainly because of the pay. An 18% tip on every table sure makes that job more appealing.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks again. We have decided our moved date is the last week of April. We have decided to move everything and stay in a Marriott Residence Inn (due to the dogs) until we find a rental. It seems like there are some good rentals around Disney. I just want to wait on deciding until I see each area. I want to be somewhere safe. We are used to being in a small town and being in a safe area is a big thing. I want to be close by to the parks just in case I need to be home quickly for some reason.
Any more specifics about how I should dress? (I'm a 36 yr old female). I don't want to over dress but I don't want to undersdress either. I live in jeans but can clean up when I have to. ;)

bleukarma
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
When I went to put in my application I went in the morning, right when they opened. I’m glad I did because I was taken right in to fill out an application, but when I walked out a few hours later there was a long line. I suggest getting there early unless you want to wait in line. Plan on being there a few hours. They will give you a folder to fill out an application and then take you into another room to watch a video with a group of people. Then after you finish your application you will wait for an interviewer to call your name. You will go in the back and have a one on one interview with that person. At least that was how it worked when I went.

As far as dress, I saw everything while I was there. I would suggest business casual.

I do know that there are a lot of apartment complexes that offer discounts to Disney employees. Disney has a weekly newsletter for their employees and it advertises all the non-Disney perks in it. I’ve seen a lot of apartment complexes, housing, cell phone plans, etc. It might be worth it to find one of these magazines (I forget what it’s called…I’m sure the CM’s know what I’m talking about…) so you can utilize every available discount while your setting up your new life.
:mickey:

jkj1224
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
If you're planning on holding off and looking around for a place to live until after going in for a job at disney be sure to mention you're a CM when you check places out...a lot of housing in the area will wave application fees and reduce deposits if you show them your company id.

Business casual is the way to go for interviews, interviewers are looking for that happy, friendly, well put together "Disney look".

Don't forget to smile :D

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I know for a fact that F&B has a premium both FOH and BOH, as does Entertainment (a very nice one too....:mad:) I would assume that the same would hold true for housekeeping. Anything that involves hazard pay (dangerous risks) is also good.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I know for a fact that F&B has a premium both FOH and BOH, as does Entertainment (a very nice one too....:mad:) I would assume that the same would hold true for housekeeping. Anything that involves hazard pay (dangerous risks) is also good.

I'm confused.. What is FOH and BOH? What do you mean by premium?

Also, can someone define "Disney Look"? No jeans? Not sloppy? Clean cut? I know I can meet that look I just need to know what they are looking for. I haven't interviewed since I was a teenager. I've worked for my DH for about 11 years. I didn't need to interview! :blush: I am a little worried about how to look and act. I dont' want to look over dressed. I guess business casual is slacks and a nice shirt right? I want to be comfortable in order to feel comfortable though. Sorry to keep asking the same thing.

Thanks for the info about the housing. I see a lot listed in MSL and the Orlando Sentenial. There looks to be a lot of rentals in that area. Good news because I don't think we want to buy again real soon. We got out of ours in in the nick of time before the market really went south.

joanna71985
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
"Premimum" is extra money on top of the pay rate.

Also, Disney Look is no jeans, looking professional, just looking nice.

Aggie97
04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
I can't speak to the "Disney look," but in general for business casual interviews you can't go wrong with wearing black slacks; "conservative" black shoes; a nice, long-sleeved button-down shirt/blouse or sweater set/twinset in a solid color; limited jewelry; light make-up; no perfume.

Very best wishes on your upcoming move and interview!!! :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm confused.. What is FOH and BOH? What do you mean by premium?

Also, can someone define "Disney Look"? No jeans? Not sloppy? Clean cut? I know I can meet that look I just need to know what they are looking for. I haven't interviewed since I was a teenager. I've worked for my DH for about 11 years. I didn't need to interview! :blush: I am a little worried about how to look and act. I dont' want to look over dressed. I guess business casual is slacks and a nice shirt right? I want to be comfortable in order to feel comfortable though. Sorry to keep asking the same thing.

Thanks for the info about the housing. I see a lot listed in MSL and the Orlando Sentenial. There looks to be a lot of rentals in that area. Good news because I don't think we want to buy again real soon. We got out of ours in in the nick of time before the market really went south.

Sorry, it's force of habit to use industry terms. A premium is basically additional money...like for Merchandise, our base pay is $7.30 plus a 75 cent premium during peak hours (only if you start after 2:00 pm) or during holiday times. It's just an additional incentive to work the night shifts. For Entertainment, I believe it's $1.00 and more for face characters (Joanna can help more on that). Tinkerbell gets a nice little bit for her 30 second flight in addition for getting paid for 4 hours of work in which she's really only there for about 2 hours because her job involves hazard pay.

99.99% of restaurants (or any hospitality industry business) should use FOH for Front Of House, meaning front-line, guest interaction roles. BOH refers to Back Of House, meaning things that have little to no guest interactions such as technicians, engineering, cooks, costumeing, etc.

Almost every other place in Orlando will offer a discount for Disney CM's, including a good portion of restaurants and apartments, phone companies. The book is called Disney Difference, and it is updated every 6 months.

"Disney Look" also refers to hair, nails, make-up, piercings, mustaches/beards, and tattoos. If you have them, keep them covered or groomed. Hair cannot be certain colors, nails have to be neutral or natural colors. Don't look like Mimi from Drew Carey with the make-up, soft natural tones. I would recommend business casual for the clothes, slacks or skirts with a nice polo or button shirts and flats or low heels. For men, ties are nice but necessary.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I can't speak to the "Disney look," but in general for business casual interviews you can't go wrong with wearing black slacks; "conservative" black shoes; a nice, long-sleeved button-down shirt/blouse or sweater set/twinset in a solid color; limited jewelry; light make-up; no perfume.

Very best wishes on your upcoming move and interview!!! :mickey: Thanks for the tips. I would have never thought about the "no perfume". That makes perfect sense. Thanks

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Jessica for the clarification. I'm feeling more ready now. I'm just not sure which direction I should choose. I know it will depend on the jobs available but if my end goal is to someday work as a server I guess I should try for something in the F&B and work my way up over the years. I wouldn't think Disney would want to train me to do merchandise or Front desk and have me switch over to F&B. :mickey:

bleukarma
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I know someone that works in the Emporium on Main Street and she is on a waiting list to work at the Crystal Palace. Apparently most (if not all) server positions have waiting lists because of the tips. So I would suggest going into whatever you feel comfy doing and then putting your name on a waiting list for whatever restaurant you would want to work at. Eventually your turn should come around. :thumbsup:

I PM’d you a helpful website that is a community for Disney Cast Members.

If it was me, I would do Mousekeeping. They get tips too. But it sounds like you want more guest interaction.

Have you checked out the disneycareers website? It gives you directions to the casting building, available positions open, a phone number to call with questions. It’s very helpful. :mickey:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
wow. Thanks for the info and the link. I think that is a great idea. I will apply and work something else and put my name on a list for Trails End. I love that place.
Not much longer to go. We are looking a moving to Windemere. Anyone have any comments about that place? It is right next to where my DH will be going to school.

trackbarroness
04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
windemere looks like a cool place to live and it's not to far from Disney. In fact the apparment complex behind Cast parking for the Magic Kingdom says it's located in Windemere. So happy hunting, and I look forward to being able to say welcome to the "family".

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks. I thought is look like a nice little place too. Hopefully the hunting goes smoothly. :mickey:

By the way.....isn't it nice to finally have Intercot back today?!!:number1:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Yes, it is nice to have Intercot back!

You know, that's the nice thing about Disney. They really want to find the right people for the right job. If you wanted to, you can change position every 6 months and try out everything! You can start in Merch and then decide to switch to F&B if you wanted. Or Attractions to Entertainment and back again. They want you to enjoy what you are doing so they don't mind moving people around.

I might be trying to go to Entertainment again...and risk losing the seniority I'm building for leadership through Merch just because I really want to try and see how I can do. Unfortunately, being 5'5 by Disney's height stick....(I'm actually 5'6)...

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
That's good to hear. Most companies see you working in so many jobs and wonder why you need to move around so much. I can't wait!
Also, is there a height requirement??????
I'm 5'2:confused: Are they going to measure me???:(:thumbsup:

joanna71985
04-03-2008, 12:52 PM
I might be trying to go to Entertainment again...and risk losing the seniority I'm building for leadership through Merch just because I really want to try and see how I can do. Unfortunately, being 5'5 by Disney's height stick....(I'm actually 5'6)...

I will never stop trying. My next audition will be my 5th (most likely it will be next March/April). It stinks being 5'2.

That's good to hear. Most companies see you working in so many jobs and wonder why you need to move around so much. I can't wait!
Also, is there a height requirement??????
I'm 5'2:confused: Are they going to measure me???:(:thumbsup:

Only if you plan on auditioning.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I see! Well I don't ever plan to try out for anything so I think I'm safe.:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I would LOVE to be a performer, but have a feeling from the previous posts I would be too short :(

I think after hearing what Jessica has to say that merchandising is for me. I wouldn't even mind one of the smaller carts in like the AK.

DH and I were actually talking about a possible move to FL. I can't believe he even was talking about it, never thought he would even consider moving back to Orlando.

I have a question, and maybe nobody here knows but DH has *extensive* mechanical background (motorcycle, cars, jet skis, golf carts, etc). I would assume that is part of maintenance? He would love to work at the Lights, Motor, Action show because of the motorcycles and the little cars that use motorcycle engines. What are the odds? Can he be that specific in an interview? Should he bring all of his certifications etc to show his background? He would like to be hired in at a higher position because of all of his experience in this area. What do you guys think, possible?

Thanks for all the info, this thread has been facinating. :thumbsup:

joanna71985
04-03-2008, 08:07 PM
How tall are you? In Disney, being short can be a good thing (especially if you are 5'0 or shorter).

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in? I'm starring to worry about all the "what if's". I really want to work at Disney and we are picking the Disney area to live but that is with the assumption that I'm going to get a job there. How long do you have to wait before applying again? I'd even pick Tampa if I would be offered a Reservations job. I'm easy!:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I will never stop trying. My next audition will be my 5th (most likely it will be next March/April). It stinks being 5'2.

I could be wrong, but I'm 99.99% sure that my friend is 5'2 and in Entertainment for Munks.

If I don't make it this audition (May 15th-ish), I'll switch to Ops for a bit and then try again in November!

joanna71985
04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately munk is very common height.:(

WDWdriver
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in?
As long as you meet the appearance guidelines and can smile, you will most likely be offered a job. If not, you can return the next day to try again.

Your concern here, if there is one, is that they might not be currently hiring for a role that you want. For instance, at this moment they are not hiring for full time food service positions. But you can get part time. That may change tomorrow or at any time after that. The Casting Staff hires according to the demands coming in to them from the parks and resorts.

The CMs who have responded to you in this thread (including me) have failed to provide you with an important phone number. If you call (407) 828-1000 you will get a recording that tells you what positions Disney is currently hiring for, and will give you some more information about applying for Disney jobs. But keep in mind that the available jobs, especially for full time jobs, can change from day to day.

trackbarroness
04-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Oops :blush:
I knew there was/is a reason I like you Ron aka WDWdriver.
Working in attractions is not bad, but you want to work in food and beverage. starting pay for attractions in MK is a bit lower then what jesseca posted. If you go that route I would suggest going to an attraction that is on the laid back side and not an attraction like say Space Mountain which is the opposite of say Stitch or Buzz. well anyway good luck and hope to meet you guys down here after you get down here. :thumbsup:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the phone number Ron!:thumbsup:

I don't want to undercut myself and pick a "role" that pays less when I could pick one that might pay more. I would think the ride operators get paid less in general because that seems like a role that college kids would do and therefore could get away with paying less. I can't really think of seeing a lot of older people working the rides. I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly. That is the first contact with someone at Diseny in general and the person who can set the tone for someones vacation. I guess if given a choice of full time front desk and part time server (which I have no experiance with) I would choose front desk and know that I can put my name on a list. But I guess that list would do no good if there is someone with experiance as a part time server on the same list. :(
I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.

parrothed26
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
this thread is great! i have long thought of moving to and working at disney world. i dont mind the pay or hours, but with such odd hours i cant figure out how ttake care of my son and work there. any other single parents work there? how do u do it?

WDWdriver
04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly.

I've never worked at a resort, but I have heard that front desk can be difficult at times. If a guest is having a bad experience at a resort, the first person to hear about it will be the poor soul at the front desk.

I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.

Yeah, we all hear stuff like that. But keep in mind that there are 55,000+ CMs here. You can't expect all of them to love their jobs. As in any other job, it all comes down to whether you like your role, your work area and your managers. A good manager will do everything possible to maintain morale and a pleasant work environment. I have been lucky to have had some outstanding managers. But there are some managers here who don't measure up to the Disney standard and who don't support their people well enough. You will encounter one of those sooner or later.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
this thread is great! i have long thought of moving to and working at disney world. i dont mind the pay or hours, but with such odd hours i cant figure out how ttake care of my son and work there. any other single parents work there? how do u do it?

I know of a part time server at Ft. Wilderness that works there and is a single mom. She said that Disney is very open to her needs. She picks the hours that will work out for her. She works around her son. She said that she loves Disney because of this flexability. I don't know if every department is this good.
Thanks again Ron. I guess looking for reviews for anything you will find good and bad. I have learned that about cruises. I just don't even look anymore because it is a personal pref. For every good review there is usually a bad one to go along with it.
:mickey: I want to believe that I will get hired right away and love my job!:party:
I do have a small fear though. My mother is very sick and lives in Illinois. I'm sure they will be understanding if there is a death (at least I hope they will be) but I don't think I will have the ability to leave for a week to visit her if she starts her decline. I worry about that. I have had flexability for the last 15 years that if I need to leave we just leave. I haven't had to work for someone else for a long time.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked! :-o

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked! :-o

Character Handler is part of Entertainment. I might try that soon since I am not feeling challenged enough at Emporium.

I think DAK would be one of the better parks to work at because of the hours. You'll almost always be done before midnight. In fact, it'd be very rarely, if ever, that you'd be there that late. With MK, it's almost every other night. Epcot isn't so bad but I think MouseGears is always there until just around 12 or 1am.

With merchandise, however, there is no guarantee you'll have an inside job. Actually, unless you specifically request the main stores in each park, there is a 80% of you being outside or in an open store (meaning, not closed in such as carts or pin traders, etc). Which is what I love about the Emporium, nice AC all day.

joanna71985
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Hee! This is where I come in!:D

Character Attendant is sooooo much fun. I love getting to work at all 4 parks, and getting to work with different characters (FT CMs don't move- they are bid somewhere). It is such a wonderful role. I can't wait to pick up shifts this summer.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Mmmmmm. That brings up a good point. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what is offered.

I would think being a handler could be fun though because you get to talk to people while waiting around for the characters. I would really like to be friends with Eeyore.:blush: I know how important those visits are. It was top on our priority list when we visited Disney to see Pluto first thing then make sure we found him again before we left. My daughters trip depended on it.

joanna71985
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
It really is. I remember the first time I worked with Alice and Mad Hatter. I had so much fun with them!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Well, time is flying! I don't know if there will be enough time. We are picking up the truck on the 19th and that isn't feeling like nearly enough time. The pressure is making sure we are down there by the 3rd. We were granted tickets to the Disney Chanel games concert in which the Jonas Brothers are performing. My daughter will be so excited! Can't miss that for-sure. :cloud9:

Do you guys know if the application ask for refereances? I am curious what info. I should go in with. Do they want personal ref. or business? I don't really have any business ones. My first job was as as drug store cashier and the drug store doesn't exsit any longer. My second job was at Pet Inc. in St. Louis which no longer exist. And my job for the last 13 years has been an assistant to my husband. Should I tell them I was employee of the month for the last 13 years??:blush: Would it help to have a Disney CM as a referance? Over the years I've talked to a server who said I could use her as a referece. Do they ask if you were referered by someone?
I have no idea which town we are going to be looking when we get there. We want to look for a house to rent because of the 2 dogs. Apt. won't be my first choice and I'd rather not be in a development with an association. We established a P.O. Box at the UPS in Windermere but that place seems like it is pretty high rent. I want to stay pretty close to Disney because of the kids. :mickey:

So many questions.....so little time! Oye:(

trackbarroness
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Ride greeter is part of routation. In fact it's at the start of rotation. It's not just attractions that CP's work in but other locations as well. And you will be surprised at how many older CM's there are working attractions. I'm sort of in the middle because I'm not at college age or someone who's retired to Florida to work PT for Disney. Instead I left NJ to work FT for Disney at an attraction, and I love it.
So stop by where the server you know works and perhaps she'll have a casting scout card for you. they do ask for references and if you don't get an appointment get there early.
My Mom and I got there not long after they opened and it was like 3 or 4 hours later we left as CMs'. Good luck in your quest.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Ride greeter is part of routation. In fact it's at the start of rotation. It's not just attractions that CP's work in but other locations as well. And you will be surprised at how many older CM's there are working attractions. I'm sort of in the middle because I'm not at college age or someone who's retired to Florida to work PT for Disney. Instead I left NJ to work FT for Disney at an attraction, and I love it.
So stop by where the server you know works and perhaps she'll have a casting scout card for you. they do ask for references and if you don't get an appointment get there early.
My Mom and I got there not long after they opened and it was like 3 or 4 hours later we left as CMs'. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks! What is a casting scout card? I don't want to impose on her but if she will get credit for refering me then that would be great. So you're mom works there too? That is too cool. :thumbsup: I plan to go to the casting center a day or so after we get in town. Once I know I've been hired we can look for a house to rent. Hopefully they give me a couple of days before I have to start.
:number1: I'm so thankful that all of you have taken time to give me this information. I'm really glad that I haven't been bombarded with negative information. That would have really been a disappointment.
Do they ask you what you expect to earn? I know salary is a sticky subject and I don't mean to offend anyone but I haven't been paid by the hour for many, many years. What do you think I should ask for as a fair starting pay? I don't want to under-cut myself but I also don't want to put a number out there that puts me out of the running either. :confused: Thanks again!!! Karyn

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
A Casting Scout card is more or less a reference card.

If hired and you stay past the 30 or so days, she can be eligible for an award.

I think based on what Disney tends to start at, I'd say asking for $7-8 would make sense. But they kinda didn't give me the chance to ask...otherwise I could have probably gotten a starting of $8 instead of $6.67.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
:party:Thanks Jessica! I guess if I get asked I know what to ask for but if they don't ask me then I guess I I didn't have a choice anyway. Thanks again!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
A Casting Scout card is more or less a reference card.

If hired and you stay past the 30 or so days, she can be eligible for an award.

I think based on what Disney tends to start at, I'd say asking for $7-8 would make sense. But they kinda didn't give me the chance to ask...otherwise I could have probably gotten a starting of $8 instead of $6.67.

Hi Jessica,
I just sent you a PM. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Karyn

WDWdriver
04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't remember them asking about what you expect for starting pay. Most new hires start at the bottom of the scale for their job anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you expect. Some jobs start at a bit higher pay - bus drivers, for example, start at about $1.00 an hour higher than Attractions jobs.

Have some references handy. It doesn't matter whether they are CMs or not.

As far as starting work after you are hired, I guess we haven't explained that very well. You don't just go to your work location and check in. Disney is known for its well-trained and knowledgeable CMs, and you will be getting loads of training. It will probably be more than a week before you speak to a guest.

The first thing you will get is an appointment for Traditions, which is an all-day overview and orientation for new hires. Normally you will be scheduled for Traditions sometime in the two weeks after you are hired.

After Traditions most new hires are then scheduled for an area orientation for the park or resort you are assigned to. At Animal Kingdom it is called DAKlimations, and is a two-day park orientation. You will also be issued your first costumes during this orientation.

Finally, you will be given a date and time to meet a trainer from your work area. Usually you will meet your trainer in a location you are already familiar with, such as a cafeteria. Your trainer then takes you through every aspect of your job and introduces you to your managers and fellow CMs. He/she will also puts you through a lot of associated training such as safety, hazardous materials, how to treat guests with disabilities, etc. This training can take from several days to more than a week, depending on the job.

So you can expect the whole "getting started" process to take at least a couple of weeks. In most cases you can work with your scheduling manager to get enough time in between orientations and training days to take care of personal needs.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I really enjoyed Traditions (probably one of the few who did) as well as my walking tour of MK, Once Upon a Time is Now. I loved it and I had lunch with my facilitator the other day and she asked me if I learned anything on the tour. I had to answer her honestly and tell her no, because I have such a passion for the job that I already knew all of the stuff they wanted us to know, and then some.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Ron. That is a relief. I want to get hired as soon as possible but I'd like some time to find a house to rent. I don't mind coming in a couple days during the week but can't do a full 40 hr week the first week I get hired.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I really enjoyed Traditions (probably one of the few who did) as well as my walking tour of MK, Once Upon a Time is Now. I loved it and I had lunch with my facilitator the other day and she asked me if I learned anything on the tour. I had to answer her honestly and tell her no, because I have such a passion for the job that I already knew all of the stuff they wanted us to know, and then some.

Hopefully all of the information that I have learned on Intercot all these years will prepare me for that. Disney trivia just kind of sticks with you. Some people get it and some people just don't. We had a friend of ours go to Disney one time and they took their daughter who was about 8. They asked us what park they should go to if they were only going for one day and we told them to go to MK. Well, when they came back they said their daughter wasn't really all that interested in the park. The daughter even said it was boring. We couldn't believe it. Who goes to the MK and is bored? Our two kids were about the same age and LOVED Disney. To me, I just didn't understand why. So, a couple of years later I said let's plan a trip together and we will show you around all 4 of the parks and you will have a better time. We took them through kind of a whirl wind tour of all the best rides at all the parks. I'm not sure they ever really got it! :( But I figured out why the daughter didn't have any fun on their first trip. They would only take her to the small rides and didn't want to ride most of them themselves. We pressured the parents to ride with their daughter because they should take part in it rather than wait at the exit. They were there because of the daughter but didn't want to take part in the fun. I look at it totally different. If my kids want to ride it then I'm game. I want to see my kids having fun not just send them off to have fun. Of course it would be boring to the little girl if no one would ride with the her. They were more worried about getting wet on Splash Mtn. than having fun with their daughter. Some people just get it and some people don't. That is just sad. :(
We have brought our kids to Disney from PA about 15 times over the years. Each time it feels more like home. We get it!! :mickey: In fact, we've never even been to any other theme park in FL.

joanna71985
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM

I enjoyed it too. I liked it a lot.

And I loved Once Upon a Time!! Hopefully I will be taking it again in May.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, we've been here almost 3 weeks. Spent almost 2 of those weeks in a hotel. Finding a place to rent around here is a huge undertaking. We have been blessed with a place 5 minutes from MK CM parking. I can see the MK fireworks from my bedroom. :fworks:I went to casting today and was hired on the spot. I will be working at MK in Tomorrowland Merchandising. Now I'll get to see more of Push and his girlfriend Stephanie!:yay:
Capt. Jessica was kind enough to give me a scout card in which I used today! Thanks a million Jessica!:party2:

Aggie97
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Congratulations! :party: What fantastic news! Very best wishes to you on your new job. :mickey:

joanna71985
05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Congrats!!! That is awsome!

Maybe I will see you when I come back down next week.:)

fupresti
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Man would I love to get a job at Disney World. However, I imagine a corporate level position is much more difficult to obtain and the number of applicants would be much greater.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Congratulations! I need to visit Casting and apply for either TS, Attractions or Entertainment.

Emporium has gotten really bad lately.

joanna71985
05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Congratulations! I need to visit Casting and apply for either TS, Attractions or Entertainment.

I'm sorry to hear that.:(

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
:thanks:Thanks everyone!

Now, back to moving things in and unpacking. I think I'm going to be seeing boxes for a while.
:dizzy:

Beast_fanatic
05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Congrats on your new Disney job! :thumbsup:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM

Really bad? Like how? Hopefully merchandising isn't too bad. I really wanted to work at a resort vs. park but that wasn't available. The recruiter said that after 6mo. I can put my name on a list or apply for something else if I like. I thought I read that you had to be in the same position for 6 mo. but with the company for 1 yr. before you could switch. I kind of was thrown off when he asked me which land I wanted to be in. My choices were Liberty, Adventure, Tomorrowland or Frontierland. I don't spend a lot of time in Adventureland and I knew I didn't want to do strollers so I said either Tomorrowland or Frontierland. My kids prefer Tomorrowland so that works out. They think that is really cool.

Thanks Beast_fanatic for the well wishes!! :mickey: Oh, my you have a lot of post!!:eek:

joanna71985
05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Nah, merchandise isn't too bad. I liked it a lot.

And the costume for Tomorrowland isn't too bad.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Really bad? Like how? Hopefully merchandising isn't too bad. I really wanted to work at a resort vs. park but that wasn't available. The recruiter said that after 6mo. I can put my name on a list or apply for something else if I like. I thought I read that you had to be in the same position for 6 mo. but with the company for 1 yr. before you could switch. I kind of was thrown off when he asked me which land I wanted to be in. My choices were Liberty, Adventure, Tomorrowland or Frontierland. I don't spend a lot of time in Adventureland and I knew I didn't want to do strollers so I said either Tomorrowland or Frontierland. My kids prefer Tomorrowland so that works out. They think that is really cool.

Thanks Beast_fanatic for the well wishes!! :mickey: Oh, my you have a lot of post!!:eek:

It's just a lot of internal issues right now with leadership (the one problem the majority of CM's have at Disney). We're testing a lot of new policies and procedures there and the morale at our location has gotten pretty low. Even I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my spirits up.

As for transfer, it should be any time after 6 months you can request one. I'm probably going to stick around until July, for the Leadership Casting Call. If I don't make it, I'm transferring.

Merchandise isn't bad at all, it's a lot of fun...most of the time. Then again, the Emporium is a lot different than the smaller stores in the parks.

jkj1224
05-14-2008, 11:21 PM
congrats and welcome to the world :D

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
It's just a lot of internal issues right now with leadership (the one problem the majority of CM's have at Disney). We're testing a lot of new policies and procedures there and the morale at our location has gotten pretty low. Even I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my spirits up.

As for transfer, it should be any time after 6 months you can request one. I'm probably going to stick around until July, for the Leadership Casting Call. If I don't make it, I'm transferring.

Merchandise isn't bad at all, it's a lot of fun...most of the time. Then again, the Emporium is a lot different than the smaller stores in the parks.

:whew: Whew! Had me worried for a sec.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
:whew: Whew! Had me worried for a sec.

Heh, oh yeah. It's just a specific location problem. I'm going to tough it out until July when the Leadership Casting Call is. If I don't get it, I'll be at Casting the next day.

teamblackwell
05-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Heh, oh yeah. It's just a specific location problem. I'm going to tough it out until July when the Leadership Casting Call is. If I don't get it, I'll be at Casting the next day.

Is Leadership Casting Call a management training course?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Is Leadership Casting Call a management training course?

Sort of. You do need to be already working for Disney and basically, the LCC is a temporary assignment, or TA. You go to a location for 3 months or so as a leader, learn and gain the experience and if you did well and there are positions available, they will offer you a permanent salaried position. If not, you will return to your original location and will have to apply again.

trackbarroness
05-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Good Luck Jessica
Welcome to the family Harley-Davidson_Guy.

SpaceMtn101
05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Honestly unless you are working 50 plus hours a week and have someone else living with you who does not work at disney will you be able to make it. Housing down here is expensive. I know someone who has been working for over 2 years with the company and he still can barely afford to live even when living with two other people.
Also the union stinks! they dont do anything for cm's. Honestly you are paying them to do nothing to help you.
The experience you have there is based on the area you work and the managers you have. Not all areas care about the cms. It is all about the guests and sometimes managers make that known. From a personal experience i was attacked by a guest and my manager did NOTHING. It all depends if people care. If you work in attractions be ready to be yelled at for 101s, lines being too long, children being to small to ride if their is a height requirement and not having fastpass if it is a fastpass ride. Be prepared for mandatory 6 days and no appreciation. Rarely do you ever get a guest who thanxs you for their magical day.
If you are going just for the benefits and dont care of working for a good company then you will love it but if you expect respect and fair treatment i suggest you look for a job somewhere else.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow. you sound bitter. I would have to think that the way you are treated depends on who your managers are at every company. You can get treated badly by people even if you own your own company. I get talked down to by plenty of clients and we own our own business. Everyone has a bad day and feels like they can talk to you the way they want. You will run into it most anywhere.
This also goes the other way too. I've been coming to Disney since 1999 and I have had some CM's that I couldn't believe the way they treated guest. It goes both ways.
Well, I'm working there now so hopefully God placed me in a good location. :thumbsup:

joanna71985
05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
It may just be me, but over 3 years (and 3 different roles) I have had nothing but wonderful co-CMs and managers. I hope I am as lucky this summer.

SpaceMtn101
05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow. you sound bitter. I would have to think that the way you are treated depends on who your managers are at every company. You can get treated badly by people even if you own your own company. I get talked down to by plenty of clients and we own our own business. Everyone has a bad day and feels like they can talk to you the way they want. You will run into it most anywhere.
This also goes the other way too. I've been coming to Disney since 1999 and I have had some CM's that I couldn't believe the way they treated guest. It goes both ways.
Well, I'm working there now so hopefully God placed me in a good location. :thumbsup:

its NOT being bitter... but I sometimes think people dont understand what cms go through even other cms. If you have a good area then you will not understand if you had a bad area. I worked two different areas and we were SEVERLY understaffed and wouldnt even get breaks, rotations, and able to go to bathroom. This also cause us to be forced extended no matter how long our shift was.
Yes disney does have AMAZING perks that you couldnt get if you worked for them
As a cm I was greatful when i got a guest who understood what i was going through and tried to make my life easier nut the threats and actual getting hurt by guests werent worth the pay and having managers who didnt care either. I guess i had bad luck with where i was placed but hopefully you will have better luck.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Any problems with parking in the MK cast parking? Is it pretty safe? I'll be parking in the motorcycle parking area and that is right up front so hopefully they are pretty secure. I hear theft is a big problem in the Orlando area but anyone ever heard of bikes being stolen in the MK CM parking lot? Are you required to have a parking sticker?? Thanks

trackbarroness
05-18-2008, 03:36 AM
There's no parking stickers, you'll see cars with tags from out of state there. There are 2 areas that motorcycles can park, oh and there is also DU accross the Street also that you can park at. It's parking lot is the overflow for MK Cast parking. I personally haven't heard anything about a bike being stolen. Have you had traditions yet? :D If not your going to either love it or hate it. And since your a Disney fan your going to love it.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
SpaceMtn, I'm sorry your time at Disney was so horrible. I work the Emporium, we are in no way an easy location to work. We're always busy, we're always getting yelled at for anything and everything including ride 101's, characters and food. How does that relate to merchandise? It doesn't. You just smile and try to assist the Guest as best as possible. I also think that the CM's affect how their experience at Disney comes out. I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen here, I think that it's possible that you contributed a great deal to not enjoying your experience as a CM.

Even with all of the problems we are having now at work, I try not to let it affect how I am as a CM and I try to maintain a professional image onstage. The break room is another story, but my leaders, though I don't love a lot of my newer ones, have almost always backed us up in the case of physical issues, especially with the overzealous men who pin trade and have a habit of 'scooping' up our lanyards. Meaning, they grab a lot more than the lanyard.

I still love Disney, I still plan to work for them until they either force me to retire or until I die. I just take everything I learn, see, do, and hear as something I can improve for both our CM's and our Guests.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, I WAS excited about getting a pin lanyard. :hide2: until I read that! As odd as it sounds I really wanted a role were I could wear a pin lanyard. Granted when I was thinink this, I was thinking about small children trading pins. NOT creepy guys. Maybe I'll luck out and get a green lanyard. Honestly it never occured to me that adult men would be pin trading. I have read about aggressive adults pin trading but never really understood that. I see how fun it can be for the kids because it is like a game but I don't really get it for adults. I guess I'll have to be schooled on it. :read:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-18-2008, 01:18 PM
There's no parking stickers, you'll see cars with tags from out of state there. There are 2 areas that motorcycles can park, oh and there is also DU accross the Street also that you can park at. It's parking lot is the overflow for MK Cast parking. I personally haven't heard anything about a bike being stolen. Have you had traditions yet? :D If not your going to either love it or hate it. And since your a Disney fan your going to love it.

Traditions is on Thursday. I'm sure I will enjoy it. I actually liked the 10 min. intro film over at casting. Disney commercials and films give you a Halmark moment feeling. It's that sappy music. I'm trying to tie up loose ends around here because I'm sure life won't be the same after Thursday. We still have a storage facility to move out of before Wednesday. It has been non stop around here. The problem is that I am just tired of the whole moving process and don't feel much like moving any more boxes.
What should I expect to happen at Traditions? Is it basically how to talk to guest and background information about Disney. I assume you get your ID's too. I guess they cover all of this in just one day and then your off to training? I sure hope when the benifits kick in they will be better than what I'm paying now. I pay about $500 mo. just for heath insurance and it isn't all that great of a coverage. It seems like anything that I want to have done isn't covered. Makes you wonder what good it is but you never know.

joanna71985
05-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, I WAS excited about getting a pin lanyard. :hide2: until I read that! As odd as it sounds I really wanted a role were I could wear a pin lanyard. Granted when I was thinink this, I was thinking about small children trading pins. NOT creepy guys. Maybe I'll luck out and get a green lanyard. Honestly it never occured to me that adult men would be pin trading. I have read about aggressive adults pin trading but never really understood that. I see how fun it can be for the kids because it is like a game but I don't really get it for adults. I guess I'll have to be schooled on it. :read:

I am so happy that not only do I have a green lanyard, but a hip lanyard. It makes pin trading so much more enjoyable for me (especially for the reasons Jessica listed).

tmosier
05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I love this thread! I've gleaned tons of information from all of you, but I have two questions.

First, does anyone know about layoffs? Is this common with Disney? Do you get much notice?

Second, is there a place where I could see photos of all WDW uniforms? Some kind of catalog maybe?

Thanks for your help!

SpaceMtn101
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM
SpaceMtn, I'm sorry your time at Disney was so horrible. I work the Emporium, we are in no way an easy location to work. We're always busy, we're always getting yelled at for anything and everything including ride 101's, characters and food. How does that relate to merchandise? It doesn't. You just smile and try to assist the Guest as best as possible. I also think that the CM's affect how their experience at Disney comes out. I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen here, I think that it's possible that you contributed a great deal to not enjoying your experience as a CM.

Even with all of the problems we are having now at work, I try not to let it affect how I am as a CM and I try to maintain a professional image onstage. The break room is another story, but my leaders, though I don't love a lot of my newer ones, have almost always backed us up in the case of physical issues, especially with the overzealous men who pin trade and have a habit of 'scooping' up our lanyards. Meaning, they grab a lot more than the lanyard.

I still love Disney, I still plan to work for them until they either force me to retire or until I die. I just take everything I learn, see, do, and hear as something I can improve for both our CM's and our Guests.

i still love going to Disney and do it as much as i can. It honestly just becomes hard when your managers dont back you and let guests attack you in a physical manner.
Yes there were those guests that made it special and maybe one day i might work there again but it would be as a sign language interpreter where i can be more a part of the guest expierence and not dealing with the managers who have no respect for their cast.
i know that not every area is easy but it gets hard day in and day out with no respect. Im happy that you have an area where there is a little more respect than where i was...
btw i work emporium on light duty with an injured ankle and everyone was so nice that worked that area.
I know a job is what you make it but when it doesnt become enjoyable then its not a great place to work. I just want people to know that not every area is nice. There are areas where you dont get any respect and ppl over you could care less. I guess i come from a background where you treat others the way you want to be treated. I currently work as an assistant manager and thats how i treat my staff.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I love this thread! I've gleaned tons of information from all of you, but I have two questions.

First, does anyone know about layoffs? Is this common with Disney? Do you get much notice?

Second, is there a place where I could see photos of all WDW uniforms? Some kind of catalog maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh man, that was good. I loved that.

I wish there was a catalog.

As for layoffs, I think there's really only been one time in which Disney laid off a lot of people which was after 9/11, or rather, gave many of them the option of leaving since it was minimum hours. Someone who knows more than me could probably clarify.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Good question about the costumes! That is the first thing I thought of when I was asked which land I wanted to work in. I quickly tried to think of all of the costumes. I would like to be a wench over in POC :sail: But I figured it would be a little weird asking to be placed somewhere because of the costume.:blush::funny:

joanna71985
05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Trust me, the POTC costumes are horrible! They are so thick and heavy. I hated wearing them. I was sweltering in the summer.

AnnetteFan
05-19-2008, 10:23 PM
For me, Disney has always been everything it was cracked up to be when it came to the guests and the actual interaction you have with them and the magic you get to make. Nothing out there could ever compare to that and even the occasional rude or angry guest has never changed my feeling on that subject. For every guest that causes you a problem there are at least ten that made your day.

What breaks my heart is the way the company is run and the way you're treated by management. I've had plenty of other jobs and I've never been treated as poorly by management at any of those jobs as I have at Disney on a regular basis. Disney views you as replaceable which is really shame because there are so many great CM's who aren't replaceable. People who have a true passion for what they do and love it but can't handle being reduced to a being just a number or a nametag. It's really awful to me because Disney has the resources to go above and beyond for their CM's and they don't do it.

It was especially noticeable once I started in entertainment. It's perfectly normal the way kids and even grown up guests treat you like a robot, the idea of their favorite Disney cartoon is so engrained in their minds and hearts that they have a very hard realizing that you're a real person under all the fluff'n'stuff and that's actually kind of refreshing when you think about it. But management knows you're human and they should treat you as such and they don't. Expecting you to work injured, putting you in dangerous situations, scheduling you for unrealistic hours. (I'm no slacker but having a 22-hour shift scheduled in a physically demanding job was a little over the top.) And to me the people that really get hurt in the long run are the guests because Disney just can't maintain high quality CM's when they treat them poorly.

At the end of the day working at Disney is still a dream come true for me. It's honestly all I've ever wanted to do and my long term career goals are with the company, one day I want to be that one in a million manager that truly cares and can make a difference, because don't get me wrong, they are out there. But I have been pretty disillusioned when it comes to the company. But I've never lost my love for the actual experiance of working there.

DisneyFanaticDargon
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Not working in Entertainment I can't speak for them, however, working in Attractions, especially Frontierland Attractions at Magic Kingdom, I had an AMAZING management team. On a daily basis my management team would constantly ask me if I needed anything, if I was having any problems, or just asked me how my day was going. Being a CP intern they would often ask me if I wanted to go further in the company and then offer advice on how to do it. 4 of my managers had previously done the college program as a matter of fact.

I loved every day of my job and never felt mistreated. Sure, the pay was terrible, but as far as my future hopes for a job with Disney are concerned I don't plan to be forever at an hourly rate.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Hey Jessica, I thought of you today while at Traditions! I did learn a thing or two but the policy part was :sleepin: I earned a Snow White, Daisy Duck and a Minnie Mouse! :yay: It was a lot of fun getting to know the people at my table. Tomorrow is Core and Saturday is the Once Upon a time is Now tour. I can't wait for the tour. Although it will seem odd walking through the park with out my family. :cry:

joanna71985
05-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Jessica, I thought of you today while at Traditions! I did learn a thing or two but the policy part was :sleepin: I earned a Snow White, Daisy Duck and a Minnie Mouse! :yay: It was a lot of fun getting to know the people at my table. Tomorrow is Core and Saturday is the Once Upon a time is Now tour. I can't wait for the tour. Although it will seem odd walking through the park with out my family. :cry:

You're doing Once Upon a Time is Now on Sat?!?! Me too!!! I can't wait, though I don't look forward to arriving at 7am.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
You're doing Once Upon a Time is Now on Sat?!?! Me too!!! I can't wait, though I don't look forward to arriving at 7am.

No way! Yep, I'm supposed to meet @ 7am on Sat. @ Disney Univ. That is certainly early for me. I was doing good to make it there today by 7:15 and I only live 5 minutes away! I'll look for you. What city is on your tag? I'm Karyn / Windermere, FL.
What and where is MS North Foods?

joanna71985
05-22-2008, 11:37 PM
No way! Yep, I'm supposed to meet @ 7am on Sat. @ Disney Univ. That is certainly early for me. I was doing good to make it there today by 7:15 and I only live 5 minutes away! I'll look for you. What city is on your tag? I'm Karyn / Windermere, FL.
What and where is MS North Foods?

My nametag says Joanna/Montclair State Univ.

I am doing Main Street North foods. According to my recruiter, it includes Casey's and the Ice Cream Parlor/Bakery. I really hope he is right.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Have fun on the tour guys! I loved it!

Be sure to visit the Emporium (even though I am off that day! Maybe I'll go visit the park early and try to sneak in the tour! Then we can have our own little Intercot tour!

joanna71985
05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Have fun on the tour guys! I loved it!

Be sure to visit the Emporium (even though I am off that day! Maybe I'll go visit the park early and try to sneak in the tour! Then we can have our own little Intercot tour!

Haha!:D

We should definitely do that one day, though.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Sounds like fun! We should definitely get together one day. :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Definately.

We need to find the others too, who are elusive and hiding at WDW. I know there are more CM's on Intercot than just us!

AwPhooey
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a question about working at WDW that hopefully someone can answer.

How easy is it to live on your own while working at WDW and making close to minimum wage pay? Is it possible or do almost all single people who work at WDW have room mates?

I'm thinking about moving down to the Orlando area and getting a job with Disney, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to afford living there. I realize that most people don't work at WDW for the money (which I think is great!), but do many people have second jobs just to get by or is it possible to manage with a WDW job?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Many people work second jobs, or work FT and pick up extra hours. If you find the right place, I think you can easily live on your own while working at Disney. I'll be moving into my own apt sometime next year. I'll let you know how that goes.

AwPhooey
05-23-2008, 06:18 PM
That's good to know :)

I have a couple more questions for all of the CMs... if you work FT, what are the typically number of hours worked in a week? Is it a standard 40 and overtime/extra after that or does overtime/extra start after something like 50?

Also, I called the casting number today to get an idea of what is available (I realize it changes from day to day) and one of the jobs was Monorail. Does anyone know what kind of hours are worked by Monorail drivers? Also, what requirements are there for that job?

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh, my gosh, I have heard so much about monorail lately. My husband kept telling me to apply for monorail. I should never, ever, ever drive anything. I'll admit that. I was told by someone who started in monorail that that is a great place to work. She said it was a lot of nights but I'm not sure how that would be any different than the parks but I guess she would know if she worked there. There was a guy in our class yesterday that had been hired for monorail. He was really young. Looked to be barely 18. I said that sounded exciting and he just shrugged and said they told him that was the only thing available. They say it is pretty easy and airconditioned on the inside.
I love to ride the monorail but driving it just isn't me!:mickey:

AnnetteFan
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
If you're fulltime the minimum they can schedule is 32 hours and there's really no max. Anything past 40 hours is overtime and so are any hours past 8 in one shift which is kind of a pretty good deal.

I would think it would be very difficult to live in Orlando on your own on Disney pay. Rent is pretty expensive in most places and so is having to pay utilities without splitting it. I'm sure it's doable but it can't be easy and would probably involve a lot of overtime.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-24-2008, 12:48 AM
I think it depends, there are a lot of places near property that aren't horrible on pricing. There are also a lot of places that are further and a lot cheaper.

Mystic Pointe and Buena Vista Place are both around $600 for a one bed. That's pretty good by Florida standards. I paid $875 for a 1/1 in Boca Raton.

AwPhooey
05-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Thank you all for the answers!

How often does Disney give raises to their employees? Annually? More often? Less often?

Also, what opportunities are there to move into a management position after working at WDW for a while? Typically, how long do you have to work at WDW before these opportunities are available?

AnnetteFan
05-24-2008, 02:19 AM
I think it depends, there are a lot of places near property that aren't horrible on pricing. There are also a lot of places that are further and a lot cheaper.

Mystic Pointe and Buena Vista Place are both around $600 for a one bed. That's pretty good by Florida standards. I paid $875 for a 1/1 in Boca Raton.

I think it also depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice for a cheap place, I wouldn't live at Buena Vista Place even if rent was free on account of how I'm not a fan of getting robbed, that place is extremely sketchy and I won't even walk to my car alone when I'm visiting friends there. And with gas prices being so outrageous right now living a good distance from WDW wouldn't really save you much in the end.

There are cheap places in Orlando, but there's definetly a reason they're cheap so it's really about what someones priorities are, if it's more important for you to have a place to yourself that you don't mind if it isn't the nicest apartment or best area, you could probably find something inexpensive.

AnnetteFan
05-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Thank you all for the answers!

How often does Disney give raises to their employees? Annually? More often? Less often?

Also, what opportunities are there to move into a management position after working at WDW for a while? Typically, how long do you have to work at WDW before these opportunities are available?

I have no idea about the raises.

Management depends, there have been some people who have worked in the company forever and moved up slowly and then there are some who can get into management within a year. I'm not sure your age or your status on college but I think the best way to get into management at Disney is through their Professional Internships in the College Program, I've met very few managers who didn't get their start in managment by starting with an internship. And the people I've known who have tried to get into management without an internship had a much tougher time going about it.

joanna71985
05-24-2008, 05:48 AM
I think it also depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice for a cheap place, I wouldn't live at Buena Vista Place even if rent was free on account of how I'm not a fan of getting robbed, that place is extremely sketchy and I won't even walk to my car alone when I'm visiting friends there. And with gas prices being so outrageous right now living a good distance from WDW wouldn't really save you much in the end.

Is Buena Vista Place really that bad?

KineGirl
05-24-2008, 06:48 AM

Hi! :wave: I was just "reading through" and I just wanted to let you know my perspective - that of a 35 yo woman, on why I LOVE pin trading... Something I only do with CMs b/c the grown ups (usually men for some reason)want to trade with me usually seem to be some sort of pin shark. (booo) Although I keep pins special for kids who want to trade with me too.

-I really enjoy the collecting the pins (theyre the right price to get 20 or so each trip and makes collecting easy)
- wearing lanyards and trading pins makes me feel extra Disney like Tigger ears, Princess shirts, Pal Mickey or character backpacks
-being a repeat repeat World hopper it gives me something new to do and look for each trip -though I go with nothing specific in mind.

I have a full pin book, several lanyards plus framed collections but the real fun outside of how cool the pins are, is interacting with you! Part of the reason I love WDW is because the CMs are so friendly and diverse. Be it a Patty from NJ or a Bill from TX .. youre all pretty cool to talk to and pins give me a way to interact! I wont deny that I keep my eye out for hidden mickey pins or CM exclusives but Ill just as likely trade for anything Cinderella, villain or Tigger and I almost always trade back "good" (non starter) pins. I like the idea of possibly passing on something special to the next person. Ive always asked female CMs if I can look at their lanyard because being a girl myself it just seems wierd to have someone come up and stare at your chest! LOL And I would never touch or grab. Anyhoo I just wanted to let you know why some big ppl like to trade and to let you know that we're not all groping wierdos out there! Congrats on your new Disney job! (My Mom is a CM at SSR) Have alot of fun in TL and maybe we'll see you there and we can pin trade in July! :mickey:

AnnetteFan
05-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Is Buena Vista Place really that bad?

To me it is, maybe someone who grew up in a bigger city like Orlando might not find it as scary as I do but it makes me very nervous. There are always people just hanging out in the parking lot in the middle of the night, I've gotten cat calls walking too and from my car. It's very noisy at night and I just find the whole area to be iffy. As long as I live in Orlando I will always try to live in a gated community. Orlando has a very high crime rate in general.

Main Street Jim
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Mystic Pointe and Buena Vista Place are both around $600 for a one bed. That's pretty good by Florida standards. Mystic I and II, along with Buena Vista Place and a few others close by, are all "rent-controlled" or "government-subsidized", meaning you can only make so much money per year depending on how many people are in the place. My ex-wife and I were BOTH working full-time-plus at the park and still barely making enough to keep our place. When she left three years ago, I had to find roommates to move in, and even then, we still had a hard time getting it all paid, and I've been with the compnay full-time now for five years. My current girlfriend and I moved in together in 2006 in Mystic Pointe, lost that place because we still couldn't afford it on two incomes, and moved to another "rent-controlled" place. We lost that place as well (of course, it didn't help that I was "fired" for six months last year, with her working 70+ hours a week and me collecting unemployment while I had to wait to fight my termination....that's another story....), and now we're BACK in another roommate situation that ain't workin' out, but it ain't the money this time.

Like I said, I've been with the company full-time for exactly five years this month, and still "only" making less than $10.00 an hour. Yes, there are annual raises because of the union contract, but those raises are good for the next two years until the new contract comes up.

"Old-school" WDW Cast - those who've been there for more than ten years - are the ones who afford to make it on their own. If you want to work here, you have be prepared to make it on $6.72 an hour to start or whatever it is now (it was $6.35 when I started...) and want to work a lot of night shifts if you want to work in the parks ;) Scheduling is done on a seniority basis, which is why I get my day shifts - I was #22 on a list of 172 for Tomorrowland Cast when we did scheduling bids last week ;)

You have to REALLY love this place to work here :D:mickey:

joanna71985
05-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Harley-Davidson_Guy, it was great meeting you today!

You have to REALLY love this place to work here :D:mickey:

That will be me!!!:D

AwPhooey
05-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the information. While it's making my decision considerably more difficult, I'm far more informed than I would have been without all of you!

I have one last question... what about administrative "desk" jobs? How does one apply for those? Are they "listed" at the casting center or do you have to apply online via the Disney Careers site?

I have a number of years' experience with computers (particularly programming), so I was wondering how the application process for such a job works. I assume those type of jobs are better pay, but I may be wrong :)

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Harley-Davidson_Guy, it was great meeting you today!

That will be me!!!:D

Thanks Joanna! It was nice to meet you too and finally putting a face to a name.

Today has worn me out though :sleepin:

joanna71985
05-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks Joanna! It was nice to meet you too and finally putting a face to a name.

Today has worn me out though :sleepin:

Me too!!:)

Tomorrow is supposed to stink. I work til 1:45am!!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks KineGirl! I feel like I understand a little more about it. That makes me feel good because I have been on the other side for years with my kids and now I'm a CM. When my kids got into the trading we would go on ebay and buy 25 pins for each of the kids and just let them trade away. I know how important finding the perfect pin is for a kid. It was fun looking at all of the CM lanyards. Most of the time my kids were too shy to ask to see their lanyard so I would ask for them. I always felt like I was bothering the CM but usually I wasn't made to feel as though I was bothering them. Hopefully I get my lanyard tomorrow.

Look for me in Tomorrowland I'll be somewhere in merchandise. :shop:

AnnetteFan
05-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the information. While it's making my decision considerably more difficult, I'm far more informed than I would have been without all of you!

I have one last question... what about administrative "desk" jobs? How does one apply for those? Are they "listed" at the casting center or do you have to apply online via the Disney Careers site?

I have a number of years' experience with computers (particularly programming), so I was wondering how the application process for such a job works. I assume those type of jobs are better pay, but I may be wrong :)

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Administrative jobs are listed on the website, I have no idea about how well they pay though.

Main Street Jim
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
what about administrative "desk" jobs? How does one apply for those?That would be under "O & T" (Office and Technical). I'm not sure if they would be listed at the Casting Center, or on the Disney Careers Web site or what. These types of jobs, I believe, are hourly, but they only give you a straight 40 hours a week. You are not able to pick up any overtime in O & T.

One of the great things about working for the Mouse...you can work just about anywhere you want. Tired of dealing with guests all day at an attraction? Move to Admin. Don't like the Contemporary? Transfer to Wilderness Lodge. Your favorite park is Epcot and your favorite attraction is Test Track, but you're stuck working Food/Beverage at Studios? Put in that transfer ;) Wanna be a electrician? Go for the apprenticeship. I've worked at Splash Mountain, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer Island, Main Street Vehicles, Main Street Parade Control, Turnstiles at MK, Conductor and Engineer on the Walt Disney World Raidlroad, and now in Tomorrowland at the Speedway. I've already put in my request to get trained at one of my favorite attractions, and one that means a LOT to the history of not only MK, but to the Walt Disney Company: Carousel of Progress. Problem is, it's part of the "Buzz complex" for Tomorrowland, which means I also have to get trained at Buzz and Monsters, Inc....LOL...

When you apply and then get selected to work here, you can ask to work just about anywhere. You get three choices of "general" categories, like "Theme park", "Resorts", "Food/Beverage", etc. Then, you can select up to three of *those* choices: (Contemporary, Polynesian, All-Stars). If you select a park, you can select up to three "lands". Then, you narrow *that* down to attractions/locations. When I first applied, I selected "MK/Tomorrowland/Speedway" (and look where I'm at now :)); my second choice was "MK/Main Street/Vehicles". You have options ;)

joanna71985
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I've worked at Splash Mountain, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer Island, Main Street Vehicles, Main Street Parade Control, Turnstiles at MK, Conductor and Engineer on the Walt Disney World Raidlroad, and now in Tomorrowland at the Speedway. I've already put in my request to get trained at one of my favorite attractions, and one that means a LOT to the history of not only MK, but to the Walt Disney Company: Carousel of Progress. Problem is, it's part of the "Buzz complex" for Tomorrowland, which means I also have to get trained at Buzz and Monsters, Inc....LOL...

Wow! And I thought I worked in a lot of areas.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh, my goodness am so I tired!:dizzy: Today was my 2nd day of training and it is a lot of work. Oh, yeah. :shop: It wasn't too busy this morning and not all that exciting inside the store but I had a lot of fun at a most unlikly spot at the end of the day.
As a guest, I absolutely hate those things that they pull and shoot air at you. I have no idea what they are called but they are big and plastic. There is a cart where they play with these all day long and shoot air at everyone in sight. Well, my trainer shot me with it when I wasn't looking and she thought it was funny (not knowing my distain for these things). I told her (while smiling :D ,of course) I would return the favor at another time. Well, she was talking to another CM with her back to me and I decided that the time had come that I try out the air blaster. :plot: Timing was everything! I pulled up the scope and pulled back the cord, she stepped side ways and POW :funny: I laughed so hard and she did too (good thing). :thumbsup: Her hair blew straight up. It was a lot of fun to watch them shoot the guest as they walk buy. :haha:

joanna71985
05-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Whew! I'm tired too. But today is my assessment! Hopefully it goes well.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Is Patterson the new apartments?

I'm sure you'll do well Joanna!

I'm working tonight 5:15-midnight so I'll try to peak around the back areas and see if I can spot you!

joanna71985
05-27-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm working tonight 5:15-midnight so I'll try to peak around the back areas and see if I can spot you!

Yes, Patterson is the new complex. It's pretty nice!

Thanks Jessica! I am off at 7:30, so maybe I will hunt around the Emporium looking for you.:)

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM

:here: I've found that finding someone back there is next to impossible!

I tried to find my trainer yesterday to tell her I was being sent to costumes but I couldn't find her. The thread fell out of the back of my sleeve and low and behold after I got home yesterday I had another costume that had the hem fall out under the sleeve. Is it me?
I gave up and just went over to costuming. I figured the manager said to go so I better go and explain to her later. Somoeone told me they would tell her but never caught up with her either. I came back a half hour later and she said she was so worried and thought I threw in the towel and went home. :(
By the way, I already have a .5 point on my record and it wasn't my fault. They told me they fixed my time so I would't have a problem. We waited for another trainee the other day which caused me to clock in late. I was early. My trainer even checked again at the end ofthe night and they said it was corrected. NOT! The problem is that I know what the manger looked like but dont' know her name. I guess I just tell them when I go back. :confused:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok, well I think I have fixed the problem with the point. The manager I talked to tonight said she would get it fixed.
I had to call and find a manager tonight because we received a call that MIL was rushed to the hospital and wasn't expected to make it through the night. I have only been in training for 2 days so I didn't know how Disney would handle it or what my options would be. The manager was so kind and called me back to tell me that as a full time CM I am entitled to berevement. I was amazed because I haven't even been there a week. She said I could finish my training when I return. Aren't the people at Disney great?
This is all very odd because I just lost my mom 3 weeks ago, just a week after we moved here. Your prayers would be appreciated. Thanks, Karyn

joanna71985
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh no! Prayers to you Karyn!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Many thanks! We are flying out tonight.

ResQRanger82
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

When I saw this thread, I couldn't help but post. I just decided yesterday to call casting and I have my appointment Friday morning!!! :D It's been a call many years in the making!

Does anyone think they will be willing to give me two to three weeks before starting? :confused: I have to give my current job some notice and head up to Chicago for family stuff for a bit. I know I could have waited, but I was too excited to get started.

Anywho, I just can't believe that I'm actually going to Casting for an interview :mickey:

KineGirl
05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
So Joanna... are you at Caseys? :bar: How are you liking it?

joanna71985
05-29-2008, 02:31 AM
So Joanna... are you at Caseys? :bar: How are you liking it?

I love it! It is a lot of fun there.:)

AnnetteFan
05-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi all,

When I saw this thread, I couldn't help but post. I just decided yesterday to call casting and I have my appointment Friday morning!!! :D It's been a call many years in the making!

Does anyone think they will be willing to give me two to three weeks before starting? :confused: I have to give my current job some notice and head up to Chicago for family stuff for a bit. I know I could have waited, but I was too excited to get started.

Anywho, I just can't believe that I'm actually going to Casting for an interview :mickey:

I'm pretty sure they're able to schedule your traditions date to whenever you say you're available.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Congratulations to you HarleyDavidsonGuy on your new job at WDW! I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

I have a question too. My husband and I met back when we worked at Six Flags Over Texas when we were in High school. We have often talked about going to work for Disney when we reach retirement age. My question to all of you CM's, do you lose that absolute Magical feeling by working there?

I am not trying to be negative. It's is just that I can remember feeling like Six Flags was a little less special after working there. Of course, I know comparing Six Flags and Disney is like comparing apples and oranges.

Please tell me you feel just like you did the first time you ever walked into the parks. I would always want to experience that feeling when I go to the most Magical place on Earth.

joanna71985
05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a question too. My husband and I met back when we worked at Six Flags Over Texas when we were in High school. We have often talked about going to work for Disney when we reach retirement age. My question to all of you CM's, do you lose that absolute Magical feeling by working there?

Nope. I love working at Disney. It is awsome getting to make magic for guests. This is where I want to work for good when I am done with school.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks Texas Tink! For me I would have to say that there is nothing in the world like the first time you vistit WDW. It is still magical but going there alone now with out my family does take a bit of the magic away. But there are parts of working there that are magical in their own way that you can only get to experiance by being a CM. I have always gotten a kick out of seeing my kids experiance WDW and now I get to also see people who have never been there experiance it for the first time. That is exciting because I remember what it was like as a guest. So I guess my answer is yes and no.
I'd rather not going in the tunnels. Let's just leave it at that!:( I wish I could close my eyes until I get to the other end. :covered:

AnnetteFan
05-31-2008, 04:49 PM
I've never lost that magic. I get teary eyed over the castle show, sometimes I just stand in the middle of Mainstreet and just stare at the whole place in wonder.
I really thought when I started being friends with the characters that it would ruin a little something for me and luckily it didn't. I've never gotten over the amazement of what I get to do. One day I was in a location that had a mirror on the wall and I looked at myself when I was fully dressed and I just couldn't get over it. I called my sister after work and I said, "Guess what I just realized today? I'm (friends with) Mickey Mouse!" This was after ten months of working in entertainment.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I went to Casting yesterday and put in my transfer request. My first choice is Entertainment so I get to go to the audition on Thursday. If not, my back up choices were Attractions - Adventureland/Liberty Square(POTC and HM) and Sunset Blvd (Tower of Terror), as well as Main Street Ops.

I'm hoping more than anything I get Entertainment. Man, would I love to get that. Just gotta stand really tall to get up to at least 5'6 by Disney standards (they said I was 5'5 1/2).

Wish me luck!!

joanna71985
06-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I went to Casting yesterday and put in my transfer request. My first choice is Entertainment so I get to go to the audition on Thursday. If not, my back up choices were Attractions - Adventureland/Liberty Square(POTC and HM) and Sunset Blvd (Tower of Terror), as well as Main Street Ops.

I'm hoping more than anything I get Entertainment. Man, would I love to get that. Just gotta stand really tall to get up to at least 5'6 by Disney standards (they said I was 5'5 1/2).

Wish me luck!!

Good luck!!!

What about character attendant though?

Young@Heart
06-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Karyn, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

I've loved reading this thread. I know, at this time, there's no way DH and I could support our 3 kids w/ jobs at WDW. :( Unless the fact that he's a manager in a retail chain would help him get a higher paying position (which I tend to doubt).

But when we're old and retired, this is my dream! I'd love to spend my years, after my DC have grown and started their own families, w/ DH, working at WDW and making other families' vacation dreams come true. :cloud9:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Good luck!!!

What about character attendant though?

Thanks! And yeah....attendant was a strong possibility....until I totally forgot to tell them that at Casting. Which was definitely my mistake. Like...it completely left my mind for some unknown reason. I might let them know at Auditions if I don't make it (since they give you other options afterwards).

kakn7294
06-01-2008, 06:25 AM

Wish me luck!!Good luck Jessica! Here's hoping you get your wish! :pixie:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I've never lost that magic. I get teary eyed over the castle show, sometimes I just stand in the middle of Mainstreet and just stare at the whole place in wonder.
I really thought when I started being friends with the characters that it would ruin a little something for me and luckily it didn't. I've never gotten over the amazement of what I get to do. One day I was in a location that had a mirror on the wall and I looked at myself when I was fully dressed and I just couldn't get over it. I called my sister after work and I said, "Guess what I just realized today? I'm (friends with) Mickey Mouse!" This was after ten months of working in entertainment.

Oh, I am so glad to hear the magic is still there for all of you! Best wishes to you all, especially in your upcoming auditions. Hope to see you there when I retire. :mickey:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Young@heart! It has been a tough month. The funeral was yesterday. The flight back home arrives @ 10pm and I am due back at MK at 8am. But we will all be happy to get home.

Good luck Jessica!!!!

joanna71985
06-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks! And yeah....attendant was a strong possibility....until I totally forgot to tell them that at Casting. Which was definitely my mistake. Like...it completely left my mind for some unknown reason. I might let them know at Auditions if I don't make it (since they give you other options afterwards).

Ah, ok. Good luck!

Thanks Young@heart! It has been a tough month. The funeral was yesterday. The flight back home arrives @ 10pm and I am due back at MK at 8am. But we will all be happy to get home.

I am so sorry to hear that. *hugs*

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Many thanks Joanna!:mickey:

smatterchu
06-02-2008, 03:51 AM
This is my first post on the boards, but I am both new to Intercot and WDW CM's. :mickey:

I just went through Traditions on the 27th, and I'll start training in my area on Wednesday!!

I'll be working as a Photographer with PhotoPass in DHS (Hollywood Studios).

I'm anxious - for sure. Like many of you, I'm not sure what to expect. Every department and section is different, so I'm hoping that I'll be a 'good fit'.

They didn't get us set up on 'The Hub' after Traditions :boo: so I'm really looking forward to getting that handled first-thing. I was hoping to be able to look around this weekend, but it wasn't meant to be.

It's great to see so many CM's on here - although I'm surprised that there aren't more of us. I'll be sure to look for you all when I'm in the parks on my days off. I'll be taking my boys to MK at least once more before the FL blackout dates. I love the chili at Caseys, and the boys always love the shops, lol...

Anyway - just wanted to jump in and say Hi. I appreciate all of the great advice and info you have shared in this thread.

Looking forward to meeting you all!!

smatterchu
06-02-2008, 04:00 AM

Good luck Jessica!!!!

HDG, I sure am sorry to read about all you've been through. My sympathies for both your Mom and MIL. What a difficult month - on top of moving and starting a new job...

Hopefully, things will settle down for you now...

joanna71985
06-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Many thanks Joanna!:mickey:

You are welcome.:)

This is my first post on the boards, but I am both new to Intercot and WDW CM's. :mickey:

I just went through Traditions on the 27th, and I'll start training in my area on Wednesday!!

I'm anxious - for sure. Like many of you, I'm not sure what to expect. Every department and section is different, so I'm hoping that I'll be a 'good fit'.

They didn't get us set up on 'The Hub' after Traditions :boo: so I'm really looking forward to getting that handled first-thing. I was hoping to be able to look around this weekend, but it wasn't meant to be.

It's great to see so many CM's on here - although I'm surprised that there aren't more of us. I'll be sure to look for you all when I'm in the parks on my days off. I'll be taking my boys to MK at least once more before the FL blackout dates. I love the chili at Caseys, and the boys always love the shops, lol...

Anyway - just wanted to jump in and say Hi. I appreciate all of the great advice and info you have shared in this thread.

Looking forward to meeting you all!!

Welcome!!:thumbsup:

bleukarma
06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Harley Davidson Guy I'm sorry to hear about your mom and MIL. It must be very stressful on you with a new move and new job. But it sounds like you are making some good intercot CM friends! I always thought that intercot should have a CM section. Looks like your thread became the unofficial section! I'm glad to hear things at WDW are working out!

Capt. Jessica Sparrow, good luck on your audition!!! It will be odd to not think of you as working at the Emporium.

I am in Cincinnati for the summer but when I come back down to Florida (I have a house I am trying to sell in Brandon) I am seriously thinking of making the plunge and moving closer to WDW and working there. I think I would rather work outside of the parks though, because I am afraid of losing the magic. I would love to work for a resort.

I am trying to get into training at Kings Island up here and I asked them if I could work two positions and the lady said "no...I don't think so...that would be hard!" I thought to myself "you don't know me!" I have always been used to working two jobs. I am kind of a work-a-holic so 40 hours a week is little to me. My question is: can you work two positions at WDW? Or can you work FT at one position and pick up extra hours in another?

Thanks for the great thread! It's interesting reading about everyones behind the scenes experience as a WDW CM! :mickey:

AnnetteFan
06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
It's pretty rare to be cross trained in two completly different jobs although I've known a few people who were. But what you can do is get hired for something specific and then pick up overtime on the extra hours hotline, which is just a list of extra shifts offered in random departments and for a lot of those shifts you don't have to have training in that department. So say you're attractions trained you can pick up shifts doing Parade Audience Control or you can pick up Quick Serve Restaurant shifts.

Or say you got trained in a department and then transfered to a different department 6 months later, your original training would still be good and you'd still be able to pick up shifts in that department even if you were statused to another.

But you can't usually be simutanously trained for two seperate departments if that's what you were asking. I hope my explanation made sense. In any event, overtime is rarely a problem at Disney except for the slower times of year.

smatterchu
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
But what you can do is get hired for something specific and then pick up overtime on the extra hours hotline, which is just a list of extra shifts offered in random departments and for a lot of those shifts you don't have to have training in that department. So say you're attractions trained you can pick up shifts doing Parade Audience Control or you can pick up Quick Serve Restaurant shifts.

Thanks for the info...

So, say I start my first day tomorrow (which I do). I have several days of training here at first. After that, is there any waiting period before I can take a 'Parade Audience Control' shift?

If my 'location' is DHS (Hollywood Studios), can I only take PAC shifts at DHS, or can I take parade shifts at any park?

Costumes... If I have my alloted 3 costumes for my photographer job, how would I go about getting set up for PAC? I know that those folks have totally different costumes...

Thanks, guys, for all of the help and encouragement!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-04-2008, 12:57 AM
So, say I start my first day tomorrow (which I do). I have several days of training here at first. After that, is there any waiting period before I can take a 'Parade Audience Control' shift?

You can pick up shifts immediately after completeing training as long as there are no other requirements. This is true of any shifts, including Merchandise, QSR, Special Events, and Attractions.

If my 'location' is DHS (Hollywood Studios), can I only take PAC shifts at DHS, or can I take parade shifts at any park?

Nope, you can pick shifts up from anywhere on property, as long as you meet the requirements.

Costumes... If I have my alloted 3 costumes for my photographer job, how would I go about getting set up for PAC? I know that those folks have totally different costumes...

You can either get a special one-day issue, or return one of your other costumes to have one set aside for PAC. For me, I always have two costumes - one in my locker, one in my car. That way if I ever need a change or need a costume for a different role, I have one space available.

For me - I still have my training in QSR so I technically could pick up shifts in QSR (not that I want to). I can also pick up any merchandise shift, regardless of resort or park. Once I get attractions and/or character performer, I can pick up pretty much any shift I want.

bleukarma
06-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys! That was a lot of help! It sounds like I will have no problem working over 40 hours a week at WDW!

Another question - Captain Jessica Sparrow, I notice that you got to school also. Does Disney help pay for it or is it all out of your pocket?

Also, I have a degree in Broadcasting. How hard is it to get a job doing the behind the scenes stage work, like for the Lion King show or the Nemo show? I know at Busch Gardens I would have to audition. I assume at WDW it falls under entertainment, but I don't know.

Thanks for all the great advice! Great Thread! :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
For college, I can apply for reimbursement for up to two classes if they pertain to hospitality. I just forget to apply every year.

tmosier
06-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Does Disney train you for that job or were you already qualified?

AnnetteFan
06-05-2008, 02:55 AM

When the photopass position first began Disney was seeking trained photographers but now they don't care if you lack experiance, they train you and the cameras are pretty fool proof.

tmosier
06-05-2008, 09:03 AM
....For me - I still have my training in QSR so I technically could pick up shifts in QSR (not that I want to).

What is QSR--- quick service restaurant?

smatterchu
06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

When the photopass position first began Disney was seeking trained photographers but now they don't care if you lack experiance, they train you and the cameras are pretty fool proof.

:thumbsup: Yup, I happen to have photography experience (I was a Tech Writer/Trainer before I had kids), but there is a whole training process for every new hire.

You do need to be comfortable with technology and guest interaction.

There is lots of training for both...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
What is QSR--- quick service restaurant?

Yep - Quick Service Restaurant. It's the technical and formal name of Fast Food.

joanna71985
06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
For me - I still have my training in QSR so I technically could pick up shifts in QSR (not that I want to). I can also pick up any merchandise shift, regardless of resort or park. Once I get attractions and/or character performer, I can pick up pretty much any shift I want.

I can still pick up attendant shifts, custodial shifts (not that I plan on it- it was ok, but not something I would do again), and now QSFB shifts. I definitely will be doing CA, and I may pick up for QSFB (I would love to do a Fant foods shift).

Hey Jessica- question. When I get Matra trained for QSFB, will that allow me to pick up merch shifts that don't require merchantainment?

tmosier
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
It's been a few days since the new Disney CMs have posted. Any updates for us?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey Jessica- question. When I get Matra trained for QSFB, will that allow me to pick up merch shifts that don't require merchantainment?

You will be able to, yes. You really don't need the Merchantainment class - we never use it. It's just the technical title for our position. You can also pick up support positions, which are the stock ones.

joanna71985
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
You will be able to, yes. You really don't need the Merchantainment class - we never use it. It's just the technical title for our position. You can also pick up support positions, which are the stock ones.

Awsome! Glad to hear it!!:thumbsup:

smatterchu
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
It's been a few days since the new Disney CMs have posted. Any updates for us?

OMG - I had so much FUN!!!

I finished my PhotoPass Training on Wednesday, and they turned us loose with guests that afternoon for an hour or so...

Before that, we'd been shooting pictures of each other in the 'photo spots' as if they were guests.

I was getting pretty :crazy: taking the same pictures of the same people, and I was kinda worried for a second... Thankfully, working with REAL PEOPLE is much more fun and goes very quickly if you are talking with folks...

There were two of us training that day, so we were put on two different spots at Hollywood Boulevard (the main strip at Hollywood Studios). We're taking pictures of people in front of Mickey's Sorcerer Hat.

So I stood there for a second, greeting guests at they went by...offering help with directions and wishing people Happy Birthday (if they have a birthday button on) and congratulations (bride and groom ears)....

A minute or two later, a sweet little Princess Jasmine comes up with her family. I smile and bow to the Princess and she beams as she approaches. Dad asks Mom if they want to get some pictures, and we were off to the races!!

I got some great shots of the little girl by herself and then with her family. I have one of her with her hands pressed together at her chest -- very cute.

I probably shot about 25 sets of folks -- with at least 3 pictures apiece. We try to do a standard picture with the full 'icon' in the background (all of the castle, hat, tree of life, etc...)....then we do a close-up...then some kind of creative or action shot....

That hour went by like nothing -- I couldn't believe how much fun!! So many sweet families and friends together, and they are trusting me to preserve their memories!! :tink: I was so anxious to get back to the 'base' to look up my pictures that I had taken. I was so nervous and excited to see how they'd turned out. I thought I had some good ones, but it's so hard to tell through the lens -- and you want to make sure you have room for 5x7 cropping and 8x10 cropping - without having too much extra stuff around your subject.... :clappy:

OMG, y'all -- they turned out AWESOME!! I'm not just saying that because they were mine - because I was ready to pick them apart... This one family -- gorgeous, by the way.... all of them (parents/kids...) The family shot turned out great, the parents - great....then the big brother asked to take a picture with the younger siblings... Well, :cloud9: first of all at that.....wonderful to see them so loving of each other. It was SO SWEET -- and such a good picture. He was in the back, hugging them both - just a tight shot of three smiling kids... and it turned out amazing!! I was just so excited -- and I'd love to be there at the park viewing station or the hotel/house when they pull them up online.

Also during the hour, I got to help do 'crowd control' for my section of the street. High School Musical 2 has a little show that parades down the street, does a show in front of the hat and then comes back up the street past us. The music is fun, and we wind up dancing with them as they go past -- which is also fun. I was doing my classic 'ponytail headbang' with some of the dancers and giving high-fives. The guests crack up at us playing with each other -- and they get into it too.

I teased one Mom who was boogying a little bit and then thought she stopped before anyone else noticed. I was STILL dancing, so I just winked and say, "Ahhhhh, I saw that....can't help it, can ya?" -and she started back up dancing and kept on down the street...

So I went home on a cloud that day!! I passed my written test, and the photos turned out -- I couldn't be happier!!

Now, I will say that my legs and feet were a little ticked off at me on Thursday, but they'll get over it.

These days, I'm TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY at Hollywood Studios....every week... I'm hoping to get 'Water Park Trained' to take photos over at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. They have a PVC bag that protects the camera while you are IN the water -- yes, IN the water...

Alright -- gotta run -- just wanted to touch base and give you the scoop....

So yay!! It's as much fun as I thought it would be!!

Thanks to all the other CM's who have helped give great advice and encouragement!! :thumbsup:

joanna71985
06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
That's awsome!:)

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I have really enjoyed working at MK. I do wish that the management were better with their CM's though. They could stand some improvement there. There is one that I would call outstanding but the others are less approachable. I've been told that they are better than in some parts of the park which doesn't say much for those parts of the park.
I like to be busy so I like the days where I am at a busy location. I feel sorry for Jessica though because if we don't have something we send them to the Emporium. It is everyone's defalt. :blush: Now I know why it is so busy at the Emporium.

smatterchu
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
That's awsome!:)

:thumbsup: Yup - so far so good!! Thanks!

I have really enjoyed working at MK. I do wish that the management were better with their CM's though. They could stand some improvement there. There is one that I would call outstanding but the others are less approachable. I've been told that they are better than in some parts of the park which doesn't say much for those parts of the park.
I like to be busy so I like the days where I am at a busy location. I feel sorry for Jessica though because if we don't have something we send them to the Emporium. It is everyone's defalt. :blush: Now I know why it is so busy at the Emporium.

I'm sorry your finding that to be the case. So far, I have only met one of my Managers (just because of scheduling), but I will probably meet others as I pick up extra hours. I might have met another -- but only casually, I think... Anyway, I'm hopeful.

Yesterday was my first full-fledged day as a Photographer - totally solo. It was tons of fun! I wound up taking about 500 PhotoPass pictures and probably another 75 or 100 with Guests cameras. (We are happy to take photos with your camera, by the way. :mickey:)

My husband and I were at EPCOT on Tuesday (our 13th anniversary, so we did DiveQuest to celebrate) I got there earlier than he did and wound up meeting a little family from Italy. I was talking with them and their girls (4 and 5) about their trip and I asked them where they were going next. Wednesday, they were going to Hollywood Studios - so I told them that was where I worked (to their surprise) and that I would be there that day taking pictures. I happened to have my nametag handy (so they wouldn't think I was some crazy stalker/liar, lol), and they said they would look for me.

Well, for my first day -- and my first assignment, I was the FIRST photographer you would see as you came in the gate! woohoo! I was super-busy, and the day went really quickly. As soon as I finished with one family, I usually had at least one more waiting behind me.

So when I handed back the card to one family, I spun around to see my little family I had met at EPCOT. They even remembered my name - because the Dad said it before I could get turned around to them. It was so cool to see them, and their little girls were so sweet. I took pictures of the family and then just Mom and Dad (which is rare - as most parents know, lol)...

So that was really cool -- and so many other families were sweet and funny and fun. I hope I got a bunch of great shots for them. We did some photo review in the afternoon - especially once it started raining buckets outside. Yes, Quality Assurance is a big thing - and they are constantly reviewing photos to make sure we're getting the best pictures possible. :thumbsup:

So yesterday was a great day! My equipment held up for me - I changed batteries when I needed to, and my teammates chipped in when I did have a bigger issue. Then at about 3:00 or so, the storms came in and we are sent inside to do photo review and other work while it's raining.

I work again on Friday -- a slightly shorter day, which is fine....just some extra hours I picked up for that day.

Hope everyone else is having a great time at work. It's certainly a time of learning and change - but so far, so good... :cloud9:

joanna71985
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM

I know!

It's just like with Guest Relations too!

:thumbsup: Yup - so far so good!! Thanks!

My husband and I were at EPCOT on Tuesday (our 13th anniversary, so we did DiveQuest to celebrate)

You're welcome.:)

Congrats!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, I have to revise my statement a bit. I guess it will take some time to get to fully know my managers. I think they have good days and bad ones too just like we do. I was really happy tonight when one of the managers that I don't know very well at all came over and handed me a purple piece of paper that said Great Service Fanatic. I didn't really know what it was but it said congratulations so I thought that was great. He explained that it goes on your record card. I love that!!!:thumbsup: This was a real cherry on the top for me tonight because earlier in the day a guest who I was pin trading with gave me a pin card that had WWWD (What Would Walt Do) on it. It said thanks for treating them as a Guest just as the Disney''s would have done. That really means a lot to me to get something like that from a guest. They are the reason we are there and to receive a thank you was amazing.
I also had a little boy give me a business card last week that had the family name on it with a picture of Tink and it said thanks for sprinkling some pixie dust on our day. I wish they were on Intercot because I would like to thank them again. That really was very thoughtful of them to think I deserved that. It's on the front of my fridge! :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I love it when the Guests give us a little bit of magic! I've gotten a couple of cards and lots of hugs.

I've acquired my fair share of GSF's - then again, they hand them out like candy at the Emporium.

You can also put them in the GSF boxes near the front of the Tunnel and it will go into a drawing for prizes.

I won once and got 2 free meals on property and 4 free movie tickets.

snerd475
06-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I love it when the Guests give us a little bit of magic! I've gotten a couple of cards and lots of hugs.

I was wondering about this, Jessica, and all the other CMs on here...
The little CM appreciation cards, do you like getting them? I ask because I gave one to a CM who looked frazzled, picking up towels by the WL pool, and she didn't seem too happy about it. I felt like I was an elitist, patting her on the head for cleaning up after all of us royalty. I felt so bad about it that I threw the rest of the cards away! :(
So, what do you CMs think of them? I mean, they are just little pieces of paper...

Thanks!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I suppose it varies from CM to CM. If you literally patted her on the head, I think that yes, that might have been a bit insulting to her.

You can always go with a simple verbal "Thank you for everything you do." I always thank our custodial when I see them. They are the reasons the parks stay in such great condition.

I guess for me, I like having memories of all of my encounters with Guests so I like the little cards. Or when a Guest from Tokyo gave me a picture of Mickey and Gang in their kimono and hakama just for trading pins with her. It proudly hangs on my wall next to my computer.

snerd475
06-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I suppose it varies from CM to CM. If you literally patted her on the head, I think that yes, that might have been a bit insulting to her.

AHHH! Just the thought of the makes me cringe! I'd never be so insulting!
I did find some cute cards that are less condescending than the other ones I threw out.

And, for the record, I DO appreciate all that you and your fellow good CMs do! :thumbsup:

I hope to see you in September for my first SOLO trip! :cloud9:

ResQRanger82
06-22-2008, 01:41 AM
YAHOO!!! I finally get to join the ranks as a CM!!! :number1: I just found out that I'll be full-time monorail and I couldn't be any more excited. I'll be reporting for duty in mid July and can't hardly wait. It was been wonderful reading everyone's experiences on here and has made me feel much more comfortable with the whole process.

Just had to share my bit of good news!!! :mickey:

joanna71985
06-22-2008, 09:29 AM
YAHOO!!! I finally get to join the ranks as a CM!!! :number1: I just found out that I'll be full-time monorail and I couldn't be any more excited. I'll be reporting for duty in mid July and can't hardly wait. It was been wonderful reading everyone's experiences on here and has made me feel much more comfortable with the whole process.

Yay! That's awsome! Congrats!:)

AwPhooey
06-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

After you start working, please post with your experiences. I'm hoping to move down to Orlando and work PT (at least at first) at WDW and I've always wanted to work with the monorails, so it would be great to hear what the job is like. :mickey:

djsharp
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread! We couldn't move there till our son is out of school in a few years, but I've always thought it would be fun to work at Disney. And by just reading the first three pages of the posts, it sounds like something that I'm going to want to do later! I'm sure going to keep it in my favorites.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread!

Me to! I didn't realize that so many people shared this same idea. For a few years now I've been playing with the notion of going to WDW when I retire, getting a part-time job and doing a lot of traveling in the off season. But thought it was just a dream. Now I might give it some serious thought. :mickey: Thanks to all of you.

djsharp
06-23-2008, 03:12 AM
OK I've read through all the posts and want to send a great big CONGRATS everybody how has made their dream come true!

Jessica, you had mentioned awhile back that you were going to try for the (I can't remember what you called it) management training thing that Disney does. Did you do that? or did you just decide to put in for the transfers?

HDG, I want to give you your own thank you for this thread, because if it weren't for you, it wouldn't be here. And so sorry for you about your Mom and MIL. My prayers are with you even now.

Disney sounds like a great place to work. There is opportunity everywhere to do whatever your heart desires. If I could, I'd transfer down there now and start. But we just moved from Seattle to the MS Gulf Coast last year for my husbands job, and with a special needs teenage son, I just couldn't do it to the family right now. My Son is doing just to good in the program they have for him here, and moving him and setting up services is hard. But that's another story. But just wait till 2012! He'll be out of school and hubby might be willing to relocate again. Even though he said "we are not moving again till I get my house that I can have horses at!" haha

As for your salaried management team. HDG said it well. They good days and bad, just like everybody else. I've been there, done that at a MAJOR big box retailer. I had to step down for the transfer as there weren't any positions open here at the time. And as an hourly, sometimes you forget that they are usually under alot of stress also for whatever reason, and MOST of the time they are just trying to do what is right or everybody. Granted, their "right" might not be what you would have done. They are only human too, and they do make mistakes. The ones that always mad me made, where the ones that made a mistake but never abmitted it. There will always be good managers that care for their people and will work hard to do what's right for them. But then there are the not so good managers that may make the company alot of money, but have poor employee relations. This is everywhere you go. Not just Disney or the place I work. Every job has it's good days/weeks/months and it's bad. I have come home to tell my husband that I'm quiting about once a month over the last two years or so. But overall, the company has been good to me and my family I still believe in it's core values, and Most of the time, I love my job. The same goes for the difficulties the CM have. Managers will come and go, but if you love the place you work and the job you are doing, that's what makes it all worthwhile.

Sorry for what now sounds like a lecture, (as I re-read over it)but it's 2 in the morning and I had all these ideas in my head from reading all your great posts that I wanted to give you all encouragement. SO I hope that that is how it comes across.

I feel like I know you all now and will be looking for you when we are there in July. 17 days to go!:mickey:

Please keep us all informed on the new jobs.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks Debbie for the prayers. It certainly has been a challenging month. :(
I didn't realize this post would help so many other people. I'm really glad it has. :thumbsup:
It would be great if you can stop and say hello. We move around a lot through out the day so it may be tough to find the CM's. My name tag says Karyn from Windermere, FL.
Enjoy your trip!!!:mickey:

djsharp
06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
We will be looking for you. I don't recall... did you find a house in Windermere, or somewhere esle? Cost of living down here is somewhat cheaper then the Seattle area, but not so much since the hurricane two years ago. Rents still cheaper than what we were used to, but the food and gas prices aren't so much different. Utilities are higher and getting taxed for everything is a big change,so were still adjusting the family budget. With adjusting to the new job, how are you adjusting to the new area?

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes Debbie we did find a place in Windermere by sheer miracle. Well, technically it's Orlando but I didn't know that until the alarm company came out and told us. The houses across the street from us are Windermere and the houses on the side of us are Windermere but somehow we are Orlando. Somehow there is a split even by street. It doesn't make sense but we are technically Orlando. Orlando is so big that if someone says they are from Orlando that is like saying your from Florida. It can mean anywhere.
We really wanted this area because it is super safe and only 5 minutes from MK. We looked for a place for 2 weeks (living in hotel) calling everyday asking realtors if they had anything in the Winermere area. Where there was something available it was out of our price range just because it was in Windermere. We were about at out wits end and ready to take something in Clermont (40 minutes away from MK) when I called on a place for rent that had already been rented but she said she had another one that just became available the night before. She had gotten an e-mail from the previous renters that said they had gone bankrupt and they were out of the place. We went and looked at it and decided the smaller space was worth the close location. We went and signed an app. and mentioned that we thought the rent was a bit higher than we were really looking for and amazingly she said she would take $150 a month off of it to match what we were paying back at our previous house. That is amazing because that place would have rented for the full amount with out a question. In fact we later found out that someone had called another realor asking about it and was ready to pay the higher price.
Isn't it amazing how God has a way of working things out for you even when you have no way of beliving it can happen.
The scary thing with renting in FL (or anywhere I guess) is that with so many forclosures you could rent from someone and then find out that they are loosing the house which brings you back to moving again.

djsharp
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear that you found a place where you wanted. That helps with reducing lots of stress. I know that when we were getting ready to move down here, I was going crazy. We had to rent over the internet and that was scary, but it worked out. We just didn't have the extra money to come down to look before we moved.

I told my DH yesturday to be prepared to move there in 2012! haha I can just transfer with my current company and still work there so I don't loss my benefits and such. I'm grandfathered in at able to work only 28hours a week if I want and still keep full time status so I could get a part time job DW too! He said he'd want to be Piglet! That's his fav. Halloween is our all time favorite holiday because of the "dress-up" factor, and to me working at DW would be like getting to have Halloween every Day!

Does anybody know if the hiring crew take into account work experience when calculating starting pay. I can't remember if anybody has asked that. Also, I know I read that management positions mostly go to inters, but does anybody know about people getting hired in with previous management experience right into a management position, or do they have everybody start from the ground up?

TheRustyScupper
06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
I have really enjoyed working at MK. I do wish that the management were better with their CM's though. They could stand some improvement there. There is one that I would call outstanding but the others are less approachable.

1) Alas, the management are mediocre to poor.
2) They do not do much management training.
3) I even had a meeting to discuss this.
4) They first claimed they did lots of training.
5) When I read off the true training, they admitted to hardly any real training.
6) I then read from "The Disney Way" training book. *
7) It has all gone by they wayside.
8) The rule is "don't let the bull hit the brass".
9) If you keep complaints at your level, you get advanced.

* I actually use this book in training my subordinate Plant Managers and their staff. I also employ the Disney Way Workbook.

bleukarma
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
How is everybody doing with their respective jobs at WDW? Any good stories lately?

Has anybody heard if Mousekeepers make decent tips? I would think that they did. When I go back to FL if I get an opportunity to work at WDW I am thinking of applying for Mousekeeping, just because they get the tips.

tmosier
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
What happened to this post? :pout:

I was enjoying keeping up on our CMs and miss reading their updates.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
We work?

LOL. Well, I've got a few I guess I can put up.

I started as a CA officially on Sunday. I had my first day of training at the Main Gate Complex. It was pretty awesome, I enjoyed the class. Can I just say - it is EXTREMELY hard to take anything seriously when your teacher is a stuffed bear? No, really...Winnie the Pooh was teaching my class. It couldn't stop laughing.

I got to see some Fairies in person. So there is hope they are coming soon....maybe. I also saw the promo photos of their costumes and the new ones for Mickey and Minnie on Halloween. Saw some new costume sketches.....that I was not thrilled about. In fact, they looked horrible but I won't go into any more detail than that. Found out where they hide all the old puppets from the Tapestry parades.

So for some Jungle stories, I had a girl from MAW who loved my boat so much the first time, that she wanted to ride again. We obviously let her and so she got two different versions since I substituted some jokes.

Yesterday, I had a little boy who was waiting in line. Another little boy from a different family had crossed the safety line and I asked him to move back because we have gators in the river and they might jump up and get him. Well, the first little boy started to scream and yell about sharks. Saying there were sharks and they were going to eat him and he was pretty adament about it. His mom looked at him and said "Honey, we're from Louisiana, we have gators in the backyard." Needless to say, the father took him away from the line and they didn't ride. The little boy swore up and down he saw one in the water too.....I saw him later that night after I was off at BTM and he was freaking out on that too. So I didn't feel bad.

Another Guest screamed on my boat when I got to the Ginger Snaps part.....and the Squeeze Play. It was funny because the entire boat started laughing both at her and with her.

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
The positives:

1. Florida/ Orlando area is great to live in
2. You do get much more entertainment available to you than just about anywhere in the US outside of Mid town Manhattan and the Vegas strip
3. Disney is stable....and does allow advancement strictly based on job performance

The bads:

1. The entire Orlando area is beholden to travel....and therefore at the whim of the national economy and discretionary spending
2. You are surrounded by tourists at all times....24/365....that is sometimes not the greatest living scenario
3. People come to orlando and spend lots on vacations.....you don't get it. Wages are still very low and the need for low paying wages far outweighs the incentive to hire those at higher wages. basically...you can live on vacation....just don't expect to be able to go on any vacations.
4. With Disney....the advancement is ridiculously slow. The work is completely repetitive and mundane after a very short while. And in the end....you will either make a low wage/salary or be forced to spend your entire life with your nametag on to make anything more.
5. It is difficult to watch other people's special occasions day in and out - but work at a place that doesn't allow you to really get many of your own.

...just off the top of my head

joanna71985
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I started as a CA officially on Sunday. I had my first day of training at the Main Gate Complex. It was pretty awesome, I enjoyed the class. Can I just say - it is EXTREMELY hard to take anything seriously when your teacher is a stuffed bear? No, really...Winnie the Pooh was teaching my class. It couldn't stop laughing.

That's awsome! Mine was Pluto.

tmosier
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the update!

I remember what summer in Florida feels like, and I'm sure the last thing CMs want to do when they get home is to post. Some of us live vicariously through CMs and enjoy whatever post scraps they toss our way! :D

Hayden's Dad
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
So for some Jungle stories, I had a girl from MAW who loved my boat so much the first time, that she wanted to ride again. We obviously let her and so she got two different versions since I substituted some jokes.

Some how that doesn't surprise me about you Jessica. :mickey: Congratulations again on the CA position.

doombuggy
09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I was wondering about this, Jessica, and all the other CMs on here...
The little CM appreciation cards, do you like getting them? I ask because I gave one to a CM who looked frazzled, picking up towels by the WL pool, and she didn't seem too happy about it. I felt like I was an elitist, patting her on the head for cleaning up after all of us royalty. I felt so bad about it that I threw the rest of the cards away! :(
So, what do you CMs think of them? I mean, they are just little pieces of paper...

Thanks!

If you go a step further and write a letter about that CM, it goes on their record card. I have a few of those. It does look good on the RC, but even better is getting the letter from the guest. I had one from a little girl back in 2005, which I still have in my file drawer at home. :mickey:

doombuggy
09-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I am in Cincinnati for the summer but when I come back down to Florida (I have a house I am trying to sell in Brandon) I am seriously thinking of making the plunge and moving closer to WDW and working there. I think I would rather work outside of the parks though, because I am afraid of losing the magic. I would love to work for a resort.

I am trying to get into training at Kings Island up here and I asked them if I could work two positions and the lady said "no...I don't think so...that would be hard!" I thought to myself "you don't know me!" I have always been used to working two jobs. I am kind of a work-a-holic so 40 hours a week is little to me. My question is: can you work two positions at WDW? Or can you work FT at one position and pick up extra hours in another?

Thanks for the great thread! It's interesting reading about everyones behind the scenes experience as a WDW CM! :mickey:

I find working two jobs a bit stressful. Since moving to FL, I work 7 days a week. I have a f/t job outside of disney, and since in order to be p/t ("CR") you need to give them 2 full days of availibility (minimum), that takes away my weekends. After 12 years (well, 12 years on 9/15), it gets tiresome.

I agree with you about working outside the parks. I work at DTD; I live about 34 miles away, but can usually get there in about 45-50 minutes. It doesn't take away from the magic, although I seldom go to the parks, since I work so much and now live a bit farther away. But I cut my milage per week down to about 180 from 350. :)

good luck to you! :mickey:

trackbarroness
09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
As you can probably guess by my signature. :D I work in the Magic Kingdom's T-land, and no the Magic hasn't been lost for me. In fact I find it has been inhanced by becoming a CM. In fact I just had my last day of cross training for the Buzz complex, and tomorrow will be tested on what I know. Maybe I'll get crossed trained over at Speedway, but will have to think about that. I'll post tomorrow either way.
Have a magical night

bleukarma
09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I find working two jobs a bit stressful. Since moving to FL, I work 7 days a week. I have a f/t job outside of disney, and since in order to be p/t ("CR") you need to give them 2 full days of availibility (minimum), that takes away my weekends. After 12 years (well, 12 years on 9/15), it gets tiresome.

I agree with you about working outside the parks. I work at DTD; I live about 34 miles away, but can usually get there in about 45-50 minutes. It doesn't take away from the magic, although I seldom go to the parks, since I work so much and now live a bit farther away. But I cut my milage per week down to about 180 from 350. :)

good luck to you! :mickey:

I have worked 2 jobs for a long time and when I don't I get bored. I'm not one of those people that can just sit at home. I guess I have nervous energy or something. I figure I may as well be spending my time making money because otherwise I would be out somewhere spending it.

It's all up in the air right now. I get back to FL in 2 weeks. Right now I'm just going to transfer through JC Penney's (that started as my part time job and it turned into full time when I got laid off at the title company I worked at) and then look for another full time job from there. We may have someone interested in leasing our house from us, and if they do then I will be moving further east and (hopefully) work at Disney. But if I get "stuck" in my house in Brandon then I think I would spend more gas getting to Disney then what I would make. So...who knows what the future holds! Thanks for the well wishes!! I will keep you posted!