PDA

View Full Version : WDW Review on Slate.com

milhouse
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Slate.com is running a multi-day article on the World. It's pretty good. Link below:

http://www.slate.com/id/2187177/entry/2187178/

brewcrew26
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for posting! It's a pretty amusing read!

Ms.Disney
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the guy should lighten up a bit, but it was a good read :mickey: Thanks for sharing

letsdoitagain
03-26-2008, 11:11 AM
He seems like one of those types that complains about everything. Disney isn't for everybody...now he knows.

Gooftroop5
03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the reading material. He just proves when you go in with a cynical attitude it's easy to find something to keep being cynical about. If he went in with a different attitude the story would read different.

Lightn up its Disney World.:mickey:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
It just sounds like your typical know-it-all, I'm too smart for that, hey aren't I cool type review. I end up feeling bad for these types because they truly don't understand what it is about and they never will. It is a place to suspend belief for a while and not overthink and analyze everything.

The line that really got me was this one...
"I'm guessing that within a decade all these robot performers will get phased out."

If he is talking solely about the Great Movie Ride's AAs, I agree (not their best work). But if he is referring to all AAs - he just flat out doesn't get it...again.

On the bright side, articles like this hopefully keep all the other "I'm too good for Disney" cynics away from the parks which in turn leaves more room for the millions (of apparently not smart enough or crazy) people that truly appreciate them.

elmjimmlm
03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the reading material. He just proves when you go in with a cynical attitude it's easy to find something to keep being cynical about. If he went in with a different attitude the story would read different.

Lightn up its Disney World.:mickey:

I agree...I think that also he is very degrading of others that go to the parks...I myself can not think of a better place for my family...Is Disney not for the imagination? I guess he doesnt think so...

c&d
03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I didn't read it as a cynical attitude, rather he was very sarcastic. I enjoyed reading it.

WriteDisney
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip;1585894]It just sounds like your typical know-it-all, I'm too smart for that, hey aren't I cool type review. I end up feeling bad for these types because they truly don't understand what it is about and they never will. [QUOTE]

Exactly!!! I totally agree, couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the post! It didnt sound like the author was to impressed!:mickey:

sleepingbooty
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Anybody read this article that just popped up on Slate.com? I have msn for my home page, I was so excited when I saw "5 Days Deep in the World of Disney" next to a pic of the castle. So I clicked on it and read it. Yeah...not the perky piece I was hoping for. Oh well, I guess you can't expect a writer for Slate to get it, right? Not that I didn't understand what he was driving at, but I tend to get a little offended when people who go back to WDW over and over are portrayed as soulless and materialistic. Call me sensitive:(

GrumpyFan
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I've been reading it. It's kinda funny in a sarcastic way, but some of his points bite or come a little close to comfort too. But, no harm. Take it in stride, people make fun of Disney and my obsession with it all the time, but it doesn't bother me.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
We've been discussing it here too...
Slate Article (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129549)

I agree with you...he was a bit condescending in his tone.

Tink's Mom
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I think what annoyed me the most, was how he implied that if you visit Disney often then you must be depriving your children of true cultural experiences. "Mightn't it be better to broaden your children's horizons just a tad. Like, maybe visit Canada - instead of just the Canada pavillion in Epcot?" What the heck is that? Yes, we try and go to Disney at least 1-2 times a year, but that does not mean that we do not take our children to places where they can experience other cultures. We currently live on an island in Portugal (husbands job brought us here), and we are about as deep in another culture as you can get. Last year we went to WDW, but we also went to Washington DC, Venice Italy, and Paris France. In 10 more days we will be at WDW again (yay!). Then this summer we are off to Naples and Capri Italy. As always though, we still love sitting on a bench in the World Showcase at Epcot watching Illuminations and the joy on our childrens faces.

(I am going to stop here before I get going on his comment about the Disneyism religion, and Disney as a church)

WishesFan13
03-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I am so glad you started this post, i just turned the computer on and i also have msn as my homepage and just like you got excited when i saw the article. I kept reading hoping it would get better but i just kept getting more annoyed. if you don't like disney don't go and there is no reason to bash those of us that enjoy it. He already had a preconceived notion of what his trip was going to be and no surprise he couldn't get past it to enjoy himself for more than a few moments. What i think would be funny is if he ends up with someone who is a major disney freak and makes him go every year. is that wrong?

WDWizard
03-29-2008, 02:27 AM
This trip report was great and very well written. It was a great read; I even chuckled a few times at some things that were written (specifically comments made about AK's parking lot and Pleasure Island).

I don’t understand why people are so upset that someone is being critical of their "perfect" Disney world. I'm not sure if you all know this, but not everybody likes WDW. EPCOT is not the best park for children. SpaceShip Earth is boring. Innoventions is a joke. World Showcase is an embarrassment if you've actually traveled to any of the countries represented. The list goes on...and I can list these complaints and still be a big fan with a huge respect for Disney. Nobody's perfect, not even Disney.

Although he discussed the negative, he also talked about the positive aspects, the "Disney difference" that draws millions of visitors to make the pilgrimage to the resort every year versus your average Six Flags amusement park.

pink
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I really enjoyed his articles and I'm glad that Disney "magic" started to rub off onto him. Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

pdrlkr
03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for sharing! I guess?

brad192
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Hmm.....

I bet the author's got a boatload of Universal stock! ;)