PDA

View Full Version : "Aresols" on plane?

BigRedDad
03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
We are getting ready to fly out and want to be sure there is not a problem with taking compressed liquids in aerosol cans. Specifically, I am concerned with taking the spray type sunblock in my packed luggage. I know some forms of compressed products are not permitted because it is what took down the ValueJet plane in the Everglades. I am just not sure if there is a complete ban on them or specific types.

Any ideas?

JMTStone
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I had two in my bag last year. I don't think they have a problem as long as its not in your carry-on.

I'd call the airline to be sure.

LauraF
03-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Start with the TSA's website - the official source for the stuff the airlines tell you:
"If you need larger amounts of liquids, gels and aerosols such as toothpaste or shampoo, please place them in your luggage and check them with your airline."

That means if you pack them you're fine. If you want to carry them in your pocket, not so much. :)

jodijo
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
We went to WDW last month and I packed them in my suitcases and had no problems.

So, pack them and have a great trip.

ChipDale2708
03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Haven't had a problem w/ my hairspray in my checked luggage. Just to be safe, I wrap the can in a couple of plastic bags. :mickey:

kwhitt3202
03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I fly several times a year and take those with me . I put them in a gallon size baggie and put them in my checked baggs. Never had a problem. I put the in the baggies just incase.

Taja
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Never had any problems. As PPs suggested, it's a good idea to place anything liquid or aerosol in a zip top bag for additional safety. Of your belongings, that is! :)

Ed
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
The key element in many of these posts is the phrase "checked baggage" - the bags that go into the belly of the plane. You cannot take any liquids, gels or aerosols over 3.4 ounces in your carry-on bags or on your person. And those that you DO carry on must all fit in a 1-quart size ziplock-type bag - - one bag per passenger.

See www.tsa.gov for more info.