PDA

View Full Version : First trip at 96 years young!!

cal5755
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
We have had the pleasure of having Aunt Apple (Ethel) come be a permanent part of our family. She will be turning 96 in April and we will be taking her on her very first trip to WDW in September. She is extremely healthy as far as she has no diabetes, no heart problems, no strokes etc. She has some vision problems... her perifial (sp) vision is gone and her depth perception is off as well.
She also can not(even though she thinks she can) walk for long periods of time. She can not walk with us through the grocery store anymore without a wc. We will be pushing her in her wc while we are there. She will be able to move from the wc to a ride but will need extra assistance. I know she will not be able to do the moving floors like in Snow White etc. and it will take longer to get her into rides like the boat in IASW.

My questions are... has anyone ever traveled with anyone as old as Aunt Apple. What exactly is a GAC card and is that something we should look into for her?

I know people might think we are crazy for taking her but I can't bear the thought of leaving her in a respite facility surrounded by unfamiliar people. She still is sprite and loves to sing and dance with the kids... can not stand to be in the house all day long. AND I am telling you she will probably eat the most out of any of us on the Deluxe Dining Plan. I can hear her now telling the server she hasn't eaten in 2 or three days. I already have visions of pictures with Mickey Mouse and her first visit button.

MsMin
03-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Lots of things change when we are 96. My grandmother's last trip was when she was 92 before the dementia really set in.
Some tips on traveling with the more mature set..
People get more concrete with age. Just like we often lose our peripheral vision other changes in the brain occur too. So tings suddenly become black and white. Things are good or bad not in between. That being said there may be some rides that seem more real -- sort of like a child. Elderly tend to get a bit more confused when things change too fast. Everyone is different and her personality will help predict how she will adjust. I couldn't take my grandmother anywhere after she turned 96 because she became very frightened. Remember to let her live in her reality for as much as possible. If something frightens her don't push it. If she thinks something is real so someone is a former relative... go with it.
Remember too to keep her well hydrated b/c fluids are important.
Early mornings are best (as early as she is used to) As people tire they become less tolerant.
There is something also called "sundowning" you may have heard of it. It's when the elderly get a little more restless and irritable in the evenings.
Toileting is also an issue with our aging adults. It's often safer to have back up in case you get stuck or delayed in a ride.
We didn't need a GAC for my dad. The CM's are usually great with helping our aging family members.
:thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I think it's GREAT that your sweet Aunt wants to go to such a fun place. If she has as much fun as you're thinking she will, God bless her.

I say, cherish every moment and take lots of pictures.:thumbsup:

dory is here
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
all moving rides will have the operator stop them for the person to have access to the ride ..woohoo thats Disny for ya:eeyore:

PEA_Swe
03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I hope that someone is taking me to WDW when I'm 96....

:magic:

thejens
03-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I am a retirement community director and have taken elderly people on all kinds of trips, but never to WDW! I'd love to! I think I'd do some park activities in the morning (esp. the shows) have lunch and then let her spend the afternoon napping or relaxing at the hotel. Then do dinner. It would be nice if you are staying at one of the monorail hotels or have a car. The wheelchair can get uncomfortable after a while, so bring a small cusion or "egg crate" cushion. Bring a shade for wheelchair or even an umbrella, the sun and glare can be hard on an elderly person. If she does do any walking keep in mind that changes in color or texture of pavement can be confusing and appear to be a step for people with impaired vision. Use lots of sunscreen. Try it out in advance to assure it doesn't irritate her skin. You can buy gel filled cooling wraps at Walmart in the sports section. This could help prevent overheating. Since most elderly people have less body fat and possibly impaired circulation they can get cold easily, bring a sweater no matter how hot it is outside. Be sure to have good sunglasses for her, preferably the kind that wrap around. Glare can be hard on elderly. Keep in mind romantic restaurants like Le Cellier may seem very dark, fun performances or background music can awful for a person with hearing aides. You may want to sit in the quieter areas of Ohana's and go for well lit, calmer restaurants. Don't feel that she needs to everything you all do. She really may enjoy looking at the scenery while you ride. Keeping her hydrated is indeed important. Dole Whips and even coffee, tea and cokes are fine for this if she doesn't want water. If there are any incontinence issues some depends or panty liners can make your day SO much better and less embarrassing for her. I assume you are familiar with her medication regimen, don't forget to bring meds if needed at certain times during the day. If she takes any diuretics you will want to go ahead and plan for potty runs. She may need to eat something with morning meds so having some small snack in the room could be helpful. There are little bags that hook on to the back of wheelchairs that will be very helpful on this trip! Try not to be disappointed if she gets overwhelmed, WDW is pretty awesome and a small amount might be enough for her. These are just a few things that I think about when planning for my folks. As much as possible try to stick to her normal wake, sleep, eat, nap, snack times. Consider bringing a helper so you can do things without her without feeling you're abandoning her. I think she is lucky to be going with you and you are lucky to still have her with you. The whole thing sounds wonderful to me! Have fun! :mickey:

cal5755
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much for all that input guys!!

THEJENS I am with you on morning activities and afternoon naps. What is amazing is that Aunt Apple is on NO medication except tylenol and tylenol pm. She has no history of any heart disease, high colesterol, no strokes or any other diseases that would require medication. I am very excited to be taking her for her first trip. She will walk some and do the wheel chair some. All your tips were great especially the sunglasses as I wasnt even thinking about that.

I am really looking forward to the first picture with Mickey.. it is going to be so exciting!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I hope I'm still working at Diseny when I am 96!

Like others said, they will stop the ride long enough for those who need to get onto the platform to load the vehicles.

Be sure to bring her to the Emporium and mention Intercot if you find me! I'll give her a special little treat!