PDA

View Full Version : A Pinewood Derby car for Pixar fans

Noah's Helper
03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Our church sponsors an annual pinewood derby for boys in grades 1-6. Boys shape a car from a 7" block of wood, paint and decorated it, add wheels, and race. There's also an open class for parents and siblings -- I think the primary purpose of this is so the Dads don't take over their son's cars. :blush: That's certainly a temptation for me, so this year I decided to build a car of my own.

I thought a Pizza Planet truck would be fun. It was more work than I anticipated, but still fun to build. While it didn't win any races, the truck did win a couple of awards for looks. The kids enjoyed seeing it race too.

Here are a few pictures: side (http://home.hiwaay.net/~btdarby/familyphotos/2008a_pwd/pages/n080315_5107.html), rear view (http://home.hiwaay.net/~btdarby/familyphotos/2008a_pwd/pages/n080315_5111.html); inside the back (http://home.hiwaay.net/~btdarby/familyphotos/2008a_pwd/pages/n080315_5112.html). More at the homepage in my profile.

TheDuckRocks
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Your truck is wonderful! A while ago you posted a link to your Halloween costumes, I can't get over how much your kids have grown. As if we could stop time.:blush: Glad to see a picture of your cute dog again, he would have a battle with my cat over under the tree rights.

Gooftroop5
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Those are really cool pinewood derby cars. I use to have a lot of fun when my brother was in boy scouts with the pinewood derbies. It usually turned into a whole family project.

IloveJack
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm a 27-year old, female scout leader with no kids. I know, it's weird, but my entire family is involved in scouts, and that's how I met my dh. I basically got involved in it to spend time with my mom, and got stuck.

Anyhow, my pinewood derby car is always designed to make the kids smile. I couldn't care less if it wins, or even makes it down the track. Therefore, I've made a snail, a turtle, and, a couple of years ago, Lightning McQueen. It was so much fun. I have pics, but would have to find them to post them. They love anything Disney. :mickey:

Bethis26fan
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Those are great all of them.

Carol
03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Very cool. :waycool:

You certainly may share the link. :)

princessjojo
03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I love the derby cars, especially the contents of the truck. And the windshield is too cool. But as a princess, I love the ballet slipper. It is extremely unique. I have made, rather helped to make my share as well with our cub scouts. I can say it takes patience getting them ready.

Noah's Helper
03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Therefore, I've made a snail, a turtle, and, a couple of years ago, Lightning McQueen.

What fun ideas! I like the humor of a snail or turtle. :D We made a Lightning McQueen last year; he and his friends all seem to be popular derby designs.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
That is great!!!

Both of my sons are in Cub Scouts. Well, my oldest actually moved up to Boy Scouts last week. We just had our Pinewood Derby in February. Such a fun day. My oldest son designed and made a really cool shark car. My middle guy did a General Lee replica and my 4 year old daughter made an all out Princess car with my husband for the family race. We look forward to the races every year.

Thanks for sharing..I love your idea!!

conorsmom2000
03-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Very cool! Conor is in Cub scouts (a Wolf, I think) and his Pinewood Derby was in January - last year his car looked like a box of Crayola crayons (except instead of "Crayola" it was called "Conola" :D ) This year his car was all yellow with a black outline of Pikachu on it (we're in a Pokemon phase right now!). This year was very awesome as Conor came in 2nd overall out of the whole pack - he was very excited!! He couldn't believe his car beat the older boys!

brownie
03-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Very cool and nice job!:thumbsup: