PDA

View Full Version : Which night time show not to miss? Preschoolers

Mom2Boys
03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
We went to DW when my son was younger. (2 1/2 or so) He is now 6 and his younger brother is going this year, he is 3. When we went last time we didn't go to any night time shows really. We would catch the fireworks going back to WL. I would like to see a show up close this year. What would you catch with a 6 (special needs) and 3 year old for a 9:00 start? I would love to do all Illuminations, Fantasmic, Disney Wishes, Spectromagic. The list goes on. But that is not going to happen with two little ones and grandparents all going to bed early. ;)
So if we do 1 or 2 what would you pick?
THANKS!
Paige

caryrae
03-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I would choose Spectro/wishes and/or Fantasmic. They have tons of Disney characters.

I think Wishes is right after Spectro (most of the time).

When are you going? Just because like Halloween and Xmas they have special night time parades and fireworks.

deedeenmickey
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I love fantasmic and I think it is a "do not miss" show. I don't know how your children will feel about it with "special needs" I have seen children get scared when then villians come out. Most of time they look extremely tired from a full day at the parks. If I were you I would go to the hotel and rest in late aftenoon and then come back in time for the show. If they are well rested they will enjoy it more. The shows at Disney are worth a trip on thier own.:mickey:

dfamasb
03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I would choose Spectromagic...pretty kid-friendly. I love Fantasmic but it is more intense, it would depend on how your kids are. The benefit for Fantasmic is you can sit the entire time. I don't think Illuminations is worth the wait you have to do to get a decent spot around the lake. If you do Spectromagic and stick around you'll catch Wishes.
Have a great time!!

Meteora
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I love Fantasmic, but in this case I would go wish Spectromagic and Wishes (you can see both the same night; they're usually about 15 minutes-30 minutes apart depending on where you catch the parade from). The parade is truly beautiful and your kids will probably love it. The fireworks are great, too. If you have another night, do Fantasmic. Illuminations is a great show, but I think it's a little less kiddy.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Spectro/Wishes is very kid friendly. I love Fantasmic as does my little one, but from reading on here, some kids can be frightened by it. But you know your kids and if you think it wouldn't bother them, then do that one...

If you do 2, I'd do Spectro/Wishes one night and then Fantasmic another. :mickey:

EvilQueen2006
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I would have to agree with spectromagic. It really is an amazing sight for little ones. (big ones too.) If you leave before wishes you can beat the crowds back to the car/buses. But if the little ones are still awake and not too cranky you can stay for wishes.

offwego
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I may be going against the grain, but Illuminations is pretty great. (plus unlike spectro which is a parade can require a long wait to get a good view it's much easier to see without making kids stay still).

the music is great & the fireworks fantastic without any kind of a villian overlay to worry about. (but truly you couldn't go wrong with any of them!! See whichever one your kiddos seem in the mood to stay up for and enjoy it!)

Love of Disney
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I would say Spectromagic. I can still remember my first time when I was 6 years old. There are lots of lights, motion, exciting music and of course characters. :cool:

Mom2Boys
03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you for all the insight on all the shows! I do think we will have to take a rest in the afternoon before the one we pick. I will also check the times of each/which day. We are having a character dinner at Epcot one night and dinner at MK another. That might be the show we see after a dinner at that park?
Thanks Again!
Paige

GrmGrninGost
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
For me, it's Wishes! There is something magical about the fireworks over the castle! Plus, I love the music and the story that is played out. All the others are good, but they're not quite the same! :mickey:

ASweetLov
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I think Fantasmic would be a great night show to take your little ones to. Not only does it have fireworks but also water, and cartoons showing on the water that is shooting up, tons of characters, it's just a lovely show:thumbsup:

Mickey 101
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm going against the grain, as well. Our favorite hands down is Illuminations and we love the fact that there really isn't a need to 'stake out' a spot in advance, as there's good views all around the lagoon. If you're at Epcot finishing up dinner close to the time for Illuminations, you could just check it out and see whether your family seems interested in stopping to take in the show.

Nekochan
03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
First of all, taking a rest is probably really important. Spectromagic is a 'must do' I think. Both wishes and illuminations are very well done fireworks shows. Fantasmic has other special effects and definitely has some intense scary moments. If the kids are prepared ahead of time they should be fine. However, you need to know how they react to fireworks up close for all shows. I would also bring earplugs or child size target shooting earmuffs to reduce the noise from the fireworks.

Another neat idea would be try to get to the beach at the Polynesian one evening, especially if wishes is going to be around 9 pm. YOu'd get to see the water parade and wishes from the beach - they pipe in music. If you're not driving, an added bonus would be drinking a lapu lapu while you watch the fireworks.:marg:

animalkingdomguy
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I would vote for Illuminations, Spectromagic or Fantasmic. Trying to find a viewing spot for wishes can be a challenge. The other three have the advantage of being easier to sit down and enjoy. I have had people stand up to watch wishes and completely block my childrens view. As for Spectromagic you need to get a front row seat along the parade route or the kids will have a horrible time trying to get a clear view. Overall Illuminations and Fantasmic are the easiest to get a good viewing spot. The only drawback with most of these shows is that once they are over unless it's EMH there is a stampede for the Monorail or buses. Plan on waiting in long lines and unless there are true gentlemen on the buses plan on standing with your young children.

BelleBeauty
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I would say that SpectroMagic and Wishes is a must. I'm not sure if your son is in a wheelchair or has a special stroller. Regardless, I would plan on getting a good seat early. Speak with a CM and ask if there is a special seating section for wheelchairs/special needs (I believe they keep an area near the castle/hub roped off). This really will be the best option. You will also want to ask the CM for their recommendation on a great place that has a view of both the parade and fireworks (I've been in areas where we had to scramble once the parade was done to not have our fireworks view blocked by a tree).

I don't recommend Fantasmic. It is my favorite show and an absolute must-see, but unless you have incredibly fearless children, parts of the show can be very scary.

Mickey91
03-27-2008, 12:42 AM
In order of importance:mickey:

1. Wishes - MK
2. SpectroMagic - MK
3. Illuminations - EPCOT
4. Fantasmic! - HS (depending on your childs temperment, this one might be a little scary. I would sit at least half way up the stadium to lessen the effect.

wire0monkey
03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Last trip we did Illuminations and Fantasmic, but not Wishes. My kids were 5 and 2.5 and Wishes just starts too late for them. They loved both shows, btw.

During the day, I highly recommend the Pocahontas show at AK, in addition to the obvious choices of Lion King and Nemo. It has live, trained animals and a special place for the kids to sit down front, close to the stage. It's really an over-looked gem of a show.