PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Dinner / Show

katzctkpt
03-25-2008, 02:22 PM
We are wanting to make ressies for the Fantasmic Show in December and I was wondering which restaurant would be the best for dinner. Mama Melrose, Hollywood & Vine, or Brown Derby are the choices.

KylesMom
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
We've been utilizing the Fantasmic Dinner Package since 2001, and have tried both H&V and Mama Melrose. I'd take a look at the menus to get an idea of what foods your family would like and go from there.

H&V is a buffet, Mama Melrose is Italian & Brown Derby is - California? Not sure how you'd classify it, but many rave about it. DH is quite picky, though, and won't give it a try. :blush:

While we weren't crazy about H&V, we love Mama Melrose and return there every year. However, the most enjoyable meal will be the one which the menu looks most pleasing to you! :mickey:

Married-2-WDW-nut
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I've just booked the Brown Derby Fantasmic package. We went there last trip and the food was wonderful & the "package" makes it a good price ($46.99/$11.99).

wdwvacationeer
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
We did the Fantasmic Package last year and went to Mama Melrose. It was very good! We have been to the Brown Derby and that was very good too. We also have gone to Hollywood and Vine and 2 of my daughters got sick from the food here.:ill::( Like what KylesMom said though, it is what looks most pleasing to you on the menu.

tink2006
03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I vote for Brown Derby :thumbsup: We have always had a wonderful meal and exceptional service :mickey: Please keep in mind that, if you are on the dining plan, it will be 2TS credits. In my opinion, well worth it!

We have also eaten at H&V but it has been awhile. It is buffet and a good choice if you have picky eaters in the group.

As far as Mama Melrose..sorry can't help. We have never tried it but some of the reviews are pretty good.

ParkMan
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
We've done Mama Melrose a couple of times and Brown Derby once.

Mama Melrose was a good, solid experience. It seemed like pretty standard Italian fare to me and the ambiance was nice.

The last time we did Fantasmic, we opted to skip the dinner package. We ended up going to an earlier showing and then catching a late dinner at Citricos. Surprisingly, we ended up getting much better seats by skipping dinner and just sitting in the theater. We had to go an hour early to get the seats though.

cal5755
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
We have only done this with H&V but we enjoyed it very much. Whatever you decide I am sure it will be delicious... then lots of fun!~!

ilovedisney247
03-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Unless you have small children I would avoid Hollywood and Vine!

Jasminegirlsmom
03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Unless you have small children I would avoid Hollywood and Vine!

Unless you like cold, dried out, tasteless food I would avoid Hollywood & Vine. It's HORRIBLE!

PEA_Swe
03-26-2008, 05:10 PM
We have done Hollywood & Vine twice. It's a good standard Disney buffet.
The quality of the food was good.

Pick restaurant based on the menu and what kind of food you prefer. That's the best recommendation.

Natazu
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
While my family doesn't care for the FDP as a whole, we love Brown Derby. It's an excellent restaurant with top quality staff and food. Maybe consider paying out of pocket instead of using credits if you're on the DDP.

Mama Melrose is pretty good for WDW Italian. They have great flatbreads and the staff will charge your camera battery while you eat. (See, I can say something nice about everyplace... almost)

As far as buffets go, H&V does a good job. You get plenty of decent food for the money.

Jonas_Swe
03-27-2008, 03:24 AM
I am a huge fan of FDP. :mickey:

And I must agree with many above, that you should pick place from the menue, and what type of dinner style you like. :D

If you prefer sit down dinners or buffet? :secret:

Also take in concideration what your day at DHS will be like. If you have a busy schedule and a tight touring plan, a sit down dinner might be a good time to wind down and relax? :eat:

Soul_Power
03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow, I thought it was just me who thought Hollywood & Vine was gross! :ack: My boyfriend and I booked the Fantasmic Dinner Package (which I will gladly book again), but found the food at H&V to be extremely lacking in taste and quality. I think we could've gotten better food at our good ol' Hometown Buffet back home!

Considering that it was my first trip there, I can't say much for the other two restaurants. Definitely avoid H&V!

EmmMOM2
03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
we are doing this dinner pkg for our upcoming trip.

We are doing Mama Melrose, I've been before and its good food.

IloveDisney71
03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I've only tried H&V once and it was AWFUL. We actually left hungry and had to get something to eat before going to Fantasmic. I've only done the Fantasmic dining pkg. once and I didn't really think it was necessary. I don't mind arriving for Fantasmic an hour early (my DD's are grown). We like to rest our feet, enjoy a snack, and spend time talking about our plans for the next day. I've seen Fantasmic at least 8 times and have never had a bad seat. But if you don't want to arrive that early, the pkg. would be great for you.