PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasmic to intense for 5yr. old

Von-Drake
03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a 5 yr. old Autistic son and was wondering if the Fantasmic show might be too intense or frightening for him. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

crazykids
03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
None of my kids are scares of Fantasmic & they are ages 2, 4, & 5. My 5 year old has mild PDD & ADHD & it doesn't bother him. My 4 yr old daughter has some sensory issues, one of which includes loud noises, & is doesn't bother her either. It really depends on what triggers your son. There are some fireworks & explosions, if you think that might be too intense, then try to prepare him for that. If the loud noises scare him, one suggestion might be earplugs if he'll wear them. It's really a great show. I would give it a try & just sit in the back, if things start to become an issue, you can always get up & leave. I would also recommend getting a Fantasmic dinner package to limit your wait time to get in.

animalkingdomguy
03-25-2008, 08:54 AM
My DS has gone to Fantasmic since we was 3. If anything the sounds, lights and flames have captivated him. If you are concerned choose a seat towards the rear of the amphlitheater. Otherwise unless your child is extremely sensitive, I can't imagine fantasmic being anything but a joy and delight.

Nekochan
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
It really depends on your child. Fantasmic does have some pretty intense scenes and loud sounds. You have to realize your son may be in sensory overload by evening and not able to tolerate the show, or he may be in great shape for it. (bring earplugs - we used children's target shooting earmuffs for my son). A trip to Disney is great, but between the crowds, the rides, the food smells etc. it is easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you have sensory issues. We first brought my son to WDW at 7, and I don't think he could have handled the show then, but at 11 and 12 he did just fine with it.

Queen Stephanie
03-25-2008, 09:19 AM
The seating at Fantasmic is very large and I have learned that the closer you seat down toward the water, the more intense it feels and appears. I believe that if you sit at the top of the seating, which is farther away from the show, your child will not be intimidated, yet be able to see a full view of the show without the feeling of the heat and water effects. I will be fine!:thumbsup: The Queen

Deesdisney
03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
My DD 5 hates fireworks and scary things. She loved it. We sat near the top and it wasnt that bad. In fact she wants to go back and see it in Feb. again.

Von-Drake
03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all your input. I listened to the soundtrack for Fantasmic (with all the show effects) and wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually seen the show. Before my son was born my wife and went to see it and about 5 minutes in, everything stopped. After about an additional 10-15 minutes the lights came on and they announced the show was canceled due to pyro-technical difficulties. We were bummed out big time. We had awesome seats, we got their way early to get them. I believe we will try and make it this time, but will probably sit near the back and see how it goes. Thanks Again.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree with everyone else. Sitting towards the back of the theater might be a good idea if you think your son will be scared.

My kids have been going to Fantasmic since their first trips. They love it! :mickey:

I hope you have a great trip!

momof3+twins
03-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I took my DS when he was 4 and didn't seem scared at all.
I am going to take the twins (DS2, DD2) in October. They are scared of the trashtruck, helicopters and fighter jets that fly over our house. But, I have no concerns about this.
I don't think it is any worse than fireworks. You know how fireworks are, they are loud and scare the kids at first. But, they get over it. So, I really think that a five year old would be okay!!
Have fun!!

momof3+twins
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Okay, dumb me. I just read that your son is Autistic. I think it depend on how severe his autism is. I know that all kids are different and that autism varies in severity! I have a five year old with apraxia and have had him tested by the special school district a couple times. He is okay, but apraxia runs hand in hand with autism. So, I know pretty much about autism from all my research.
So, Fantasmic is of course loud like fireworks and has lasers. You know your child so go with that. I am going to check something and then send you a PM!

Hull-onian
03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I think that if you sit towards the back, that your son will do just fine. Make sure, if you can, that he gets some rest in between. Because it's light later, the show goes on a little later. That might be something to consider. Overall, I think it is a great show.:thumbsup:

Noahrk
03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
We went with our almost 3 year old twins and sat in the back and the were very frightened and had to leave. It was just too much for them. We will try again next year with ear plugs.:D

Meteora
03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey,

Fantasmic is my very favorite show in Disney, but I think some parts could be scary for sure. In addition to a couple of (very) loud noises, there's a rather extended sequence of the Night on Skull Mountain Fantasia scene in which that mountain-guy hurls skulls and souls scream and stuff. I would give it a try. If your son is able to tough out that stuff, the end will completely erase it from his memory.

Von-Drake
03-26-2008, 07:19 AM
I went to youtube last night and found some videos of Fantasmic. We will probably sit near the back and leave if we need to, but I hope he will be able to make it through. My wife has wanted to see this show for a long time.

vorchik
03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
My DD5 was a little bit scared but finally loved this show!

linedropper
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
We were there in Jan with my dd6 ds5 and ds2, my two year old did not seem scared but did want to hide his head, I think he was just tired. But my 5 and 6 year old were glued to everything going on! Should be fine IMO!

Steve:mickey:

MushuGrl
03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I say pop in Sleeping Beauty. If Maleficent on the TV screen is a problem (when I was five, she was. A BIG one. Now she's my fav. :thumbsup: ) then I say skip.

Mickey'sGirl
03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi VonDrake! I have a 9 yr old with Asperger's and a 4 yr old autistic son. They both LOVE Fantasmic. Our 4 yr old has many sensory issues including lights, sounds and heat -- and he can't sit still. We like to sit where we can make a quick exit if need be.

We booked the Fantasmic Package last time we went to minimize the waiting for the show. I loved that the kids didn't have to endure a long wait, and our fidgety quirky autistic 4 year old was MEZMERIZED. He wasn't frightened and didn't fidget for the whole show (except in an appropriate "Hey what a great show!" manner).

I say go for it, but highly recommend doing the package (dinner at Hollywood and Vine is a nice cool place for kids!).

:mickey: