PDA

View Full Version : Disney or Resale

Mrs Bus Driver
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
When buying DVC what advantages (if any) are there in buying direct from Disney? :mickey:

Johnno52
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Resales you can buy into all DVCs, and buy less than 150 pts. closing cost of about $400 for 100 pts. Per point cost is lower.
Disney only SSR and AKL. and buy minimum of 150 pts. No closing costs.

lockedoutlogic
03-24-2008, 11:41 PM
When buying DVC what advantages (if any) are there in buying direct from Disney? :mickey:

The advantages are that you get a full contract.....which would equate to about 10 or so years of membership more than a resale....

that is often glazed over on this topic.....but if you buy a resale....the contract will run out sooner.....that is a fact.....not a theory or minor thing

But i've softened on resales....as in that if disney continues to add units as they have with saratoga and animal kingdom.....you may have to book at the 11 month window and never get into another location at 7 months....every membership sold decreases the chances of getting rooms at non-home resorts....particularly at busy times

If i were you....i'd save up and wait another year or so until they begin to sell at contemporary....the most "prime" of locations to most and a good home resort to have.....with the full contract

We purchased Saratoga in 11/06...which is fine.....but would not have done so if we would have known that they were going to announce AKV 25 days later and begin selling less than 3 months after that.....

Disney's veiled secrecy.....stupidity in our case....changed our entire view of the sales process......as we let them know....not that it matters

DVC Mike
03-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Initial Purchase from DVC

You can get the exact number of points that you want (although you must buy a minimum of 160)
Faster than resale (you will be in the system and have your points and be able to make reservations much faster than resale)
No worries about the purchase if Disney executes ROFR, since that only applies to resale purchases
More expensive cost per point than the resale market
You can finance through DVC, and Disney doesn’t report the loan to credit reporting agencies
You can pay with a Rewards credit card and get points/cash back
The full set of points you buy will be available immediately, versus a resale contract which may be “stripped” of points.
If you don’t want the resorts they are currently selling (AKV/SSR), you may have to do some firm talking to a guide to convince them you really want an older resort.Initial Purchase via Resale

You may not get the exact number of points you want
You can purchase less than 160 points for your initial buy-in to DVC (Disney won’t let you buy less than 160 points).
It will take much longer to get into the DVC system and have your points (resales typically take 6-8 weeks)
Disney may exercise ROFR and you may loose the resale and have to start all over (When buying resale, one of the potential pitfalls to try to avoid is making an offer that will cause Disney to exercise it’s Right of First Refusal)
Resale is typically less expensive then buying from DVC
You can’t finance through DVC, although most resale brokers will recommend a finance company
A resale contract may be “stripped” of points where the user has used many of the current year’s points, and may have borrowed some or all of next year’s points. Just be aware of “stripped” contracts on the resale market.
Easier to pickup large point packages at any of the older DVC resorts.

doodleboy
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
We bought a resale at BCV in 2006 and I couldn't be happier with it. I purchased 200 points from someone on ebay, and paid $85 per point. We looked at BCV when it was first released for sale but decided not to take the leap at the time. We regreted that decision ever since. BC has always been our favorite place to stay, so BCV was a natural choice. If you are attached to a particular location, you should attempt to make that your home resort so that you can get 11month priority. That does make a big difference at some resorts. I was not able to book a week six months out at BCV last year for halloween.

I think the Cotemporary is going to be another winner for its location alone. We have stayed at that resort in the past and love being able to walk back to our room, when everyone is waiting in line for monorail or buses.

MarkC
03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Completely agree with doodleboy's post above. We also bought a resale for BCV. Don't compare Disney vs. resale. Pick out the place you will want to stay the most and buy there. To me, that is clearly the number criteria in determining how to buy. Best of luck whatever you decide. Mark

JMTStone
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
We purchased Saratoga in 11/06...which is fine.....but would not have done so if we would have known that they were going to announce AKV 25 days later and begin selling less than 3 months after that.....

That got you too?!!!? I was signing my forms as they announced AKV and I LOVE AKL!!!! Its my favorite. I was ready to trade in and go for AKV but we had already booked our first DVC trip.

tomatoe pie
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
i think they are pretty close to the same. with dvc they pay the closing cost and with resale you pay the closing cst. resale is just a little less.

the main thing is to buy at your favorite resort if possible altho you can still use the pts at all other resorts. disney may be out of pts at the older resorts that are sold out but will put you on a wait list. their price may be closer to the price that ssr and akv are selling for, but i am not sure. they only time i asked to be put on a wait list was a couple of years ago and i never heard from it. more than likely an accidental oversite. i do know that they will try to get what you want if possible.

the older dvc resorts will not have as many years left on the contract , hense the lower price. the price is not lower because it is a resale, but because of the age of the resort.
disney recently extended the contract years on old key west, which, i think is the oldest. that gives okw owners a good many extra years! fantastic!!! :thumbsup: