PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July crowds -- how to plan?

Aurora
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
My sister, her DH and their four boys, 13, 12, 11 and 4, will be at the Grand Californian Resort July 4-6 to visit Disneyland. This is their first trip to Disneyland. I've told her what I've read about crowd levels on July 4, and the 5th and 6th are on Saturday and Sunday. Because of work and airfare, they're locked into their travel plans.

My question is how can they prepare for the crowds? Should they go to DCA on July 4 (Friday) and save DL for Saturday and Sunday? Or will that make any difference? Are the July 4 fireworks worth staying in the park that day, especially with a 4-year-old?

They really need help. Thanks in advance.

tinkwest
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
My opinion is that on days such as these, no plan is the best plan. Well . . . maybe a few plans such as reservations at a special restaurant or timely arrival for a parade or entertainment that is important to them. But as far as deciding which park on which day, get a feel for the crowds and park hop like mad! Staying at the GCH makes nap time and pool time an easy part of the day too. As for the fireworks, yes they are spectacular, but gauge it by the child. Don't force it on him.

One thing that worked for us and our kids, who are 6 years apart in age, was to split up for part of the day. One parent with younger child for Fantasyland and one parent with older child and thrill/height restricted rides. Then later in the day, or the next day, switch the groups around.

I have been during the 4th of July holiday twice. Once the crowds were almost nonexistent, the next year they were heavy. But we still had fun and got a lot done. Just relax, and accept what you can't change. The parks are open for a lot of hours so that is in their favor.

MegaDisney
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
My only advice is to plan on it being CRAZY busy. Pack a little extra paitence and understanding for your fellow man, relax and enjoy!

I have only had one crowd related meltdown at Disneyland and it was on the 4th of July.

The park will be packed!

:mickey:

Speedy1998
03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
My advice is to get there when the park opens, crowds are always lightest first thing in the morning.