PDA

View Full Version : Vent....

jeddalynn
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I just opened a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency saying that they've reassesed my tax return from LAST YEAR and decided they gave me too much money back so I know owe them 500$$!!!!

And DH is going to be losing his job in another month. What a kick in the teeth!:mad:

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. What a major bummer!!!! :(

Hair_Razor
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh Man I really feel for you! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will let you make some kind of payment plan.

Jasper
03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I am not familiar with the Canadian system but I know that here in the U.S. you have the right to appeal such a claim. I don't know if you can do so or if it will do any good but I would never pay any such claim without an appeal. My experience with the American system is that if you appeal you may not get rid of the entire amount assessed but you may very well get it reduced.

jeddalynn
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I just heard back from my accountant he said that he'd get in touch with the powers-that-be, but he also said, basically the goverment can do what it likes. What SEEMS to have hapened was they decided to change the rules about tuition deductions (I'm a student) after the fact. So they can show up twelve months later and tell you to fork over the money.

It just feels so unfair. This is literally a YEAR after the fact! And the letter they sent made no sense! I feel like someone just showed up and said "gimmee 500 bucks!" ARGH.

DVCWDWMEMBER
03-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I am so sorry that you had this happen to you. I hope that you will be able to make arrangements to at least pay payments.

RenDuran
03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
That really stinks!

If it's any consolation....I just got a bill from surgery I had two years ago! It's so annoying when you think you're all caught up with everything and something like that shows up.

Good luck with your tax assessment.

jeddalynn
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Wow, Renduran, TWO years really stinks.

Thanks for you support, everyone.

kakn7294
03-25-2008, 08:37 AM
If it's any consolation....I just got a bill from surgery I had two years ago!I'm not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't pay that until I did a bit of research. I believe that here in PA, there is a statute of limitations on how long we have to bill someone for services provided and although the bill can still be sent beyond the time frame, it doesn't have to be paid.

I'm sorry to hear about the tax bill too. It really stinks that they can do these things!

tinkerbell04
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope that things start to look up for you soon.

Dakota Rose
03-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh that just stinks! I hope you and your accountant can find a way out of it! Good luck!

MsMin
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't pay that until I did a bit of research. I believe that here in PA, there is a statute of limitations on how long we have to bill someone for services provided and although the bill can still be sent beyond the time frame, it doesn't have to be paid.

I'm sorry to hear about the tax bill too. It really stinks that they can do these things!

Kathy I think the government is excluded ;)
Actually here if you don't make a payment they have no legal claim after a year (something like that) BUT the government has up to three years to review and change your taxes. I know they can go back 3 years. The plus side is you can go back 3 years and claim a refund.
That really stinks. People leave off so many deductions that I would want to check it. Do Canadians have Turbo Tax? I love it b/c it does all the work for me. My dad is a retired CPA and he uses it.
So sorry to hear the news. I hope it works out for you. :(