PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the opening of the Magic Kingdom

dumbo ears
03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I have never been to MK right at the opening of the park and next sunday Im going there and Im planning on being there at 9 for the opening. I have a few questions:

1. How crowded is it and where do you have to wait?
2. Do they do any show to open it?
3. What is a good time to be there by? we were thinking around 8:35-8:45?
4. Do people really sprint to attractions?
5. Where is the main place people go at opening? WE are planning to go ride peter pan then HM then go to splash mountain and thunder mountain?
6. How crowded is the bakery at opening and are we better to get something at the resort?
By the way we are staying at the AKL and are there any good places there to get a quick breakfast?

Well these are all my questions so thanks ahead for anwers and later:thumbsup:

BronxTigger
03-23-2008, 03:44 PM
1. The crowd levels depend on the day of the week and the time of the year. It seems that if MK has had pmEMH the night before, crowd levels are lower than they would usually be for whatever time of year it is.

You go through security and also through the turnstiles. You wait in front of the big Mickey head and train station.

2. There is a show. It is done in front of the train tracks in the middle. There is dancing and a song. Some characters come in on the train and then a chosen family throws out some pixie dust after a countdown. Then, the ropes at the two tunnels will be opened.

3. 8:45 should be good enough, but if you want to be towards the front, 8:30 is better. Stand closer to the tunnels to be the first to go in, but closer to the middle to see the show best.

4. CMs discourage running, but some people disregard that. Sometimes they let people onto Main Street a couple of minutes before 9 and then there is a second rope at the entrance to the lands. Once at Tomorrowland, they walked the rope a bit and the CMs led the way so people would not run.

5. I've always gone to Space Mountain first so I don't know about the others. I have been in good company so I know a LOT of people also go to Tomorrowland first.

6. It is a good idea to eat a little something before you head to the park so you can catch a few rides while the lines are very short. I've always eaten a light breakfast in the room and then gone to the parks. I will then try to eat as close to 11am as possible for lunch, because that is when most of the CS places open. The lines are very short at that time and I will have gotten in 2 hours of usually very light crowds before I eat. I've never gone to the bakery right at opening so I can't answer your direct question.

7. I haven't stayed at AKL but I believe there is a CS place (Mara). I'm assuming it would offer breakfast. Another option if you are not a big breakfast eater is to bring some granola bars or buy a pastry each night as you leave the parks to eat the following morning.

kakn7294
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
1. How crowded is it and where do you have to wait?It can be fairly crowded because everyone has to wait outside the main entrance turnstiles - it can get cramped there very quickly.

2. Do they do any show to open it?There is a show with Mickey and friends at the train station - it's really a great way to start the day.

3. What is a good time to be there by? we were thinking around 8:35-8:45?The opening show starts at 8:45a so be there about 8:30a to 8:40a if you want to catch the show. Be there much earlier if it matters whether you are near the front of the turnstile line.

4. Do people really sprint to attractions?Yep - as much as they are allowed by CM's - some control the crowds better than others.

5. Where is the main place people go at opening? WE are planning to go ride peter pan then HM then go to splash mountain and thunder mountain?Can't really say - many are trying to wake up Tink at Tinkerbell's Treasures. Others are trying to be first in line at the biggies - POTC, BTM, Splash, HM, etc.

6. How crowded is the bakery at opening and are we better to get something at the resort? By the way we are staying at the AKL and are there any good places there to get a quick breakfast?The bakery here is great but I don't know how crowded it gets right after rope drop. If you don't want to waste time once you're in MK, eat at your resort before you arrive. I haven't stayed at AKL so I can't answer where to grab something there although I'm betting there's someplace fantastic there!

cfoshe
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
we go straight to Peter Pan. Going there first is great in July, because it does not take long for the ride to be a 45min wait.

The Bakery fills up fast also. I have seen the line out the door and has taken 20 mins to get thru.

Duchess99
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
6. How crowded is the bakery at opening and are we better to get something at the resort?
By the way we are staying at the AKL and are there any good places there to get a quick breakfast?

I've never been early, so this is the only question I can really answer. The Mara at AKL is great for a quick breakfast. They have breakfast sandwiches, cereal, yogurt, fruit cups, etc... I'd recommend grabbing something there before you leave to maximize your time at the park.

many are trying to wake up Tink at Tinkerbell's Treasures.

What time does this happen? Is it right after park opening?

Bobby T
03-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I would definitely avoid the Bakery in the morning. A combination of groggy guests and kids who don't know what they want for breakfast is not a good way to start the magic. Head to Space Mountain instead. :D

wdwfansince75
03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Been there in May, June, July, and Dec....Last few years, they let you through the turnstiles, and hold you outside the tunnels....Have done Space Mtn or Splash Mtn....usually grab a fast pass for a second early ride before entering queue. Before Splash Mtn opened, tried BTMRR first...

DW is not a morning person....best strategy (its worked since 1964) is for me to make a pot of coffee, leave half for her, and head for the parks....We rendezvous for breakfast or an early lunch...

Frankly don't understand getting everyone up and ready, travelling to the parks for opening, and spend the first half hour waiting for a drink and a muffin.....

kakn7294
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Yes, waking up Tink occurs right after park opening with the first guest in the store who either asks or is asked to wake her up. Do a thread search here and you'll find more information and tips on how to get a chance at it.

MinnieMommie
03-25-2008, 04:06 AM
AKL has good CS. I recommend you eat there or bring a quick snack to eat while you are coming to MK (like a granola bar). If you are in the park first thing it is best to use that initial time to go on the long line rides rather than to eat first. The Main St Bakery is very good though and I highly recommend it (just not first thing). Go first thing to a ride you really like and pick one that has a long wait time. We power walk to Peter Pan and go on PP 2 or 3 times. You can head to Space from there and then take a train to Frontier Land a do Thunder M and Splash (or vice versa). I like to get to the parks 30 minutes prior to the opening. :mickey:

MickeyChick
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I can't wait to see the rope drop show when we're there in August. I'm such a dork, I'll be there 2 hours early with my ears on!

crazygoalie39
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
1. How crowded is it and where do you have to wait?

You wait in front of the train station.

2. Do they do any show to open it?

Yes, it's pretty good.:mickey:

3. What is a good time to be there by? we were thinking around 8:35-8:45?

We usually arrive at around 8:30.

4. Do people really sprint to attractions?

Some people try to.

5. Where is the main place people go at opening? WE are planning to go ride peter pan then HM then go to splash mountain and thunder mountain?

Most people go to the right and into tommorowland to ride SM, but we usually go to left and ride JC, POTC, etc. Last time we went we got done with adventureland, frontierland, liberty square, and fantasyland by 1, but I don't think that's usually how it goes.:D

I don't know how crowded it will be but I would advise not eating breakfast at the park. Early in the morning is one of the best times to ride rides with the least wait times. We always eat breakfast in the resrot.