PDA

View Full Version : Motion sickness and dramamine for rides

jacknsally02
03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I use dramamine for the plane for motion sickness, has anyone who has this problem ever tried it for rides? I was wondering since I would like to try soaring and thought maybe it would help..

stitch34
03-23-2008, 11:35 AM
My dad uses it on rides and it works for him but he said that he didn't need it for Soaring.

BronxTigger
03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
I've used it before for rides. I just take one in the morning and don't worry about it. I use the Dramamine 2 formula so I'm not drowsy all day.

However, in recent years I haven't taken it and I've been fine. In the past I took it basically each morning.

DNS
03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I have never thought of trying this. I wonder if it would work if you took it after a ride. I want to try EE, but the backwards part I'm just not sure of. I'd rather only take it if I actually get sick.

poohbearlover15
03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I wouldnt take anything because I have really bad motion sickness in cars and planes but when im on a ride im perfectly fine! So try not taking anything and see if you are ok!

DizneyFanz
03-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I have never thought of trying this. I wonder if it would work if you took it after a ride. I want to try EE, but the backwards part I'm just not sure of. I'd rather only take it if I actually get sick.

I'm pretty sure that the Directions for Use on the Dramamine package directs you to take it BEFORE you encounter the environment that will cause you to have motion sickness. I actually think they recommend taking it a few hours before.

chick20679
03-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I get really motion sick - planes, trains, automobiles - you name it really.
However, I normally feel only slightly queasy on Soarin'. Never enough to feel like I need to take anything. Normally the feeling passes quite quickly. (Expedition Everest however, is another story - the backwards motion makes me feel quite :sick:. And Star Tours. And I haven't even tried Mission:Space out of fear of feeling sick afterwards - it really can ruin the rest of the day.)

One of the things I have found most useful are ginger chews.:number1: You might want to try them. They are small individually wrapped chews that you can have handy right in your bag or fanny pack. Ginger can help with the queasy feeling and with the 'cold sweat' feeling.
And if you do take dramamine to try to block the effects of motion sickness, follow the directions on the bottle. Dramamine works best for me if I take it 30 mins or so prior to the activity invovled.

Hope this helps! :mickey:

Tink2002
03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I would take dramamine ahead of time, before the ride, just to be on the safe side. However, my boyfriend gets motion sickness if we're just traveling down a windy road in the car and he was not bothered at all by soarin' - it really is pretty tame, but VERY COOL. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
03-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I tried taking Dramamine when we went in August so I could ride more things with my DH since this was our anniversary trip. I took it before leaving the hotel and took it again when it said it was safe to take it again or took the 12 hour version. I was fine on everything. I had never ridden Soarin before and this helped tremendously the first time. The second time, I really didn't need it because I knew what to expect and kept my eyes on one object to keep from getting sick. If you get motion sickness at all for anything, I would recommend taking it in the morning before going to the parks and you will be set. I know I will be taking it again next time so I won't have to worry about what rides I can ride. DH is a pilot and even he got a little nausous on MS. That one, I won't ride. :)

disneylovinmom
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
If you plan to ride Expedition Everest, then you really need to take something. My daughter has never gotten sick on any ride until we rode that one. It's a doozy with all the switching from forward to backward. Another lady I know had to seek medical atention after riding it. It is a great ride, though.:mickey:

MushuGrl
03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I always take the non-drowsy kind with me - it rocks! I take one every morning before hitting the parks.

I actually found the shoot back into the mountain after the drop at EE to be worse than the backwards part. Didn't get queasy, thought.

Mainly because I lost my stomach. :blush:

wedway fan
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
never considered taking anything, but i might now...getting more *ahem* sensitive :sick: as i gracefully age. might need to pick up some dramamine.

still refuse to ride the teacups, though- with or without the aid of chemistry.

brewcrew26
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I take Dramamine right before hopping on Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. Works like a charm if I know the wait is going to be longer so we get in the standby line, I grab my bottle water, and a pill and let it do its magic. I'm fine thru the ride and don't feel a thing.

I didn't do this for Test Track. I'm normally fine in cars, but the ride messed up my equilibrium and I was sick the rest of the trip. Definitely will use Dramamine for that and Expedition Everest. I was fine when I was on Soarin' at Disneyland other than getting used to the height (I have a severe fear of heights).

I wish Dramamine worked for Tower of Terror -- DH is so frustrated that I can't ride that!!

*tinker_belle*
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I used to deal with slight motion sickness when i was younger and to this day i still need to ride in the front seat with the window cracked on a winding road. No Disney attraction has ever made me nauseous ever. However on Soarin it is a good idea to look straight ahead at the screen and not look at the sides of the screen, i got quite dizzy looking at the sides.
I used to chew spearmint or peppermint gum to ease my stomach and whoever mentioned ginger chews, those are also a good idea. I always try and take a natural approach opposed to medicines.

Goofy Texan
03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Another option are Sea Bands. These are tight knit bands with a plastic button on them. You place them on each wrist about two fingers width from your palm. The button goes on the inside of the wrist and pushes down on the nerve that sends motion information to the brain. Its like accupuncture without the needle. I like them because no chemistry is involved. I only wear them when I need to. They work great, I did Mission Space and rode the tea cups with a teenager the last time I was there, with no problems at all.

You can buy them from Walmart, Target or most drug stores for about $8.

WhiteRose1
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I have seasonal mild vertigo due to allergies etc, and I was able to ride Mission:Space with some Dramamine non drowsy about 45 min before riding. I felt a tiny bit woosy afterwards, but it quickly faded. (this was back in 2003.) I can not ride anything that goes in circles like the a Merrygoround or teacups.

hnybear22
03-25-2008, 02:06 AM
I get extremely motion sick even in a rockingchair or on a onramp that is curved.
I always go to my Dr before Disney and request the motion sickness patches that go behind your ear.
They are great!! No worring about being sleepy or forgeting to take the pills at regular intervals. They only have to be changed every 2 days and deliver a steady stream of the medicine.
I was able to ride space mountain, soarin, EE-and TOT for the first time without being worried about :sick:ruining everyones trip :party:

DisneyDudet
03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't suffer from it, but you can also use Bonine, which is non-drowsy. I cruise, and most people like Bonine above Dramamine, even the non-drowsy.

Always take it BEFORE doing anything w/ motion sickness.

Belle619
03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I'll have to try these tips because I'm always afraid I'll get sick on rides.

I can't ride the teacups or anything that spins like that, but I also have a problem on Space Mountain because of the illusion of spinning from the lighting effects.

And, I really want to try EE, but I know the backwards part will do me in! :sick: