PDA

View Full Version : Help for Pin Trading w/ Speech-Generating Device

alaMode
03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Hola!

My DS (8) is excited about pin-trading at WDW. He uses a speech-generating device to communicate.

I want to make a pin-trading "page" on his talker, however, we've never done this before and I don't know what phrases to include beyond:

"Want to trade pins?"
"Thank you"
"You're welcome"

If you are an experienced pin trader and can think of any phrases/words I should include on the page, please share your thoughts with me!

Thanks!
Tess
Poly in 10 days!!!!!!!

JPL
03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
How about

Can I trade this pin for that one?

Maybe a few common types of pins for trading with CMs

Like "Can I trade for the Mickey Pin"

There are so many different scenario and pins it can be difficult and I am not familiar with how the device works but if possible maybe Can I trade for and if there is a fill in the blank type option where you can list some charcters, parks, and attractions? Then your son can select the next word and fill in what pin he wants from the lanyard or as close to it as possible.

kswiz
03-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Other ideas:

May I see your pins please?
May I look at your lanyard please?

khkymanager
03-24-2008, 05:37 PM
:mickey:Hi as an avid pin trader and a special ed teacher we have some children who use talkers so i'm familiar with your concerns. I would think it would be easier to program the talker with "may I trade with you for that...." and then list the characters, or "ride pin". The cast members with green lanyards are only allowed to trade with children, they maybe more patient and understanding. You can't mess up it will be a great experience for your son

Here we go again...
03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
"May I see you pins" would be #1 on the list.
The cast member always holds the lanyard out so the person can see the pins and touch them without touching the cast member.

Your son will be able to point to the one he wants to trade.

Some cast members will not let you trade in a pin that is already on their lanyard. So, if the one your son is giving them is on their lanyard, you may need a back up.

The only other thing he would need is a "Thank You". That would work if he decides he does not want to trade or if he completes the trade.

alaMode
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the great suggestions! I know my son is going to love pin-trading. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Tess
Poly in 1 week!

Here we go again...
03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Thank you for the great suggestions! I know my son is going to love pin-trading. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Tess
Poly in 1 week!

Tess, I sent you a private message...