PDA

View Full Version : What's Happened to Dunkin Donuts?

Marilyn Michetti
03-22-2008, 12:19 AM
In our area, every single Dunkin Donuts has closed to "remodel", even though one of them is brand new.

I drive 35 mi. every Sat for a class, and they're
all closed up there too.,

WHAT WILL I DO, without my Sat. morning coffee roll and coffee?

Anyone know anything/:(

BronxTigger
03-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Here in NYC, they have changed their menu as well as the way they cook the food. However, I don't remember them closing.

I usually get the sausage/egg/cheese on a croissant. Before, they microwaved it. Now, they put it in a toaster oven. It essentially tastes the same, but the new oven allows them to add items to the menu. Many of these new items are lunch foods, such as pizza and panini sandwiches. They also have added hashbrowns (the tator tot type).

I suspect this could be what they are doing. Also, some Dunkin Donuts here are dual stores that include Baskin Robbins. Considering you are in a very hot area, they may be adding an ice cream section?

Stitchahula
03-22-2008, 06:59 AM
So glad they aren't closing around here. Hopefully they will get things done fast so you won't have to go long without your dunkin.

Tinkerfreak
03-22-2008, 08:08 AM
I love Dunkin Ds but all the food they keep adding to the menu is really slowing things down. There is no getting a quick cup of coffee anymore. If the person in front of you orders sandwiches you know your in for a long wait. I went to the one here in Brunswick, ME the other day and they had a great idea. They had a line set up for "coffee only". Anyone getting just a coffee could get in that line and it moved alot quicker. It seemed to be working pretty well.

tinkerbell04
03-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Here in NYC, they have changed their menu as well as the way they cook the food. However, I don't remember them closing.

I usually get the sausage/egg/cheese on a croissant. Before, they microwaved it. Now, they put it in a toaster oven. It essentially tastes the same, but the new oven allows them to add items to the menu. Many of these new items are lunch foods, such as pizza and panini sandwiches. They also have added hashbrowns (the tator tot type).

I suspect this could be what they are doing. Also, some Dunkin Donuts here are dual stores that include Baskin Robbins. Considering you are in a very hot area, they may be adding an ice cream section?

That is the same thing that they are doing here, but they didn't close. One day they had their regular menu, and the next day, you could get pizza. About half of ours in Baltimore have the Baskin Robbins attached as well.

NJ Camper
03-22-2008, 09:55 AM
we have 4 in our town 1 is a dual store but all are newer or redone and all have that newer menu talked about good luck and hope yours is open soon

MsMin
03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
:crying: well, Marilyn I guess this means you will never come to visit... we don't have a dunkin doughnut... :crying: Hope yours reopen real soon..

Dakota Rose
03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
We don't have a Dunkin' either. :(

brewcrew26
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Living in Boston a few years back, there was one on every corner (there were even two inside one of our college buildings!). I couldn't escape the burnt coffee, but the oh-so-good Boston Creme Donuts.

Here in Milwaukee, we only have like three. I recently read that Dunkin Donuts wants to open up a bunch of new stores in targeted markets like Milwaukee in the next year.

During our wedding last month, one of our best friends who is a lifelong Boston kid but now lives in LA, was jonesing for some DD and it was hilarious how we immediately left the airport to make a beeline for the nearest one! Some people just can't live without it!

Beach Club Babe
03-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Actually, in our area "almost" all of them have closed. Apparently the majority of the franchises around here were owned by the same person. Apparently, he was "late" on payments to corporate and one day they just shut them down. People were lining up in the drive-thru and waiting a long while, not realizing that they were closed. We still have 2 or 3 that are still open, but not really close to me. There are signs in the wiondows, saying it is temporary and they say they are looking for new franchise owners.

crazypoohbear
03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I haven't noticed anything around here but then
I don't drink coffee! :eek::jaw:
tried it once :sick:
never again.

I'm surprised that Dunkin Donuts is in Az.
I didn't think they stretched that far west.
Hopefully, you'll get your fix soon

Boojum
03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
...is that Krispy Kreme is kicking their collective booties. We've known and loved KK in the South for years, and now it's gone nationwide!!

BronxTigger
03-23-2008, 02:27 PM
...is that Krispy Kreme is kicking their collective booties. We've known and loved KK in the South for years, and now it's gone nationwide!!

I don't like Krispy Kreme. It's wayyyyy too sweet!

MamaStyles
03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Dunkin' is alive and well here in FLorida! I have one right around the corner. (Gotta have my 'fix' of DD coffee having moved from the Boston area)

Love to fly JetBlue, serving DD coffee, especially good on those early AM flights!!:cloud9::mcoffee:

-----------------------

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow,...
Shining at the end of ev'ry day

DisFan01
03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Yup, we have a few around us in Florida too.

They recently refurbished one...but it's open again. :cloud9:

crazypoohbear
03-23-2008, 07:18 PM

The Boston folks must be partial to Dunkin
The Krispy Kreme that I remember opening in Somerville closed down here. I'm not sure if the one in the Prudential is still open.
So I guess Boston folk just need Dunkin

tinksmom02
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Love love LOVE krispy kreme, but I think you're off about your guess. We had a K.K. in our area, but they closed down about 18 months ago. There aren't any others in the area, or the whole state of NJ, I don't think...I have to go into NYC to get my krispy kreme fix.

busterthebronco
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
KK is the best!
when the "hot doughnut now" sign is on my car swerves right off the road and right through the drive thru.
DD is nice too but no doubt that KK has provided competetion here in ATL.
as for the question the one down the street closed and reopened as a combo deal with baskin robbins.

TheDuckRocks
03-24-2008, 09:33 AM
The Dunkin' Donut here in town has recently reopened after a very, very long remodel. Hang in there Marilyn, they will get them reopened. As I've been on Weight Watchers forever now I haven't yet been in to see what they have done to the place. It looks really nice as I drive by.:D

LauraF
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay, I work for DD Corporate, so I feel obligated to speak up for my munchkins :D . . . let me start one at a time. (Please do not quote me publically on any of this as this is off the record though everything I mention is available in the media.)

In our area, every single Dunkin Donuts has closed to "remodel", even though one of them is brand new.
This is often mandated by the franchisee agreements, though we work hard with the individual stores to minimize disruptions. If all the stores in your area are owned by the same franchisee, it's possible they all closed at once. As well there are new menu additions being added, so stores often have to close for a few hours or longer to accommodate electrical or other construction changes, but it'll be worth it! There are two in Mesa right now - 1953 E Southern Ave and 6606 E Mckellips Rd/#101. Neither are flagged as permanently closed so they should be opening soon if not already.

Also, some Dunkin Donuts here are dual stores that include Baskin Robbins. Considering you are in a very hot area, they may be adding an ice cream section?
Quite possible . . . depends on the area.

all the food they keep adding to the menu is really slowing things down. There is no getting a quick cup of coffee anymore.
Speed of service is an acknowledged problem and something that we're working on. A lot of it comes as the learning curve decreases for store employees and how well the stores are staffed. I went through the training on the new equipment myself and it takes a while to get really good at it. If you have major concerns, please contact our consumer care department - they would be happy to forward your concerns to the f/ee if you are unwilling or unable to speak to them yourself.

Actually KK is tanking nationally in sales, but they do make a good glazed donut. Just not anything else! :thedolls:

As I've been on Weight Watchers forever now I haven't yet been in to see what they have done to the place.
Did you know everything we have on our menu is now trans-fat free? That doesn't negate calories, but it helps!

brewcrew26
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
The Boston folks must be partial to Dunkin
The Krispy Kreme that I remember opening in Somerville closed down here. I'm not sure if the one in the Prudential is still open.
So I guess Boston folk just need Dunkin

I'm pretty sure the KK at the Prudential Center was closed when we were there in May '07. DH's family is from the Vermont area and I don't think they have 'em up there either. N'easters keeps DDs going strong.

garymacd
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
WHAT WILL I DO, without my Sat. morning coffee roll and coffee?(

You could always try to find a Tim Horton's doughnut shop - but I don't think they have made it down that far, yet.

Give it time, give it time...

Tinkerfreak
03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
You could always try to find a Tim Horton's doughnut shop - but I don't think they have made it down that far, yet.

Give it time, give it time...

They put in a Tim Hortons in Topsham, Maine about a year ago and it is great. I like Dunkin Donuts iced coffee's, Starbucks Latte's but for just a plain old good cup of coffee I have to say Tim Hortons is my favorite and they are alot cheaper.

garymacd
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Did you know everything we have on our menu is now trans-fat free? That doesn't negate calories, but it helps!

GREAT!!

A box of doughnuts and bucket of KFC and we're good to go to better health!:funny:

LauraF
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
GREAT!!

A box of doughnuts and bucket of KFC and we're good to go to better health!:funny:
But I guarantee you'll be happy on your deathbed!:D

AZ Disney
03-25-2008, 05:07 PM

I drive 35 mi. every Sat for a class, and they're
all closed up there too.,

WHAT WILL I DO, without my Sat. morning coffee roll and coffee?

Anyone know anything/:(

67th Ave/just North of 101 in the Safeway shopping center. Alive and well.

caryrae
03-25-2008, 05:38 PM

We had a bunch of K.K. where I live and they closed for good a few a while ago. Also the Holiday gas stations sold K.K. too but they stopped because the K.K. stores closed.

I also have never seen or know of any D.D. in my area either.

trackbarroness
03-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Love love LOVE krispy kreme, but I think you're off about your guess. We had a K.K. in our area, but they closed down about 18 months ago. There aren't any others in the area, or the whole state of NJ, I don't think...I have to go into NYC to get my krispy kreme fix.

There use to be one in brick, that I remember seeing back in the day that I use to live in Beachwood. Small world eh?

garymacd
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
But I guarantee you'll be happy on your deathbed!:D

You are so right!

Patty
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I can't help but giggle as I read this post. I moved to RI 11 years ago and the first thing that I noticed is that the whole state is addicted to Dunkin Donuts. It is hard to go anywhere in this state and not see one. I drive 4 miles to work and pass 5 of them. I think the whole state would go into depression if they ever closed. The sad thing is, that is the one RI custom that I have also become addicted to.

My name is Patty, and I am a Dunkin Donuts coffe addict. (medium regular please) ;)

BronxTigger
03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't help but giggle as I read this post. I moved to RI 11 years ago and the first thing that I noticed is that the whole state is addicted to Dunkin Donuts. It is hard to go anywhere in this state and not see one. I drive 4 miles to work and pass 5 of them. I think the whole state would go into depression if they ever closed. The sad thing is, that is the one RI custom that I have also become addicted to.

My name is Patty, and I am a Dunkin Donuts coffe addict. (medium regular please) ;)

This city is full of coffee addicts. Not necessarily Dunkin Donuts, but it seems like EVERYBODY has coffee in the morning. I've even seen kids with it.

There are 3 Dunkin Donuts within a 2 block radius of me. Go figure. :surf:

LauraF
03-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I moved to RI 11 years ago and the first thing that I noticed is that the whole state is addicted to Dunkin Donuts. It is hard to go anywhere in this state and not see one. I drive 4 miles to work and pass 5 of them.

It's a fact - there are more DD's in RI per capita than anywhere else in the world.

Funny story - I had a vendor travel in to TF Green and they had one of those nav systems in their rental car. For kicks they set it to go off every time they were within 2 miles of a DD. They told me it never stopped beeping! :funny: