PDA

View Full Version : Cast Members Going Downhill?

WDWdreamer87
03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I went Wednesday to Magic Kingdom with three of my good friends and we were in shock to find so many cast members "losing the magic."
Instead of calmly telling us to exit the ride, it was more "get off" and such, jokingly, but boy, it started to sound more threatening at each ride. We also saw a girl on Main Street trying to secretly text on her cell phone while trying to sell balloons. It was so sad, especially since it was so obvious and she was running into people. The balloon sellers were hitting people with the balloons, not watching where they were going, and just ignoring the customers. Also, while in line for Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear, CM's were doing the "your shoes are untied" joke...without any laughs. One man was extremely angry...my friend simply just stared at the CM.

I know being at Disney everyday can be boring
(NOT), but surely they would find nice ways to interact with people other than annoy them?
Anyone else witness this?

joanna71985
03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
No, thank goodness. I luckily have not run into any "bad" CMs yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.

wilshade
03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
The Cast Members are critical to me. I bring special needs adults down there almost every year. I have learned to lean on the CMs as they are very very good at what they do.

There is not a single CM who is unimportant to me. From the bus drivers, to the janitors, to the girls behind the candy counter in the MK. All play important roles in the quality of my guys' experiences.

Yes, there have been some who are "better" or more memorable than others. But, I have not run across a single one who did not add to the magic for my guys.

Strmchsr
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Disney is still WAY above average in the service industry but, unfortunately, the service industry overall is WAY down. The younger generations (and this is a big generality, I know, but a true one and I'm say this as a GenXer) have lost common manners, work ethic, and respect for others. Where previous generations felt they were defined by their work and thus put every ounce of their being into that work, today's younger generations work simply to make a paycheck. It used to be live to work, now it's work to live. So, yes, CM's are of lower quality than they used to be, but when you compare Disney or Chick-Fil-A to places like McDonalds or Six Flags, Disney is still far superior in customer service.

DisFan01
03-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I used to think that Disney CM's were getting bad (and they may be)...but going to Universal completely changed my mind! :sick:

Disney CM's are amazing compared to Universal's... :mickey:

Even though they may be getting more sloppy, they are better than most. ;)

PhilHarHarMagic
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
It was Monday or Tuesday, but the guy with the balloons on main street was trying to get them under control and hit me in the head - it was a balloon, so it didn't hurt. :ambal:

He didn't say a thing - I just kind of stared at him. Otherwise, I had a very typical experience for me the 5 days we were in the parks, nothing out of the ordinary. We did have some fun with the cast members on the TTA...
:funny:

pink
03-21-2008, 08:32 PM
We also saw a girl on Main Street trying to secretly text on her cell phone while trying to sell balloons. It was so sad, especially since it was so obvious and she was running into people. The balloon sellers were hitting people with the balloons, not watching where they were going, and just ignoring the customers. Also, while in line for Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear, CM's were doing the "your shoes are untied" joke...without any laughs. One man was extremely angry...my friend simply just stared at the CM.

Wow, that is terrible how many bad CM's you have encountered. I'm 18 but I still believe that texting or talking on the phone during any job is not approriate. The "shoes untied" joke thing is terrible too. I've been lucky enough not to run into too many bad CM's but it's obvious that there quality is decreasing.

:mickey:

ligirlz
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I too have not ran into any CM's that are that bad. Sure they have their moments who doesnt at a job. I still find they are as nice and pleasant as always. Also remember they have to deal with rude and crude guests too and don't always get the proper treatment I witnessed that quite alot.

Gator
03-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I used to think that Disney CM's were getting bad (and they may be)...but going to Universal completely changed my mind! :sick:

I agree. I went to SixFlags and it was completely different. No one really cared.

I have run into a bad Cm, though. I was going on Tower of Terror with a fastpass. I came up to the CM and he said "Oh, that's one no good." No smile, no punch line. "What?" "I said it's no good." I kept expecting him to say just kidding or laugh. But he and his partner just stared. I walked passed them and said "Then throw me out." Nothing serious, just a young teenager from the hood copping an attitude. Very un-Disney. But big brother can't keep an eye on every CM.

#1donaldfan
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
So far so good for us too.....

We've not encountered any sour, bad, unprofessional CM's....YET...

I'm seeing a slight increase of posts to this topic and I sure hope and pray that the CM's will continue to serve and excell at their jobs, contrary to the recent posts....:thumbsup:

dumbo ears
03-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I have always had a great past with cast members but I have noticed sometimes that cast members do stuff that would make Walt disney mad. for instance I was eating at the liberty tree inn at MK and our waiter was excellent but when he saw my sisters phone he started to talk to her about it and said he had the same one and this made me kinda mad because you would think the cast members of that restaurant would want to keep a old time mood. this just kinda bugged me. I know that when I do the college program there in a few years I will be the best cast member I can be.

Ms.Disney
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
The only "bad" experience I have had (with well over 50 visits to the parks) with a CM was at Le Cellier, it was our wedding night and had ADR's for 8:10 we got there around 7:45 of course I was told our table was not ready (I did'nt expect it would be) anyhow my husband and I sat down. As we were waiting I realized that at the check in desk there were menus we could take a look at. Well I picked one up and was giving it the once over when the cast member who had checked us in snatched it out of my hand!!!!! Mind you I do mean snatched it, so hard in fact that one of my acrylic finger nail was ripped sideways!! I just had my nails done the day before so ladies you know that sucker was on there good! Anyway after he snatched it from my fingers he said "did you ask to see that".....and I said well no...and he smiles and said just joking. Well my husband said right away I don't think that was funny at all mean while he doesnt even know that my nail had been jerked sideways and was ripped partially off. Then some other guy that was waiting said to my husband " hey lighten up he was being funny". Now I know that the poor guy was trying to be funny and thats why we didnt want to see the manger or anything crazy. But I can say thats the only bad experience I have ever had with a CM. On a side note I don't think he was a bad CM I think that he made a not so great choice. I am sorry to hear that you encountered CMs that were not so magical. It could have something to do with there pay. I have heard that there are a ton of CMs that don't make more that $8.00 an hour. I'm sure it's hard to put your life, soul and best efforts in to the job that barely pays your bills. But as other posters have said Disney's customer service is still by far the best.

GrmGrninGost
03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I feel the vast majority of CMs are still great! However, we have run into a growing number who are downright rude. I feel this may have something to do with the large number of people employed by WDW. As they expand, they have to hire more people. There comes a time when you may not be able to be as picky as you were in the past. Some people undeserving to be Disney CMs may get in. In my opinion, these CMs should be weeded out. The only way for this to happen is for us to pursue avenues of complaint. First, makes sure to get the persons name, the time and where the offense took place. Then, report it to someone in authority. Make sure they know how unhappy you are. Rude CMs and WDW go together like steak and mud. There is no room for them. Now, if I can find my ladder, I'll get down off my soap box.

Bringonthemouse!
03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
As someone who works with the public for a living I would also like to encourage everyone to PLEASE send a letter of compliment to Disney management as well. It is too easy to let the bad experiences overshadow the good. Try to remember the 20 great cast members you encountered who were fabulous over the one CM who may have been having a bad day. I am not trying to defend the CM's who are consistently crabby, but try to keep in mind just how many people on vacation they encounter in a day and just how demanding and rude some of us can be!
I think Disney cast members are :number1:

jwallace378
03-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd have to agree with Strmchsr's comments. I think that today's generation has less manners and courtesy than previous generations. I'm only 30 and I can see a huge difference in the younger generation. Of course it isn't ALL young people, but in general. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any discourtieous CMs yet.

TheRustyScupper
03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
1) Maybe some of the comments about CM's are true.
2) But, I am hesitant to actually blame the CM.
3) Sure, there are good ones, mediocre ones, and poor ones.
4) But, it is still a case of training and management.

5) The management team now has less training and less CM involvement.
6) They are taught "don't let the BS hit the Brass".
7) As long as complaints stop at their level, their job is done.
8) Managers used to be paid to manage and train their people.
9) Now, training and counseling with CM's is a lower priority.

NOTE: I do not say that all front line managers are bad, but many are truly mediocre. There are few training classes about being a good manager. As one WDW President put it, the culture of the younger cadre of mangers have "just gotten away from me" and the critical mass of momentum can't be changed.

teambricker04
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree with Bringonthemouse!, write some letters to Disney about bad experiences (good ones too!) so that they know how things are going from a visitors perspective. I bet they don't actually hear from guests terribly often, and if they heard more they would likely do something about it. If they don't know, how can they fix a problem?

My DH and I have an expression we use... Social Awareness. I don't know if this is a real thing, but we use it in the terms of people being aware of how their actions in public and social situation can effect and affect others around them. We find that in general, people are not aware of the world outside of their little bubble and it doesn't matter if they are out having fun or at work. We joke that we should give classes on how to be more aware, but seriously there are a whole lot of people who could use some education!!!

Jodi
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
We too, have noticed that CM's are no where near as friendly or helpful the past couple years, compared to 5 years ago. When my parents took us as kids, the CMs were fantastic, loved their job, were friendly, kind and genuine. Today, it seems like a chore for them to even try to be nice. That is sad....:cool:

Soul_Power
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
No matter where you go, there's always going to be that select few who ruin it and make the rest look bad.. CMs included! As a whole, though, they're much more pleasant and helpful than any other theme park employees I have encountered.

During my trip to WDW last summer, the only rude CMs I encountered were at POP's airline check-in the day we left. Other than that, we found the rest of the CMs to be great!

sainter
03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I know that there are those here who know for sure, but I am pretty sure that the airline check in people are not Disney employees. They are employed by the airline itself.

I know that we have run into helpful and friendly CM's 99% of the time. I especially LOVE it when anyone says "have a magical day" or Welcome home!"

mrte62
03-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Luckily, we haven't run into any "bad" CM's during our visits. However, as some unbelievable threads have pointed out, the behavior of guests continues to sink to new lows. :thedolls:

And we have seen some real winners that would make me a very unhappy CM!!

Dakota Rose
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm probably going to be flamed for this one, but the WDW CMs, even the grouchy ones, are considerably better than the CMs at DLR. On our last trip to WDW, we had one CM (a waitress) who was problematic. But on our last trip to DLR, I think we only encountered one CM who was actually happily doing her job. Everyone else was busy having personal conversations, using their cell phones, ignoring guests, etc.

TheRustyScupper
03-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I know that there are those here who know for sure, but I am pretty sure that the airline check in people are not Disney employees. They are employed by the airline itself.

1) The airline check-in (resort-to-airport) folks are employed by BAGS, Inc.
2) The company is the largest provider of skycap services.
3) They do this same service in many cities and many hotels.
4) They are independent of airlines, Disney and DME.

DigitalDaredevil
03-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I do not recall any bad CM's, but I have noticed that more and more CM's lack knowledge of the park, attractions, where to buy items, etc.
For example, when the Virtual Magic Kingdom store opened up, may CM's knew nothing about the store, or that there was an online virtual MK.
A nice history lesson on WDW would be a nice touch for CM's.
For the most part, CM's do a very good job and are usually very accommodating. Rarely will I ask a question and have the the CM not know it, or fail to find someone that knows the answer.
It is still the best Customer Service in the biz.

locodemickey
03-23-2008, 01:39 PM
We've had a couple of bad experiences. One was at the TTC. We wanted to ride in the front of the monorail and walked over to the bench to wait (there were no other guests there yet). A cast member came over and proceeded to chew us out for not asking (we also had our 2 kids with us). I was flabbergasted to say the least:( All he had to do was just tell us that the policy is to ask, not treat all of us like naughty children! The other cast member was at Primevil Whirl when we went back with our baby swap ticket and fast pass and she would not let us back on. I explained to her the process and she refused. I have been using the child swap for years and know how it is used. I asked for the manager and she also refused. I went to customer relations and confirmed with them that they were wrong! I don't know if they did anything with them (hopefully educated them how to actually use the child swap system) but wouldn't you think that the people working there would know how the child swap worked:confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-23-2008, 01:40 PM
A nice history lesson on WDW would be a nice touch for CM's.
For the most part, CM's do a very good job and are usually very accommodating. Rarely will I ask a question and have the the CM not know it, or fail to find someone that knows the answer.
It is still the best Customer Service in the biz.

The thing is that we are given a history of the company. A pretty good amount of info. And each CM has a walking tour of their location when they are hired. So MK CM's have to tour the entire park, even if they are working BOH or in Main Street USA.

The problem is that most CM's don't have a strong passion for the company, like some of us do. I will say I am one of the more....obsessive CM's at work. And for that reason, a lot of my collegues will come find me because there is a 80% that if they don't know it, I will. I don't know everything by any means and everyday I learn something new, but I know a great deal more than most of the people I work with, including my leaders.

What I am trying to say is that if they are just there because they need money, they won't put the effort to learn more about the company or its history, the park's layout and services, how to get from one park to the next, the basic layout of the parks. Not all CM's go the step to memorize the codes for each resort so that when you show me your room key, I can ask you how your stay at that resort is going (because that code at the bottom does have a purpose - but don't worry, it's never going to have your room number on it).

But I think that yes, Disney is still quite a few notches above the rest of the theme parks based on my experiences as well as those who I go to school with.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I've only had a couple. In 96 my sister and I weren't allowed into PI and the lady checking IDs shoved her into the pole and she had a huge bruise on her leg the next day. We both had valid IDs but she said we looked like we were only 14.

On our last trip we had a couple of problems with the staff at CBR. At the concierge desk and at the food court. Extremely rude!

Speedy1998
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm going to defend the CMs on this one. I was in the park everyday this past week. Couple things you have to remeber 1) The park opened at 7am on Monday and Friday and 8 am the rest of the week, and was staying open until 1 am or 3 am when there were extra magic hours. 2) This past week was one of the busiest weeks of the year (hence the long hours). All the cast members I talked to were working 10 hour shifts, so knowing that, I completely understood if they were a little less than cheery.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm going to defend the CMs on this one. I was in the park everyday this past week. Couple things you have to remeber 1) The park opened at 7am on Monday and Friday and 8 am the rest of the week, and was staying open until 1 am or 3 am when there were extra magic hours. 2) This past week was one of the busiest weeks of the year (hence the long hours). All the cast members I talked to were working 10 hour shifts, so knowing that, I completely understood if they were a little less than cheery.

I don't and won't defend them. I'm one of those CM's working long days, not to mention I actually go to college full time - I'm taking 7 upper-level classes at 18 credits. I go straight to work and stay there until 2-3am after having been in classes since 7am.

When I go to work, I'm about to pass out and backstage, I'm usually leaning on the front desk, catching a cat nap. When I go onstage, it's like I've been sleeping for 1000 years. It might be forced, and if you look long enough, you might notice it, but I try my hardest to be nice.

McGoofy
03-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Our family has been to Disney many, many times and Disney is by far the best customer experience that we have encountered. Yes, I can think of a few times when there has been the rare CM that was a little less than "magical," but that has been few and far between. I can think of many, many more times when I have been to my local McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. and had horrible customer service.

This past February I had an extreme situation that a very kind Haunted Mansion CM helped me with. She really went above and beyond what I would have expected anyone to do in order to help me. I was very grateful. When I got home, I sent in an e-mail through the WDW website. I explained who she was and what she did to help me in hopes that she would get some sort of "credit" for what she did. A few weeks later, I received a phone call from WDW and they wanted to tell me thank you for sending in the e-mail and assured me that her superiors would be notified of her actions.

I really can't say enough good things regarding the excellent customer service that I have experienced at WDW.

blake0
03-24-2008, 02:49 AM
The first time I went to Disneyland was August of 1955 and have been hundred's of times since then. I will admit that the level of customer service has gone down over the years, but it is still way above anywhere else my wife and I have been. 95% of all CM's that we have had contact with have been nothing but professional and "Disney" like in every way. This is one of the many reason why we will go to Disneyland rather than any where else. You will run into a CM from time to time that does not have the Disney spirit but you just need to ignore them then report them to town hall if they have been really rude.

diz_girl
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been to WDW several times over the years and I don't recall a particularly rude CM. Guests, yes, but not CMs.

I'm sure that CMs deal with A LOT of rude guests and it's amazing how well they deal with them. For example, ten years ago, my family (Me, DH, Mom, Dad, DS and BIL) were staying at WL. The resort wouldn't check us in until the entire party had arrived (I understand that's how the system worked back then). Unfortunately, my mother can turn rude and downright nasty when she's not happy about something, and this was no exception. She's got issues - but don't tell her that. An hour after they arrived, DH and I arrived and I had my mother sit down in the lobby so that I could handle it. The CMs were pleasant (although a little wary of me, given my Mom's attitude) and we got everything resolved, since we were the last to arrive. We were staying one fewer day than the rest of the party and WDW didn't know which of us it was. That is why they weren't checked in, and I don't think that was explained to my Mom. Maybe that would have helped diffuse the situation, but we'll never know.

JWB3
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Back in Oct. 07 on a solo / conference trip, I received a stern lecture from an irate bus driver. The empty bus arrived for pick up at CSR - I don't remember which park it was going to. There was a group of about 5 or 6 people getting on at the front door. As I was approaching from the rear end of the bus I just stepped on at the open side door. The driver went nuts! He read me the riot act about how no one was supposed to get on at the side door, policy clearly states, etc, etc. Now I admit that once on the bus I saw the sign that said please don't enter, and I apologized to him as well as the other folks on the bus, but he just kept going on and on to the point where we were all trying desperately not to laugh!

Now on the other hand, the next day another driver and I had a great conversation all the way to the park, and he even let me off closer to the entrance than the regular stop, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

IloveDisney71
03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I have rarely run into CM's who were indifferent, but I've never had an encounter with a rude CM. Thank goodness.
I wonder if sometimes a CM might feel unappreciated (I can totally relate as a teacher) so I always make sure to say thank you to bus drivers, etc. and take the time to share a smile or short, friendly comment to other CM's. Feeling unappreciated isn't an excuse for rudeness though.

WhiteRose1
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
As Management in a 800 person call center, I can tell you that it is very difficult to consistantly find good customer service skilled people. So many problems and negative feelings can be stopped with just a bit of polite behavior.

Sometimes there are only so many decent employees in an area. It can be hard to find the right type of person for the right type of job. I could do 10 interviews and hire 1 person in a day. I am responsible for morale building, events, parties, contests, games and celebrations, and I am very involved in the day to day activities of my agents, and I see the good customer service reps get pounded and burned out by abusive customers, and I have seen the nicest customers get abused by uncaring customer service agents, as well.

Unfortunately, people in the customer service industry and even Customers are not as nice.

In my opinion, *everyone* (customer service and customers, in general, not specific people!) are just a bit ruder today...sad, hm?

Ian
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Disney is still WAY above average in the service industry but, unfortunately, the service industry overall is WAY down. The younger generations (and this is a big generality, I know, but a true one and I'm say this as a GenXer) have lost common manners, work ethic, and respect for others. Where previous generations felt they were defined by their work and thus put every ounce of their being into that work, today's younger generations work simply to make a paycheck. It used to be live to work, now it's work to live. So, yes, CM's are of lower quality than they used to be, but when you compare Disney or Chick-Fil-A to places like McDonalds or Six Flags, Disney is still far superior in customer service.Well said. I agree with this totally.

I was going to post and agree with the OP, but I like the way you put this. I think it sums it up very nicely, so I have nothing to add really.

rmsongs
03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
We, too, ran into a couple rude CMs on our last trip. I was shocked, to say the least. I tried to remember that CMs are no different than anyone else; they have good days and bad days. But, then I'd think, "hey, I spent 8 grand to be here for a week and I want to be treated in the Disney fashion I remember from trips when I was a kid." That being said, however, the GREAT CMs far, far outnumber the few "duds" we've run into. And somebody mentioned training earlier. I, too, have heard the Disney has cut WAY back on CM training. I don't know for certain it's true, but I read it somewhere. If it's true, then shame on them.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Since my wife & I went to WDW for the first time in 1985 we have seen a slow but definite decline in the quality of the CMs.
I understand all the commonly given reasons, but to be honest, I DON'T CARE.
All of us have bad days, are mad because we didn't get a raise or promotion, feel we are the only ones in our group working hard, have issues at home,etc. But, as long as you are still accepting a paycheck you have the obligation to represent your employer in the manner they expect.
Yes customers can be demanding, they can be rude or even demeaning; but that still doesn't excuse poor behavior or being rude to someone because you are still angry at the person you dealt with an hour ago.
And it certainly doesn't give any organization the excuse to put people in customer contact positions without proper training.

Ok...rant over. :blush:
I am now returning to planning for our trip in June.

Mickey91
03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Since my wife & I went to WDW for the first time in 1985 we have seen a slow but definite decline in the quality of the CMs.
I understand all the commonly given reasons, but to be honest, I DON'T CARE.
All of us have bad days, are mad because we didn't get a raise or promotion, feel we are the only ones in our group working hard, have issues at home,etc. But, as long as you are still accepting a paycheck you have the obligation to represent your employer in the manner they expect.
Yes customers can be demanding, they can be rude or even demeaning; but that still doesn't excuse poor behavior or being rude to someone because you are still angry at the person you dealt with an hour ago.
And it certainly doesn't give any organization the excuse to put people in customer contact positions without proper training.

Ok...rant over. :blush:
I am now returning to planning for our trip in June.

I totaly agree. With the amount of money you pay, even for a Value Resort and base ticket (its over $70 for one person just to be there for a day), there is NO EXCUSE for CMs to be rude. We report all rude experiences now. It is still just a few CMs who can ruin your day, but one is all it takes in the right situation.

lockedoutlogic
03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I totaly agree. With the amount of money you pay, even for a Value Resort and base ticket (its over $70 for one person just to be there for a day), there is NO EXCUSE for CMs to be rude. We report all rude experiences now. It is still just a few CMs who can ruin your day, but one is all it takes in the right situation.

yeah....the problem is that the money you pay doesn't go to the employee.....

disney is basically bobbing near minimum wage....their maximum wages are ridiculously low.....no union raises are ever passed because florida basically won't allow a union with teeth.....

so while working for disney does make many employees try harder and excel.....it cannot be reasonably expected to do if for everyone

MinnieMommie
03-25-2008, 03:48 AM
I have had good experience with CMs. Not all go that extra mile and bring that special Disney quality to their work but for the most part they are very good and I have no complaints. In general the work ethic across the board is not (imho) the same as it used to be. That may be my age showing or it may be a trend...not sure but it seems to me in general people don't bring the same value to their work that they used to bring. :mickey:

Ian
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM

disney is basically bobbing near minimum wage....their maximum wages are ridiculously low.....no union raises are ever passed because florida basically won't allow a union with teeth.....

so while working for disney does make many employees try harder and excel.....it cannot be reasonably expected to do if for everyoneEh, I don't agree with that ... I don't accept low wages as an excuse for providing poor service.

First of all, how do these people expect to ever get a better job that pays more if they do their entry level job poorly? Everyone has to start somewhere ... there are folks working at Disney (like Marty Slkar) that started off making minimum wage and now probably pull down a couple million a year. It can be done, but not if you're surly and miserable all day long.

Secondly, no one twisted these people's arms to take these jobs. If you want more money, go better yourself and get a better job.

But really at the end of the day, I blame Walt Disney World management because they let the people get away with it. I know for a fact that frequent guest complaints doesn't always result in employees being terminated ... nor does it even result in their being removed from guest servicing positions!

If you want to blame poor management oversight of Cast Members, then I'm okay with that. But low wages are no excuse for not doing your job well.

lightyearfan
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
well i think that the problem might be just that these cm's are getting younger and i don't know of any kid ages 16-25 who has a serious effort to work. it doesn't matter to them, they would rather be talking and texting and being rude rather than doing there job. we have that same situation here where i work, they are more interested in everything else but work, if they had real bills hanging over there heads(mortgage,food, elec, etc), they would have a better effort because they would fear getting fired.

Victor

TheRustyScupper
03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
. . . at the end of the day, I blame Walt Disney World management . . .

yes, yes yes, yes , yes

1) I have been saying this for a long time.
2) A WDW President also said this.
3) As a senior manager, I know that attitude/performance originates from the top.
4) Good or Bad, it all rolls down hill.
5) Sure, there are always a few employee bad apples.
6) But, for the most part people react to management and to training.
7) Or the lack of either/both.
8) And, WDW has cut back severely on employee and management training.

joanna71985
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
well i think that the problem might be just that these cm's are getting younger and i don't know of any kid ages 16-25 who has a serious effort to work. it doesn't matter to them, they would rather be talking and texting and being rude rather than doing there job. we have that same situation here where i work, they are more interested in everything else but work, if they had real bills hanging over there heads(mortgage,food, elec, etc), they would have a better effort because they would fear getting fired.

Victor

Not all of them. I know plenty of students who went down on the CP (myself included) who went to work, and took it seriously. I love my role at Disney. There is nowhere else I would rather work.

MarkC
03-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I also have noticed a problem with young people texting when they should be working, although not specifically at Disney. On the other side, people's attitudes in general have unfortunately changed for the worse. Not everyone of course, but enough of a percentage that it's noticeable. I have had mostly great experiences with cast members with only a couple of minor exceptions, which I reported. On the other hand, I've seen a far greater number of guests that were flat out rude to cast members, and the cast members were the ones who took it. Case in point, I have a friend who works at Disney. He was checking in some people at a Disney hotel, and the guests wanted to borrow his car so they could go the mall. A manager had to step in, and the guests still complained that the CM wouldn't lend them his car. They had heard all about this great Disney service so figured that was part of it. So there are idiots on both sides of the line. Go in with a pleasant attitude and it's amazing how much more of a pleasant attitude you'll receive in return. Mark

lightyearfan
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Not all of them. I know plenty of students who went down on the CP (myself included) who went to work, and took it seriously. I love my role at Disney. There is nowhere else I would rather work.

maybe i shouldn't have said every kid so i appoligize if i offened the kids to do actually work, sorry:mickey:

Victor

SurferStitch
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
DH and I have actually noticed the WDW CM's getting better, not worse. The last two times we've been to WDW, we commented on how much happier and friendlier the CM's seem to be. I can't say I've ever encountered a bad CM, and we've been to WDW 14 or 15 times now.

King Triton
03-25-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't and won't defend them. I'm one of those CM's working long days, not to mention I actually go to college full time - I'm taking 7 upper-level classes at 18 credits. I go straight to work and stay there until 2-3am after having been in classes since 7am.

When I go to work, I'm about to pass out and backstage, I'm usually leaning on the front desk, catching a cat nap. When I go onstage, it's like I've been sleeping for 1000 years. It might be forced, and if you look long enough, you might notice it, but I try my hardest to be nice.

And, I can tell you from personal experience (even though I've never met her) that Jessica does go out of her way to be nice, even with that schedule.

And I've found that attitude to be closer to the norm than the exception. I've found most CM's to be very accommodating, very helpful and often willing to just chat, as long as they're not swamped. I also appreciate their dedication to the place they work... In how many other places would you see the same person working the parking lot on their feet all day, only to see the same CM that night watching the nighttime show (in this case Epcot) because they never get tired of it?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-25-2008, 01:22 PM
And, I can tell you from personal experience (even though I've never met her) that Jessica does go out of her way to be nice, even with that schedule.

.....In how many other places would you see the same person working the parking lot on their feet all day, only to see the same CM that night watching the nighttime show (in this case Epcot) because they never get tired of it?

Thank you so much for saying that! But sheesh, who would ever stay at work longer than necessary just to watch fireworks or parades?! :blush::secret: I love my job too much and last night an elderly Guest (probably early to mid-70's) said to me, "You know, you're a very classic Disney employee. You would have made Walt proud..." and I literally teared up and waited for her to leave before running backstage to grab tissues.

Next time just drop a note by me! Or be like, "Intercot rules!!" And I'd probably look up frantically trying to find the source of the voice. But, it's off to work time again! Gotta create more magic!

CaptainDisney
03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
LONG POST ALERT

This is a complex issue, and I understand and see everyone's point. In a speaker series lecture with the manager of Guest Communication at WDW (this dept. handles compliments and complaints) I learned that the large majority of correspondance received by that office concerns Disney cast members. That being said, Guest Comm. receives far more compliments about its CMs than complaints. I want to point out a few personal observations.

Unfortunately, WDW expanded in the past 30 years without much thought about quality CMs. The college program largely fills a labor gap: about 7,500 college students are working at WDW at any given time. There are all varieties of students, from those like Joanna, Jess and myself who take the job seriously, to those just looking for a few months of fun in the sun. The entry requirements into the program aren't stringent, just as the basic requirements for hourly employment at WDW are not.

That being said, Disney is a draw for happy workers worldwide. There are students from around the world, retirees from around the country, that come to work at Disney because of its reputation for excellent customer service. This provides a truly diverse, friendly, eager pool of CMs. Think about the number of times you've been impressed or delighted by a CM, whether 30 years ago or on your last vacation.

On the other hand, there are people working at Disney just to make a paycheck; I know plenty of them. There is really no way to get rid of these people. It is easy to say, "Disney should just fire those CMs who don't epitomize the 'Disney' experience." With a labor gap, this will not happen in the kind of massive purge that many would like to see (evidence of a labor gap is illustrated in such things as massive signing bonuses for many WDW roles as well as Orlando's lower-than-average unemployment numbers). Do you know of any geographic area that could supply 60,000+ "Disney-quality" employees? There isn't one. The huge system is simply too hungry to sacrifice anyone, even the rudest of CMs.

This size also makes it hard for CMs to ensure 100% satisfaction. I consider myself a quality cast member. I strove to provide excellent guest service and was even awarded a "Dream Maker of the Month" honor last semester in my area. All of that being said, I can still think of times when I did not satisfy the guests. There are times when I made them mad or upset. Although this disappoints me, I have come to see it as a natural part of thousands of daily interactions.

Turnover has not been mentioned, but it relates to the issue of size and has a lot to do with the quality of CMs. I worked last semester at the monorail and went back last week to work (I am a seasonal CM). About 50% of the people in my area were gone...in 2 months. The turnover rates in many WDW areas are staggering, and this naturally decreases the quality of CMs. For instance, even though I am a Disney fanatic and know tons about WDW, I misdirected people in more than one occasion during my time as a CM because I was just so new.

I'm sorry for the long post. I feel passionately about this issue. All of this is to say: size is the issue in my opinion. If you think CMs overall were more helpful and friendly in 1971, they probably were. Is it really that hard to believe, though? Over expansion is the culprit again, and we all know who ultimately gets the blame for that one.

Ian
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
On the other hand, there are people working at Disney just to make a paycheck; I know plenty of them. There is really no way to get rid of these people. It is easy to say, "Disney should just fire those CMs who don't epitomize the 'Disney' experience." With a labor gap, this will not happen in the kind of massive purge that many would like to see (evidence of a labor gap is illustrated in such things as massive signing bonuses for many WDW roles as well as Orlando's lower-than-average unemployment numbers). Do you know of any geographic area that could supply 60,000+ "Disney-quality" employees? There isn't one. The huge system is simply too hungry to sacrifice anyone, even the rudest of CMs.I think this is the absolute key issue in this entire discussion.

The resort is just too darn big to maintain any kind of true Disney standard across the board.

No one ever considered what expansion on the scale they've reached would do to their ability recruit and retain quality talent.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
No one ever considered what expansion on the scale they've reached would do to their ability recruit and retain quality talent.

This hits the nail right on the head, in my opinion. Finding and retaining quality talent is hard is any business, I can only imagine the challenge on the scale that WDW is.

I know I've struggled to find 1 good person, let alone thousands of them!

TheMartellFamily
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
While I have been many times I feel that it is true that people have changed though the years. This is not just here but all around and this includes guests and CM at home or at WDW. Ones work ethic is different than it once had been. We know that and we accept that. Now what we have to do is change that. While there has been changes in attitudes, we are the ones that can change it for the better. While I will be the first to say that I have had much worse experiences with guests and their attitudes I understand why some CM may seem bad. Just sit back and people watch for a few minutes outside a ride and see why a CM may seem different and have a bad attitude. I will say that the CM are lucky to have their job and if they do something great I will let them know. Yes you may see one thing bad by a CM but remember in your past and have seen 20 great things prior to that and they are intitled to bad moment with the way some guests acts. I know it is not anyone on Intercot but it is out there. Just say to yourself if you were in that same position how would you have acted. I feel thankful for the CM and what a great job they do, I is truely a love of a job that has to be had not for the purpose of having a job. They are a great aspect to a vacation that you do not have anywhere else.

EJS-Houston
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been very fortunate that I haven't run into any truly bad CMs at all...and while I agree that we should report any truly bad CMs to Disney, I would also urge everyone to make a point to bring really exceptionally good CMs to Disney's attention as well. Thomas from Calhoun, MS in the All-Star Sports Gift Shop was so exceptionally friendly and helpful to everyone in my party this past November throughout our 8-day stay that I felt it important to make a point of letting Disney know how commendable an employee they have in him. Otherwise all Disney ever hears are complaints.

CaptainSad
03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I went Wednesday to Magic Kingdom with three of my good friends and we were in shock to find so many cast members "losing the magic."
Instead of calmly telling us to exit the ride, it was more "get off" and such, jokingly, but boy, it started to sound more threatening at each ride. We also saw a girl on Main Street trying to secretly text on her cell phone while trying to sell balloons. It was so sad, especially since it was so obvious and she was running into people. The balloon sellers were hitting people with the balloons, not watching where they were going, and just ignoring the customers. Also, while in line for Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear, CM's were doing the "your shoes are untied" joke...without any laughs. One man was extremely angry...my friend simply just stared at the CM.

I know being at Disney everyday can be boring
(NOT), but surely they would find nice ways to interact with people other than annoy them?
Anyone else witness this?

OK people. I have been to WDW 23 times since 1983. I have been at the parks over 100 times during those 23 visits. I have never had a CM be rude to me and my family and I have never seen a CM be rude to other guest's while there. I have seen CM's be courteous and very helpful to everybody. I have seen guest's that have been absolutely rude to CM's, and those CM's biting there tongue and not saying or doing anything unDisney like. If you have seen these CM's doing something wrong, do you think it might have been caused by unruly guest's? I don't condone a CM going over the edge but everybody has bad day's. In the case of CM's it may be us. I know most of us supposedly know everything about Disney. When I was down in December for Christmas. I was up at the entrance of Cinderella's castle on the last night of MVMCP. At just about closing time 12:00a.m, I was just marveling at the Ice Lights on the Castle. A CM that was sweeping up the stuff some guest's throw on the ground that should be thrown in the trash came up to me and said. "Do you want to know something about the lights?" I said sure. He told me that the lights were ordered from Europe. There were over 250,000 and they weigh what two full Refrigerators weigh. I did not ask. He gave me the info.
I was on the POTC that same night. It was slow and the CM' that was sending out the boats asked me if I wanted to do his job. I got to send off 4 crews. Then after my ride though, the CM at that end told us to get out of his boat. And leave the treasure behind. Of course this was all in character.

I find Disney the best at customer service then any other vacation destination. They are friendly and they know there stuff.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I have had one bad experience with one CM in the past 12 trips that I have taken to WDW.

All the rest, including Jessica who I was able to meet in December, have always been great. :thumbsup:

The one bad experience happened this past September and it wasn't even that big of a deal, just surprising.

We went to the CS near the Pooh ride. I can't remember the name and I KNOW I should...lol...anyway,they have snacks, ice cream, etc. I ordered a few snacks and drinks for the boys, DH and I and asked for a bottle of apple juice for my 4 year old daughter. The CM told me they had them but they were warm. Now, we all know how hot it is in September so, I said that was fine, could I please have a cup with ice to pour it in since it was for my little girl and she was hot? She told me that they only have cups for soda. :confused: I have never had a problem getting a cup with ice anywhere in WDW so, I thought that was a little odd. I said that was fine, could I buy a cup and ice then?? She told me No, she didn't no what to charge me. Now, I was getting a little annoyed so I asked if someone else could help out? She then asked me why we couldn't "Just get her a soda"? I told her, still keeping my cool...lol, that I did not give her soda and she told me that other places sold apple juice maybe I could find a cold one somewhere else. Okay, then I was mad. I asked to speak to a manager, she said something to the effect that I was being ridiculous, and went off to find one. I wanted to speak to someone more to address her comments then the drink at that point. The manager came over, apologized repeatedly and gave us a large cup with ice in it. It was absolutely a minor blip on our great vacation but, it was surprising since we had never seen a CM act like that in WDW. Having a bad day is fine, she crossed the line with the comments she made.

I wrote and email to Guest Relations when we got back thanking them for the tickets we received to MNSSHP for 9/21 after the 9/14 party we were at was a rain out. I mentioned the situation and the CM's name at the end of my email and received a telephone call about a week later from someone thanking me for my email and appreciation for the tickets and also told me that they were addressing my other issue.

It was nice to know that our comments were considered and that they took the time to give us a call.

Mickey91
03-27-2008, 12:28 AM

so while working for disney does make many employees try harder and excel.....it cannot be reasonably expected to do if for everyone

My DH has told me time and again over the years when I complain about things he is expected to do at work: " I applied for the job, I accepted the job with the pay offered, I will do the job I'm told to do to the best of my ability."

Disney doesn't force anyone to come and work for them. People apply and accept positions. When they accept those positions, they should be ready and willing, while they are on the clock, to make magic for the guests they come in contact with. And when off the clock and in the park,they shouldn't feel the need to complain and turn guests away from the magic either. I have run into at least one such CM. There is one family of four out there who may never come back to WDW because of this woman's comments. All I am saying is if you are hired to put on a smile and say "The Carousel of Progress is one of Walt's best acheivements and you will love the show and nastalgia it brings"(which I honestly feel), then you should do it. If you can't, Walmart always needs more greeters or stock boys!

Movieguy
03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
I am 27 years old, and I work at a grocery store... and even in this place I'm noticing what people are saying about the younger generation lacking greatly in manners and common courtesy. We have one fellow here who seems to be on his cell phone more than actually working. It's quite appalling, and it saddens me beyond measure to hear of the same sort of thing happening at WDW.

I for one would thrill to the idea of being a CM. I've overcome anxiety issues I had with my job in the past to become an even better employee. I've always been reliable, but now I'm much more friendly, and take more pride in what I can do.

But there's one other thing I need to tell you about myself...I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have to learn intellectually, what comes to others naturally about interpersonal communication, and I have been learning at great length since I was diagnosed last fall.

What's my point? The idea that an Aspie like myself could possibly do a better job as a CM compared to some of the folks I've been reading about here is...frankly, a little scary, hehehe.

lockedoutlogic
03-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Eh, I don't agree with that ... I don't accept low wages as an excuse for providing poor service.

First of all, how do these people expect to ever get a better job that pays more if they do their entry level job poorly? Everyone has to start somewhere ... there are folks working at Disney (like Marty Slkar) that started off making minimum wage and now probably pull down a couple million a year. It can be done, but not if you're surly and miserable all day long.

Secondly, no one twisted these people's arms to take these jobs. If you want more money, go better yourself and get a better job.

But really at the end of the day, I blame Walt Disney World management because they let the people get away with it. I know for a fact that frequent guest complaints doesn't always result in employees being terminated ... nor does it even result in their being removed from guest servicing positions!

If you want to blame poor management oversight of Cast Members, then I'm okay with that. But low wages are no excuse for not doing your job well.

I kinda agree with that.....

But coming from my own perspective (I guy that worked for WDW right outta college....by choice....no arm twisting)...let me tell you that you perspective might change a little if you had my experience.

I worked at a Disney resort that was very "un-disney"...at least in my department....

It was a cattle drive....focused purely on volume...as we were underequipped to deal with the high volume we had most of the times....

that's neither here nor there...but while i first shared the "they're lazy...they're unmotivated...the managers don't do anything....nobody is forcing them to be here.." tact.....it became clear overtime that there was something not fundamentally right about the labor....

Because at one time....the pay was "competitive"...there were more supervisors....discipline was severe and just...and unwavering.....they had people standing in lines to get a position.....they rewarded all the castmembers....from janitors that cleaned the food elevator pit located inside the castle to the president of the resort - equally (with perks....obviously not pay)....

All that did exist....then they decided to get rid of it....it was part of the Eisner regime that became completely stock driven....and slowly draining the happiness of the little guy was a harmless way to do it......

but was it harmless? Because there are still thousands of CMs that remember....and they talk....they have break rooms....they have parking lots....they have downtime

So my point is that the responsibility for an individual to do his/her job for the pay they are given still falls on each person's shoulders.....

But it is a little tough to "go the extra mile"..."make magic"..."make memories" - which is drilled into everyone through dogma and propoganda behind closed doors - when the labor arrangement forces strange hours....low starting pay.....slowly rising pay rates....a low "cap"....stripped Disney perks....and a situation where the "rank and file" cannot ever live comfortably in Central Florida on what they make at Disney....and they deal with people everyday that obviously have much more for themselves than those who serve them.....

It's tough to explain.....but don't think that a place steeped in money such as WDW doesn't drain the will of the low paying employees that serve it.....this of course may not effect everyone the same....but it is there....

PS (if you want to blame managers....fine....but the managers at WDW are underpaid by their industry standards as well.....and pay raises and promotions are few and far between as well.....so the same thing applies to alot of the people who wear cotton and wool as well....not just those in polyester)

just a thought....there is no completely "right" answer to these questions

MushuGrl
03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
We encounter at least one bad one per trip. One out of hundreds isn't too bad. Especially if it's nine zillion degrees outside and they're in those hot uniforms. Don't think there's an amount of Pixie Dust in the WORLD that can help that.

Last trip we encountered a rude cast member at Hall of Presidents who practially YELLED at us for asking if we could go into the lobby 20 min before showtime.

We refer to her as Roz. :blush:

RoyalRoseBlue
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
When I was a cast member of the college program, I tried going out of my way and giving each guest that special attention that they need, granted I was only a lifeguard, I still felt that each one of us played an important role. Disney has a reputation about them and I couldnt' live with myself if I were the one to ruin it for a particiular guest.

mickey&missy
03-28-2008, 09:45 PM
We were in WDW 3/8 - 3/15. I encounter only 1 rude CM. A girl at Tinker Bell's Treasures who just seem completely bothered by checking DD and I out.

Other then that I encounter a huge number of wonderful, happy, magical CM's!

A few months ago I sent an email to WDW about all the wonderful CM's I spoke to on the phone while making all of our ressies. I intend on doing to the same about the trip.

To me, there's one thing I didn't see mentioned in the responses, although I didn't read them all. The number of rude people in the park. I mean awful, terrible people. People aren't nice and they aren't nice to the CM's in many cases. I'm sorry, but even if I was working at WDW there would be only so much I could take before I got a little cranky from people being rude to me. Just because someone is working and your paying a lot of money for a vacation doesn't mean you can treat them like dirt!

KineGirl
03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
The number of rude people in the park. I mean awful, terrible people. People aren't nice and they aren't nice to the CM's in many cases. I'm sorry, but even if I was working at WDW there would be only so much I could take before I got a little cranky from people being rude to me. Just because someone is working and your paying a lot of money for a vacation doesn't mean you can treat them like dirt!

I totally agree! I def experience this more often than nasty CMs! Not only are some ppl nasty to the CMs but to other guests! There are those who act like they are the only ones who paid an arm & a leg, took time off of work, planned for months to take this vacation. Then are those who use strollers for battering rams :nono: Mostly though - THANKFULLY- I find most ppl - CMs & guest alike are full of Disney spirit.

CaptainSad
03-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Let me tell you what I did as a guest. On my last night down at WDW December 22,2007, I went to Epcot the first part of the day and then on to the MK for the second half of the day. I got in a really good spot for Spectromagic in Frontierland. I was sitting right in front so I could video tape the parade. Of course you all know it is for the kids mostly. Just before the parade a CM had a blow up ball and was throwing it back and forth to the kids to keep them amused until the parade started. I noticed all the kids going back to there families and kind of looking sad that they had to. You know how people stand and some kids that get there late can't see. Well I turned and asked the kids if they would like to sit in front of me. Of course the kids asked their parents and I don't blame them the way the world is today. A couple of them were able to and we had a great old time. After the parade the parents came up to me and thanked me for letting them get in front. The CM that was throwing the ball before the parade came up to me and gave me a exclusive CM pin for what I did. She said a lot of people (grown-ups) won't do that. They figured they got their ahead of time that no one can get in front. I told her I have seen it happen so many times over the years. I'm sorry WDW is for the kids. They are the one's that drag us around. I think most of the CM's that some of you say are rude is because of us as grown-ups. Yes I know we spend gazillions of dollars to go. But I think we have to think of the big picture. Is it all about you or is it all about the kids?

pink
03-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Captainsad that was a very nice thing that you did. I can't even count how many times I've seen an adult block a childs view and such. Yes, you're on a vacation too but I think it is more important for the children to experience the magic. It is so much more rewarding to see the expression on their faces then to just watch it for yourself.

I'm sorry, but even if I was working at WDW there would be only so much I could take before I got a little cranky from people being rude to me. Just because someone is working and your paying a lot of money for a vacation doesn't mean you can treat them like dirt!

I agree- people act like the CM's should bend over backwards to please there every need. It gets ridiculous sometimes. Yes, they are working there and they are payed to serve you but they're still people! :mickey:

SpaceMtn101
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
dont forget you are dealing with a lot of cps who dont care about the buisness side of it and they just like the fact they work for a mouse .... there are those cps who do care ... but i bet the majority of guest complaints are on cps then ppl who work there full, part time , or seasonal

joanna71985
03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Of course you all know it is for the kids mostly... I'm sorry WDW is for the kids. They are the one's that drag us around. I think most of the CM's that some of you say are rude is because of us as grown-ups. Yes I know we spend gazillions of dollars to go. But I think we have to think of the big picture. Is it all about you or is it all about the kids?

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. WDW is for everyone, not just kids. The parades are there for everyone to enjoy.

dont forget you are dealing with a lot of cps who dont care about the buisness side of it and they just like the fact they work for a mouse .... there are those cps who do care ... but i bet the majority of guest complaints are on cps then ppl who work there full, part time , or seasonal

I have to respectfully disagree. A bad CM could be anyone, not just a CP.

WDWdreamer87
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice a few bad-day bound CMs. And yes, it seems that there are a LOT of rude people coming into the parks, so I really don't blame them. It's just so weird how people think Disney is this magical place (which it is) but then think they can yell at their wives across the room, spank their child for not wanting to ride Haunted Mansion, or yell at a CM for not getting good seats for the parade. So sad.

Just glad there are people like us who know how to "do Disney well." :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
i think it comes down to dollars and cents. those poor CMs get paid slave wages to treat us like princes and princesses. granted that doesn't give them the excuse to be less than courteous, but getting paid next to nothing doesn't always make you feel like you're doing anything spectacular. (anyone who's worked retail knows that!)

crazypoohbear
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I haven't encountered rude CM's. Ive seen a few that are less than "magical" but I've been sitting here thinking.... I have a lot going on in my life right now and I'm in a bad/sad mood most of the time lately, (well for the last 6 months anyway)
I don't think I could ever work at Disney and be happy and up all the time, right now I just feel like I don't like people! It is an effort to get up and get dressed in the morning Now I have to be happy???
Add the heat and humidity, the rude, unhappy Visitors and I really think I would blow my stack.
So... If you consider how you feel when you are having a bad day maybe we need to cut them some slack. Unless the really go out of their way to make you miserable.

IT has nothing to do with "I spent the money, they need to perform for me"
Just step back and think maybe they have something going on that is weighing them down.

McGoofy
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I posted on this thread earlier, but I had a situation with WDW telephone customer service earlier this week and the way it was handled by 2 different CM's. I wrote about it in a new post, but it is very interesting how one CM gave me really poor customer service and the other was above and beyond excellent. This thread sparked me to write the new post since it was way too long to put here.Check it out: (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1590359#post1590359)

Rodders
03-31-2008, 06:50 AM
I find it rather interesting that this thread is still running. I appreciate that I have only been twice as an adult but I have never come across a CM providing less than brilliant service in either of those 2 week trips. I am always in awe of the quality of staff that Disney employs.

I'm not saying that some cast members don't slip from time to time, it's just that I have never seen any of these slips.

I even find the Disney Store staff in the UK to be fantastic. I find their patience and happy demeanour to be infectious.

joanna71985
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
i think it comes down to dollars and cents. those poor CMs get paid slave wages to treat us like princes and princesses. granted that doesn't give them the excuse to be less than courteous, but getting paid next to nothing doesn't always make you feel like you're doing anything spectacular. (anyone who's worked retail knows that!)

I'm sorry, but the wages can not be used as an excuse. The CMs know that going in, what the pay rate will be. I don't work at WDW for the money; I work there for the magic and making people happy.:)

thumperbug
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
It used to be all CM had the "magic" you expect. Now, when a CM meets the "magic" standard I got used to, thats what I notice. To me it seems there are a lot of CM going through the motions. Not really giving the level that many of us have gotton used to.

There have been many times I have called WDW either for ADR or for assistance with something and you know by the way they answer the phone and give their name whether they will be helpful or just "doing their job". When I get the latter on the line I just do what I need to and get off the line.

My experience lately is that the CM on the phone are less patient and less helpful then the ones who are.

As for how guests in that parks have been behaving....well...I could blog about that for hours. Used to be everyone who was there was happy. Smiling faces, manners....not so much now. Now you get people cutting lines, being nasty, moving your stroller to put theirs in a better spot. People too busy texting on their phones to pay attention to the moving line in front of them, cell phones ringing during attractions, people who don't move to the end of the row they picked and make you climb over them....

I used to feel confident that if I left my stroller outside an attraction and forgot to bring in a rain poncho or something it would be there...not anymore. I truly worry on rainy days that someone will steal my stroller cover. How sad is that.

Heres a perfect example of how some guests behave....On my December 2007 trip we had some rain showers. When they passed I took off my poncho and drapped it across the top of my stroller to dry. Somewhere b/w the door and the table of the restaurant we ate at, it fell to the floor. As soon as I noticed I back tracked my steps and saw the poncho on the back of a chair. I knew it was mine. Not wanting to accuse a guest of taking it, I asked a CM who was standing there in a loug voice if she found my rain poncho and the Guest stitting there said "Oh I saw it fall and figured I'd keep it". HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!! She saw me pushing a stroller, saw it fall and rather then say "excuse me you dropped something" she decided she would just take it.

As much as I love, love, love, Disney...in a way I am glad my next trip (16 days and counting) is going to be our last for awhile. A lot of the Disney Magic is gone due to rude guests and less then friendly CM.

Imagineer1981
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I saw a few posts about bad CMs in the parks and it got me thinking...do something about it. When I was a CM, we got rewarded for excellent guest service, but negative guest comments also hurt us. If you a CM acting in a way that they should not...ex: foul language, bad guest service, on a cell phone, etc...tell a manager, ask for one. There are unfortunately some CMs that make it through Traditions and would rather collect a paycheck then be part of Disney, so if you magic is ruined by a CM, do something!

BluewaterBrad
03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Again........... I cant believe anybodys trip has been ruined by a bad CM experience. Again................I know people have off days or sometimes do things they shouldnt., but it have to be something very extreme for me to get upset at a CM. I hope I dont start a riot here but Americans need to stop whining and complaining about EVERYTHING!!! If leadership and situations are so bad in the USA then leave!! If service is so terrible at Disney then dont visit!!:mickey:

#1donaldfan
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
I agree !!!!!:mickey:

Crystal Palace
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I agree also. You should be able to fill out a complaint form at City Hall, unless that's changed (or different from Disneyland California).

In my experience though, rude guests have been more of a problem than rude cast members. Human nature at its worst! Haha.

laward32
03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I have to say that most of my "bad" experiences are because of rude guests, not CM's. I don't recall having a "bad" experience due to a CM. My experiences have been really great with the CM's. It would have to be a really bad thing for me to report the CM. Be glad your at Disney and let some things slide off your back.:mickey:

crazypoohbear
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
I hope I dont start a riot here but Americans need to stop whining and complaining about EVERYTHING!!! If leadership and situations are so bad in the USA then leave!! If service is so terrible at Disney then dont visit!!:mickey:

Or... Vote for change!
How will you know if service is bad at disney until you get there and experience it yourself??

CaptainJessicaSparrow
03-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree with Joanna, low wages is not an excuse. I think you guys are too lenient with the CM's, which is why they continue to work there and make your trips less fun.

If they don't like the wages, go work elsewhere. If they don't like people, don't work in the hospitality industry.

Contrary to popular belief, agreeing to work for Disney does not mean they own your soul. You are free to leave anytime you are unhappy.

SandmanGStefani24
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry, but the wages can not be used as an excuse. The CMs know that going in, what the pay rate will be. I don't work at WDW for the money; I work there for the magic and making people happy.:)

oh i agree, don't get me wrong. I just said I could empathize. You are 100% correct IMO.

CMs @ WDW are still MILES ahead of anyone else's!

Aurora
04-01-2008, 12:04 AM
For some perspective:

I made my first trip to WDW with my family when I was 14. We were just walking into the MK first thing in the morning in August. I grabbed a tree branch above my head and water from the tree (morning mist) sprayed onto my family and the one behind us.

The mother of the group behind us yelled at me: "You know, that was really asinine!!" This was minutes into my very first day of my very first WDW visit.

For those who pine for the "good old days," that was 30 years ago. The Magic Kingdom was the only park then.

Maybe it's not that CMs and guests are any ruder now, but that because there's so many more people, you're bound to run into ones lacking the "Disney spirit."

albino_pygmy
12-19-2008, 07:04 PM
As a rude CM, I didn't bother reading through the read, just skimmed through it all and I have to say, that this is an interesting thread here, figured I'd add my two cents to it.

Seriously though, I wouldn't really blame the CM's for 'going downhill.' If you want to point fingers, start pointing higher at the upper management who makes them work long hours for little pay, and rarely checks up on them to see how they're doing, unless a serious problem arises when they get a complaint. Even then, nothing much is done.

As for the type of CM's the OP has pointed out, they're just having fun, and as long as you knew they ment it jokingly, then it's OK. I do find it odd to see other CM's that aren't working in the jungle to make jokes such as "Your shoes are untied" while pointing at your crocs. While working at the jungle, I've always poked fun at the guests passing by as I'm greeting, and they're all ok with it because they expect that sort of nonsense from a skipper like me. However, there are the very few people are just have no sense of humor whatsoever that get dragged into riding the most horrible attraction ever known to mankind, Jungle Cruise. Stupid me for trying to make them smile, they just glared back at me and snapped back "Stop being so <snip> sarcastic all the time!" and I would have continued on but the voices inside my head said it wasn't worth it and let him be.

If there's a CM that starts doing things that don't come off in a friendly, joking manor, then sure, there is reason to complain. Same goes with those CM's who pull out their cell phones while on the clock or chew gum, or totatlly ignore a guest, and so on.

Daisy'sMom
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
No matter where you go, there's always going to be that select few who ruin it and make the rest look bad.. CMs included! As a whole, though, they're much more pleasant and helpful than any other theme park employees I have encountered.

During my trip to WDW last summer, the only rude CMs I encountered were at POP's airline check-in the day we left. Other than that, we found the rest of the CMs to be great!

My father had a problem with the luggage CMs at POP a few weeks ago when we met them there. They got there early (Before 10) and at 7 he called and was told that their luggage was being delivered within a half hour. At 11 that night, he went down and they were standing there laughing, one talking on his cell and the rest just standing there. He asked for his luggage and one of them sighed and said you have to look on the cart for it. Then went back to his conversation. My dad is over 70 and had to bring their bags up himself. :mad:

DisneyNut2005
12-20-2008, 11:27 AM
While I can agree that there are some bad apple CM's out there at times, to say that CM's are going downhill is a major exaggeration, IMO.

Most Disney CM's are wonderful and still do their very best with their jobs and deserve thunderous rounds of applause.

Of course, they're all going to have their share of both good days and bad days, but most of the time, they still manage to give their all (no matter what the behind-the-scenes circumstances may be) and put on the best possible show for the guests.

mom2morgan
12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
I just got back - we also went to Universal, Seaworld, and Discovery Cove. We didn't encounter any bad service or rude cm's the whole trip, but I have a feeling that the Disney ones were just that extra cut above. At Universal, the feeling was efficient, polite, but indifferent. At Disney there was a lot more "Oh, Princess - I love your hat!" kind of stuff. It just "felt" magickal. The "worst" was probably our server at Chef Mickey's - very impersonal and hardly said a word to us - but the service was fine, and we were there for the characters, not the waiters. Even then, when I handed him his tip he thanked me very genuinely and finally actually smiled and made eye contact. I would never dream of complaining about the server just because his personality wasn't exactly sparkling. I also noticed on several occasions CM's being alert for ways to help without even being asked - at DHS we were looking at little lost and a girl came right over to ask how she could help, and then produced a times guide to help us figure out where to go next. At Chef Mickey's I was wondering out loud what one of the desserts was, and a passing CM stopped to tell me what each one on the platter was. And then, of course, the highlight was the concierge at Beach Club who gave me a free cab ride when I messed up and showed up at Cape May the evening I was supposed to be at O'Hana's. The BEST service we received was at Discovery Cove, but for $300 per person and only 200 guests it better be!

tiggerbuddy
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I dont think its a "Disney" thing at all...
Its the society today that we live in..
Young people today seem to have no respect for anything or anyone. They just seem to care only about themselves. I was raised to call a man "sir" and a lady "ma'am".... When is the last time you heard a 16 year old say that ???

TheVBs
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
This thread was a very interesting read, and really got me thinking about our Disney experiences. DH and I call ourselves "Disney spoiled" because nowhere else we stay even compares to the Disney experience. Not that we don't enjoy our other vacations, we do. It just makes us look forward to going back to WDW that much more.

In our last 5 stays over roughly the last 10 years, I can think of maybe 4 CMs that I was slightly taken aback by. I could have reported them, but I honestly didn't think of it at the time. The experiences definitely didn't ruin our vacation, but I can understand how someone else might feel differently.

Do I think they have a right to be rude because of their rate of pay or because of the way someone else behaved? Absolutely not. I have never worked a job where it was acceptable to be anything but 100% professional. Now, saying that, I don't think I could do the wonderful job I've seen most of them do! And, no matter what the terms of the job when you sign on, that does not excuse management from doing what they can to maintain good morale. It really takes very little effort to make employees feel appreciated.

We have had wonderful experiences with 100's of CMs. The most notable of which was when I decided to call for an ambulance in the middle of the night because our daughter, fresh out of the hospital, felt like she was burning up. I think we had 3 managers there with the EMTs, making sure everything was ok and we had what we needed. Thankfully it was a false alarm and we didn't need to go to the ER!

And I also think back to when I was little and visited WDW (70's). I very clearly remember the parents muscling their kids in front of others who had been waiting longer to see characters. So there may be a little bit of rose colored glasses looking back to earlier times. I'm not saying there haven't been some changes in behavior and manners, there has. But people were sometimes rude back then too.

My plan for all trips - if I encounter a rude employee, I take a deep breath, assess how serious the situation is. If it merits reporting I calmly address it with a manager. And, most definitely praise those who go above and beyond because they deserve the recognition! :mickey:

Sorry for the long post. :blush:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
1) Maybe some of the comments about CM's are true.
2) But, I am hesitant to actually blame the CM.
3) Sure, there are good ones, mediocre ones, and poor ones.
4) But, it is still a case of training and management.

5) The management team now has less training and less CM involvement.
6) They are taught "don't let the BS hit the Brass".
7) As long as complaints stop at their level, their job is done.
8) Managers used to be paid to manage and train their people.
9) Now, training and counseling with CM's is a lower priority.

NOTE: I do not say that all front line managers are bad, but many are truly mediocre. There are few training classes about being a good manager. As one WDW President put it, the culture of the younger cadre of mangers have "just gotten away from me" and the critical mass of momentum can't be changed.

Miyagi understand perfect - no such thing bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.

Man, Rusty, your post brought back some memories!!

(Those of you born after 1980 or so probably have no idea what I'm taking about)

Seriously, Disney is still way ahead of the curve on customer service and employees. When I visit DIsney, I still truly feel more like a GUEST than a CUSTOMER.

Six Flags - wow, don't even get me started!

KevMcNJ
02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
we encountered one bad CM last week out of the hundreds that were part of our 4 day trip last week to WDW.
Not a bad ratio.
And the one who was a jerk to us was at least 50-55 years old. Cant blame that the 20-somethings that work there for that .

A doorman at POFQ was especially kind to my wife after we had just checked out. Wife was very bummed that we were leaving and this guy went out of his way to try and cheer her up. she mentioned getting back to our dogs and he wound up showing her pictures of his dogs.

The staff @ Brown Derby was very professional

We had a CM offer to take our picture while we were seated in Thunder Mtn RR coaster

I could go on and on.

BMan62
02-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Seriously though, I wouldn't really blame the CM's for 'going downhill.' If you want to point fingers, start pointing higher at the upper management who makes them work long hours for little pay, and rarely checks up on them to see how they're doing, unless a serious problem arises when they get a complaint. Even then, nothing much is done.

So, that makes them (management) just like the majority of other businesses out in the real world. :thedolls:

I've never had problems with any WDW CMs that I couldn't write off to a) having a bad day; b) tired - long days in FL heat and humidity; or c) me being stupid. For the most part, every CM has gone out of their way to make my stay extremely enjoyable and stress free. :thumbsup:

Mousemates
02-17-2009, 09:50 AM
We've had very few bad CM experiences...the last one was a fairly rude bus driver at FWC and she was obviously having a bad day. And it was no big deal to me, I don't let that kind of thing ruin my day.

I simply note their name, the location, and time of day (i usually send myself an email to record the details) and then forward it management when I get home. They need to know so they can deal with it.

Stu29573
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
IN my experience CM's are every bit as good as they have always been. I'm sure that there have always been instances of "bad days" and such, but not often. Also, I think some guests might have a little chip on their shoulder (I know I've seen it). Pretty much, though, if everyone plays nice things go well for all involved. :mickey:

RocknBev
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree that the CM's are not always the perfect bit of Disney sunshine but overall in my many trips to WDW, I have found them to be pleasant and helpful. It is always nice when they go the extra mile.
I believe you find that in every customer service industry!
I know that CM's have bad days too and I must smile and remember that...
A bad day at Disney is ALWAYS better than a good day at work!

Giggy
02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Can't recall any problems with CMs but then again thinking about it our mum normally did most of the talking. CMs at Disney always have seemed a cut above Disney's rivals though, if nothing else because they are ALWAYS happy. We always joke that the secret is pixie dust, they have it sprinkled over them when they go to work.

50 posts! :mickey:

MickeyMousse
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Thankfully we did not encounter any rude, oblivious CM's this trip.
What we did notice were the increase in older CM's that seemed to have been hired. One nice CM at The Emporium happily said that she was 73 y/o and had always wanted to work "with the mouse"!!!!

Ksmith75
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
We havent really run into unfriendly CMs the past two years, except for the 2 CMs at the San Angel Inn (but that is a whole other story). But I agree with some of the other posters - there is just no work ethic with some of the teens/young 20 somethings. I realize they only get paid like $8.00 an hour - but I am only 33 and when I was their age - I got paid less than $5.00 working a desk at a hotel - but I was still friendly and kind to the desks...it was my job to be. And the whole texting while at work in front of a guest is so ridiculous - but most teens text all the way through dinner with their parents too - so I guess they dont see it as a big deal. Can you imagine Cinderella texing! :cool:

CaptainSad
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. WDW is for everyone, not just kids. The parades are there for everyone to enjoy.

I have to respectfully disagree. A bad CM could be anyone, not just a CP.

I hope you aren't one of the people that tell kids the line is in the back. I have gone so many times to where the parents set up shop and sho sho others away. The Magic Kingdom is for kids, the rest is for both.

Aggie97
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
The Magic Kingdom is for kids, the rest is for both.

This is off topic, but I disagree that any park is "for" children or adults. My husband and I do not have children yet, yet we spend more time at the MK than at any other park. We certainly do not feel that the MK is not intended for us because we are adults or because we do not have children. A guest is a guest, regardless of age. We all can enjoy ourselves at WDW. :thumbsup:

Back on topic, we have had very few negative CM encounters over the years. The vast majority of CMs I have interacted with have been great. :mickey:

joanna71985
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I hope you aren't one of the people that tell kids the line is in the back. I have gone so many times to where the parents set up shop and sho sho others away. The Magic Kingdom is for kids, the rest is for both.

I don't tell people where the line is, but I do pick my spot in advance so I can set my camera up, and get to enjoy the parade myself. Also, I am pretty short. So I can't really let kids in front (since most are taller then me). And it is not a crime for adults to enjoy the parades too.

And no, that is not true. The MK isn't just for kids. The MK is for everyone. That's what Walt wanted- a place for people of all ages to enjoy themselves.

pink
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Disney World is for everyone. Magic Kingdom is not just meant for children. Everyone pays to get in, everyone deserves to see and enjoy what they paid for.

You are bound to run into bad employees no matter where you go. I can't stand the stereotype that all 20-year-olds are disrespectful and have no work ethic. That is insulting. I just went to Disney this past September and only ran into a few bad CM's out of the hundreds that I saw and met during my trip. Most of the CM's were wonderful and made our trip twice as enjoyable. However, out of the few that were bad, 2 of the 3 were much older than myself. Those were the CM's that were rude to us, didn't seem to be enjoying their job and were not helpful. :mickey:

cgriff
02-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I especially LOVE it when anyone says "have a magical day" or Welcome home!"

That is definitely a nice warm fuzzy... but it's not quite as nice as the occasional, "Oh, I believe there will be no charge for you today, Mr. Cgriff!" I *really* love hearing that one!

Imagineer1981
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Six Flags is even worse. The key is though to prevent Disney from becoming Universal. To "nip it in the butt" as they say now before it gets worse. I will say, being a former CM, that answering the question "what time does the 3 oclock parade start" for the 100th time in one day does wear on you

EeyoresBestFriend
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I promise to only be on my :soapbox: for a moment or two.
As someone who has worked with the public for over twenty years, and trained many customer service workers ~ I have two pieces of advice that may be blunt but true. If you can keep these in mind, you will most definitely be on the path to being a superstar CM(or any retail worker).
1 ~ The customer does not care what kind of day you are having ~ SMILE and Be 100%attentive to them
2 ~ No matter how many times you have heard the question or repeated something during a shift ~ Remember it is the FIRST time THIS person has asked it, so don't growl at them.
Okay, for the people who are 'Customers' ~ sometimes the 'witty' remarks are not as smart as you think. Think of how you sound and would you like being spoken to / treated the way you are treating this person.
Off the box now :thumbsup:
Have a magical day!:pixie:

Darbylew
02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
We have not ever had any bad CM's. We are
always talking to them and just passing the
time with them. I think they appreciate being
noticed and talked to. :mickey:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP OCT. 2008
NEXT TRIP MAR. 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
IS IT MARCH YET?

kemps@wdw
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Fortunately for us, we have yet to run into these "muggle" CMs. As someone who, for many years, has been on the receiving end of those people who firmly believe in the adage "the customer is always right" (even when they're not), and feels they have a right to be rude and disrepectful to CMs because of that adage, I can relate to the less-than-enthusiastic CMs. Disney IS a corporation, and as such, will experience the unavoidable detached and uncaring employee. But...as a Disney CM, they are highly trained in customer satisfation, and should, at the very least, pretend to enjoy their position. Just goes to show...you can put a CM in the magic, but you can't put the magic in the CM!:D But I have to give the WDW CMs their props. Even on their worst day, they're a thousand times better than...well...just about EVERYWHERE else!!

Stickey
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Based on my experiences at WDW, most CM's do a good job. Some are exceptional, while others are somewhat indifferent. The perceived decrease in CM service may often be the result of unrealistic expectations. Changes in society and the growth of WDW also impact the standards applied to CM's. Of course, Disney should emphasize superior CM training and guest service.

The comment about the MK being only for kids is very disturbing. This line of thinking is not consistent with Disney policy and it implies an entitlement mentality. ANY person who purchases a park pass can enjoy the MK, or any other park, without deferring to someone else. Parents are responsible for their children, not other guests.

TheVBs
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Most definitely all of the parks are for everyone. But I would like to believe that an adult would offer to let a child stand in front of them, rather than block the child's view, for example. I think the person who posted that did a really wonderful thing. Certainly everyone pays to get into the parks and wants to enjoy them to the fullest. I fervently believe it's possible to do that and still be conscious of your fellow vacationers and their different needs, including the children. Actually, I'd love to see the Disney attitude carry over into the rest of the world, but for now, I'll just be grateful that we can go to WDW and find it there. :mickey:

teamblackwell
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I have always had a great past with cast members but I have noticed sometimes that cast members do stuff that would make Walt disney mad. for instance I was eating at the liberty tree inn at MK and our waiter was excellent but when he saw my sisters phone he started to talk to her about it and said he had the same one and this made me kinda mad because you would think the cast members of that restaurant would want to keep a old time mood. this just kinda bugged me. I know that when I do the college program there in a few years I will be the best cast member I can be.

Here's a prime example of "you can't please everyone" This poster was mad and annoyed by an excellent waiter that was also sociable. Shame on them.

stitchaholic
02-21-2009, 07:58 AM
while i agree that customer service should outweigh all,while we were there on our last trip,we waited a long line to get on thunder mountain,when we reached the CM who sends you to which train we would ride(i was alone with my 2 children) he asked if we needed to be in the same train,i said that it didn't matter,we would take whatever was available,he thanked me profusely for having such a great attitude. this leads me to beleive that there are many people who are not understanding,nor compromising that the CM's have to deal with on a daily basis.

TheRustyScupper
02-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree with Joanna, low wages is not an excuse. I think you guys are too lenient with the CM's, which is why they continue to work there and make your trips less fun.

If they don't like the wages, go work elsewhere. If they don't like people, don't work in the hospitality industry.

Contrary to popular belief, agreeing to work for Disney does not mean they own your soul. You are free to leave anytime you are unhappy.

1) I pretty much agree.
2) I may not be bubbly all the time, but even on bad says I try to remain friendly.
3) Fortunately, there are not too many bad days for me at Disney.

4) Unfortunately, we have a few folks that just are here "for the job".
5) In fact, we have two that claim they haven't been in a park in more than three years.

NOTE: Let's face it, with over 62,000 employees at just WDW, even 1% unhappy CM's are over 600 folks. Some of the lowest paid are in the parks and are bound to come in contact with guests.

LoriMistress
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
This is off topic, but I disagree that any park is "for" children or adults. My husband and I do not have children yet, yet we spend more time at the MK than at any other park. We certainly do not feel that the MK is not intended for us because we are adults or because we do not have children. A guest is a guest, regardless of age. We all can enjoy ourselves at WDW. :thumbsup:

Back on topic, we have had very few negative CM encounters over the years. The vast majority of CMs I have interacted with have been great. :mickey:

I agree with you! MK just isn't for kids. Yes, it does have the classics of what makes MK a child's paradise. DH and I don't have children and we visit MK as much as Epcot.