PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century

crazygoalie39
03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey, I'm staying for basically my first trip ever to WDW at the Pop Century. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it. Also, does anyone have pictures of inside the rooms because I haven't been able to find any anywhere. Thanks!

DakotaDisney
03-21-2008, 05:12 PM
There is a page with pictures (including the rooms) right here on intercot.

http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/popcentury/default.asp

I will also be staying at POP for the first time in May.

Have a great Trip! :mickey:

pink
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
The pictures of POP on Intercot are great- the rooms look great for a value resort.

I'm also going to be staying at POP for the first time in September.

I've heard both good and bad things about the resort. For the bad, I've heard that the beds can be uncomftorable and that the food courts are usually busy during regular meal hours. (IE: early morning before the parks open, 12-1 pm for lunch, and 5-7 for dinner.) Otherwise I've seen nothing but positive comments.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

NLODisney
03-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I have stayed at Pop about 4 or 5 times. Mostly our first night when we have a late flight and switch to another resort the next day. I have stayed a couple times for 4 nigths and it is a fun resort. It's not fancy but the theming is cool with the huge icons. The rooms are smaller but I have always found them clean. I don't spend much time in the room as I am at the parks most of the time. The beds are very hard but I am usually so tired when I stay there it doesn't bother me. I usually get a prefered room so I can be closer to the food court and bus stops and I always request a room on the 4th floor because it is quieter. The food court has a nice selection but can be very busy and crowded depending on what times you go there. The gift shop has a nice selection of things I always find cool things there. There are nice displays on the walls near the check-in area of things from all the different decades. The lake is nice to go out and have some quiet, relaxing time by and you can usually see fish, turtles and ducks swimming in. I think that Pop Century is a fun Disney resort and will stay here again. The buses are usually crowded but I have never waited long for one and they don't share with any other resorts which is nice.

disneymom15
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I really like Pop. I've stayed many times and it's always my first choice. For the price you can't go wrong. I spend so little time at the resort anyway, however, I feel the pillows can be a bit hard.

tadshome
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I staryed at POP for the first time last year for 14 nights and I have nothing bad to say about the resort. It is very clean and mousekeeping always took the time to put my sons toys in to fun poses:mickey:

wilshade
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I have stayed at Pop four times and have enjoyed it each and every time. I say it often, the place has a unique vibe, one which I appreciate. It is busy in a fun kind of way.

I guess the best way to describe it would be to say that you feel like you are in the middle of a life-sized "Trivial Pursuit" game.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Just got back from Pop.

The place was extremely busy, but the only time we had problems with dining was yesterday when it was raining. There was hardly a place to sit and it was 9:00 am. The lines weren't long and it only took a minute to go thru the cashier line.

When we there early in the morning, it was not crowded at all. We never ate lunch there, and the couple of nights we had dinner there, it was between 4-5 and it was not bad at all. I don't know how the crowds progressed afterwards.

The beds and pillows we had in our rooms were excellent. The towels are rather small, but will get you dry.

Have a great time!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
03-21-2008, 08:55 PM
We stayed at the POP last September, and hope to stay there again in Sept. 09. We really liked it and it was terriffic for our 2 kids. We stayed in the back of the 50's and didn't find the walk to the main hall or busses bad at all.

The only thing I did not like there was the smoking area right outside of the cafeteria. We had to walk through it each day. :sick:

Everything else was great tho.!!! I would definately recommend it!

Crow
03-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Ive stayed at POP 5 times (2 times were within the same wk this last trip) all of them have been in the 50s area coincedentally. its a good location not far from main building. the backside of 2 of the buildings give you a view of the lake & Illuminations fireworks.
food court is busy in AM. buses to MK can be crowded. but its a value in a central location, better for me that Allstars. closer to Epcot,Hollywood Studios & DD.
If you have Disney Dining Experience you can get a 20% discount in the food court at at Classic Concoctions.
I have another stay booked in Sept.

jakeybake
03-22-2008, 08:28 AM
It Looks really awesome to stay there but I never been. :thumbsup:

Young@Heart
03-22-2008, 11:10 AM
We love it and chose POP over a mod for our Aug. trip. :thumbsup: I actually wish we had spent a little more time there on our last trip, since we didn't get to enjoy the resort as much as I'd hoped. There's lots to see and do, the food court is excellent, and I love the gift shop! I would recommend POP to anyone. :number1:

Mrs Grumpy
03-22-2008, 11:56 AM
We loved POP! Our next trip we are going to try out a POR but I am starting to miss POP already and wondering if I am making the right decision.

gnomelady
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I am looking forward to staying at the Pop in April. I have heard many nice things about the resort.My best friend from school and I are planning a girls time away . We went to school in the 60's I think all the icons will really be neat.What building would you recommend we are both light sleepers. I requested a ground floor room should I change to another location?
thanks

Jodi
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
We've stayed at Pop every year since it opened. We like it, I do agree that the food court is crowded at popular meal times, but, we typically beat that. The last couple of years, unfortunately, we have had issues with our room smelling of smoke :ack: ( when these are no-smoking rooms) and not having a refrig in our room when it was requested. Certain housekeeping people are rude at times too. BUT, guess what? We will be staying there again this year.

Carolanne
03-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Out of all the Value Resorts, Pop Century is my favorite. The food court gets a little crowded during popular times, but I think that might be a given with any of the resorts (we've had this happen with Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans French Quarter). Great atmosphere, and all the dealings I've had with the CM's there have been great.

Soul_Power
03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
We absolutely loveddd POP!

My boyfriend and I took our first trip to WDW last summer, and we had no complaints. We stayed in a standard room in the 70s building right behind the Big Wheel, and it was a short walk to the Hippy Dippy Pool and the main building. As a whole, it's the newest value resort and you don't have to share a bus with any other resorts! We ate a few times at the food court and really enjoyed the food, and I loved the gift shop!

Siigh, I wish I was there right now. Still hoping for December 2009!

PhilHarHarMagic
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
One other thing that "popped" into my head.

I read a post a while back about someone complaining about the electrical wall outlets being too big - that seemed such a trivial statement at the time.

Well, it actually was kind of a pain - there was one outlet (of the two) by the bed that would hold a plug and the one on the bathroom wall. I've never seen anything like it. I couldn't even bend the plug enough to make it stay in the other outlets.

There are plenty of wall plugs, they just don't work - guess they could chalk it up to energy conservation measures. :dory:

Volunteer
03-22-2008, 09:11 PM
POP was great; the only downside is that it does get a bit crowded. However, I would not hesitate to stay there again at all. You will enjoy it!

ASweetLov
03-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Pop is great:thumbsup: you will have a great time there:mickey:

momof3+twins
03-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't believe that Disney is dumb enough to put the smoking section right outside the food court!!!!! I will hate that!! I think I'd rather have people smoke in their rooms. How bad is it?

Does anyone know if Pop has those neat bikes that are for families?

Young@Heart
03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Does anyone know if Pop has those neat bikes that are for families?

From what I've read, they were (are) supposed to have them if (when) the Legendary Years side opens. :confused:

PhilHarHarMagic
03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I forgot to mention the toilets in the bathrooms - they have to be the loudest flushes ever. It's like a super suction happens! It's got to be saving water, but for someone who's body functions :blush: wakes him up early everyday, it's very noisy for others in my room and those rooms around me, I'm sure.

Taja
03-24-2008, 01:39 PM
I forgot to mention the toilets in the bathrooms - they have to be the loudest flushes ever. It's like a super suction happens! It's got to be saving water, but for someone who's body functions :blush: wakes him up early everyday, it's very noisy for others in my room and those rooms around me, I'm sure.

Those turbo-flush toilets are a bit noisy, aren't they? They had them at YC, too, so the value resorts are not alone! :) Fortunately, I sleep through just about anything when I'm tired!

Regarding room location if you are seeking quiet, probably away from pools (opposite side of building works fine), and a higher floor. Less reason for people to walk outside your door if you are a light sleeper. :)

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I've been to Pop twice, and frankly I like it the best - though my only other experiences have been at CBR.

The atmosphere, close proximity to everything, colors, cleanliness, etc were all great. Loved Classic Concoctions and the food court area.

The Hippy Dippy Pool - good times relaxing on the lawn chairs on a day after the parks...and chilling in the pool too.

Request 50's or 60's and you'll be quite happy, my friend. But don't forget to explore the rest of the resort too.

Enjoy!

Chris :hatter:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
The POP is a fantastic value resort. My husband and myself have stayed there in 06' and 07'. And this year we'll be staying there once again from 11/24 -- 12/5 ( 12 days of Disney magic ):thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
We just booked POP today for the Disney Marathon. We know it will be crowded, but we won't be spending too much time there between park hopping, running, and watching people run!

We requested to stay on a top floor, NOT facing the pool (experience from an All Star), and will fax or call a week or so before hand to request again. We know its a possibility not to get our requests, but we'll see!

I can't wait! I've been wanting to try out Pop since it opened!

BluewaterBrad
03-27-2008, 03:20 PM
We love Pop. For a value its great! We have stayed there at least 6 times and never had a bad experience. Have fun!!:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
No pictures, but we have stayed there several times and loved it! It has always been clean, comfortable and the people very friendly! I do not hesitate to recommend it highly! :mickey:

nyobabe2
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
As long as you realize that this place is crazy busy, you'll be just fine. Upgrade to a preferred location to be near the main bldg. It makes a huge difference. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Room is tight, but you're hardly in it. Enjoy!

Crow
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM

supertoilets tis true
but there are hidden mickeys on the wallpaper in the bathrooms

TheMartellFamily
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
We love Pop. In Aug it will be our 5th time staying there. It is great for the kids. The food court is busy at times but there is so much to choose from and it is all good. It is a value resort but well worth it for us. We love the resort.

bruin1344
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
pop is a great value resort, its better than any other non disney hotel in the same class

Davyjones
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
The Pop is a great hotel for a value hotel! :thumbsup: I did like staying there, although my all time favorite is still Animal Kingdom Lodge. Rooms are nice, location is good, food court is good, transportation is excellent since the Pop doesn't share their buses with any other hotels! My wife and I will be staying there the 1st week of May.

By the way, does anybody know where they keep the luggage from the Disney's Magical Express buses if you get in before Check-In time? We'll probably get in about noon, and they say you can't check in till 3:00 PM. So, what are they going to do with our luggage? :eek2:

mdhiggin
03-29-2008, 06:32 PM
If it's Disney, you can't go wrong, especially your first trip, since you don't know anything about the other hotels. We have never stayed the same place twice except FW when we had a motorhome. It's part of the fun. Though some were larger with more amenities, like a fridge in the room, they were all great with wonderful CMs and different theming.

Mickey91
03-29-2008, 11:31 PM
We love Pop Century. It is one of our favorite resorts!! Check out the icees on the drink islands and the tiedyed cheesecake! YUM! The decor is fun!!!

PeterPansMagic
03-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Does the Food Court serve Buicuits & Gravy?

Can adults that cant swim go in the kiddie pool?

Davyjones
03-30-2008, 05:42 AM
I do remember eating biscuits and gravy one morning last time I was there. Not sure about the adults in the kids' pool.

NJDad
03-30-2008, 05:50 AM
The pools are pretty shallow, unless you're not tall enough for Space Mt you should be able to stand up and enjoy the regular pools.

madi47
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I have stayed at the WL, AKL, CB, CS, and Pop. Out of all of these Pop is still my favorite. While some of the others were beautiful there were things that were not as good as Pop. The Pop also has the quickest and best bus service. That is probably the most important thing to me.

Jeany031
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I love POP Century is so awesome!:mjump:

pandkx3
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
We were at pop century in June '07 and loved it! True, it can be crowded, but anywhere in disney in June will be crowded. What value for your money! We have two adults and three children in our family, so we opted to get two rooms (TWO bathrooms!) at pop. It made all the difference having the extra room.:mickey:

Bringonthemouse!
04-06-2008, 03:50 PM
We love Pop... it suits our needs just fine. The pools are awesome and the foodcourt has a great selection. You'll love it!
:mickey:

reeders4
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
We stayed at this resort last year and it was nice. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge a few years back and that was nice also. It depends on what you are looking for and if you do not plan on spending much time at the resort then Pop would be great. I would book a perferred room because that way you will be close to the main pool and the foodcourt and buses.

like2workout
04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
i just returned from a week at Pop and i loved it! the whole place is fascinating. in fact, i spent a lot of time in the lobby alone just looking at all of the memorabilia. i would definitely stay there again. it's also a very festive atmosphere for kids.

homeschool mom
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
We love Pop! We have stayed there for our last 4 trips and will be staying there again in Sept. 08. The theming is amazing. A couple of my favorite family memories while at Pop: I have a photo of our two little boys (who at the time were 4 and 6) sitting on the bed and discussing all the things in the wall picture in our room, also the time our teen daughter wanted to know what those big square things (8 tracks) were at the 70s stairwells. :confused: There is so much to see and it is great to introduce your kids to a little bit of history on a WDW vacation.

We are a family of 7 so we always get connecting rooms. There is plenty of space in the rooms and they are very nice. I like the firm mattresses on the beds, but am not crazy about the pillows. I think they're too big or something. I would highly recommend Pop to anyone. Have a great time.

MauiMouse
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I'll be staying at Pop Century 3 times this year. I like it because it's clean, it's on Disney property of course, rooms are nice & the values aren't bad at all. I more or less need just a place to lay my head at night, not at the resort very much during my stay, so Pop is where I lay my head at night. :thumbsup:

*goofy'sgirls*
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I think its a great resort! I've stayed at the ASM before but I'm actually staying at POP in June for the first time too. Can't wait! I'm sure you'll love it. It looks like a fun resort.