PDA

View Full Version : How do you celebrate Easter?

crazypoohbear
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Just wondering who does what for Easter.
Growing up mom use to make all 5 girls new dresses with matching coats, new hats, shoes etc.
Big ham dinner (with cloves & Pineapple on top)
Mom would die easter eggs and hide them around the house (8 kids looking for eggs at once in a ranch house!) After a few days you could smell if you missed one! :sick:

Now that my kids are older, we don't get dressed up for church, Just getting them all there is a chore :(
We go to my sister's for dinner

What does everyone do?
Do you still dress up. ( I miss that)

poohbearlover15
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Haha thats funny about the easter eggs! We hide plastic eggs so its ok if we miss a few! When I was younger I always got a new easter dress but now i dont get that dressed up for church. We always have our family over for easter dinner!

Stitchahula
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
crazypoohbear that sounds alot like the easters I had growing up. Oh wait they were the Easters I had and I looked the cutest in the dress mom made. She did forget to mention though that the eggs were also our breakfast that morning before we all had to get ready for church. I miss dressing up for Easter too there was something fun about seeing all the pretty spring outfits on everyone at church.

daparish
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
DH family will be coming over tomorrow. I ordered finger sandwiches and other party foods. Sunday we will be going to my sister's for a barbecue and my mom also will be bringing the traditional baked ham. I also miss getting dressed up. My mom always dressed me with new white shoes, purse and hat to match my new dress as a little girl. She also made all of us Easter baskets until we moved out of the house. Now she makes Easter baskets for all my nieces.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
We don't celebrate Easter the same way as we did when we were kids since neither my sister or I have any children yet.

We'll have Easter brunch with my DH family at a local restaurant that has a great omelet station and then it's off to my parents.

Dad makes lasagna for dinner. Mom still makes us baskets....usually with some very little candy, some Easter decorations, a DVD and something else.

pink
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
The night before Easter we decorate hard boiled eggs and then eat them- we don't hide them.

We hide plastic Easter eggs all over the house for my brother to find Easter morning. Then we have a big dinner (maybe ham?) with family. Nothing to big.

Happy Easter early everyone! :mickey:

d_m_n_n
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I used to love Easter as a child. We always got up super early to find our baskets. Then we would get dressed up and go to Sunrise Service at church. Afterward, they would serve breakfast, we would go to Sunday School and head home to get ready for Easter dinner. That always included ham and my mom's yummy cheesy scalloped potatoes.

In the last few years, we would all get together for lunch and then get some mean kick ball games going!! Now Easter isn't such a big deal. In fact, this year we are hitting a restaurant for lunch and calling that our celebration. Oh well, it's about spending time with the family.

Dakota Rose
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Growing up, we too would get new dresses, tights, gloves, shoes, hats and purses. We'd wake up to baskets full of candy and other goodies. Then it would be off to church. After, we'd go to my grandparents' for a huge lunch usually of lamb and special Easter bread braided with the dyed eggs embedded. Plastic eggs for the egg hunt. Then a nap, then back to church for the Easter program.

I still buy new outfits for everyone in my family, but it doesn't include new hat, shoes or purse. We go to church then to my parents' for ham dinner. My mom still hides plastic eggs, but now she puts $$ in them so we "big kids" will go searching too.

MsMin
03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Since we have so many birthdays around Easter often it blends into the celebrations. WE do get together with my parents and my mom always struggles with what to prepare for dinner. She used to bbq turkey and I hated it b/c it would get so dry so I've talked her into changing it lately. We had prime rib last year but this year will have chicken breasts in a favorite spicy sauce. I'm bringing crab and asparagus soup and cauliflower au gratin and homemade mashed potatoes. Since New Orleans has their own brand of Easter candies, now made in Ponchatoula, we have those candies every year and dye eggs together...
This year the baskets will have bath and body works stuff and the 101 dalmations DVD for each of them.

RedSoxFan
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
We'll go to Mass on Easter (like we do every Sunday). DS20 is bringing his girlfriend (they attend Syracuse Univ) for dinner. It will be our first time meeting her. We'll be having steak kabobs, peppers/onions/pineapple on the grill, rice pilaf, salad and dinner rolls.

conorsmom2000
03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
As a little girl, I used to love getting my new Easter dress every year!! :cloud9: And I remember it was on Easter one year that I got my first pair of "high heels"! :D Except, I didn't know how to be too lady like in them yet and after racing after one of my brothers, I fell and tore open my knee! :blush:

Now, we have a brunch every year for mostly my family and Mike's Dad. The Easter Bunny herself shows up (my wonderful cousin Jessica has worn my neighbors Bunny costume every year since Conor was 2 - only just now is he starting to clue in on how "funny" it is that Jessica always misses the Bunny at our brunch! :secret: )

This afternoon we'll color our hard boiled eggs, then Mike and I will hide Conor's Easter basket tonight (I'm not sure if everyone does that - but our baskets were always hidden as kids). Then tomorrow we'll get up, let Con find his stuff and then start cooking (I'm trying 2 new recipes - yikes!) All the family will come over around 11, then the Bunny will come about 11:30. After the bunny leaves, the kids will look for their plastic eggs, then we'll eat brunch (I love brunch!). Everyone will leave around 1 or 2 and then it's a quiet afternoon for us. Normally we'd do something for dinner but this year all three of us are getting over being sick, so I think we'll just be crashing after everyone leaves!

IC10
03-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I am going to work tomorrow. :( As we grew up we use to dress up and I sort of miss that I am a tomboy at heart.

Our tradition is we play deal or no deal with the plastic easter eggs. 26 eggs, two kids, two different games, and different prizes. I know ahead of time which egg has which amount for each game, the eggs are numbered and each kid plays with DH as the banker. Top prize is $100.00 low prize is $1.00. In the two years playing the top dollar amount given was $14.00. The kids think they will always win the top prize and we laugh and laugh. They are older and the whole searching for eggs has little excitment now.

DisneyCrazyET
03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Growing up we all got dressed up. My parents would hide our Easter baskets. My first basket was from pap. I have used it ever since.
I hide the Easter baskets and my sons are 20 and 17(he will be 18 tomorrow). They still like to look for them. Now my DS(20) is in WDWCP so this will be this first time his wasn't hidden. I sent Easter candy down to him.
They both receive white (choc.) bunnies and other candy, shorts, shirt and change in their basket. When they were little they would also get legos.
We will have a ham dinner with scalloped potatoes.
Enjoy your day!
Happy Easter!

Piglet822
03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I came from a "mixed" marriage. Mom is Jewish, Dad was Protestant. We celebrated all the holidays :D
Easter was celebrated by the tradition hiding of eggs and an easter basket for me and my brother. We didn't dress and we didn't go to church but I was envious of my friends who did because it just seemed to be a real special time.
My ex is Catholic so we just continued the Easter tradition with our son - this Easter is my first with my boyfriend and his kids but they're older (16 and 19) so we're just going to have a nice quiet ham dinner at home. crazypoohbear thanks for reminding me about the pineapple - I forgot to pick some up :blush:

crazypoohbear
03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=conorsmom2000;1582269]As a little girl, I used to love getting my new Easter dress every year!! :cloud9: And I remember it was on Easter one year that I got my first pair of "high heels"! :D Except, I didn't know how to be too lady like in them yet and after racing after one of my brothers, I fell and tore open my knee! :blush:

QUOTE]

I remember getting to wear my first pair of "heels" as well, not pretty especially when you add in the thigh high stockings that were suppose to stay up by themselves... and didn't :(:blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
QUOTE]

I remember getting to wear my first pair of "heels" as well, not pretty especially when you add in the thigh high stockings that were suppose to stay up by themselves... and didn't :(:blush:[/QUOTE]

I don't remember that so it must not have happened. Quick, who do I sound like?
I'm having 3 sisters, 2 BILs, 5(?) nephews and 3 cousins over for dinner. But Crazypoohbear already knew that since her family makes up 4 of the people coming! And Stitchahula's family makes up 4 more.
I saved the mint green coat that Mom made me for years after it stopped fitting me. But I loved that coat, it was so pretty. I was looking through the sales flyers saying "which would I pick if I were still a little girl?" It sure brought back memories of getting the new socks, gloves, purse and hat.